Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is Lego City Undercover worth a buy, its for a 10 year old....

It's a great game, keeping all the kids (young and old) addicted :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Injustice god among us
    lego city undercover
    bayonettta 2
    wonderful 101
    xenoblade 2 (x)
    deus ex u
    rayman legends
    assassin creed black flag ( maybe )
    fire emblemx shin megami tensei
    wind waker hd

You won't be seeing Bayonetta 2 this year; there's no hint of a release date and Platinum have been working on MGR (only out a couple of weeks) and Wonderful 101 (apparently imminent)...they've probably only really got going on B2 recently.

Wouldn't hold my breath for Xenoblade or Fire Emblem either.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is Lego City Undercover worth a buy, its for a 10 year old....

Sure it is.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think I believe EnterNow when they say that it's for a 10 year old. To each his own anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kinski wrote: »
    Sure it is.:pac:
    I think I believe EnterNow when they say that it's for a 10 year old. To each his own anyway.

It is, its for my son :) Not that I don't love Lego btw ;) I just don't need to see €50 go down the drain is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Picked up Lego City yesterday and loving it so far!

Only issue I have it with the extremely long loading times. It's like an old PS1 game with the 30 seconds-plus loading screens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Picked up Lego City yesterday and loving it so far!

Only issue I have it with the extremely long loading times.

The loading times haven't bothered me in the slightest, maybe I'm playing the game in chilled mode or something????

Edit: I reckon if this had been a fast paced blow the crap out of everything type of game, then the loading times would have sent me over the edge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398718/wii-u-hardware-and-software-sales-return-to-life/

Some good news at last. Wii U sales jumped by 125% in the UK in the week till March 23rd and stayed around that level last week. It just shows what a few games (and an unofficial price cut) can do. They're still behind PS3 and 360 sales but the improvement is encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Deano7788 wrote: »
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398718/wii-u-hardware-and-software-sales-return-to-life/

Some good news at last. Wii U sales jumped by 125% in the UK in the week till March 23rd and stayed around that level last week. It just shows what a few games (and an unofficial price cut) can do. They're still behind PS3 and 360 sales but the improvement is encouraging.

you hear that nintendo , releasing games make people buy your systems.

its encouraging that 125% sales jump with a lego game, a somewhat port with monster hunter 3 ultimate and need for speed can do.

imagine when the likes of 3d mario and mario kart u comes out will do for the system

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

...but you'll have to wait a month or so to see if the news that U4 engine won't be ported is going to hurt sales.

• Advertisement

Taking what I posted a little too seriously... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you hear that nintendo , releasing games make people buy your systems.

its encouraging that 125% sales jump with a lego game, a somewhat port with monster hunter 3 ultimate and need for speed can do.

imagine when the likes of 3d mario and mario kart u comes out will do for the system

It does not need more Mario, it needs more main stream games. Milking their own franchises gets them only that far already.

I almost bough Wii U myself few days ago just to play monster hunter 3. I stoped myself, because after a checking the list of games coming and no support for unreal engine 4 i decided not to go for it. paying 380eu just to play Monster hunter is not the greatest investment.
    I bought 3ds XL instead ( upgraded from normal 3ds), but at least 3DS got a good few games I enjoy and will enjoy in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It does not need more Mario, it needs more main stream games. Milking their own franchises gets them only that far already

A new Mario Galaxy would be very warmly welcomed, that franchise has not been milked at all. NSMB on the other hand, I agree...can take or leave them at this stage.

Also disappointing re the Unreal 4 engine, considering mobile phones can run it its a bit silly the Wii U is seen as 'not viable' :rolleyes:

It does not need more Mario, it needs more main stream games. Milking their own franchises gets them only that far already.

I almost bough Wii U myself few days ago just to play monster hunter 3. I stoped myself, because after a checking the list of games coming and no support for unreal engine 4 i decided not to go for it. paying 380eu just to play Monster hunter is not the greatest investment.
    I bought 3ds XL instead ( upgraded from normal 3ds), but at least 3DS got a good few games I enjoy and will enjoy in the future.

You cannot get more mainstream than mario , he is the face of gaming.

Not this whole milking franchise thing again, look there has been only 1 3d mario game for each console other than wii with galaxy 1 and 2. mario moves systems i dont see your point.

Now Nsmb series has been milked so i agree with you there.

380eu just to play monster hunter i agree not the best investment but wii u has been on the market for 5 months and i can garuntee there be amazing games coming out in the next 6 years of the consoles life cycle.:)

I don't really get the whole milking franchises thing anyway. There's usually only 1 3d Mario games on each console(bar the Galaxy games but I don't think anyone is complaining), 1 Mario Kart and 1 Smash Bros. There are sometimes 2 Zeldas. Metroid skipped the N64 and we've only seen 4 console games since the release of Prime over 10 years ago. Star Fox hasn't been seen on a console for years, neither has F Zero. Donkey Kong isn't used that heavily either. The only franchise that really feels like that is NSMB, but even then there has only been 2 console and 2 handheld releases, 1 per system. It just feels worse because they're not really innovative and 2 of them came out last year.

