Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

bada_bing wrote: »
    been looking everywhere for a copy of Zelda Wind Waker HD and i just can't find it in any store. I know it's available on the eshop but i'm not paying €60 for a digital download, what a rip off and i would't be able to trade it or gift it to anyone. I'd like to buy it second hand off anyone but i'm in Cork.

Not go with amazon?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Zelda-Wind-Waker-Nintendo/dp/B00B8QDNNG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's in Gamestop in Cork on Patrick Street (used) for €54.99

On Adverts in Wexford asking €45 or €48 with Parcel Motel

Pumped BMX+ looks good. It'll suit me, on couch, with Gamepad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Allyall wrote: »
    What is this?
    Star Sky :confused:
    I'm using a one speaker laptop here at the minute so maybe I'm missing something?

Curiosity got the better of me..

When this loads, the first message that appears says "This is not a game in the traditional sense" - They should've put a full stop after the 5th word.

God. I thought there might be more to this..
    Worse.
    I thought "It's only €4. If it's sh|te I won't mind."

It is utter cr*p.
    Couldn't play it with TV in background, as it requires audio (I'd say that's BS - Unlikely you need to pay attention to the "music".).
    Wouldn't "play" it on the TV.
    They didn't even bother to pretend to map the joystick with it. It's the crosspad to move up and down on the menu.

In game
    Press B to walk forward, and A to run. :mad:
    You can't turn or make any action. That's it. You just walk.
    With a really irritating synthetic cricket chirping in the background repeatedly.
    Running is barely slightly faster than walking.
    I got a Rose. Gave it to a girl. She followed me.

It says this is a relaxing game. I'm genuinely more annoyed than I was before I started to play it.

The Original Star sky was better.

I'm going to blu-tak the B button down tonight, and see how far I got in the game, tomorrow morning.

I'm really hoping there's more to this, and I'm just not in the right mood to play it tonight. But I cannot see me getting into holding the B button down, and releasing every now and then, to see if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Starfox Zero!!

So what's the story with this. Gameseek have it up for £29 which works out to about €43 with postage. I wanna pre-order but what are the chances of a special edition of the game coming at launch/being announced in the next few weeks?

Ninty did say they would love to make a movable Rwing Amiibo but couldn't get it to work for some reason, now that was in June at e3.

Do you think they have it made and are gonna do a SMM type edtion? Game, Amiibo and artbook?

I think they might just do it. The game will not sell bucket loads as we all know but it would be awesome to have something like that.

What ya think lads? Is it gonna be just the game or a couple of 'editions' at launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Starfox Zero!!

So what's the story with this. Gameseek have it up for £29 which works out to about €43 with postage. I wanna pre-order but what are the chances of a special edition of the game coming at launch/being announced in the next few weeks?

Ninty did say they would love to make a movable Rwing Amiibo but couldn't get it to work for some reason, now that was in June at e3.

Do you think they have it made and are gonna do a SMM type edtion? Game, Amiibo and artbook?

I think they might just do it. The game will not sell bucket loads as we all know but it would be awesome to have something like that.

What ya think lads? Is it gonna be just the game or a couple of 'editions' at launch?

I thought they were going to have some special edition with an amiibo or something since it is their "big" release for Christmas. There are no signs of an amiibo for the game. I still think they will have some sort of special edition, probably exclusive to the UK Nintendo store or Game or some crap.

• Advertisement

abbir wrote: »
    I thought they were going to have some special edition with an amiibo or something since it is their "big" release for Christmas. There are no signs of an amiibo for the game. I still think they will have some sort of special edition, probably exclusive to the UK Nintendo store or Game or some crap.

God I hope not. What about the rest of Europe Nintendo? UK is one of their worst markets atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,662 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Starfox Zero!!

I wouldn't touch that game with a barge pole. I better not say what I really think of it, to put it mildly & politely, it's bad unless it's undergone a radical transformation. I think not. I'm sure there'll be a Collectors Edition. Nintendo know they can't really increase their market share so they're trying to bleed us existing customers for every cent that they can.

