Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Corholio wrote: »
    Not bothered at all about Mario Tennis, but looking forward to Starfox.

They both look awful, cheap and lazy. Xenoblade Chronicles X, now that's a game I'm very much looking forward to. But after that, what's left? I see nothing except Zelda and there's no guarantee that it'll remain on the Wii U. At the very least it'll be a dual launch on NX similar to Twilight Princess on the Wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    They both look awful, cheap and lazy. Xenoblade Chronicles X, now that's a game I'm very much looking forward to. But after that, what's left? I see nothing except Zelda and there's no guarantee that it'll remain on the Wii U. At the very least it'll be a dual launch on NX similar to Twilight Princess on the Wii.

I remember similar things said about Mario 3D Land (even I thought it actually) and that turned out wonderful. I think more than ever now, playing the actual games is by far the best way to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

While that's true, it's worth bearing in mind that the Mario series, both 2D and 3D have mostly been innovative, fun and worthwhile. The same cannot be said about most entries into either of these 2 franchises. Has there been a decent entry into either series since the N64? The 3DS port of Starfox hardly counts, and for that matter the 3DS Mario Tennis might as well have been a port. I mean, how much can you add to a tennis game before it stops being about tennis? A controller with a wiimote plus in the handle and a wiiU gamepade for the head, for ultra realistic motion controls? *shudder* I think pessimism is healthy at this point.

I remember similar things said about Mario 3D Land (even I thought it actually) and that turned out wonderful. I think more than ever now, playing the actual games is by far the best way to judge.

I think you mean Super Mario 3D World.

I haven't played it but I don't like the looks of SM3DW. I thought the same, actually even worse about Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I'm currently playing it and it's just how I imagined it. It would be alright as a €10 download but the game is boring, limited gameplay, no challenge and I'm halfway through the 3rd book. The levels are too short, recycling just 2 bosses over and over. Uninspiring music, a lot of which is just reworked Super Mario music. It looks nice but I should hope so, they're small self contained levels. No way is it worth €40.

Banjo wrote: »
    While that's true, it's worth bearing in mind that the Mario series, both 2D and 3D have mostly been innovative, fun and worthwhile. The same cannot be said about most entries into either of these 2 franchises. Has there been a decent entry into either series since the N64? The 3DS port of Starfox hardly counts, and for that matter the 3DS Mario Tennis might as well have been a port. I mean, how much can you add to a tennis game before it stops being about tennis? A controller with a wiimote plus in the handle and a wiiU gamepade for the head, for ultra realistic motion controls? *shudder* I think pessimism is healthy at this point.

Well I have no genuine interest in the tennis game as I said earlier, some of the Mario sports games are quite good but don't know what further another title can add to it. Starfox has been mostly dormant in this type of game though, not including handhelds. I think it's a genre, flying shooters, that needs to be played to get a full handle on how good/bad it is, perhaps more than other similar genres because of the lack of foundation like a road in controls etc. It could be good, it could be bad, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

• Advertisement

I think you mean Super Mario 3D World.

I haven't played it but I don't like the looks of SM3DW. I thought the same, actually even worse about Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I'm currently playing it and it's just how I imagined it. It would be alright as a €10 download but the game is boring, limited gameplay, no challenge and I'm halfway through the 3rd book. The levels are too short, recycling just 2 bosses over and over. Uninspiring music, a lot of which is just reworked Super Mario music. It looks nice but I should hope so, they're small self contained levels. No way is it worth €40.

Yes, my mistake, World.

3D World surprised me because it turns out to be a brilliant game. Some people will have pre-judgements on games and never like them which is fair enough. But the real bones of really liking or disliking a game is playing it, games have surprised me enough times over the years to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I've put almost 50 hours into Mario Golf on the 3DS. Can't wait for the tennis!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I buy the sports games and never ever play them :(
    But Starfox I can't wait for, looks like a lot of fun, but I fear it'll be way too easy.
    Mario Maker though, that'll be the one to own this side of Christmas and, hence, perhaps the last must have title of the console, unless Pokken turns out to be all kinds of awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

new free update for shovel knight coming to wii u and 3ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Am I mad for thinking this looks good?! :

It'll be a few weeks before I can play anything so there'll be plenty of time for reviews (but by then Mario Maker and MGSV will be out....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Minecraft: Story Mode will be coming to Wii U.

blag wrote: »
    Am I mad for thinking this looks good?! :

It'll be a few weeks before I can play anything so there'll be plenty of time for reviews (but by then Mario Maker and MGSV will be out....)

