Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is there anything on the horizon that'd lead to movement in Wii-U sales? I imagine we've all long since given up on it as a world-beater, but I'm just curious if this is it for the little console that probably could have, but didn't, and now it won't?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is there anything on the horizon that'd lead to movement in Wii-U sales? I imagine we've all long since given up on it as a world-beater, but I'm just curious if this is it for the little console that probably could have, but didn't, and now it won't?

No there's nothing. Wii U's had its big hitters and nothing's worked. Zelda U could have given it a little bump this Christmas but that's gone now with its delay. The console's in the gutter and Nintendo won't even try a price cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

sligeach wrote: »
    No there's nothing. Wii U's had its big hitters and nothing's worked. Zelda U could have given it a little bump this Christmas but that's gone now with its delay. The console's in the gutter and Nintendo won't even try a price cut.

Its probably not even worth a price cut now. Same reason why Sony hasn't dropped the PS vita's memory card prices in nearly 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

250 quid? Sure its cheaper in symths, I was hoping for even cheaper :p
    I just did a quick look on Amazon and Pricespy... I figured they'd all gone back up for the run up to Christmas.

Slightly cheaper..
    €245 Delivered game and motion controller :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Allyall wrote: »

March 4th my birthday might just mention this slighty during a conversation with the family

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Christ on a bike, I got my Twilight Princess for the GameCube for a third of that, and its the hard to find edition.
    Definitely wouldn't be paying such a premium price for a HD makeover, that should be €50 at the most, including the Amiibo.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, I got my Twilight Princess for the GameCube for a third of that, and its the hard to find edition.
    Definitely wouldn't be paying such a premium price for a HD makeover, that should be €50 at the most, including the Amiibo.

Completely agree. No way am I paying that much. We may get more reasonable prices closer to launch. I also want the Xenoblade Chronicles X Limited Edition for Christmas but have yet to find a reasonable price and if I don't, I may just have to go without.

I'd imagine many people will preorder it as a holder. Don't amazon drop the price even if you've preordered at a higher one?

$59 on Amazon.com is roughly €55 so it seems a bit much to add ~ €25.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xenoblade Chronicles X I will certainly buy, and I'll pay current gen prices for it, and I don't mind because of the scale of the title, it's a genuinely current gen, sprawling adventure with, hopefully, hours and hours of original gameplay in there. That said, I will be sensible and spend around €60 for it, no more.

• Advertisement

Coolshop where I buy quiet a few games have the Limited Edition Xenoblade Chronicles X at £65. That's roughly €93. It's another game that isn't easily available everywhere. Gamestop and Smyths don't have the Limited Edition listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Are there different versions of the cube game?

Playing this game on Wii launch night is one of my all time favourite gaming memories. Actually, just one of my favourite memories altogether.

The listing for Minecraft has been removed from the PEGI website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3t1l8a/minecraft_wii_u_edition_has_been_removed_from/

It would explain why it wasn't shown at the Direct. It did seem strange that it was listed when the Wii U was getting the sort of spin-off called Story Mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The listing for Minecraft has been removed from the PEGI website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3t1l8a/minecraft_wii_u_edition_has_been_removed_from/

It would explain why it wasn't shown at the Direct. It did seem strange that it was listed when the Wii U was getting the sort of spin-off called Story Mode.

I hope this actually happens! Saw speculation that the 12-11-2015 date on the website could have meant December 11th rather than November 12th, though that is clutching at straws of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Lads, Xenoblade won't be hard to find like the original will it? I want it but not sure if I'll pick it up this side of Christmas.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Lads, Xenoblade won't be hard to find like the original will it? I want it but not sure if I'll pick it up this side of Christmas.

The game on its own should be fine, though it's listed as €60 on Irish sites. It's the Limited Edition that I want and is very hard to find, and impossible to find at a fair price.

The game on its own should be fine, though it's listed as €60 on Irish sites. It's the Limited Edition that I want and is very hard to find, and impossible to find at a fair price.

http://www.ultima.pl/ct/nintendo-wii-u/gry/role-playing-rpg/xenoblade-chronicles-x-limited-edition-pack

:p

I know you gave out about them for whatever reason the last time, but I got my game without the price hike and on the Monday after the Friday Release.

It's not going to get here on Release day, but for €68 + shipping (and possibly cheaper if you wait for the Euro to get a little stronger) it might be the best option at the minute.
    You could always buy it in Argos or GS on release day and bring back the one from the Limited edition on the Monday.

You could always add something else (Amiibo or controller etc.) to the basket if you feel the shipping is raising the price of the game.

EDIT
    €51.80 if you know anyone in France. http://www.e-leclerc.com/catalogue/rayons/culture/jeux-video/xenoblade-chronicles-x-wii-u-edition-limitee,668205380

I'm guessing the extras are in French though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

The limited edition is still available available to preorder from Amazon.fr for €59.99, that's where I've ordered mine. I'm pretty sure they just make the same version for the European release, so no worries with language, or am I mistaken on this?

The limited edition is still available available to preorder from Amazon.fr for €59.99, that's where I've ordered mine. I'm pretty sure they just make the same version for the European release, so no worries with language, or am I mistaken on this?

