Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What was that?
    The last new Metroid game was on the Wii, Another M, and the WiiU got the welcome release of Metroid Prime Trilogy via Virtual Console, but it's not what I wanted for sure, a new Metroid Prime title.

Oh. I thought they did.. I forgot..

Trollface.png

:oyes, i am fully aware how cr*p that attempt at humour was, yet I still went for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Edit: Too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

... but it's not what I wanted for sure, a new Metroid Prime title.

I don't know if we'll ever get another Metroid Prime. We'll get new Metroid games for sure, but probably not Prime. Retro are working on an original game idea according to the rumors, and it's about damn time.

A new game in the style of the old 2D Metroid games, but that looks great would probably do great. I know it's the main reason I backed the "Ghost Song" game that's currently being made. And it looks superb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    I don't know if we'll ever get another Metroid Prime. We'll get new Metroid games for sure, but probably not Prime.

oghJd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't want another Metroid Prime. I want a full Metroid experience and a good chunk of it is missing when it's in first person. It needs to combine the best of Prime with the best of Other M and make improvements on its amalgamation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't want another Metroid Prime. I want a full Metroid experience and a good chunk of it is missing when it's in first person. It needs to combine the best of Prime with the best of Other M and make improvements on its amalgamation.

I would have to disagree, I felt that Metroid Prime had everything that a Metroid game needs, and I speak as someone who played and finished Super Metroid on release.
    Other M was pitful, those cut scenes, the misogynist story line, just terrible, my opinions of course, but still, shockingly sh1te game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you can discount the story lines and the cut scenes, it's not a bad game.

I did hate what they did with Samus in those scenes/story though. Same reason I didn't particularly like Jessica Chobot as Samus in that short film just released. She looks too panicked in some scenes. Probably more to do with what she was directed to do rather than her interpretation/acting, but yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or have a repeat of 2002 when both Fusion and Prime were released. At least in some places

I would have to disagree, I felt that Metroid Prime had everything that a Metroid game needs, and I speak as someone who played and finished Super Metroid on release.
    Other M was pitful, those cut scenes, the misogynist story line, just terrible, my opinions of course, but still, shockingly sh1te game!

I don't know how you can say that. Yes Other M had problems like its story and controls, switching back and forth between sideways controls and pointing at the screen, the nunchuk should have been used. But it did good things too. I also played Super Metroid at release and it's my favourite game of all time. Samus in Prime moves like a tank. She's meant to be quick and agile. Other M brought that back. In Prime, moves like screw attack, wall jump, grapple beam, super jump, speed dash are either missing or completely nerfed.

I'd like to see a mixture of 1st and 3rd person. 1st person for shooting and scanning with 3rd person for general play. The sad thing is the gamepad was perfect for it. Retro Studios were initially tasked with making a 3rd person game but couldn't cope it so the decision was made to switch to 1st person. I really enjoyed the Prime games but they're not the full Metroid experience. I think the NX will have a second screen so it's still possible in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Prime I felt got mired in some of the trappings of the old game that were more to do with the limits of the technology and mindset of the time of Super Metroid than honest to god design decisions for the 'Cube era. Simple things, like the distance between Save rooms that forced you to play in 20-25 minute blocks of time (ok, this is the only thing I hated about Prime, because I had exactly 15 minutes every morning to try and beat the boss then leg it to a save room before I had to leave for work and I *never* made it). I'm not saying a new Metroid needs to be an open world sandbox with de/constructable environments, crafting and zombies that come at night, but they do need take the character out of it's 15 (or 20, if we're being honest) year old shackles and stick it into something a bit more now.

And to be honest, if that means an open galaxy or star cluster with a focussed plot that tackles pirates and metroids and the chozo legacy where you can switch from 1st or 3rd person cover-based firefights to side-on platforming and rolling, but also the (post-credits?) option to build your own Bounty Hunter, take on randomised contracts and earn your gear, ship and base against a backdrop of stellapolitical instability then so be it.

• Advertisement

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival - Party Animals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Ltap-CyNQ

:o:( :mad:

The only thing about the Prime series I didn't like was the crushing difficulty of the 2nd game with the gameworld that's trying to kill you in the dark world.
    Otherwise it is a stunning master class in how to make a previously 2d game into a 3d one.
    All the criticisms levelled at it here remind me of comments on OoT, when it emerged after LttP, oh wait, no one said anything of the sort!
    The Prime series innovated, yes it removed some elements that were part of the previous title on the Snes, but it added enormously to the series, particularly expanding on the environmental designs, taking 2d sprite based classic worlds and turning them into 3d playgrounds.
    Honestly, the games levels were amazing, organic, degraded mecha, and thoroughly alien, and more impressive than the concurrent Halo titles imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I'm a huge Halo fan, currently playing Halo 5. Metroid Prime still wipes the floor with it though imo. Metroid Prime is my favourite game to this day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As someone who doesn't take interest in amiibo, the AC is a no-go for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Wheres the best place to get a good case for the controller, my mate broke his LCD last night, anyone ever replaced one?

safetyboy wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to get a good case for the controller, my mate broke his LCD last night, anyone ever replaced one?
    Amazon seems to have the best ones that would actually protect it. You could probably get them cheaper if you look around.
    Storage Case for Gamepad
    Screen Protector
    Anti-Shock Aluminium Cover
    Play and Grip Hard Shell Case with built in stand

It doesn't look hard at all to replace - parts are cheap enough too

Snip - Selling isn't allowed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

New Direct!

CTdXkrtVAAAeOvd.jpg:large

itshappeningreggie!!.gif

I hadn't realised I never played Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U.

I inserted the disk there, to play online mutliplayer mode.. :(
    Not a body available online..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Allyall wrote: »

Everyone is in the wasteland collecting pencils.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Most, if not nearly all 3rd party online game lobbies are empty except for a few titles like Black Ops II. That's not even great. Well less than a thousand most days, need to play when the Americans are awake and there's barely enough to play team and free-for-all. Most other modes are empty. MH3U is probably the busiest 3rd party game. Well it was, haven't played it in yonks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Direct's at 10 PM, last time it was that late wasn't there "M-Rated" content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Direct's at 10 PM, last time it was that late wasn't there "M-Rated" content?

Is it not just a time zone thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

If they get the Gamepad integration right Minecraft U could be great.

I'd say a lot of developers of Minecraft clones, sold on the Eshop, have just sh1t themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd say the people involved in today's Nintendo Direct are cursing that this got leaked early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Well, looks like ill be buying Minecraft again then, sigh! Hopefully the gamepad will be properly supported and maybe even a Nintendo texture pack or two! Hyrule Minecraft would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mushroom Kingdom? Zebes? Oh I like that idea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Nintendo! Its been so long since we heard off them! I'm so excited! Lets play direct bingo!

12238240_471212783061791_5067693019225894312_o.jpg

Advertisement