Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

/\/ollog wrote: »
    A huge stretch by anyone's standards.

Hey its the Wii U....we have to stretch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was reading on neogaf of 2 separate people who're seemly reliable resources saying it will be worthwhile being a Wii U owner and they'll pull a 3DS style turnaround. One of them is a cvg writer who is supposedly very vocal about not being happy with Wii U and said his comments will be seen as stupid, if his sources are right.
    Can't get the link right now (at work) but this should lead you to the cvg article (it's from mynintendonews)
    http://goo.gl/BBPwV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i know the wii u is going to be amazing.

everyone who said wii u launch was terrible and going to go through similar launches with ps4 and 720

It's what I've said before. This was the first home console launch since the internet has been widely accessible leading to all the constant scrutiny and criticism every step of the way.
    Also I notice there seems to be less talk about the PS4, apart from the immediate post reveal talk, then there was for Wii U. No idea why though.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's what I've said before. This was the first home console launch since the internet has been widely accessible leading to all the constant scrutiny and criticism every step of the way.
    Also I notice there seems to be less talk about the PS4, apart from the immediate post reveal talk, then there was for Wii U. No idea why though.

i agree with you 100%

people have been writing off nintendo since the n64 but they are still around.
    look at the 3ds , people said they should just make smartphone games sincel mobile phone gaming has shown dominance. mere 2 years later you hear no one make such a claim and now the 3ds is selling a million more than the ds did at this time.

i remember i bought the ps3 in 2007 and it had no real killer app till mgs4 came out and it was not till 2010 the games started really coming for the system.

its been 5 months , not 5 years years the nintendo system is out and we know the games are coming. there was already a 125 % spike in sales due to monster hunter ultimate which is really just a wii port so imagine what mario kart and 3d mario in glorious hd and zelda hd is going to do. I already know people who moved on from gamecube to 360 that want a wii u for hd wind waker alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I would love if this was true. I still boot up my F-Zero GX on the Wii every now and then 'cause it's still one of the best racers...still!

I'm hearing a lot of rumors the last few days about everything from WiiU/3DS cross platform video chat, playing games bought on 3DS on your WiiU and vice-verse, one standardized account across both platforms, Mario Kart and 3d Mario WiiU reveal with release dates soon, Metroid WiiU etc etc...

If any of these are true then I'll be a very happy chappie but in the meantime, I'll just have to be happy that the big system update that reduces load times is due today....oh and the WiiU Virtual Console is out tomorrow as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Because it's out and the PS4 isn't. I don't think the level of scrutiny is the issue

I don't know if it'll be an E3 announcement but I do see a big system update for Wii U and 3DS coming that will address most of those issues. Mainly the account system for both and the Miiverse on 3DS.

And maybe not a price drop, but I can also see Nintendo doing something to really push the Wii U. Maybe something like the Ambassador program, but without the price cut and with warning so people can purchase before a deadline.

But that's probably just wishful thinking

Kinski wrote: »
    Because it's out and the PS4 isn't. I don't think the level of scrutiny is the issue

I meant in relation to the amount of talk there was about Wii U before its launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Isn't the PS4 just a new controller for the PS3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I meant in relation to the amount of talk there was about Wii U before its launch.

More to chew over, I suppose. PS4 seems to basically be a conventional console, like most other new consoles launched ever (a good thing, imo) and we still don't know that much about what games to expect. Wii U had "controversial" features to talk about. Xbox720 is a hot topic too, with its alleged features being very controversial.

i don't believe everything sony showed will be on ps4 and if it is it will be cut.

Throughout sony history they lied. fooled me into not getting a dreamcast it did.

even the ps4 footage that was shown was running on pc.

I'd just be curious to see if PS4 needs a day 1 update similar to the Wii U. More just because I always laugh at seeing comments from people who laughed and criticised Nintendo doing it saying "Oh well, it makes sense!" :)

But will get more details for both PS4 and Wii U in about 50 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Isn't the PS4 just a new controller for the PS3?

Just a new controller for the PS3 with a screen and motion sensing built in...
    :pac:

Just a new controller for the PS3 with a screen and motion sensing built in...
    :pac:

So....a WIIPS4 then?

Seriously though, think it's a poor move by Sony with regard to not supporting the PS3 controllers on the PS4, and I love that the Wii-motes, balance boards, etc... work on the Wii U. It's because of this one fact that I'll probably still get Wii Fit U

(seriously, what were they thinking? Such a dirty sounding name...)

Wii Fit U

(seriously, what were they thinking? Such a dirty sounding name...)

Suits you sir! :D
    the-fast-show_001745_1_MainPicture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

hey not sure if this is the right place to ask but has anyone been able to connect their wii u to the internet by connecting it to laptop via the internet adapter and then sharing the laptops internet connection?? I want to get a wii u but id only be getting half a product if i cant update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Woah wrote: »
    hey not sure if this is the right place to ask but has anyone been able to connect their wii u to the internet by connecting it to laptop via the internet adapter and then sharing the laptops internet connection?? I want to get a wii u but id only be getting half a product if i cant update it.

windows 7 has a feature to make a hotspot with 90ish% of cards.
    http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot
    Most likely still a feature in windows 8 too.
    It'd work that way for sure, adhoc, I don't think so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wii+adapter+lan&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awii+adapter+lan
    If push comes to shove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nintendo has revealed the eight titles that will launch alongside Wii U's Virtual Console later this week. In a post on the Wii U Facebook page, Nintendo revealed the following eight NES and SNES games:

Balloon Fight (NES)
    Donkey Kong, Jr. (NES)
    Excitebike (NES)
    F-Zero (SNES)
    Ice Climber (NES)
    Kirby’s Adventure (NES)
    Punch-Out!! (NES)
    Super Mario World (SNES)

During a Nintendo Direct conference last week, Nintendo also revealed that titles including Super Metroid will also be headed to the Wii U Virtual Console in addition to Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance games at a later date. Much to the excitement of longtime fans, Nintendo also confirmed that EarthBound will come to Virtual Console this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's thought the update will happen on Thursday and the Virtual Console will be a day later on Friday.

Nintendo needs to be careful with VC, and not drip feed games too much. I admire how they want to protect and save their games, but SNES and N64 games are the ones that would be most wanted I would say, so I hope they don't wait ages to make N64 games available.

new indie game on the wii u train.

this time is a survival horror game forgotten memories

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/24/indie-title-forgotten-memories-officially-coming-to-wii-u/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

You can now log into Miiverse on the go.
    Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica

Check #Miiverse on the go! Log in to the beta version with your Nintendo Network account: https://miiverse.nintendo.net

bazzz wrote: »
    You can now log into Miiverse on the go.

You can't post from a mobile which is just the way I'd like it to stay.

Cool being able to check posts though.

smokingman wrote: »
    You can't post from a mobile which is just the way I'd like it to stay.

Cool being able to check posts though.

I've just posted on it from my phone.

I've just posted on it from my phone.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not seeing that button - you on Android by any chance?

It seems nintendo are not having at conference at E3 this year

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201138

smokingman wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe I'm not seeing that button - you on Android by any chance?
    I am indeed, using Chrome on my android phone.

• Advertisement

One side effect of all this is that I can save the screenshots I took for my MiiVerse posts and repost them on my facebook feed :)

Advertisement