Now I'd agree that they use of some of their characters heavily, i.e. throwing Mario into countless spinoffs, but I really just view these as separate entities to the main series that just happen to feature Mario. He's only really in it to sell more copies and could just as easily be taken out a lot of the time. The same hold true for Pokemon, e.g. the Mystery Dungeon games, which just throws Pokemon into an existing Japanese style of game.

april fools day is over, but this is funny :pac:

I don't really get the whole milking franchises thing anyway. There's usually only 1 3d Mario games on each console(bar the Galaxy games but I don't think anyone is complaining), 1 Mario Kart and 1 Smash Bros. There are sometimes 2 Zeldas. Metroid skipped the N64 and we've only seen 4 console games since the release of Prime over 10 years ago. Star Fox hasn't been seen on a console for years, neither has F Zero. Donkey Kong isn't used that heavily either. The only franchise that really feels like that is NSMB, but even then there has only been 2 console and 2 handheld releases, 1 per system. It just feels worse because they're not really innovative and 2 of them came out last year.

Now I'd agree that they use of some of their characters heavily, i.e. throwing Mario into countless spinoffs, but I really just view these as separate entities to the main series that just happen to feature Mario. He's only really in it to sell more copies and could just as easily be taken out a lot of the time. The same hold true for Pokemon, e.g. the Mystery Dungeon games, which just throws Pokemon into an existing Japanese style of game.

Nintendo are way too overreliant on the Mario franchise. The other two would never let that happen...it's not like Sony made three Uncharteds for the PS4. Or another one for the Vita. Or that other Uncharted-branded turn-based game on Vita. And Microsoft restricted themselves to a mere six Halos on the 360. Nintendo are the worst for it. Deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Nintendo are way too overreliant on the Mario franchise. The other two would never let that happen...it's not like Sony made three Uncharteds for the PS3. Or another one for the Vita. Or that other Uncharted-branded turn-based game on Vita. And Microsoft restricted themselves to a mere six Halos on the 360. Nintendo are the worst for it. Deffo.

I think that's what you meant. ;)

Nintendo are way too overreliant on the Mario franchise. The other two would never let that happen...it's not like Sony made three Uncharteds for the PS4. Or another one for the Vita. Or that other Uncharted-branded turn-based game on Vita. And Microsoft restricted themselves to a mere six Halos on the 360. Nintendo are the worst for it. Deffo.
    Yup and on top of that all other platforms only have vary small support for third party developers. So you can only play halo on Xbox, uncharted on ps3 and PC can go die in the alley as it costs 5billion dollars to play minesweeper...

Nintendo relays way too much on their mario, zelda and their spin offs. It's like putting all their eggs in to one basket. Yeah, maybe you got only few of those games, but that just makes it look even worse as you get so little of different games on Nintendo platforms that those franchises are just a highlight.
    There was a nice chart done with all upcoming games in 2013. Almost every single multy platform release was not present on wii u. And I am not talking about some sort of "pony simulator with ak47 3000", but almost any major big release.

I want wii u to do good, I am not a fanboy and I play on any platform as long as it has something good to offer, but reality is very harsh for wii u. They need to get finger out. Actually they needed to get finger out about 4 years ago. Now they need to get the whole fist out as they dropped wii u in a time between generations. To make it worse with complete lack of third party support. At least they got bayonetta, but that's only because they are funding it themselfs!

Yup and on top of that all other platforms only have vary small support for third party developers. So you can only play halo on Xbox, uncharted on ps3 and PC can go die in the alley as it costs 5billion dollars to play minesweeper...

Nintendo relays way too much on their mario, zelda and their spin offs. It's like putting all their eggs in to one basket. Yeah, maybe you got only few of those games, but that just makes it look even worse as you get so little of different games on Nintendo platforms that those franchises are just a highlight.
    There was a nice chart done with all upcoming games in 2013. Almost every single multy platform release was not present on wii u. And I am not talking about some sort of "pony simulator with ak47 3000", but almost any major big release.

