Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

A lot of Nintendo's games gameplay isn't childish but their presentation is childish at times and a lot of people who just view the games without playing them just make false assumptions based on that. It's not just Nintendo that do this by the way. Zach & Wiki and Toki Tori 2 look childish as well though they are anything but and they're both great games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Surely only a child would judge a book (or in this case a game) by its cover?

I loathe this current attitude that media worthy of an adult's attention must feature over blown violence and sexual content.
    Game of Thrones is seen as adult and features stupid amounts of gratuitous nudity that aren't really in the source material.
    And there's constant calls for almost every movie to be rated at least 15a, as a film can't be good unless it has nudey bits and a visceral take on violence. Sure some films like Dredd would be weaker without it but the likes of Terminator 5 would be poor no matter.
    Nintendo are struggling because of this call for 'adult' media to be portrayed in a certain way or can only be for adults if it is at least 15a or pegi 16 or whatever.
    In fantasy books it's referred to as Gimdark and most of these 'adult' books are the most childish crap going.
    A song of ice and fire is intended for mature audiences because of the motivations and actions of he characters not because it has violence and sex. Sure they are in there but it's integral part of the story at times and not just throw in to pander to the frankly immature readers.
    Terry Pratchett books are akin to books as to what Nintendo are to video games. It's presented in a fun, light hearted or 'childish' as some would say but there's a lot in there that Would go over the head of kids.
    Pixar the same. Sure it's a cartoon that kids can watch but don't tell me most adults can't enjoy and take something different from Wall-E.
    Sure Mario et al are marketed as brightly coloured balls of sheer fun and inventiveness that kids love but any adult, in my mind, that refuses to engage Nintendo products because of its cover and it lack of grimdarkness thAts seen elsewhere are most definitely not mature.
    Ffs, how can people not love blue shelling their little pissant of a brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Do people think I just look at box art and go "ugh stupid kids game, no thanks" duh no I look at gameplay, reviews, etc then make my mind up, sometimes I might try it if a friend has it, sure as hell can't just buy a Nintendo game on a chance as the huars never lower their prices.

Also like I said, most of these games go back to a nostalgia place with reviewers who grew up with Nintendo, it's why I'd never thrust a die hard fan of a game with a review "oh disney infinity is the best game evaaaar" well yeah course you'd say that, you live in the theme park and have Woody tattoo'd on your arse! :P

Anyways move on...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, when did you play Super Mario 3D World?
    And what did you find so terrible about it?
    And, if so, are you aware you were probably the only one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I only fired back shots when my games were dissed first... also there is a difference between anime and cartoons for kids... with Nintendo games their isn't, you tell me that Yoshi, Splatoon or Mario ain't for kids?

So what if I said they are kids games, why are you bothered? Unless your insecure about playing kids games, who cares, I've been playing Pokemon Heart Gold all week, haven't played one since Yellow back in school I got laughed at last week for playing it... so what. :D

Some people just can't be educated...

Colour/non-violence does not equal 'kids games'.

You're blatantly trolling at this point. Mods?

• Advertisement

Wright wrote: »
    Some people just can't be educated...

Colour/non-violence does not equal 'kids games'.

You're blatantly trolling at this point. Mods?

Did you even read the thread? Nobody said Colour/non-violence equals 'kids games'.

Who here got Yoshi's Woolly World?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Who here got Yoshi's Woolly World?

I have it but it is still in the shrink wrap. I actually just started The Wind Waker HD tonight. I've never played the game and I hear its alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

.......Who here got Yoshi's Woolly World?

I got it, started it today at 1pm, on world two now and it's f**k!ng frustratingly balls hard in parts. Have you got it SMC92Ian?

I have it but it is still in the shrink wrap. I actually just started The Wind Waker HD tonight. I've never played the game and I hear its alright.

I got WW free with my Wii U but sold the code, bought LBP and Wolfenstein.
    I got it, started it today at 1pm, on world two now and it's f**k!ng frustratingly balls hard in parts. Have you got it SMC92Ian?

I competed it a few weeks ago, does be hard when your trying to get all the sun and wool secrets, I'll be happy once I unlock every Yoshi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

All those Yoshi skins are super adorable. Rocking Candy Floss Yoshi myself at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

You're all still hardly trying to convert this guy are ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, when did you play Super Mario 3D World?
    And what did you find so terrible about it?
    And, if so, are you aware you were probably the only one?

Can we please substitute Super Maro Galaxy or 2 instead?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You're all still hardly trying to convert this guy are ye?

Convert me, to what like, I have 2 Wii's, 2 DS's and a Wii U... not like I can buy anymore Nintendo consoles :P
    sligeach wrote: »
    Can we please substitute Super Maro Galaxy or 2 instead?

Surprised these haven't been HD'd up and resold on the Wii U store.
    All those Yoshi skins are super adorable. Rocking Candy Floss Yoshi myself at the moment.

Yeah they are awesome, I wonder if they'll release more amiibo's with these colour schemes... I'd love a Cow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Convert me, to what like, I have 2 Wii's, 2 DS's and a Wii U... not like I can buy anymore Nintendo consoles

I've got the following
    NES
    Famicom (av modded)
    SNES (region switch modded)
    N64 ( NTSC with RGB mod and a vanilla PAL one too)
    GameCube
    Wii (Region free mod) x2
    WiiU
    Virtual Boy
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Light
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advanced
    GBA:SP x2
    GBA:SP (AGS 101)
    Gameboy Micro
    DS
    DS Lite x2
    DSi
    DSi:XL
    3DS
    3DS:XL
    2DS
    New 3DS
    Pokémon Mini
    Game & Watch (about five collected so far)

And plenty of games for all the above

So, you've a fair way to go yet in your Nintendo collecting I would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I competed it a few weeks ago, does be hard when your trying to get all the sun and wool secrets, I'll be happy once I unlock every Yoshi

Haha true, but I know if I don't try my hardest on my first play through, I'll never go back to YWW to complete it. Too many games to get through.

