Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    ...me for liking COD...

...I have zero interest in playing the exact same game since 1988 over and over...

This doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I must be doing something wrong. I'm 27 and at least 6 of my 10 favourite games of all time are from Nintendo (with 4 different franchises covered).

I need to reconsider my life and gaming choices it seems.

Also, you say all Mario and Zelda games are the exact same. Have you actually played any? Mario especially has varied greatly over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense.
    Deano7788 wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm 27 and at least 6 of my 10 favourite games of all time are from Nintendo (with 4 different franchises covered).

I need to reconsider my life and gaming choices it seems.

Also, you say all Mario and Zelda games are the exact same. Have you actually played any? Mario especially has varied greatly over the years.

COD has new a new campain, voice acting and gameplay elements, Ghosts is fairly different to play that Advanced Warfare.

I think it's also a childhood nostalgia thing when it comes to people and Nintendo, it's because they grew up with it... I didn't even hear of Nintendo till I was 16 and first time playing Mario was when I was 17 on some TV AV gamepad yolk me mother had.

Mario, Yes, basically jump, hit a box, get a mushroom, grow, turn into a squirrel, jumpity jump, flag, bowser, princess end! or for 2 games change it aka Galaxy then relaunch with NEW NEW SMB :P

Still least they ain't Pokemon, now that game literally IS the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm 27 so maybe that's why Nintendo doesn't interest me as all their games are aimed at kids,
    That's a shame.
    II'd class Yoshi as a Mario kinda game only good
    It's a platformer.
    So Yoshi's Wooly World is in the same genre as Mario, New Mario, Mario 3D titles, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Super Star, Crash Bandicoot, etc.

These games are of the same genre, platformer. If you liked Yoshi's Wooly World, you'd love NSMBU(+LU), DKTF, 3DWorld, and Rayman on the Wii U.

The confusing part is that you seem to have enjoyed YWW, but you prefer realistic graphics. This is the argument you used for blanket not liking Nintendo games. It seems that if you give a game a chance, ignoring the unrealistic graphics, you may find you enjoy it, as is shown by your like of YWW.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Come on, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are the exact same games. Peach gets captured and Mario has to save her, therefore they play exactly the same way. They should try something new and get the fish to react to you swimming or jetpacks with Kevin Spacey acting. Proper revolutionary stuff, the kind of stuff Mario and Zelda games could only dream of doing.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That's a shame.

It's a platformer.
    So Yoshi's Wooly World is in the same genre as Mario, New Mario, Mario 3D titles, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Super Star, Crash Bandicoot, etc.

These games are of the same genre, platformer. If you liked Yoshi's Wooly World, you'd love NSMBU(+LU), DKTF, 3DWorld, and Rayman on the Wii U.

The confusing part is that you seem to have enjoyed YWW, but you prefer realistic graphics. This is the argument you used for blanket not liking Nintendo games. It seems that if you give a game a chance, ignoring the unrealistic graphics, you may find you enjoy it, as is shown by your like of YWW.

I like YWW because I like YOSHI! Simple and it's nothing like Crash sorry, I do have Rayman on the XB1, it's alright, I do give Nintendo a chance but still not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I had typed a big retort, and it got insulting at one stage, involving opinions and body cavities, there may have been some shoving implied also.

You have an opinion and that's great and valid, for you.
    The rest of us, with a broader appreciation for everything gaming has to offer, will continue to love Nintendo's output, in addition to the other consoles in our collection.
    You see, what you forget is that, although we are WiiU owners in the main here, as well as 3DS and other Nintendo hardware, we also own PS4's, PS3's, Xbox One's and 360's.
    We can play all of the games that you find so irresistible and the stuff on the WiiU as well.
    So, I can play Bloodborne on the PS4, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on my PS3, Deadly Premonition on my 360 and follow that up with a game of Asteroids on my Vectrex, and then top it off with a blast of Bayonetta 2 on my WiiU.

Pity the fool who discounts an entire library of games because on an ill informed opinion.
    Pity him more that the only game he plays on the format is the too damn easy Woolly World.

Hey, fup you Cidey! I only own Nintendo stuffs, don't be going assuming that I'm not a Nintendo fanboi.

abbir wrote: »
    Come on, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are the exact same games. Peach gets captured and Mario has to save her, therefore they play exactly the same way. They should try something new and get the fish to react to you swimming or jetpacks with Kevin Spacey acting. Proper revolutionary stuff, the kind of stuff Mario and Zelda games could only dream of doing.

Didn't say they were the exact same did I.

Give me a call when Nintendo finally discover voice acting and the story isn't told through a book of text with some girl-boy anime thing.

I like YWW because I like YOSHI! Simple and it's nothing like Crash sorry, I do have Rayman on the XB1, it's alright, I do give Nintendo a chance but still not interested.

It's exactly like crash, it's a platformer.

You jump from platform to platform.

