Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's kind of the point though.
    In the previous gen regardless of whether or not you had a PS3 or 360 you just had to have a Wii as well, to own some of the best games of the generation in Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda Skyward Sword.
    Same now, if not more so, the best games of the past 3 years have been on the WiiU and if nothing significant gets released for the format ever again, and certainly the numbers of new physical releases of note are in single figures, then its still a format worth owning, though if the NX proves to be backwardly compatible it will seem like less of an essential.
    But its the only place now to play Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, SSB, Super Mario World 3D, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and Yoshis Wooly World.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Interesting news came out today that back in 2011 Nintendo had asked Criterion to develop a demo of an F-Zero game they wanted them to make and to show at E3 2011. Unfortunately due to time issues, and them working on Need For Speed: Most Wanted, it never came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

For anybody who's ordered from Game in the UK before, how long does stuff usually take to arrive? I'm considering ordering the Yoshi bundle since it's out of stock in most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Yoshi's wooly world has gotten pretty average reviews from IGN and Gamespot. :(

Good reviews from Nintendolife and Trustedreviews though. It's early days so will just have to wait and see I guess. I preordered it so hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Roark wrote: »
    Yoshi's wooly world has gotten pretty average reviews from IGN and Gamespot. :(

Good reviews from Nintendolife and Trustedreviews though. It's early days so will just have to wait and see I guess. I preordered it so hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

9s everywhere else, reviews about on par as Splatoon so I'll probably end up getting this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Do any of ye know if Smyths do trade ins? I've a few old ps3 games that I don't play anymore that I could trade in for Yoshi WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They sure do.

CEX will give better value though (if there is one near you).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Clearly Mario World is too easy

Looks like Smyths have seen the eShop price for Yoshi.

Amiibo bundle now €59.99. Though game on its own is €54.99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Looks like Smyths have seen the eShop price for Yoshi.

Amiibo bundle now €59.99. Though game on its own is €54.99
    What was it before?

I picked up Sniper Elite v2 on Amazon Warehouse Deals for €23 delivered, last night. Happy with that.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Allyall wrote: »
    What was it before?

I picked up Sniper Elite v2 on Amazon Warehouse Deals for €23 delivered, last night. Happy with that.. :)

The amiibo bundle was 70 quid last week. Happy enough with 60.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So Project CARS director came out and has officially said the Wii U version is canned. He also said he dislikes Nintendo users. Like, literally.
    'If you need to pass this on, we really dislike Nintendo users.'

So Project CARS director came out and has officially said the Wii U version is canned. He also said he dislikes Nintendo users. Like, literally.
    'If you need to pass this on, we really dislike Nintendo users.'

:D
    I remember reading somewhere before that Cadbury CEO really dislikes Mars buyers (JK).
    That's really pathetic, considering the reason he probably dislikes them is that a lot of them have aired their grievances about Project Cars.
    I think once they had announced plans for PJ2 (via Crowdfunding), it was definite (if it wasn't already obvious).
    I wonder if they'll rely on nintendo users on the NX.

It really is pathetic that a company feels they have to speak out trash. Just announce it's dead, and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Who needs project cars when we got mario kart :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's a lousy thing to say.
    Not the hardware's fault that they can't optimise the game code, more likely they don't want to spend any more money on it and lose what profits they have made so far producing the game for a format they'll never sell many copies on anyway.
    But the comment is unwelcome.
    I'd like to see if there is a wider context to the statement, I'd say they've been plagued with queries from backers patiently waiting for some news on the WiiU version.
    Do they get their money back I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'd love to have the time to peruse the Kickstarter small print, but I'd be confident that any project is a best-endeavour , kickstarter pledgers - like any venture capitalist - are taking a punt and there's always the possibility that the project won't succeed. In that respect the Nintendites rolled the dice and their money's gone.

But given that the project was a success and has been funded then developed, coded, tested and published on other platforms, do they have some obligation to satisfy all their backers? I wonder was the uptake on Kickstart from WiiU owners measurably low and their input relatively vocal and hostile, to prompt those comments? I mean, why offer WiiU compatibility as a stretch goal if you hate the community, unless the hate came later?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

BenHK wrote: »
    Not surprising. I think they could only get it running at 12fps on Wii U. The hardware just isn't powerful enough to run these types of games.

Its powerful enough, they just couldn't code it to run at appropriate fps. They couldn't get their heads around the internal architecture it seems, something which Nintendo will be looking at im sure.

Unbelievably cheap and unprofessional comments from them though.

Sure wasn't Wii U the only console it was being developed for at the beginning?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure wasn't Wii U the only console it was being developed for at the beginning?

Once they saw they could go cheaper by making it for the lowest common denominators that paid, PC, XB1 and PS4 the decision was made.
    Developing for the WiiU was just going to cost more money than it would make.
    But the dev didn't have the balls to say it and strung the backers along, up until now.
    Whatever about Ubisoft and their half finished games on other formats, at least they released Watchdogs, like they promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Super Mario Maker will come with 100 pre-made levels.

• Advertisement

Super Mario Maker will come with 100 pre-made levels.

Woohoo!

Day One purchase for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

mario maker amiibo bundle is up on smyths, bit dear tho

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think it's a lousy thing to say.
    Not the hardware's fault that they can't optimise the game code, more likely they don't want to spend any more money on it and lose what profits they have made so far producing the game for a format they'll never sell many copies on anyway.
    But the comment is unwelcome.
    I'd like to see if there is a wider context to the statement, I'd say they've been plagued with queries from backers patiently waiting for some news on the WiiU version.
    Do they get their money back I wonder?
    From here
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/let-s-not-overreact-to-the-nintendo-comments-from-project-cars-studio-head-3420420
    Bell was quoted saying, "Yup, and if you need to pass this on, we really dislike Nintendo users."
    This quote is from a forum post that has been active for almost exactly a month. This very forum topic is the the same discussion where Bell opened up to the Project Cars community that Slightly Mad had run into issues with developing Project Cars on the Wii U.
    The studio head detailed how Slightly Mad would have to do "a hell of a lot of work" to get the game running at 30 FPS. Bell had also been quoted saying Slightly Mad "haven't given up on Wii U 100%," and if they end up being unable to "make it work" they are prepared to move onto "the next Nintendo machine."
    Now, back to the quote saying Slightly Mad dislikes Nintendo users. This quote is in direct reply to individuals on the forum trolling him, one of which revealed they had created four profiles to simply do so. Bell's quote comes from utter frustration and is simply sarcasm.
    Bell went on to say, "Do you really honestly think I was serious when I said to a member that he should go quote that we don't like Nintendo users?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Context, it's all about context....
    And the reflexes as well, according to Ole Jack Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well, in fairness ol' Jack never drives faster than he can see, which now that I think about it is 12 frames per second - wait, is this whole thing a really elaborate but obscure joke? 3 Million dollars worth of backers and you can't find one Nintendo console to fit the bill? C'mon Dave, you must be doin' something seriously wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's weird, they were hitting 23fps apparently in 720p, but from what I read previously, they were only using a single core, which indicates real problems with them getting their heads round the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Come to papa:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

A Gunman Clive HD Collection is coming to Wii U.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Thumbs up on yoshis woolly world! So far so good anyway.

Advertisement