I want it to be good but the previews sound awful. And today I hear EDGE reviewed it and gave it a 3/10. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Good to see the first few reviews of Runbow are hugely positive.

I want it to be good but the previews sound awful. And today I hear EDGE reviewed it and gave it a 3/10. :eek:

More reviews are incoming but it's not getting any better.

Gamesradar: 1.5/5

Gamespot: 3/10

Kotaku: NO

God is a Geek: 3/10

Gamereactor: 5/10

Digital Spy: 1/5

LazyGamer: 4/10

Edge: 3/10

It's a shame. Bar Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X and if Zelda ever arrives, the Wii U is as good as dead. Possibly Fatal Frame as well. Time to play through my backlog. Super Mario Maker will be the only hope of getting good sales. Xenoblade Chronicles X deserves recognition but it's a niche title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

More reviews are incoming but it's not getting any better.

Gamesradar: 1.5/5

Gamespot: 3/10

Kotaku: NO

God is a Geek: 3/10

Gamereactor: 5/10

Digital Spy: 1/5

LazyGamer: 4/10

Edge: 3/10

It's a shame. Bar Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X and if Zelda ever arrives, the Wii U is as good as dead. Possibly Fatal Frame as well. Time to play through my backlog. Super Mario Maker will be the only hope of getting good sales. Xenoblade Chronicles X deserves recognition but it's a niche title.

Think I'll just stick to Metal Gear and Mario next month.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see Kerbal Space Program is on the way to the Wii U. I've heard great things about it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-27-kerbal-space-program-set-to-land-on-wii-u

Nintendo have pulled the trailer though (it was up earlier).

€39.99 on PC, so it'll be interesting to see what they charge for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Mr E wrote: »
    I see Kerbal Space Program is on the way to the Wii U. I've heard great things about it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-27-kerbal-space-program-set-to-land-on-wii-u

My exclusively-pc gaming brother played it for months and said it was all kinds of awesome...will be watching that with interest...

Nintendo eShop - Kerbal Space Program Nindies@Night PAX Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNN1Zk_ss4g

The video is live now. They wanted to keep the reveal for PAX. The more games on Wii U, the better. I was watching videos of it last night and it's certainly interesting. One to definitely keep an eye on. I think Nintendo said this will be the definitive version. I hope the gamepad is used fully and properly. It has the potential to be great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

http://www.consolefood.co.uk

Saw this on reddit. Splatoon for £18 seems ok. Parcel Motel might be needed.

Wright wrote: »
    http://www.consolefood.co.uk

Saw this on reddit. Splatoon for £18 seems ok. Parcel Motel might be needed.

Never heard of them. Maybe others have. I posted a link in the bargains thread for the same price. That link says £18.99. And Base are a reputable company who deliver to Ireland for ~ €1.90. No need for Parcel Motel. Works out at just under €30 delivered when converted.

Edit: Oh I see it links to deals on external sites. My apologies. I might bookmark that site. Must have a closer look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I see Kerbal Space Program is on the way to the Wii U. .

I would buy it just to play it on the TV. Would spend hours on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CptMackey wrote: »
    I would buy it just to play it on the TV. Would spend hours on it.

Wouldn't big screen mode on Steam not let you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wouldn't big screen mode on Steam not let you do that?

There's loads of ways to get your steam PC games on your main TV now.

I want it just to have a physical copy.
    I love all games, including digital downloads, but there is something these old cassette loading bones loves about having a game in the hand, on a shelf and a tangible thing that can be browsed for, through the rest of my collection.

People in the US got a pretty nice looking special edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X

xenoblade-chronicles-x6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Europe is getting one as well.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Europe is getting one as well.

Indeed, although I think the US one is a bit better, aesthetically and content wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Indeed, although I think the US one is a bit better, aesthetically and content wise.

Oh, I wasnt aware they were different, what's the rub?

Advertisement