Haha I know, it looks like sh1te! But I wanna give it a shot and add it to my collection.

I'm sure it's been tweaked a good bit since e3, not by much mind, but ya never know.

Edit: hmm, Star Fox Zero or Uncharted Collection. Pretty miffed that they aren't including a reworked version of the vita game tbh, only reason I'm not too excited for Uncharted Collection. But that will prob be down to €20 pretty quick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Starfox on the N64, later ported to the 3DS, was never a looker, but it played very well and that's why it sells.
    Ultimately it's an onrails shooter, with the occasional, limited, "free range mode" but at the end of the day you are moving on a relatively fixed path moving the cross hairs over the enemy and pulling the trigger.
    I'll wait for the reviews before i buy but it looks like it might be a blast, for me at least, and I'll definitely be buying a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

sligeach wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch that game with a barge pole. I better not say what I really think of it, to put it mildly & politely, it's bad unless it's undergone a radical transformation. I think not. I'm sure there'll be a Collectors Edition. Nintendo know they can't really increase their market share so they're trying to bleed us existing customers for every cent that they can.
    Oh wow, so you played it already? Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

New Starfox will be EPIC once they allow normal controls to be used.

Please Nintendo no motion/gyro control bull****.

Or at the very least give both options.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'm still really looking forward to Starfox, I have some reservations and am hoping they allow for 'normal' controls but still optimistic either way.

smokingman wrote: »
    Oh wow, so you played it already? Where?

The previews are terrible, many sites have been scathing in their assessment. I certainly won't be buying it in its current state. It looks rushed, ugly, lazy and uninspiring. There's no online multiplayer. That's the point of previews and reviews. To give you information on a game and then make up your own mind. I wouldn't be surprised if you like Star Fox though. You did afterall buy Devil's Turd. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd rather play a game first before I'd make any final assumptions. I'd be very surprised if anyone who has been following video games a long time would use previews as a final judgement on anything. I know I've been constantly surprised over the years with games and what I pre-thought and if anyone says they haven't themselves, they are lying imo. I don't think Starfox looks bad at all, nothing jumps out as amazing from the limited footage they have released but it doesn't want to make me not play it certainly.

For someone who 'predicts' so many things you don't seem to leave much room to be surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The previews are terrible, many sites have been scathing in their assessment. I certainly won't be buying it in its current state. It looks rushed, ugly, lazy and uninspiring. There's no online multiplayer. That's the point of previews and reviews. To give you information on a game and then make up your own mind. I wouldn't be surprised if you like Star Fox though. You did afterall buy Devil's Turd. :pac:

Wtf are you on?!

The game is not out.

You haven't played it.

Rushed, ugly, lazy, uninspiring?!

How can you possibly come to that conclusion based on the incredibly limited amount of preview footage available?

By all means make that comment when you've actually had a bit of time with it but seriously you're jumping to some outlandish conclusions from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I did indeed buy Devils Third and you know what? I'm enjoying it.
    Sure it has some issues but the reviews and previews were wrong. They were wrong because an average review doesn't get readers or clicks. Much better to jump on a bandwagon and come up with new ways of trying to feel smug about something eh?
    Games journalism is rubbish these days and I'd trust only my own opinion when buying anything and it's got me far in life.

If you enjoyed any previous Starfox then why wouldn't you want to actually play this one to at least form your own opinion instead of acting like it got off with your mum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Devils third actually isnt that bad of a game when you get to play it, i feel it suffered from the bad press it got at the beguining and that everyone then jumped on the bandwagon and hailed it as a travesty of a game because it was what everyone else was doing.Its by no means perfect, i.e bats injurying you and unforgiving 1 hit K.O bosses, controlles take a bit getting used to, but once you get em you're flying, but it actually not too bad. im glad i picked up the game, despite all the 'reviewers' using the tried and tested method of reviewing a game from youtube trailers, putting a game down before theyve even played it.