Yoshi's my favourite game character, I hope they do another Mario game with Yoshi able to go from level to level like SMW. :(

It's exactly like crash, it's a platformer.

You jump from platform to platform.

Yoshi's my favourite game character, I hope they do another Mario game with Yoshi able to go from level to level like SMW. :(

Crash is a 3D platformer, plays nothing alike.

No way, keep Mario away from Yoshi, that DS game with baby Mario :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

No way, keep Mario away from Yoshi, that DS game with baby Mario :mad::mad::mad:

You mean the sequel to SMW or the other one that people don't like and I've never played?

You mean the sequel to SMW or the other one that people don't like and I've never played?

Yoshi's Island I think, it's on my DS, your Yoshi and Mario is on your back but gets knocked off and cries and cries...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

COD has new a new campain, voice acting and gameplay elements, Ghosts is fairly different to play that Advanced Warfare.

I think it's also a childhood nostalgia thing when it comes to people and Nintendo, it's because they grew up with it... I didn't even hear of Nintendo till I was 16 and first time playing Mario was when I was 17 on some TV AV gamepad yolk me mother had.

Mario, Yes, basically jump, hit a box, get a mushroom, grow, turn into a squirrel, jumpity jump, flag, bowser, princess end! or for 2 games change it aka Galaxy then relaunch with NEW NEW SMB :P

Still least they ain't Pokemon, now that game literally IS the same game.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

The reason I discount Mario and Zelda is because I have zero interest in playing the exact same game since 1988 over and over

Super Mario Bros 3 originally same came out in 1988. Zelda II came out in 1987 and clearly the series hasn't changed since.

As someone that has played through every Call of Duty single-player campaign (except 3 since that never came out on PC), I'm really struggling to think of the new gameplay elements. I enjoy playing them as something quick when I want a mindless shooter, but I'll never say the new one is some new thing when it is mostly a reskin of the previous game.

:confused:

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

The reason I discount Mario and Zelda is because I have zero interest in playing the exact same game since 1988 over and over

RG0BS1U.gif

COD player arguing Nintendo games are all the same though, this has to be an elaborate troll lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Give me a call when Nintendo finally discover voice acting and the story isn't told through a book of text with some girl-boy anime thing.

There are quite a few Nintendo games with voice acting.
    And there's a long line of strong games on all formats that involve having to take the trouble to read, though I can only imagine how tiresome literacy might be for some.

A genre is going to contain games or books or films or music that share common elements.
    Using a thing like genre allows us to easily, perhaps to our detriment, have an idea of what a thing is going to be like before we know anything else about it, and in this way I know I'm going to, as a rule, enjoying racing games, platformers, first person shooters, Shmups and puzzle titles, but I'm not a big fan of sports, online multiplayer or turn based titles at all.
    So, when you describe certain Nintendo games as "all the same" they are the same in so much as they share certain mechanics, but no more so that Ratchet and Clank, Crash or Spyro the Dragon.

Judging by your response to the comment on Battlefield you think it's crap but you seem to appreciate COD:AW, and you can also appreciate the differences between the two games franchises in a hundred different ways.
    Same thing with platformers on Nintendo consoles, and that's just the likes of the Yoshi and NSMB titles.
    The likes of 3D World, Super Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are different again.
    Shift on to Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros you are looking at entirely different and superb titles.
    Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101.

I hate listing things but nothing seems to be getting through to you.
    It's fun for the rest of us to poke fun at the odd kind of Nintendo hater you appear to be.
    You say you have a WiiU, and love Yoshi on it, yet seem to find no merit in the rest of the library of titles on the console.
    Have you any idea how incredibly unlikely that is?
    I recommend you play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, see if you can meet that challenge.

I have never played a single player campaign as easy as COD:MW2, yet it was "realistic", by the same token the challenge offered by New Super Mario Bros U is remarkable and it's an incredibly demanding title.
    Perhaps you are happier to sit there in the illusion that you are an ass-kicking marine, rather than actually having to develop skills and play a game, instead of pressing a context sensitive X when prompted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wright wrote: »
    RG0BS1U.gif

COD player arguing Nintendo games are all the same though, this has to be an elaborate troll lads.

6510aa91d3efc00bbe99fa46a7f28482.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

6510aa91d3efc00bbe99fa46a7f28482.gif

*right-click; save*

Wright wrote: »
    RG0BS1U.gif

I need to clarify, I only play COD every year for about 2 weeks, mainly the campain.

Anyways can't we console gamers all just get along, we should use our hate for something better... kill PC gamers! :)

• Advertisement

If people wanna send me Wii U games to prove how good their games are go ahead. but I'm not gonna buy any ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If people wanna send me Wii U games to prove how good their games are go ahead. but I'm not gonna buy any ha

I've a load, post your address up and I'll mail them to you.

:)

You can borrow some games from some libraries also (Only found this out on Thursday).

Allyall wrote: »
    I've a load, post your address up and I'll mail them to you.

