Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

/\/ollog wrote: »

Was anyone expecting this game to be good though, I'd be surprised.
    It's been in the making since PS2 I believe, so just that porting around consoles alone is a big red flag for bugs and ugliness to come up.

I still want to believe, no reviews haved talked about multiplayer yet, but i doubt that its going to be its saving grace. I want to see a video review highlighting the problems with the game, which will probably be coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some excerpts from another review:

"Devil's Third opens with a prisoner performing a drum solo in Guantanamo Bay, and it spirals downwards from there"

"The silky action that defined Itagaki's work at Team Ninja is glaringly absent here, as is the elegance that once backed up all of that violence. In its place is a stuttering, dreary trawl that feels like it belongs in the sorrier scatterings of a PlayStation 2 bargain bin"

"...combat is clumsy, and the free-roaming camera disappears behind walls and refuses to stay focused on the action"

"Going from those first few hours, then, Devil's Third is undoubtedly a bad game. It pushes beyond that, even, to be a truly atrocious one, one that now teeters on the edge of becoming a glorious car crash you can't help but stop and stare at
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So the Wii U's quite probably last mature 3rd party game goes out with a whimper as opposed to a roar. This had potential and I wanted it to be good but for whatever reasons all sites are reporting the same story. Could be the console caused problems though Bayonetta 2 says no. Itagaki just didn't care as game sales on Wii U have been poor and he's moving on to mobile platforms anyway. Or Nintendo have decided to cut their losses and just ship it as is. More time clearly would have fixed some of the issues mentioned in previews.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Mr E wrote: »

Why is this being written now? Cause Iwata died? We've all known this for about a year at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Wright wrote: »
    Why is this being written now? Cause Iwata died? We've all known this for about a year at the very least.

Unless your into Mario or Zelda I wouldn't recommend a Wii U to anyone... if its the only console you'll have then you'd be missing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Unless your into Mario or Zelda I wouldn't recommend a Wii U to anyone...

Wii U exclusive games.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wii_U-only_games

Apart from that list - the Gamepad itself is a great reason to buy it.
    I love relaxing and playing a game on the gamepad with the TV on in the background. All of the games in the above list, and many indie games that I have more than once.
    I am hoping humble nindie bundle still happens over here, I buy a lot of games on the eshop, and plan on continuing to do so.

if its the only console you'll have then you'd be missing so much.
    If you only owned one of the others, you'd be missing out on so much more at this moment.

Allyall wrote: »
    Wii U exclusive games.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wii_U-only_games

Apart from that list - the Gamepad itself is a great reason to buy it.
    I love relaxing and playing a game on the gamepad with the TV on in the background. All of the games in the above list, and many indie games that I have more than once.
    I am hoping humble nindie bundle still happens over here, I buy a lot of games on the eshop, and plan on continuing to do so.

If you only owned one of the others, you'd be missing out on so much more at this moment.

Like I said... if your into Mario or Zelda it's good but like me if your not, I'm missing nothing by having a PS4, from my view if I only had a Wii U I'd be missing a hell of alot more than if I only had a PS4, can't think of a single Wii U game that's a must have, I adore Yoshi's Woolly World and it's my only Wii U game but it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Like I said... if your into Mario or Zelda it's good but like me if your not, I'm missing nothing by having a PS4, from my view if I only had a Wii U I'd be missing a hell of alot more than if I only had a PS4, can't think of a single Wii U game that's a must have, I adore Yoshi's Woolly World and it's my only Wii U game but it's not for everyone.

I have a PC and a WiiU, it's the best combination to have. The PS4 & X1 are a massive next gen dissapointment, both struggle to play games at 60fps/1080p and have hardly any decent games. The WiiU has a way better library of games than the PS4, the only reason to own a PS4 is because of naughty dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have a PC and a WiiU, it's the best combination to have. The PS4 & X1 are a massive next gen dissapointment, both struggle to play games at 60fps/1080p and have hardly any decent games. The WiiU has a way better library of games than the PS4, the only reason to own a PS4 is because of naughty dog.

PC, wii u and new 3ds XL here 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Smash Bros and even Mario Kart 8 (because you don't need to be into Mario to appreciate a fantastic racing game) are all top quality titles. I don't really know what I'm missing in a PS4 to be honest, the catalogue isn't as good. The PS4 will be a quality console to have in terms of library because Sony always maximise that, but as of now there isn't that much.

Crappy internet double post.