Corholio wrote: »
    I'd rather play a game first before I'd make any final assumptions. I'd be very surprised if anyone who has been following video games a long time would use previews as a final judgement on anything. I know I've been constantly surprised over the years with games and what I pre-thought and if anyone says they haven't themselves, they are lying imo. I don't think Starfox looks bad at all, nothing jumps out as amazing from the limited footage they have released but it doesn't want to make me not play it certainly.

For someone who 'predicts' so many things you don't seem to leave much room to be surprised at all.

I will be surprised if it's very good. I just don't think a game can spend that short in development and expect it to be a AAA title. Platinum Games are great but they can't be expected to work miracles. There's just so much wrong with it. From the rehashed levels and the controls by all accounts being needlessly convoluted. With even Miyamoto himself saying it takes a couple of days to get used to. I see the game averaging a 7(another prediction, I wasn't aware I make so many :confused:). I'd love for it to be brilliant but I don't see it happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/shigeru_miyamoto_defends_star_fox_zeros_controls

smokingman wrote: »
    I did indeed buy Devils Third and you know what? I'm enjoying it.
    Sure it has some issues but the reviews and previews were wrong. They were wrong because an average review doesn't get readers or clicks. Much better to jump on a bandwagon and come up with new ways of trying to feel smug about something eh?
    Games journalism is rubbish these days and I'd trust only my own opinion when buying anything and it's got me far in life.

If you enjoyed any previous Starfox then why wouldn't you want to actually play this one to at least form your own opinion instead of acting like it got off with your mum?

Are all the reviewers wrong? It has an average of 42% from 32 reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/devils-third

2 positive, 13 mixed and 19 negative reviews. They didn't all just jump on the bandwagon. If you're enjoying it, good for you and in the end that's all that really matters.

You've got a lot of the major sites and publications hammering it. IGN, EDGE, NintendoWorldReport, Gamespot, Eurogamer, amongst many others, none of which gave it above 40%. The only 2 positive reviews are from sites I've never heard of.

And I have formed my own opinion of Star Fox Zero from what I've seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Devils Third appears to be a game that you need to both play and be then taken with it to see beyond its flaws.
    In that regard its probably safe to say it's not a great game but it's not a disaster either.
    One should be careful not to take simple scores at face value. More important to read the reviews content.
    As for Starfox, it's easy to look at the visuals and trailers and assume the worst, but Starfox games tend to be far better than a simple description of their parts, a real example of gaming synergy, it all coalesces into something wonderful, or at least had done so far.
    My worry is that it'll turn out to be more Rebel Strike and less Rogue Leader.
    Keep in mind it is a precious IP for Nintendo and they are very unlikely to release something dreadful featuring an icon like Fox McCloud.
    Wait for the released game before forming an opinion, no point in judging it on a trailer of an unfinished game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I was so decisively indecisive about buying a wii u for the kids for C*******s that my wife just ordered one from the Smyths deal. Dare say there will be cheaper but glad we have one on the way now. Got the cheapo wii u version, Mario Kart 8, Skylanders swapforce and wii party u for 235 euro. As I say I am sure there will be better deals but the boss just wanted to get it ordered! Thanks again for all the advice on the Nintendo Bargain alert thread.

Have a sensor bar, few wiimotes and nunchucks and couple of classic controllers for the wii (do the old classic controllers work on the wii u?). I was looking on ebay for a charging dock thing, not sure if its needed but its not too expensive. Any glaring omissions from my list, do I need to buy wii u classic pro controllers or anything else? Have a 160gb hard drive from a ps3 thats cased with y cable which hopefully will work with the wii u.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

Rushed, ugly, lazy, uninspiring?!

It's yet another re-imagining of star fox 64/nes.

I loved the game, I'd prefer something with new settings, story, whatever.
    Hoping they really change it up in this re-imagining.
    It's a platinum game so it's going to be niche anyway.
    I Have a 160gb hard drive from a ps3 thats cased with y cable which hopefully will work with the wii u.

