Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As much as I love these big three WiiU releases, Kirby, Splatoon and Yoshi, they are really not going to sell a vast amount of consoles are they?
    I mean, they are a great treat for us owners of the WiiU but are they going to spur on others to invest in the machine?
    Still, the console has the best catalogue of games per current gen machine so there's lots to love about the machine.
    Not knocking it, just mentioning something.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think Splatoon could be a console seller for Nintendo. There is a lot riding on the reviews this week.

If it's all 9.5s and 10s, then that will help. If it's less than 8.5, then not so much.

The embargo ends on Wednesday, so I'll be watching for reviews with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I just got back from France and Spain. Plenty of advertising the Wii U over there, mostly the 3DS though.
    Weird that they don't advertise it at all here (that I've seen).
    A few of my friends that wouldn't really know anything about games/consoles, have all heard of the witcher, bloodborne or destiny, and/or a few others, but not one will have heard of Splatoon, Captain Toad, or MK8 etc..
    They all obviously know Mario Kart, but wouldn't be aware that there is a newer-than-wii console, or a newish Mario Kart.

I get exactly what you're saying, loving the games, but why release them without any (even small) fanfare? Why will people buy a console to play games that they don't know exist.
    But I do think Splatoon would shift a few consoles if people knew about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As much as I love these big three WiiU releases, Kirby, Splatoon and Yoshi, they are really not going to sell a vast amount of consoles are they?
    I mean, they are a great treat for us owners of the WiiU but are they going to spur on others to invest in the machine?
    Still, the console has the best catalogue of games per current gen machine so there's lots to love about the machine.

Are we really going to open this can of worms again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you don't like that can of worms.... maybe I shouldn't mention how MarioKart, Tamodachi Life and Animal Crossing are all still getting advertised on kids tv when more recent fare doesn't get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm kind of inclined to agree. Seems like Bayonetta 2 was the last game to come out that would have caught attention of people that would not generally follow the console already, whereas a lot of these things are more popular with people who already like Nintendo enough to own a console. I'm sure they'll still make sales on the games though.

The awareness is still just way too low on this thing. I've had plenty of people now come into my place and play some games on the Wii U but every single one is completely confused when I tell them what it is. Literally nobody has ever said "oh that's the Wii U, I know what that is" or anything to that effect. These are the same kinds of people who know exactly what an Xbox One or a PS4 is and even if they don't buy one anytime soon, they might at some point in the next few years.

Even people I know who are semi-gamers just won't be drawn by stuff like Splatoon or Yoshi. It's really strange but it seems like even people who will have loads of fun with games like Mario Kart or Smash Bros would still never even consider buying one over a PS4 or Xbox One with barely anything they actually like on it just because it doesn't seem like a "real" console to them. It doesn't matter the Mario 3D World or Bayonetta 2 were two of the highest-rated games in their respective years and it won't matter if Splatoon copies that success, for some reason it just feels like it's impossible to put these things into the living rooms of non-gamers, specifically non-Nintendo fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »
    I think Splatoon could be a console seller for Nintendo. There is a lot riding on the reviews this week.

If it's all 9.5s and 10s, then that will help. If it's less than 8.5, then not so much.

The embargo ends on Wednesday, so I'll be watching for reviews with interest.

I can see it being marked down for not having all content on release. I can also think of other areas they'll mark it down on, but I'm getting it anyway.

Question is how many reviews will mark it down due to them playing it wrong, like them trying to kill other players rather than painting, leading to them complaining about underpowered weapons, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm hoping it will get absolutely slated for it's lack of Off-TV play, which will be promptly patched in by the end of next week and a formal apology from Iwata to be posted to me on the saturday morning.

If the review embargo is being lifted on Wednesday and this is primarily an online shooter / decorator, does that mean that all reviews will be of the single player experience only or are the servers for the game proper live?

(Any reviewers bound by embargo, blink once for former, twice for latter, three times if there's a nintendo commando holding a knife to your throat and we should call the garda).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm hoping it will get absolutely slated for it's lack of Off-TV play, which will be promptly patched in by the end of next week and a formal apology from Iwata to be posted to me on the saturday morning.

If the review embargo is being lifted on Wednesday and this is primarily an online shooter / decorator, does that mean that all reviews will be of the single player experience only or are the servers for the game proper live?

(Any reviewers bound by embargo, blink once for former, twice for latter, three times if there's a nintendo commando holding a knife to your throat and we should call the garda).
    41M40jv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Banjo wrote: »

The servers are live (which is my theory as to why Saturday didn't go all that well), though obviously with only people with review copies able to play they have been pretty sparsely populated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have decided to move my WiiU into the spare room and hook it up to my PC monitor. I don't really game in the sitting room and it's just a waste in there to be honest. Anyone else have a WiiU hooked up to a monitor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are we really going to open this can of worms again? :pac:

But I'm no hater, I'm a self confessed fanboy but with a little frustration at the lack of sales.
    No one I know in the day to day, aside from the shower here and on the Arcade and Retro Forum (blessings be upon it) , own a WiiU, not a soul, despite it's superior software library.
    I don't know.
    I can see it coasting along until the NX is released, hopefully with backward compatibility with the WiiU/Wii, and then quietly dropped, as in the GC when the Wii was released.
    Hopefully the E3 will answer a few of these issues, principally with regard to the release schedule for the second half of 2015 into 2016, which all seems a little indistinct right now.
    I think it's Mario Maker, Star Fox and Xenoblade really, Zelda just seems as distant as ever.

