Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't usually agree with sligeach's negativity on these things, but man that Mario Tennis looks lame. I'm not a huge fan of xenoblade either, kind of a lame christmas for the U.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't usually agree with sligeach's negativity on these things, but man that Mario Tennis looks lame. I'm not a huge fan of xenoblade either, kind of a lame christmas for the U.

Most of those sports games feel like poor resprays of last years model, it probably is the closest thing Nintendo have to the EA Sports model of updating games, though in Nintendo's case it's one game release per console gen, and yet they still feel the same each time.
    Pity tbh, but i wonder if there is only so many ways to make tennis and golf interesting, especially if you want to populate it with Nintendo IP.
    They do the same thing with the Smash Bros franchise but at least the base gameplay and the expanding roster makes it a series people look forward to, rather than tennis, which seems to cause people to have lapses in consciousness instead.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most of those sports games feel like poor resprays of last years model, it probably is the closest thing Nintendo have to the EA Sports model of updating games, though in Nintendo's case it's one game release per console gen, and yet they still feel the same each time.
    Pity tbh, but i wonder if there is only so many ways to make tennis and golf interesting, especially if you want to populate it with Nintendo IP.
    They do the same thing with the Smash Bros franchise but at least the base gameplay and the expanding roster makes it a series people look forward to, rather than tennis, which seems to cause people to have lapses in consciousness instead.

Yeah but we don't get new smash bros that often, whereas Nintendo sports games are relatively more frequent. It's probably a bit late in the year to get twilight princess HD for christmas as well :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah but we don't get new smash bros that often, whereas Nintendo sports games are relatively more frequent. It's probably a bit late in the year to get twilight princess HD for christmas as well :(

We get Tennis and Golf on their home systems once a console generations.
    It just seems like more because they are all the same!
    And nothing wrong with a bit of Twilight Princess HD at any time, not that long ago it was just a rumour.
    I love that game, a real greatest hits of elements from previous Zelda titles and very easy to get into and complete.
    I'll certainly invest in it, despite already having it on the Wii and on the Gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

/\/ollog wrote: »
    http://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem The future is here!

I just checked my emails, looks like us in Europe can now redeem download codes from the interwebs just like Americans could do several months/a year ago.
    Very handy when you get something from cdkeys or what have you.

So, in theory, they could give us a humblebundle?

• Advertisement

I don't suppose anyone here lives near Stillorgan in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

@Miles - I work near stillorgan. And I have a lunch break coming up in the next few minutes.... why?

RE: Mario Tennis - I don't think you can have an endlessly fun Tennis game. The court is too limiting. The formats are too limiting. And in Nintendo's case, where you want to have a pick-up-and-play arcade experience, but possibly with some subtlety and depth to the controls, I think the approach is too limiting.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Mario Tennis on the N64. But I played it on Gamecube and 3DS and is was still the same game, with the same courts and surfaces and opponents and formats. Because that's Tennis. You don't have the scope for multiplayer mayhem. You can change the graphics, but a grass court in Bowsers Castle is much the same as one in Peach's tropical butterfly garden. The variety and invention that make games like Mariokart and Smash Bros shine just can't be applied in a meaningful way that directly affects the core game mechanic and experience. The same seems to be true of the Golf game which - bells and whistles aside - boils down to watching a couple of bars move up and down and pressing a button once in a while.

I guess you could go with a 4v4 or 8v8 format with anti-gravity boots and courts on the roof and walls and 8 tennis balls in play at a time, and powerups and hazards and minigames.... but it wouldn't be Tennis anymore, where at it's core Mariokart always feels like a top-flight racing game.

The one thing you can do is make it more like real tennis, but they already did that with EA's Wii tennis game with M+ support, and even then with all the licenses and real life personalities and character progression and competitions, it was still just like Mario Tennis on the N64 but my arm was more tired... Maybe the genre peaked too soon?

Banjo wrote: »
    @Miles - I work near stillorgan. And I have a lunch break coming up in the next few minutes.... why?

RE: Mario Tennis - I don't think you can have an endlessly fun Tennis game. The court is too limiting. The formats are too limiting. And in Nintendo's case, where you want to have a pick-up-and-play arcade experience, but possibly with some subtlety and depth to the controls, I think the approach is too limiting.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Mario Tennis on the N64. But I played it on Gamecube and 3DS and is was still the same game, with the same courts and surfaces and opponents and formats. Because that's Tennis. You don't have the scope for multiplayer mayhem. You can change the graphics, but a grass court in Bowsers Castle is much the same as one in Peach's tropical butterfly garden. The variety and invention that make games like Mariokart and Smash Bros shine just can't be applied in a meaningful way that directly affects the core game mechanic and experience. The same seems to be true of the Golf game which - bells and whistles aside - boils down to watching a couple of bars move up and down and pressing a button once in a while.

I guess you could go with a 4v4 or 8v8 format with anti-gravity boots and courts on the roof and walls and 8 tennis balls in play at a time, and powerups and hazards and minigames.... but it wouldn't be Tennis anymore, where at it's core Mariokart always feels like a top-flight racing game.

The one thing you can do is make it more like real tennis, but they already did that with EA's Wii tennis game with M+ support, and even then with all the licenses and real life personalities and character progression and competitions, it was still just like Mario Tennis on the N64 but my arm was more tired... Maybe the genre peaked too soon?