Bear in mind the Wii U will want to format that drive and take it all over for itself.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Bear in mind the Wii U will want to format that drive and take it all over for itself.

Didn't realise that, thanks, it's not really doing anything at the moment anyway though so it'll be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I was so decisively indecisive about buying a wii u for the kids for C*******s that my wife just ordered one from the Smyths deal. Dare say there will be cheaper but glad we have one on the way now. Got the cheapo wii u version, Mario Kart 8, Skylanders swapforce and wii party u for 235 euro. As I say I am sure there will be better deals but the boss just wanted to get it ordered! Thanks again for all the advice on the Nintendo Bargain alert thread.

Have a sensor bar, few wiimotes and nunchucks and couple of classic controllers for the wii (do the old classic controllers work on the wii u?). I was looking on ebay for a charging dock thing, not sure if its needed but its not too expensive. Any glaring omissions from my list, do I need to buy wii u classic pro controllers or anything else? Have a 160gb hard drive from a ps3 thats cased with y cable which hopefully will work with the wii u.

Sounds like you mostly hvae it covered. I'd maybe get a pro controller if you can source one as I mainly use that but the kids might be fine with wiimotes. If you want some game recommendations it's mainly just the obvious ones. Splatoon is excellent is you have decent internet though. Also mario maker has been surprising in it's addictiveness.

I bought Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze today. Neither had Club Nintendo points, so sorry OwaynOTT you're out of luck. They're the last 2 games out of over 30 retail games that I needed for my collection. Never liked the cut of SM3DW from the start, had the same thoughts on Captain Toad and having bought that a while back, my feelings were confirmed. DKC:TF, I should have bought a lot sooner but when I missed it at €35 new delivered a few times I just forgot about it for a while and didn't want to pay €40 for secondhand copies. Finally decided to just be done with the constant looking and kill 2 birds with the 1 stone.

Not much left to look forward to. Project Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda whenever or wherever that turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Star Fox Zero delayed to Q1 next year. Reading between the lines, they're fixing the controls.
    I made a big decision last week.

We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.

To the people looking forward to the launch of the game this holiday season, I am very sorry.

Star Fox Zero is going to bring new game play and experiences that take it far beyond the framework established by Star Fox 64. All the members of the development team are doing our best so that the final product will not betray your expectations. And the game will not be delayed for a very long time – we’re aiming to launch the game in Q1 2016. Please stay tuned for further announcements.

http://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/614375-star-fox-zero-delayed-until-2016

I know there is a Splatoon meet up thread but just a general query about the game if you don't mind. I know shocking broadband (3mbs download) is going to make for a ropey experience for the kids if I got them it, I don't think they'd mind too much (if it worked at all with those speeds) but my question is would it ruin it for other players also online with them? With glitching and whatever else our player would be doing online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I know there is a Splatoon meet up thread but just a general query about the game if you don't mind. I know shocking broadband (3mbs download) is going to make for a ropey experience for the kids if I got them it, I don't think they'd mind too much (if it worked at all with those speeds) but my question is would it ruin it for other players also online with them? With glitching and whatever else our player would be doing online?

One of the responses in this thread says they have 3mbs too and it runs fine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/379hu3/minimum_network_speeds_needed_to_play_splatoon/

My internet speed is pretty good but I get disconnected sometimes. The guys in the meet up thread would have more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Starfox delay is crazy. Fair play to them for making a tough decision that will likely benefit in the end.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGScZ2QeNj_9UjLzx4LGkmwk6NQAcLD-9mm2zrUZ6fvD0AzQdW

• Advertisement

I knew Star Fox Zero had to be delayed. It looked like pants. I hope the extra time will help improve it. I don't think it will though. The game was rushed from the start. It won't change the fundamentals of the game. There won't be extra levels. It's probably going to be including things like extra modes or online, which should have been there from the start. If they'd taken there time they could have been polishing a diamond, instead they're polishing coal.

Advertisement