Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Yeah, it couldn't have been an easy call to bump Star Fox considering it's the big Christmas release. I suppose they could just double down on Mario Maker for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

sligeach wrote: »
    I knew Star Fox Zero had to be delayed. It looked like pants. I hope the extra time will help improve it. I don't think it will though. The game was rushed from the start. It won't change the fundamentals of the game. There won't be extra levels. It's probably going to be including things like extra modes or online, which should have been there from the start. If they'd taken there time they could have been polishing a diamond, instead they're polishing coal.

Jesus you're a little ball of sunshine this morning, aren't you? :pac::p

Am I the only one who thought the E3 demo looked great?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I thought it looked good too! Those that were saying it was PS2 quality graphics really need to go back and look at PS2 games, or watch the Star Fox trailer in HD.

As you said, it looks like they're using it to make the controls better. If they can make the controls feel natural, this could work nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I knew Star Fox Zero had to be delayed. It looked like pants. I hope the extra time will help improve it. I don't think it will though. The game was rushed from the start. It won't change the fundamentals of the game. There won't be extra levels. It's probably going to be including things like extra modes or online, which should have been there from the start.

You might want to lighten up on the doom and gloom there mate.
    And for a man that seems to find fault with nearly everything Nintendo do, you own an awful lot of their stuff!
    If they'd taken there time they could have been polishing a diamond, instead they're polishing coal.

Sure, they're the same thing, only thing added is pressure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    I thought it looked good too! Those that were saying it was PS2 quality graphics really need to go back and look at PS2 games, or watch the Star Fox trailer in HD.

As you said, it looks like they're using it to make the controls better. If they can make the controls feel natural, this could work nicely.

I just would like the option to use regular controls, even Pro controller support, so it can be played like a trad Starfox game, use the screen on the touchpad as a bomb bay door cam, dropping ordinance with the Pro controller, still using the touchpad in a cool way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Star Fox delay is disappointing and it leaves a big gap until the end of the year, the Wii U releases were winding down anyway so might as well get the best games we can out of those that are left to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Corholio wrote: »
    Star Fox delay is disappointing and it leaves a big gap until the end of the year, the Wii U releases were winding down anyway so might as well get the best games we can out of those that are left to come out.
    do they actually have anything coming for the rest of the year? Indies excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

iamtony wrote: »
    do they actually have anything coming for the rest of the year? Indies excluded.

Mario Tennis and Xenoblade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Disappointed with the Star Fox delay, but I sunk nearly 200 hours into Xenoblade, so I would say I will be sorted with Xenoblade 2.

Also does anyone know where to pre order the Fatal Frame limited edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Banjo wrote: »

Nice one, just ordered it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,662 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You might want to lighten up on the doom and gloom there mate.
    And for a man that seems to find fault with nearly everything Nintendo do, you own an awful lot of their stuff!

Sure, they're the same thing, only thing added is pressure!

I don't find fault with nearly everything they do but if they deserve criticism I'm not shy on dishing it out. The last 3 games I bought, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and Super Mario Maker have been great.

Star Fox Zero just looks wrong, I usually get a vibe of whether something will be great but this is screaming mediocre at the moment. Maybe it'll go a SM3DW transformation.

I've Project Zero: Maiden of the Black Water paid for and Xenoblade Chronicles X is a definite purchase. But that's it. We don't know what's coming for the foreseeable future.

But lazy stuff like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival won't get a free pass from me. And if Nintendo were doing a good job the Wii U wouldn't have been such a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'd hazard a guess that they tried to rush Star Fox to fill the void Zelda left at Christmas. At least they had the decency to not force it out unfinished just to get it out for the holidays.

I don't think I've ever been taken with any Nintendo sports title since Mario Tennis on my Virtual Boy.
    And, as for Animal Crossing, it seems like they've just cut and run, ditching the game it should have been and releasing a Mario Party effort using the assets.
    And, I won't be buying that either.
    I suppose people just really need to stop taking it all so personally, good and bad.
    Nintendo want to make money, and sell loads of consoles and games to the likes of us, but they also have a ethos of producing games consoles rather than multimedia centres and have, in the main, maintained quality in all of their big IP, even the ones I didn't appreciate, like Metroid Other M, is lauded by others and I have to say it's probably as much my disappointment at the game not being Metroid Prime 4 as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm getting a little annoyed with the amount of tripe that's being allowed into the eshop, presumably to compensate for a growing lack of new releases on the console.