All the boxes seem the same, so you're probably right. I never even looked on Amazon.. :o I just assumed it was sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Got Project Zero last week grand no problems all europe release are the same from my experience

• Advertisement

I seen this on HUKD a few days ago. It's gone down marginally since then. There was something about getting a €10 voucher for buying a €50 gift card. There was terms and conditions, I don't have an account, one of the conditions was that accounts created after September didn't qualify. Then dealing in French would be awkward and though it's likely to be the same packaging all across Europe, I'd like to deal with a UK site just to be safe.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xenoblade-chronicles-x-limited-edition-wii-u-45-04-amazon-france-2323083

I may go for it, considering I paid €61 for Project Zero and this will be so much better, I really should. If I had a guarantee that it's the same as the UK bundle I would. I still think about the USB drive that the Americans are getting with some of the games soundtrack but we're not. Why? There should be no reason.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Are there different versions of the cube game?

Playing this game on Wii launch night is one of my all time favourite gaming memories. Actually, just one of my favourite memories altogether.

Well, no, they released two editions, one GC one Wii, and while the Wii edition was as common as muck the GC edition had a short print run.
    Hence why it's harder to find.
    It is also the "proper) version as the map and gameplay hasn't been mirrored for the purposes of Wiimote use with Link, as they wanted you and link to be holding the controller and weapon in the same hand, normally Link is left handed, so the GC game reflects that. It'll be interesting to see if the HD version reflects the Wii game or GameCube one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's based on the GC version, as you can see Link uses the sword in his left hand, and the shackle is on Wolf Link's left paw, as opposed to right for both in the Wii version. (And the flipped map)

Even less of a reason for me to buy it!
    Which I will, anyway :(

Another question then.
    They must have removed Wiimote support from the game, but if they haven't... does that mean that you'll wield the controller in the right hand to control a sword in Link's left? Will this end the universe as we know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Kinda disappointed if we don't at least get the option for wii controls. Aiming the bow is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Meanwhile, has anyone here played the Dead Rising game on Wii?

Is it worth picking up? I liked the first one on 360 until it started p*ssing me off.

Is it set in the mall? You can't bait the ol' zombies in the mall formula.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Meanwhile, has anyone here played the Dead Rising game on Wii?

Is it worth picking up? I liked the first one on 360 until it started p*ssing me off.

Is it set in the mall? You can't bait the ol' zombies in the mall formula.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2009/02/24/dead-rising-chop-till-you-drop-review

It was terrible. I feel that a 6.9 back then would review even lower today. Chop was an apt word in the games title as it was butchered. If you want you can buy it fairly cheap but I'd save my money if I were you.

Nintendo continue to treat us like kids and nerfing what was the Japanese version of the game.
    You Can't Alter The Chest Size Of Female Characters In The Western Version Of Xenoblade Chronicles X

Busted

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in the west soon, and is shaping up to be quite the experience - as you'll know if you've already read our hands-on impressions with the final code.

However, fans have expressed some concern at the localisation changes made by Nintendo so far. First up was the fact that major character Lin could no longer wear skimpy outfits, as well as rumours that her age had been changed from 13 to 15 (we reported on this, but having played the game ourselves it is now clear that she's still 13, just like she was in the Japanese version).

Another change relating to female characters in the game has been spotted by GameXplain. In the avatar creation mode, it's now impossible to alter the size of a female character's bust. This feature was present in the Japanese version, which launched in April of this year.

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in North America and in Europe on December 4th.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/you_cant_alter_the_chest_size_of_female_characters_in_the_western_version_of_xenoblade_chronicles_x

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-16-xenoblade-chronicles-xs-english-version-ditches-breast-slider

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Japanese to English Changes & Differences (Character Creator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA7uW-Efy3k

Yet as a comment I read wrote, paraphrasing, Cia was allowed parade around in Hyrule Warriors with massive baps on show and make innuendo comments about Link's Master Sword.
    0431tp2e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There was some commentary - Destructoid I think - that reckoned this was nothing to do with censorship; Since all NPC clothing can be equipped and worn, it stands to reason that all player characters have a standard body, and restricting breast size means they don't have to bug hunt clipping issues with every single item of female / unisex clothing. Although isn't this already out in Japan, or is that just review code?

Also, by all accounts, the Jugslide did not take gravity or that phenomenon I can only think of as Boobosity into accounts - they basically expand outwards on a single plane. So you're not missing much. Besides, given where the camera's going to be most of the time, shouldn't we be complaining about the lack of an arse-sculpting sub menu?

(I don't agree with the thinking behind this, btw, in so far as most of the games where you see this kind of thing going on like say Bravely Default or Fire Emblem are not going to expand their western market by a single buyer by doing it, but will probably lose a couple of huffy teenagers out of spite. But had they not reported it I doubt I'd have noticed or cared.)

• Advertisement

The game came out over 6 months ago in Japan and it's rumoured that the Western translation was finished quite a while ago and is just waiting for the Christmas market. Reading around the various sites, this latest bit of info has gone down like a lead balloon with some saying they've cancelled their pre orders. I don't like this decision, it's unnecessary and it reinforces the stereotype of Nintendo being kiddy.

Advertisement