I was gonna ask would anyone kindly pick up that copy of windwaker HD Cex had for 35 euro, but I ended making the trek to get it myself.

We'll get a direct before the end of the year!

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/659279491622043648

Twilight princess HD here I come.

Hmm, I guess all the doom sayers who reckoned Nintendos only option was to become a multiplatform publisher can go and feck off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was in town yesterday and I noticed a lot of Nintendo toys in the shops. They're really getting more and more into that market. There were MK remote controlled karts, Mario dolls and Pikmin plushies as a few examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo have announced an operating profit for the first time in 5 years and are expected to outline their mobile plans sometime tomorrow.

Nintendo Direct also coming soon later this year according to new President Kimishima. (Just saw Miles posted that earlier)
    It will also have a new format in 2016.

5v94qv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

All I want is news about the new Zelda

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Guitar Hero Live is 80 quid on amazon.de. Was 60 there for a while, managed to pick it up at the price but 80 is still a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

One of the other things that came out in the Nintendo conference was that there are unannounced WiiU and 3DS games to be released before the end of the year. While it's unlikely to be anything big it's still good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I see the Wii U has surpassed the Dreamcast in sales 10.73M/10.6M.

Xenji wrote: »

Now, if that doesn't inspire confidence then I don't know what will! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Xenji wrote: »

Yeah, but some of us haven't gotten round to buying our Dreamcast yet.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ol' Donie wrote: »

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you I through my dreamcast plus games and controllers into the bin:-( there was something wrong with it but it probably would of been an easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

:eek:
    iamtony wrote: »
    You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you I through my dreamcast plus games and controllers into the bin:-( there was something wrong with it but it probably would of been an easy fix.

If I could only put a mushroom on Cidermans response.

They pop up regularly for bugger all money on Adverts, with a few games too.
    And its a superb games platform, obviously more so of you are a Sega fan, although many of the games found their way to other platforms, like F355 and Sonic Adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Preview Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw342fD1ay8

I said all along that this game was going to be a lazy filler game and there's been several previews in the last day or so all saying the same thing. I was going to pick it up when it went in the bargain bin. Doubt it now, I'll save my money now.

They pop up regularly for bugger all money on Adverts, with a few games too.
    And its a superb games platform, obviously more so of you are a Sega fan, although many of the games found their way to other platforms, like F355 and Sonic Adventure.
    I don't have room in the house for a retro console collection unfortunately, I don't know how anyone does especially with the crt to make it legit.
    But yes I've great memories of the dreamcast alright. Crazy taxi, shemue and that Tokyo car game were my favourite. But anyway this is retro forum chat.

iamtony wrote: »
    I don't have room in the house for a retro console collection unfortunately, I don't know how anyone does especially with the crt to make it legit.
    But yes I've great memories of the dreamcast alright. Crazy taxi, shemue and that Tokyo car game were my favourite. But anyway this is retro forum chat.

Regarding the CRT, the DC can be piped through to a monitor via a VGA adapter.
    My little collection wouldn't be the same without a DC, and with a massive library of arcade titles it really is great.
    I'd also suggest that the machine wouldn't look too bad on a modern display, given the great many titles that are 3D and polygon based.
    It's really the 2D sprite based stuff that is really meant for a CRT.
    On the CRT note, keep your eyes peeled for something like a Sony PVR, I got one for €30 and its got a tiny 7" screen, and games look superb on it.

Regarding the CRT, the DC can be piped through to a monitor via a VGA adapter.
    My little collection wouldn't be the same without a DC, and with a massive library of arcade titles it really is great.
    I'd also suggest that the machine wouldn't look too bad on a modern display, given the great many titles that are 3D and polygon based.
    It's really the 2D sprite based stuff that is really meant for a CRT.
    On the CRT note, keep your eyes peeled for something like a Sony PVR, I got one for €30 and its got a tiny 7" screen, and games look superb on it.
    What's a Sony PVR I did a search and it didn't return anything useful.
    I am into the retro stuff and I bought a SNES a few years back but I had nowhere practical for it so I sold it on. One day I shall have a room dedicated to gaming but the kids are still young so not for at least another 10 years, and then wAy things are now days probably 20 years.

My mistake!
    Typing error!
    It's a Sony PVM.
    Used in TV broadcast and production, or were up til the introduction of LCD.
    Even better is Sony BVM, but even harder to find.
    The picture quality is as good as it's possible to get, and they come in small screen sizes, crispy clear.

My mistake!
    Typing error!
    It's a Sony PVM.
    Used in TV broadcast and production, or were up til the introduction of LCD.
    Even better is Sony BVM, but even harder to find.
    The picture quality is as good as it's possible to get, and they come in small screen sizes, crispy clear.

Like this: http://www.adverts.ie/8879201 ?

You have me on a retro buzz now looking at adverts for a Dreamcast!

God I forgot about Sega Rally 2 what a game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sligeach wrote: »
    I was going to pick it up when it went in the bargain bin. Doubt it now, I'll save my money now.

Problem is Nintendo titles hardly ever go into bargain bins. Premium prices for 3-4 year old titles still.

Advertisement