Unless your into Mario or Zelda I wouldn't recommend a Wii U to anyone... if its the only console you'll have then you'd be missing so much.

Funny I wouldn't recommend the Wii U based on its Mario or Zelda offerings, there's much better on the system... do you even own one?

If it was someones only console they'd be fine, depending on their age, but yes more multiplats would be good. I typically run with all consoles and a PC, and find myself going back to the Wii U though. Personal experience and all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

Blanket disliking an entire franchise because of the protagonist is a big problem for Nintendo, as you highlight.

Funny I wouldn't recommend the Wii U based on its Mario or Zelda offerings, there's much better on the system... do you even own one?

If it was someones only console they'd be fine, depending on their age, but yes more multiplats would be good. I typically run with all consoles and a PC, and find myself going back to the Wii U though. Personal experience and all that though.

Yes I do have a Wii U and Yoshi's game, that's it, nothing else interest me, I prefer Forza for my cars and racing and COD for my shooting so Mario Kart and Splatoon don't interest me as they are too youngish. As of PC... can't play Batman can ya :P

I didn't quote again, only because that post has been quoted loads already (rightly so, what did you expect posting negatives in a positive forum :D ).

Each to their own.
    The Wii U is not just about Mario and Zelda, - as has been mentioned and pointed out in previous posts.
    That would be the equivalent of me saying that the PS4 doesn't have any games..
    It's (I apologise in advance) stupid to say so.

It's obvious that you haven't played all of the Wii U exclusive games, and in some cases the 3rd party.
    The Indies and the general use of the control pad.

Do that, and prove it.

Then come back.

Then speak like you know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes I do have a Wii U and Yoshi's game, that's it, nothing else interest me, I prefer Forza for my cars and racing and COD for my shooting so Mario Kart and Splatoon don't interest me as they are too youngish. As of PC... can't play Batman can ya :P

They tried to release a broken game, got called out on it and have gone back to fix it. Compare that to Halo TMCC on the X1, one of the most hyped games in recent years that is still broken to this day.

You have one game for it, that isn't Mario or Zelda, but you'd only recommend Mario and Zelda for it? How can you recommend them if you don't own them?

Judging by your COD affliction I'm guessing youre rather young. I'm 30, so let me impart some sagely advice. I like my dark and mature games too, but colour does not equal 'for kids'. Splatoon and most of the first party library on Wii U are excellent. It's good to mix it up; to put down Battlefield for a while and pick up Smash Bros. Open your mind. ;)

Going by the username, I'd guess 23.
    By the post, I'd say 14.
    (Only because my Nephew that lives abroad used to be hooked on the CoD games and is now a bit tired of them, is just gone 16).
    Open your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7iQbBbMAFE :D

They got Jeff Goldlbum and Hellboy for COD:Zombies this year, tempted to just back in for the first time since BLOPS 1 to be honest.

(I wish we could just buy all the zombie packs released over the years standalone. They look hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think that Nintendo owners of some years are well past trying to convince nay sayers of their mistake.
    How many times have we seen a post along the lines of "Nintendo games are for kids" and then we fly into action, pointing out their folly but just waste effort typing.
    We know the games on the WiiU are, right now, better than the combined exclusives for the XB1 and PS4.
    And that's an objective fact based on reviews.
    If someone is dumb enough to suppose a game is for children based on its colour palette then there is no saving them.
    Just leave them to their gunw@nk games and Ubi clone titles and be done with it.
    While they are climbing up yet another tower/antenna to unlock the next bit of jungle/city and convincing themselves they are playing a new game, we'll be all smug like and know they are full of sh1te

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think that Nintendo owners of some years are well past trying to convince nay sayers of their mistake.
    How many times have we seen a post along the lines of "Nintendo games are for kids" and then we fly into action, pointing out their folly but just waste effort typing.
    We know the games on the WiiU are, right now, better than the combined exclusives for the XB1 and PS4.
    If someone is dumb enough to suppose a game is for children based on its colour palette then there is no saving them.
    Just leave them to their gunw@nk games and Ubi clone titles and be done with it.
    While they are climbing up yet another tower/antenna to unlock the next bit of jungle/city and convincing themselves they are playing a new game, we'll be all smug like and know they are full of sh1te

While that was hilarious, you're veering very close to the 'every Zelda/Mario game is the same' argument :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mhm, there's no point getting angry, just say it's a silly point of view to have and let them have their AAA hardcore games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While that was hilarious, you're veering very close to the 'every Zelda/Mario game is the same' argument :P

Except that we have games that are very similar, discrete series like NSMB, and games series that may share characters but the gameplay is very different, like 3D World/Land.
    Zelda games are well known to share a lot of DNA between each iteration but the saving grace is you only get perhaps two unique Zelda titles per platform rather than the annual updates for each Ubisoft franchise and the sad truth that Far Cry, Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed are not much more than just reskins of the very same game, over and over again.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Mhm, there's no point getting angry, just say it's a silly point of view to have and let them have their AAA hardcore games.

