Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Problem is Nintendo titles hardly ever go into bargain bins. Premium prices for 3-4 year old titles still.

It's really only ever after they move onto the next console cycle that even the second hand games' value drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some people are annoyed at that, and have reasons to be rightfully so, however it also has a nice advantage of buying a new game and still getting a very decent trade in price towards another game if you do that. PS4 game prices drop so fast that no one should be buying them new really, of course a gaming excuse can be used but economically it makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm sure this will be found cheap secondhand in time if not new. Splatoon was €35 new shipped. Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush was about €30 new shipped also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It's really only ever after they move onto the next console cycle that even the second hand games' value drop.

Its not even that, its all supply and demand, if you look at the amount of first party games released so far this life cycle, the games will never suffer from major price cuts, as their were not enough games released to have a continuous parity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

iamtony wrote: »
    Like this: http://www.adverts.ie/8879201 ?

You have me on a retro buzz now looking at adverts for a Dreamcast!

Buy it or I will, those things are like hens teeth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Buy it or I will, those things are like hens teeth!

Just stuck in an offer. thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you are to get the most from it you'll need an rgb breakout cable.
    This will allow the use of rgb cables that many consoles support, they terminate in a scart socket.
    With this display it needs a set of phono cables, and to get them from there rgb you need the aforementioned breakout.
    One of these is perfect
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321744637454&alt=web

If you just wanted to use regular composite, then you'll just need a set of these adapters,
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271212385803&alt=web

It's a lot to do but, trust me, your consoles will never look better.

If you are to get the most from it you'll need an rgb breakout cable.
    This will allow the use of rgb cables that many consoles support, they terminate in a scart socket.
    With this display it needs a set of phono cables, and to get them from there rgb you need the aforementioned breakout.
    One of these is perfect
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321744637454&alt=web

If you just wanted to use regular composite, then you'll just need a set of these adapters,
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271212385803&alt=web

It's a lot to do but, trust me, your consoles will never look better.
    Great stuff thanks. It's a cool looking monitor all the same and great I can pack it away somewhere. Now to get myself some retro consoles that I have nowhere for:-)

Great stuff thanks. It's a cool looking monitor all the same and great I can pack it away somewhere. Now to get myself some retro consoles that I have nowhere for:-)

Start with a MD and invest in a rgb cable, also get it region modded too, that way the games will run at full speed.
    I probably should shut up and simply direct you to the Arcade and Retro forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Start with a SNES and invest in a rgb cable, also get it region modded too, that way the games will run at full speed.

FYP... :mad:

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    FYP... :mad:

Yeah, but its harder to mod a SNES to output full speed goodness, better to buy a jap SNES or a US one and put in a switch less mod.

I've a two switch one done by Myrddin, great job! :)

Star Lord wrote: »
    I've a two switch one done by Myrddin, great job! :)

So, there you have it
    If you consider yourself a Nintendo fan you need to buy a SNES and have it modded by the Cat Mod Myrddin, all blessings be upon him.
    If you do not you are a mere shell of a Nintendo fan and should be shunned.
    Owning a VC copy of Super Metroid is great but pales before the glory of a physical copy running on original hardware!
    Cower mortals!!

So, there you have it
    If you consider yourself a Nintendo fan you need to buy a SNES and have it modded by the Cat Mod Myrddin, all blessings be upon him.
    If you do not you are a mere shell of a Nintendo fan and should be shunned.
    Owning a VC copy of Super Metroid is great but pales before the glory of a physical copy running on original hardware!
    Cower mortals!!

Yup! I've got the Japanese Super Metroid cart now, it's a thing of beauty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, but its harder to mod a SNES to output full speed goodness, better to buy a jap SNES or a US one and put in a switch less mod.

Or do what I done & get a Super Nintendo, a Super Famicom, & a US Snes so that you've the best of all worlds. Now, off to my therapist...be back shortly :)

Myrddin wrote: »
    Or do what I done & get a Super Nintendo, a Super Famicom, & a US Snes so that you've the best of all worlds. Now, off to my therapist...be back shortly :)

Ahem..... retron 5 plays everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ahem..... retron 5 emulates everything

Fixed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The retron 5 looks fantastic, might have to invest in one after Christmas!

By the by, and apologies for being on topic, but is FIFA 13 the only version on the Wii U?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

By the by, and apologies for being on topic, but is FIFA 13 the only version on the Wii U?

Yup, only soccer game on the system really but it is good though. I still play it and it was one of the first games I got.

smokingman wrote: »
    Yup, only soccer game on the system really but it is good though. I still play it and it was one of the first games I got.

Thanks, I'll order that then. Dirt cheap anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Thanks, I'll order that then. Dirt cheap anyway.

Yeah, I've seen it for a fiver in argos.
    Totally worth it

It is pretty great but, as Myrddin says, it is emulation at the end of the day, but seamless emulation at that.
    You can use a modern display without the games looking crap, you can use original controllers, which is a good thing for a few reasons
    1: There is nothing like the feeling of playing Snes, GB and NES/Famicom games with a Nintendo controller.
    2: The fancy bluetooth controller it ships with is a nasty piece of muck, little more than a tide you over remote control until you man up and buy a few MD, Snes and NES controllers instead!

There still is little to compare to a owning a Famicom and having a blast on Balloon Fight tbh.

Sorry for going so damn far off topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's times like this, when I wish I didn't sell my US SNES, Earthbound and all the rest.

:(

Start with a MD and invest in a rgb cable, also get it region modded too, that way the games will run at full speed.

The monitor was already sold but the ad never removed unfortunately. I was looking forward to getting my hands on that. Anyways I've a 19" old 4:3 LCD knocking around that still takes analogue inputs so it should do me for now till another one pops up. Thanks again.

The monitor was already sold but the ad never removed unfortunately. I was looking forward to getting my hands on that. Anyways I've a 19" old 4:3 LCD knocking around that still takes analogue inputs so it should do me for now till another one pops up. Thanks again.

Feck, that's lousy, sorry to hear that.
    Keep an eye too on Ebay, looking for PVM and refine the search to within Ireland, that's how I found mine, and it was about €30 as well, TV production companies getting rid of old stock, selling it cheap.

smokingman wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen it for a fiver in argos.
    Totally worth it

Got it new for £3.99 delivered on eBay in the end. Not quite as good as a fiver in Argos but happy enough with that. Just have to wait for Stephens day to persuade my son to give me a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

METROID: THE SKY CALLS // a Rainfall Films Intergalactic Odyssey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3kfyZJhC3U

There's no real place to put this so I put it here. It serves as a reminder that the Wii U got no new Metroid game. I'd love to see a full length big budget Metroid feature film also.

You think we need to be reminded there was no new WiiU Metroid game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You think we need to be reminded there was no new WiiU Metroid game?

The Wii U did get a new metroid game.. :confused:

• Advertisement

What was that?
    The last new Metroid game was on the Wii, Another M, and the WiiU got the welcome release of Metroid Prime Trilogy via Virtual Console, but it's not what I wanted for sure, a new Metroid Prime title.

Advertisement