:mad:
    I've already bought a few clangers and bangers. I was under the incorrect impression that Nintendo were somehow allowing games that they deemed "worthy" (half joking) of being on their system.
    I understand it is difficult to decide what one person may like, and another wouldn't. But surely they can see if a game is finished or absolute tripe?

What I don't understand is, why hasn't somebody made an absolute ball of junk to gain entry through a backdoor or something. To allow modding.

Nintendo seem to have given up on it.
    I don't think I can be convinced that Nintendo are monitoring the games that are being released on the eshop.
    http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/explody_bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It beggars belief how Nintendo have messed up the WiiU. Just talking to my nieces and nephew at the weekend, they are all hoping to get one from Santa this year.

They all had the Wii, and are mad into their DS, Animal Crossing specifically seems to be their favourite. They also love coming round playing mainly Nintendoland but it was quite funny seeing them in Splatoon too.

They seem to talk to their friends about it and Mario Maker seems to have really peaked all their interest.

It just seemed like shooting fish in a barrel for Nintendo to convert all these already brainwashed little people into clear sales. How come the WiiU hasn't had a big Animal Crossing release?

I suppose the fact we still haven't had Zelda says it all.

Anyway, mini rant over. Looks like they will get at least 2 more WiiU sales this year in Ireland!

Now to get into that backlog of great games:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Mr E wrote: »
    Wow. :)

May have been a bit of a rant :p. But I just mean, I'd prefer to be safe in the knowledge that I was buying at the very least, an attempt at a decent game.

Some of them look like they're just lashing them up on the eshop and hoping a few idiots like me will buy them..:o
    Make hay while the sun shines, the NX may not be so free.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/letter
    http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/crab_cakes_rescue

Maybe I was a little wound up.. Time to relax with some eshop purchases :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It beggars belief how Nintendo have messed up the WiiU. Just talking to my nieces and nephew at the weekend, they are all hoping to get one from Santa this year.

They all had the Wii, and are mad into their DS, Animal Crossing specifically seems to be their favourite. They also love coming round playing mainly Nintendoland but it was quite funny seeing them in Splatoon too.

They seem to talk to their friends about it and Mario Maker seems to have really peaked all their interest.

It just seemed like shooting fish in a barrel for Nintendo to convert all these already brainwashed little people into clear sales. How come the WiiU hasn't had a big Animal Crossing release?

I suppose the fact we still haven't had Zelda says it all.

Anyway, mini rant over. Looks like they will get at least 2 more WiiU sales this year in Ireland!

Now to get into that backlog of great games:pac:

Er Animal Crossing will be out for Christmas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Crossing:_Amiibo_Festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I know, but it's pretty much too little too late. It's taken this long, and it's by all accounts a half assed party game?

• Advertisement

This weeks eShop releases and sales.

Wii U eShop

Extreme Exorcism (Ripstone, €12.99 / £9.99 or €11.04 / £8.49 until 23rd October for those with the Nindies@Home demo downloaded) – Available from Wednesday 23rd September.
    Nova-111 (Curve Digital, €10.99 / £8.99 until 8th of October, then €14.99 / £11.99)
    The Rivers of Alice: Extended Version (Delirium Studios, €7.99 / £7.19)
    The Quiet Collection (Nostatic Software, €4.49 / £2.99)
    Brave Tank Hero (Natsume, €5.99 / £4.99)
    Rock ‘N Racing Off Road DX (EnjoyUp Games, €7.99 / £7.19 or €2.99 / £2.73 for those who previously downloaded Rock ‘N Racing Off Road on the same system)

Wii U Retail Download

Skylanders SuperChargers (Activision, €49.99 / £44.99) – Available from Friday 25th September.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (Curve Digital, €4.49 / £3.99 until 8th October, regular price €13.99 / £12.99)
    Thomas Was Alone (Curve Digital, €2.49 / £2.20 until 8th October, regular price €7.99 / £6.99)
    Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (Curve Digital, €3.99 / £2.99 until 8th October, regular price €11.99 / £9.99)
    The Swapper (Curve Digital, €4.99 / £3.99 until 8th October, regular price €14.99 / £11.99)
    OlliOlli (Curve Digital, €3.39 / £2.49 until 8th October, regular price €9.99 / £7.99)
    SDK Paint (HullBreach Studios, €3.39 / £2.99 until 1st October, regular price €4.49 / £3.99)
    Family Tennis SP (Shin’en Multimedia, €3.70 / £2.99 until 15th October, regular price €4.99 / £3.99)
    Suspension Railroad Simulator (Joindots, €7.19 / £5.39 until 8th October, regular price €7.99 / £5.99)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