A quick WiiU question.
    My 32gb is fast running out of space.
    Is it ok to just use a USB stick or am I looking at a hdd, what advice is there, what have you lot found to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

A quick WiiU question.
    My 32gb is fast running out of space.
    Is it ok to just use a USB stick or am I looking at a hdd, what advice is there, what have you lot found to work?

I just got a 32gig sandisc and lobbed it in the back, seems grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Have decided to move my WiiU into the spare room and hook it up to my PC monitor. I don't really game in the sitting room and it's just a waste in there to be honest. Anyone else have a WiiU hooked up to a monitor.

Yeah, does your monitor have speakers in it? As thats gonna be your biggest problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, does your monitor have speakers in it? As thats gonna be your biggest problem.

Unfortunately not. I've plugged headphones into the gamepad and that will do. I have just played some mario kart and i believe the games look even better on a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

I've mine going through a tv i use as a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Corholio wrote: »

I won't be watching it all these vids ruin the surprises:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wanna play it nowwwwwwwwwwww!

That
    laser grid
    looks like a great subweapon. You can really choke off part of a map using that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Allyall wrote: »
    I just got back from France and Spain. Plenty of advertising the Wii U over there, mostly the 3DS though.
    Weird that they don't advertise it at all here (that I've seen).
    A few of my friends that wouldn't really know anything about games/consoles, have all heard of the witcher, bloodborne or destiny, and/or a few others, but not one will have heard of Splatoon, Captain Toad, or MK8 etc..
    They all obviously know Mario Kart, but wouldn't be aware that there is a newer-than-wii console, or a newish Mario Kart.

I get exactly what you're saying, loving the games, but why release them without any (even small) fanfare? Why will people buy a console to play games that they don't know exist.
    But I do think Splatoon would shift a few consoles if people knew about it.

Saw ads for Splatoon on the box in the UK earlier.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

So what's the deal on Friday with Splatoon so?

1: Who's getting it Friday? (I am)
    2: Can we all meet online or do we have to wait for this first update for friend lobbies?
    3: If we have to wait, is there any way friends can play online against each other day 1?

smokingman wrote: »
    So what's the deal on Friday with Splatoon so?

1: Who's getting it Friday? (I am)
    2: Can we all meet online or do we have to wait for this first update for friend lobbies?
    3: If we have to wait, is there any way friends can play online against each other day 1?

It depends on whether it's delivered in time. If it's not, then I'll have to wait until Tuesday at least. :mad:

You can join friends in the same lobby but it's completely random which teams you're on. There's no customisation or matchmaking until August. :(

I have to wait for Gameseek to send it to me, I'm watching the order page to see if its been sent this week.
    There's a good chance I won't get it until Monday, but that's OK, I have plenty to occupy my time until it gets here!

Bad news about Project Cars chances of appearing on the WiiU :(
    http://wiiudaily.com/2015/05/project-cars-wii-u-cancelled/

I have to wait for Gameseek to send it to me, I'm watching the order page to see if its been sent this week.
    There's a good chance I won't get it until Monday, but that's OK, I have plenty to occupy my time until it gets here!

Don't you mean Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Bad news about Project Cars chances of appearing on the WiiU :(
    http://wiiudaily.com/2015/05/project-cars-wii-u-cancelled/

:(:(
    That's a shame..
    Some of the comments underneath are pretty bitter.
    Could it be more likely the cost and profit on the wii u platform isn't worth it?

I think they were a bit daft to mention the NX at all. That seems to have gotten more backs up than the matter of possibly not releasing it on the Wii U.
    I was looking forward to this on the Wii U.
    I don't think there are many other games left to be pushed back any further or mentioned for the next system, are there (apart from LoZ)?

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem?

Games expected to be released here in 2015 (Still a lot to look forward to) for the Wii U:
    Splatoon
    Yoshi’s Woolly World
    Project Giant Robot
    Star Fox Wii U
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Fatal Frame 5
    Project Guard
    Devil’s Third
    Mighty No. 9
    Rodea: The Sky Soldier

And I'm sure there are a few I've left out.

On a seperate note, does anybody know why nintendo downloads haven't been announced for this week yet?
    I can't seem to find them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I went to buy OlliOlli on wiiU last night for 4.99 but it said if you buy the 3ds version you get WiiU version free, sure the 3DS version is 9.99 so basically its not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't Project Cars a kickstarter game which originally included Wii U as the only console to get it?
    Them mentioning NX wasn't smart, but now I'm thinking neither was Nintendo mentioning it. I understand why Nintendo did mention it and there are plenty of people who understood them when they announced it, but now there are people using it as yet another excuse not to buy a Wii U.

Getting Splatoon Amiibo bundle on Friday from Smyths, assuming they get it in then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't Project Cars a kickstarter game which originally included Wii U as the only console to get it?

The Wii U was introduced about 3 months into it I believe.

Advertisement