I want wii u to do good, I am not a fanboy and I play on any platform as long as it has something good to offer, but reality is very harsh for wii u. They need to get finger out. Actually they needed to get finger out about 4 years ago. Now they need to get the whole fist out as they dropped wii u in a time between generations. To make it worse with complete lack of third party support. At least they got bayonetta, but that's only because they are funding it themselfs!

i stated awhile back that alot of games that are due for a 2013 release have been in development before wii u was even mentioned. now games like bf4 not coming to nintendo console can show a problem but nintendo and nintendo console owners are well used to this lack of 3rd party support.

they have not had 3rd party support really till the n64 days but they are still doing well.

its not like nintendo are going to have a bad year , there 3ds is selling like hot cakes and with the announcement of pokemon x and y you know that ****ing game going to be selling like crazy.

nintendo only use mario character alot but again the character moves systems and games and is the face of gaming. you are leaving me head scratching over the zelda comment though because there only ever 1 or 2 zelda games a console.

• Advertisement

i stated awhile back that alot of games that are due for a 2013 release have been in development before wii u was even mentioned. now games like bf4 not coming to nintendo console can show a problem but nintendo and nintendo console owners are well used to this lack of 3rd party support.

they have not had 3rd party support really till the n64 days but they are still doing well.

its not like nintendo are going to have a bad year , there 3ds is selling like hot cakes and with the announcement of pokemon x and y you know that ****ing game going to be selling like crazy.

nintendo only use mario character alot but again the character moves systems and games and is the face of gaming. you are leaving me head scratching over the zelda comment though because there only ever 1 or 2 zelda games a console.

I am happy there are people who enjoy those Nintendo games. It's great, but again, you can't repay on those games to save them. If I am not mistaken Nintendo stock is as low as it can be and they are not making profit. ( I might be wrong, but that was the situation last time I sow it ). So obviously they are making something wrong so?

I love 3ds and as I said in previous posts. I got myself 3ds XL to play monster hunter. This little machine is really great, even if I don't use 3d at all. Thing is 3ds is getting good games. It is the best handheld in the market. As much as I love my ps vita, it sucks in current state. No games, poor support by developers etc. so 3ds is doing great, but it helps too that competition is struggling.
    Where's wii u became a Ps vita of consoles world. It's sales are bad, poor developer support. The only thing that made wii u sales great last week (125% increase in UK ) was that retailers got sick of waiting for Nintendo to make a price cut and started to shifting the wii u stock at 199£ price point. It was to get wrid of a stock that takes space and nobody wants, then helping Nintendo sales.
    Like I said, I love wii u and I would buy it, but I need to see from Nintendo that it has a future. I personally could not give a feck about Nintendo franchises. Those are worthless for me. That makes wii u quite a bad value for me. I know I am not the only one judging by poor sales. And funny enough wii u was released with new mario game. It did not helped sales at all.
    My original point on the whole debate was: wii u does not need more of Nintendo franchise character games, but it needs more third party main stream games!

As for zelda, sorry. I just needed to list all of the Nintendo franchises or just say, Nintendo games. :)

I am happy there are people who enjoy those Nintendo games. It's great, but again, you can't repay on those games to save them. If I am not mistaken Nintendo stock is as low as it can be and they are not making profit. ( I might be wrong, but that was the situation last time I sow it ). So obviously they are making something wrong so?

I love 3ds and as I said in previous posts. I got myself 3ds XL to play monster hunter. This little machine is really great, even if I don't use 3d at all. Thing is 3ds is getting good games. It is the best handheld in the market. As much as I love my ps vita, it sucks in current state. No games, poor support by developers etc. so 3ds is doing great, but it helps too that competition is struggling.
    Where's wii u became a Ps vita of consoles world. It's sales are bad, poor developer support. The only thing that made wii u sales great last week (125% increase in UK ) was that retailers got sick of waiting for Nintendo to make a price cut and started to shifting the wii u stock at 199£ price point. It was to get wrid of a stock that takes space and nobody wants, then helping Nintendo sales.
    Like I said, I love wii u and I would buy it, but I need to see from Nintendo that it has a future. I personally could not give a feck about Nintendo franchises. Those are worthless for me. That makes wii u quite a bad value for me. I know I am not the only one judging by poor sales. And funny enough wii u was released with new mario game. It did not helped sales at all.
    My original point on the whole debate was: wii u does not need more of Nintendo franchise character games, but it needs more third party main stream games!

As for zelda, sorry. I just needed to list all of the Nintendo franchises or just say, Nintendo games. :)

i think there is the problem. :pac:

3oqezi.jpg

Nintendo relays way too much on their mario, zelda and their spin offs.

Of course, but the point was that Nintendo are sometimes accused of being too conservative (Yahtzee once called them something along the lines of "a games company with loads of money and resources that just remakes the same three games over and over again"), which may be true, but it's no more true of them than it is of the other console makers; they just have far better third party support to fill in the gaps, so the problem is more noticeable with Nintendo.

Third party support for Nintendo's home consoles is a bit of a Catch-22 situation now though: people who want the big new multiplatform titles won't buy Nintendo consoles because they're not on it, while the people who make them (mostly) won't put them out on Nintendo consoles because the audience isn't there for them.