Disney Infinity 2.0: Play Without Limits (€19.99 / £16.49, was €29.99 / £24.99)

There's a couple of games with a decent discount I may pick up this Thursday. The Swapper for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Note - you can get the Disney Infinity 2.0 starter pack for £10-£12 (depending on your timing) off amazon with the game on disc, the required portal, a pair of figures (Stitch and Princess Merida, she wot shoots fer her own hand) and 2 Toybox game tokens themed around the 2 characters. Unless you're hell bent on owning it digitally and/or don't need the portal it seems the better deal.

Wasn't Infinity 2.0 free on the WiiU in the US?

The upcoming Animal Crossing release for the WiiU is very disappointing, little more than a clip show, and certainly not the game fans of the franchise were waiting for.
    Why did they not integrate the home maker 3DS title into a full WiiU release, allowing more customisation of your personal space in the game, seems maybe that's what was planned but the promise of pitiful sales changed their minds.
    Why invest in a AAA title with no one to buy it.

The upcoming Animal Crossing release for the WiiU is very disappointing, little more than a clip show, and certainly not the game fans of the franchise were waiting for.
    Why did they not integrate the home maker 3DS title into a full WiiU release, allowing more customisation of your personal space in the game, seems maybe that's what was planned but the promise of pitiful sales changed their minds.
    Why invest in a AAA title with no one to buy it.

Exactly. That's the way I see all their games being for the remainder of the Wii U. Sure we have Xenoblade Chronicles X coming at Christmas but that was announced and shown 2 and a half years ago, probably in development a year before that.

But the pitiful 2 new games announced at E3 are quick, cheap and lazy.

I don't think Starfox is cheap and lazy, and it undermines your argument when they have delayed it to make it better.
    That is what Nintendo have been always lauded for, releasing games when they are ready, regardless of delay.
    And, naturally, with little 3rd party support remaining and a new format incoming in the next 12 months, why is it still news that the console has few AAA releases left to it?
    This coming year we have Xenoblade, Starfox and Zelda, and all three have the chance of being stellar, at least two certain to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't think Starfox is cheap and lazy, and it undermines your argument when they have delayed it to make it better.
    That is what Nintendo have been always lauded for, releasing games when they are ready, regardless of delay.
    And, naturally, with little 3rd party support remaining and a new format incoming in the next 12 months, why is it still news that the console has few AAA releases left to it?
    This coming year we have Xenoblade, Starfox and Zelda, and all three have the chance of being stellar, at least two certain to be so.

Fire Emblem vs Shin Megami Tensi or whatever. Rumours of a new Pikmin as well as that Pokemon Fatal Fighter.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fire Emblem vs Shin Megami Tensi or whatever. Rumours of a new Pikmin as well as that Pokemon Fatal Fighter.

We'll be pensioners by the time Genei Ibun Roku releases, if it ever releases in the West. I hate Pokemon and that's an arcade game getting a Wii U port. Again is that coming West? Pikmin 4 would be great but there's no guarantee it's for the Wii U. It would make sense if it is.

Even the boxart for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is cheap and lazy.
    11164375-1004321801628643.jpg

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/mario-tennis-ultra-smash/11164375.html

And what's worse, they expect people to pay £40 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Even the boxart for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is cheap and lazy.
    11164375-1004321801628643.jpg

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/mario-tennis-ultra-smash/11164375.html

And what's worse, they expect people to pay £40 for it.
    ..and it's mostly blue! I hate blue! Gahhhhrrrrrgggghhhh!!

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    ..and it's mostly blue! I hate blue! Gahhhhrrrrrgggghhhh!!

Yeah, and it's a game called Mario Tennis, with a cover featuring Mario playing Tennis!!!!
    Why do you hate us so much Nintendo, you push pins into my testicles with such covers!!!
    a63ac6ca54de5c3e8d9839833c7f4233.jpg?itok=b-Be-Gfw

Advertisement