Don't make me hungry, you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry....

But sure getting annoyed is all part of the fun, what's nerd rage without the rage?

You have one game for it, that isn't Mario or Zelda, but you'd only recommend Mario and Zelda for it? How can you recommend them if you don't own them?

Judging by your COD affliction I'm guessing youre rather young. I'm 30, so let me impart some sagely advice. I like my dark and mature games too, but colour does not equal 'for kids'. Splatoon and most of the first party library on Wii U are excellent. It's good to mix it up; to put down Battlefield for a while and pick up Smash Bros. Open your mind. ;)

I'm 27 so maybe that's why Nintendo doesn't interest me as all their games are aimed at kids, I'd class Yoshi as a Mario kinda game only good, I know that comment about kids games is gonna annoy people but its true, they take pride in kids gaming but for me I prefer the more realistic game, play what you want, I don't have time to waste hours trying these Wii U games I know I won't like and not gonna waste money, maybe if they had demo's but nope.

Also Battlefield is rubbish and I never got the appeal over Smash, played it for a few on the Gamecube with my friend and what mess :/

all their games are aimed at kids

Also Battlefield is rubbish and I never got the appeal over Smash, played it for a few on the Gamecube with my friend and what mess :/

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I'd class Yoshi as a Mario kinda game only good, I know that comment about kids games is gonna annoy people but its true, they take pride in kids gaming but for me I prefer the more realistic game, play what you want, I don't have time to waste hours trying these Wii U games I know I won't like and not gonna waste money, maybe if they had demo's but nope./

Yeah, I had typed a big retort, and it got insulting at one stage, involving opinions and body cavities, there may have been some shoving implied also.

You have an opinion and that's great and valid, for you.
    The rest of us, with a broader appreciation for everything gaming has to offer, will continue to love Nintendo's output, in addition to the other consoles in our collection.
    You see, what you forget is that, although we are WiiU owners in the main here, as well as 3DS and other Nintendo hardware, we also own PS4's, PS3's, Xbox One's and 360's.
    We can play all of the games that you find so irresistible and the stuff on the WiiU as well.
    So, I can play Bloodborne on the PS4, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on my PS3, Deadly Premonition on my 360 and follow that up with a game of Asteroids on my Vectrex, and then top it off with a blast of Bayonetta 2 on my WiiU.

Pity the fool who discounts an entire library of games because on an ill informed opinion.
    Pity him more that the only game he plays on the format is the too damn easy Woolly World.

Yeah, I had typed a big retort, and it got insulting at one stage, involving opinions and body cavities, there may have been some shoving implied also.

You have an opinion and that's great and valid, for you.
    The rest of us, with a broader appreciation for everything gaming has to offer, will continue to love Nintendo's output, in addition to the other consoles in our collection.
    You see, what you forget is that, although we are WiiU owners in the main here, as well as 3DS and other Nintendo hardware, we also own PS4's, PS3's, Xbox One's and 360's.
    We can play all of the games that you find so irresistible and the stuff on the WiiU as well.
    So, I can play Bloodborne on the PS4, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on my PS3, Deadly Premonition on my 360 and follow that up with a game of Asteroids on my Vectrex, and then top it off with a blast of Bayonetta 2 on my WiiU.

Pity the fool who discounts an entire library of games because on an ill informed opinion.
    Pity him more that the only game he plays on the format is the too damn easy Woolly World.

I'm not insulting anyone, I didn't say it was ****, I just said it's not for me, people here are the ones slagging off AAA games and me for liking COD, so what, I play what I like, you guys do the same.

The reason I discount Mario and Zelda is because I have zero interest in playing the exact same game since 1988 over and over, I doubt you lot here love every single game, you don't like a series for whatever reason and nothing is gonna change it, I also hate Halo and MGS so clearly I hate PS4 and XB1 too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm 27 so maybe that's why Nintendo doesn't interest me as all their games are aimed at kids.

ITM50O3.gif

Shamelessly stolen from the TV forum. :)

Advertisement