It's a top game, super easy to get through, but mega hard to get everything in first run through of each level.

Also, my Dr Mario Amiibo Yoshi skin is adorable looking, also like the moo cow skin :)

I've got the following
    NES
    Famicom (av modded)
    SNES (region switch modded)
    N64 ( NTSC with RGB mod and a vanilla PAL one too)
    GameCube
    Wii (Region free mod) x2
    WiiU
    Virtual Boy
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Light
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advanced
    GBA:SP x2
    GBA:SP (AGS 101)
    Gameboy Micro
    DS
    DS Lite x2
    DSi
    DSi:XL
    3DS
    3DS:XL
    2DS
    New 3DS
    Pokémon Mini
    Game & Watch (about five collected so far)

And plenty of games for all the above

So, you've a fair way to go yet in your Nintendo collecting I would say!

But I'm not a Nintendo collector, I can play all those other consoles on Emulators tho :P
    Haha true, but I know if I don't try my hardest on my first play through, I'll never go back to YWW to complete it. Too many games to get through.

It's a top game, super easy to get through, but mega hard to get everything in first run through of each level.

Also, my Dr Mario Amiibo Yoshi skin is adorable looking, also like the moo cow skin :)

Yeah, I'm replaying some of the levels, have his wings on this time tho, that noise he makes is adorable haha I do like some of the amiibo skins, shame tho you need the figures, a bit much €15-20 each figure just for a skin.

I can play all those other consoles on Emulators tho :P

You can probably leave quietly now and we'll say no more about it.
    Emulators...
    Deary deary me...
    Lightweight....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I really wish Ninty would come out with a Wii U slim; the gamepad at least needs some serious slimming down, and it could be sleeker.

We're never getting multi-gamepad support are we...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

So how do people feel about devils third after all the mayhem? Im not really put off by the bad reviews. I think im still going to buy it. Im not expecting a great game. But i still want to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So how do people feel about devils third after all the mayhem? Im not really put off by the bad reviews. I think im still going to buy it. Im not expecting a great game. But i still want to give it a go.

I'm still planning on buying it. I'll probably wait though, until it's a decent price. Is there a limited print run? Or whatever it's called when they don't release it everywhere.

My Wii U is out of action for a short while now too, charger just stopped working. Very annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm still planning on buying it. I'll probably wait though, until it's a decent price. Is there a limited print run? Or whatever it's called when they don't release it everywhere.

My Wii U is out of action for a short while now too, charger just stopped working. Very annoyed.

Im not really sure if its a limited run, but there doesn't seem to be many places doing preorders in ireland for it, only gamestop. Amazon are doing it too, but that sterling to euro tho.....
    That sucks about your charger man. Hopefully you wont have to wait too long to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I read somewhere that Xseed were going to publish it (but that may be only in America).
    They might give it a limited print run, which would probably see me buying it at normal price.
    But I don't know if that's true, or applies to here.

Regardless of if the frame rate and control issues are just click bait bullsh1t, it's still the kind of game I couldn't be bothered with.
    I've plenty of hyperviolent third person games across my collection, another one is just going to get thrown on the pile, better to spend the money on something worthwhile.

You can probably leave quietly now and we'll say no more about it.
    Emulators...
    Deary deary me...
    Lightweight....

I prefer Emulators, save states, cheats, improved graphics and better resolution... I'm currently playing Pokemon on my DS with a tone of cheats on, it makes the game soooooooo much better.

I prefer Emulators, save states, cheats, improved graphics and better resolution... I'm currently playing Pokemon on my DS with a tone of cheats on, it makes the game soooooooo much better.

Stop stop

You are just making it worse for yourself.

When you are stuck in a hole, stop digging!

There is no substitute for playing the game on original hardware.
    And as for playing ROMs on a PC and thinking a modern display makes it all better, and you talk about "better resolution"?
    They are supposed to be played at the resolution they are developed for.
    By running them through a emulator you just blow the pixels up and see them instead on a LCD monitor, nasty...

Stop stop

You are just making it worse for yourself.

When you are stuck in a hole, stop digging!

There is no substitute for playing the game on original hardware.
    And as for playing ROMs on a PC and thinking a modern display makes it all better, and you talk about "better resolution"?
    They are supposed to be played at the resolution they are developed for.
    By running them through a emulator you just blow the pixels up and see them instead on a LCD monitor, nasty...

No, they have filters and everything to make the games look way better and I can play them with my PS4 controller, much better, also my DS games are played on a DS, no difference bar the cheats and add ons...

I'm playing the games so I'll play them how I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Emulators :o never have I heard such nonsense. You either play it on the original format or VC, or not at all. As for cheats, they can sod off as well.

Glad I never owned an R4 card now :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Emulators :o never have I heard such nonsense. You either play it on the original format or VC, or not at all. As for cheats, they can sod off as well.

Glad I never owned an R4 card now :pac:

I did own one :(
    But I then went and bought every game I liked on it, so I don't feel too bad.
    Perhaps it's the whole paying for games on the Nintendo he has a problem with, given he's been playing them for free for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Perhaps it's the whole paying for games on the Nintendo he has a problem with, given he's been playing them for free for so long.

Aye thats true. If you ain't gonna pay for the games, then don't whinge about it. Free games are free, and given that Nintendo games are 99 times out of a hundred such high quality, and tailored to both 'kiddie' and 'adult' audiences, I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

• Advertisement

I only got an R4 card last week.

I've bought plenty of Wii, DS, Gamecube and Gameboy games over the years.

Advertisement