IMO the best route for Nintendo in the long run is to bolster the Wii U line-up by buying into more second-party developers, and supporting ambitious indie projects; not much point worrying about GTAV or Mass Effect 4, which probably wouldn't sell well even if they can/could be ported over.

And funny enough wii u was released with new mario game. It did not helped sales at all.

Well, how many would it have sold without it? I'm sure in that alternate reality the gamers who bought the WiiU for ZombiU and an inferior BLOPS2 port would still both be very happy. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Joking aside I think you hit the nail right on the head. This is Nintendo's main problem. If you don't like their core franchises the Wii U is unlikely to offer you anything else. And would it be fair to say that people overestimate the popularity of these franchises? The last time Nintendo relied on these was with the gamecube and that was hardly a runaway success (plus they had increased 3rd party support then as they were technically on par with the PS2 and Xbox). Most people who owned a Wii had very little interest in Nintendo's core franchise but rather were interested in Wii Sport or Wii Fit. I'm not saying that said people did not pick up a copy of Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart, rather these were not the reason they bought the console.

I'm unsure of what the future holds for the Wii U but I'd be pretty certain of two things:

1) It's unlikely that we will see any of the major third party franchises released on the Wii U in the coming years as development moves to next gen engines (UE4, Frostbite 3)

2) The Nintendo core fanbase is a lot smaller that it was 10 years ago

Vyse wrote: »
    Joking aside I think you hit the nail right on the head. This is Nintendo's main problem. If you don't like their core franchises the Wii U is unlikely to offer you anything else. And would it be fair to say that people overestimate the popularity of these franchises? The last time Nintendo relied on these was with the gamecube and that was hardly a runaway success (plus they had increased 3rd party support then as they were technically on par with the PS2 and Xbox). Most people who owned a Wii had very little interest in Nintendo's core franchise but rather were interested in Wii Sport or Wii Fit. I'm not saying that said people did not pick up a copy of Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart, rather these were not the reason they bought the console.

I'm unsure of what the future holds for the Wii U but I'd be pretty certain of two things:

1) It's unlikely that we will see any of the major third party franchises released on the Wii U in the coming years as development moves to next gen engines (UE4, Frostbite 3)

2) The Nintendo core fanbase is a lot smaller that it was 10 years ago

i would like to say even if wii u has a gta 5 or battlefield game i dont think it will sell. the most amazing thing about nintendo first party games is people are willing to buy a extra system for the zeldas, marios , metroids. i cant speak for the same for sony or ms , people buy those systems for multiplats mostly.

i wouldnt call myself a mario fan but i bought the system for wonderful 101, bayonetta 2 , zelda games and metroid.

before the wii last console i owed from nintendo was snes. i had all the gameboys and ds and 3ds now but for the most part i played on ps1,ps2 ps3.

i bought the wii out on a limb after playing wii sports and mario strikers game at a friends bday. i had a blast with the motion controls and games so i bought one for my family.

despite what anyone says the wii was a revolution and while the motion itself was not new the fact nintendo actually made a system your granny could play and have a blast with family and friends is amazing. that goes for the ds aswell.

its 5 months wii u has been out now so yes , its future is up in the air but remember as i stated nintendo has not had proper 3rd party support since the snes but they were smart in making there systems profitable and not throw a console out to lose money. its why they have survived with their franchises.

every company brings out their franchises steadily as long as the demand is there. ubisoft with assassin creed, activision with cod, ea with their sports games. sony with uncharted, ms with halo.

tbh the most memorable games on wii were not even nintendo titles.
    madworld, fragile dreams, nights , last story, pandora tower etc..

nintendo had great 3rd party support (exlusivily) where i feel it mattered most.

even with titles i missed out on with no more heroes.

remember also wii had the best silent hill game this generation and had the best resident evil title even though it was just a port from the GC game.

never right off nintendo

I'll have you know the most memorable games on the Wii were the Galaxy games :p.

Otherwise I agree with your post.

Also, you really should have mentioned Xenoblade in that list. It's too good to be relegated to an etc.

I'll have you know the most memorable games on the Wii were the Galaxy games :p.

Otherwise I agree with your post.

Also, you really should have mentioned Xenoblade in that list. It's too good to be relegated to an etc.

oh i would of mentioned xenoblade but nintendo own monolith :pac:.

i loved xenoblade to death and is the best jrpg this generation.

i also think its the best looking game this generation aswell

• Advertisement

oh i would of mentioned xenoblade but nintendo own monolith :pac:.

i loved xenoblade to death and is the best jrpg this generation.

i also think its the best looking game this generation aswell

Damn I forgot Nintendo had bought them out completely, rather than just a large share. Touche, good sir (and yes, it was amazing).

Advertisement