:)

You can borrow some games from some libraries also (Only found this out on Thursday).

I'd only wake up to a snes with a nuke in it or something :/ ha don't think we have a library anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jaysus lads calm down; something I've learned as a Nintendo game for 28 years is that I simply have fun on their products. I've played other consoles with amazing graphics and whatnot but at the end of the day, the reason I'm still exclusive to them is because I'm pickey about joy and you should never discount a game because it's "kiddy"...fek that! I'll be a 12 year old to my grave when it comes to pure fun!

Nope,
    If someone comes on a Nintendo forum to tell the people there how much they dislike most Nintendo games as they are "for kids" they should expect a robust response, it's also reasonable to assume it's why they said it in the first place.
    Nintendo games are for kids in the same way that Akira is a cartoon, the format might be one typically used to entertain children but the content and expected level of ability of the player is pretty high, or it at least gets demanding as you progress and learn the game mechanics.
    A really good game recognises this and ups the ante, bringing new elements as the game continues, the best of which are Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Nope,
    If someone comes on a Nintendo forum to tell the people there how much they dislike most Nintendo games as they are "for kids" they should expect a robust response, it's also reasonable to assume it's why they said it in the first place.
    Nintendo games are for kids in the same way that Akira is a cartoon, the format might be one typically used to entertain children but the content and expected level of ability of the player is pretty high, or it at least gets demanding as you progress and learn the game mechanics.
    A really good game recognises this and ups the ante, bringing new elements as the game continues, the best of which are Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Bloodborne.

Oh I'm deffo with you on that man, but I just don't care about those folk anymore. If they're so narrow minded to miss out on the fun, it's their loss. I'm sick of evangelizing and I'm just going to enjoy myself from now on

Nope,

I only fired back shots when my games were dissed first... also there is a difference between anime and cartoons for kids... with Nintendo games their isn't, you tell me that Yoshi, Splatoon or Mario ain't for kids?

So what if I said they are kids games, why are you bothered? Unless your insecure about playing kids games, who cares, I've been playing Pokemon Heart Gold all week, haven't played one since Yellow back in school I got laughed at last week for playing it... so what. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I only fired back shots when my games were dissed first... also there is a difference between anime and cartoons for kids... with Nintendo games their isn't, you tell me that Yoshi, Splatoon or Mario ain't for kids?

So what if I said they are kids games, why are you bothered? Unless your insecure about playing kids games, who cares, I've been playing Pokemon Heart Gold all week, haven't played one since Yellow back in school I got laughed at last week for playing it... so what. :D

Do you think all these 'kids' games like Mario 3D World, Mario Galaxy etc have been highly rated and reviewed by kids in all publications, websites? I mean adults surely wouldn't be reviewing them right? They are far beyond just kids games for many different reasons, difficulty and creativity recognition for starters. People are bothered because it is pigeon holing games falsely and making them sound less than their actual true gaming worth.

I'm bothered for the same reason most of us here are bothered, you're coming on a Nintendo forum to tell us their games are for kids, which is wrong.
    As for being insecure, hardly, I'm well known to my friends and colleagues as a gamer and a collector of games, and I've a pretty large collection of some 60 consoles and thousands of games in my games room, including an arcade cabinet.
    Good for you, playing Pokémon again.
    But you are just part of the problem if you continue to push the opinion that Nintendo games are for kids, which is just plain wrong.
    Nintendo games are for everyone, the games you talk of are the ones with restricted audiences if over a certain age, and yet they are the ones most commonly played by kids.
    Unless your into Mario or Zelda I wouldn't recommend a Wii U to anyone... if its the only console you'll have then you'd be missing so much.

Also, you made it clear your feelings about Nintendo games from the start, not as a reaction to peoples opinions to your favoured games, so get that right at least.
    Bit of honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I bought Super Toy Cars.

For anyone else thinking of it. Don't.

What is the criteria to get your published game to the Nintendo eShop?

I am hoping it somehow corrupted while downloading. It's terrible and completely buggy.. :mad:

There's no sound at all, ever. Volumes all up full.
    The "tutorial" is nonsense. It's nothing. No guide, no text, no "Press that here, click that there" - Literally NOTHING.
    Drive around a basic 0 shaped track, it freezes consistently. Then respawns. :confused: Nothing else on the track, no cars, no weapons/power ups and no boost. Freeze. Respawn.

I found it difficult to (as no exit menu appeared), but eventually left the tutorial, went to play a quick race. The controls especially steering take some getting used to. The steering is incredibly sensitive, and many corners are wrong for that amount of sensitivity.

Track editor zooms up the screen frustratingly so much I had to exit.
    Couldn't, I had to press the home button to get out of the game.

This game is far from finished. It has already downloaded updates for it, but that is the version I played.

I'm surprised this is even allowed to be on sale.
    It's a pity, because the finished article may be okay. But (as mentioned) this is Terrible. :mad:

Advertisement