Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I am indeed, using Chrome on my android phone.

Ah, so we can comment but not post new posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That may be the case alright. I'd not tried to post anything new, just to comment on an existing one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Yeah, I'm liking being able to this alright....straight from my own game :D
    391153_10151886804272538_890812387_n.jpg

I liked your one parked on top of the warp pipe! :-D

I also like this in joke from ZombiU
    screenshot
    (posted from my phone so hope it's not too big)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

smokingman wrote: »
    You can't post from a mobile which is just the way I'd like it to stay.

Cool being able to check posts though.

This is only the beta version,I'm sure they'll add more functionality(ie.apps for devices) as time goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bombshell.

"At this years E3 we will not be announcing a new hardware system, so E3's primary mission will be to have [press, analysts] experience our software. Many people would like to know more about the titles for Wii U that will be announced. We will use the timing of E3 to focus on providing details about our Wii U titles for release this year, and intend to create opportunities for guests to the conference to experience them immediately. We will attempt to use this year's E3 to make announcements in a new way that we have not tried before.

Unlike previous years, we will not have a large-scale [E3] presentation directed to everyone in the world. Instead, we are planning several smaller events focusing on software for America. Among these hands-on events will be one for American distributors and another for western media." -Satoru Iwata

Bizarre decision, especially when they need to sell units. It's gonna be weird not watching a Nintendo E3 conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

unless they feel an hour presentation isnt enough or they feel what they have to show isnt ready yet to go up against sony and ms new hardware.

up to now the nintendo directs have been much better showcasing nintendi products to nintendo fans, i think marketing needs to be more addressed for the parents rather than the gamer.

still its a bizarre decision, hope it pays off someway and although i am very happy with my wii u theres alot of people calling for iwata to resign as of late

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"i think marketing needs to be more addressed for the parents rather than the gamer."
    Not sure I understand what you mean by that - could you elaborate?

As a parent, a gamer and an owner of a WiiU, I want Nintendo to explain one thing to me, and one thing only : How 4-year-old-resistant is the WiiU Controller?

I wouldn't buy a WiiU for a kid under 10 because I don't want to have to spend €150 replacing the controller every 3 months to keep the console from becoming a useless hunk of junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Banjo wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a WiiU for a kid under 10 because I don't want to have to spend €150 replacing the controller every 3 months to keep the console from becoming a useless hunk of junk.

Under 10? 4 I can understand, but 8, 9? I have games and systems from my childhood which are nothing but time-worn; when I was a kid, they were the best things I owned and I took care of them (I'd have been raging if any young cousins were allowed near them!)

Not sure I understand what you mean by that - could you elaborate?

As a parent, a gamer and an owner of a WiiU, I want Nintendo to explain one thing to me, and one thing only : How 4-year-old-resistant is the WiiU Controller?

from what i am hearing the parent does not understand that the wii u is a console but think its just a peripheral for the wii.

a gamer who has a basic knowledge about the videogame circle would know what the wii u is but holding out for the games.

so i think marketing should go towards showing that it is a new system so parents would then make their minds up would my kid want this.

• Advertisement

@ kinski : Even in my twenties when I lost a Mariokart race because of a red shell on the line, the controller went flying :) Sometimes in the heat of the moment, you forget that you're holding the yearly wage of a Reebok factory worker in your hand.

I say "under 10" because at 10 they can get a paper round and replace the bloody thing themselves :)

Richy - I see what you mean. Strange they made exactly the same branding snafu on 2 successive releases. It's not just the parents though, I was in smyths the other day and a kid was begging his mam for various 3DS games and she kept saying, through increasingly gritted teeth, "You have the DS, those are for the 3DS".

The Rayman Challenge App is now up on the eStore 840'ish MB,just in case some of you had not seen it.

From a Nintendo of America statement earlier it seems there will be one or a few Nintendo Directs in the days around E3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Corholio wrote: »
    From a Nintendo of America statement earlier it seems there will be one or a few Nintendo Directs in the days around E3.
    Doesn`t bother me that much anyway the Directs have been better than most E3 conferences anyway. Last years ones were absolutely terrible.
    I expect them this year to be no better with a load of "gameplay footage" of new systems being shown on monster PC`s.

The Spring Update is now live.Now lets see how long it takes!!
    Version 3.0.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

New Features:

A standby function to download and install software while the system is powered off
    Software purchased from the Nintendo eShop will automatically install in the background once the download is complete
    Holding down the B Button while the Wii U logo is displayed during startup will load the Wii Menu *¹

Changes to System Settings:

An option to transfer and/or copy between two USB storage devices in "Data Management"
    To facilitate this feature, you will now be able to connect two USB storage devices to a single Wii U console*²
    The ability to select multiple software titles when transferring, copying, or deleting data in "Data Management"
    The option to adjust screen size is now available under "TV" *³
    "Auto Power-Down" has been renamed "Power Settings"
    Options for the standby function are located within this menu

Changes to Miiverse:

Added support for the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Classic Controller
    Handwritten posts will now also display on the TV screen during creation
    "Undo" and "Redo" buttons are now available when creating a handwritten post
    Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation
    Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings

Changes to the Internet Browser:

Added support for the Wii Remote and Wii U Pro Controller
    Added the option to change search engines when performing a keyword search
    Added the option to return to the start page from the bookmark menu

Changes to Download Management:

Added the option to change the priority of downloads

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

*1 User selection may be necessary

*2 Only one USB storage device can be used during normal use

*3 A similar option has been removed from Nintendo eShop, Miiverse, and the Internet Browser

Here is some more up to date info on tomorrow's VC launch.

Hope this post looks ok I'm posting from my mobile!!
    Virtual Console (Europe)

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 | 11:15 BST

It's Virtual Console time, and Panorama View
    original.jpg

We've already seen the launch lineup for the Virtual Console, but with today's system update going live we now have confirmation of the titles, and prices, that'll hit the European eShop. We expect the North American details to be largely the same and to arrive soon. A key fact for those of you that have bought these titles before on the Wii Shop but want the improved Wii U versions, is that upgrading a NES title will cost you just €/£0.99, while a SNES upgrade is €/£1.49; the prices below are for first-time purchases, and all titles are available from 27th April.
    Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario World (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — Widely regarded, including in our own staff votes here on Nintendo Life, as the best Super NES title and the finest of Mario's 2D adventures. Whether you agree with that or not, most will happily admit that this is classic platforming from start to finish. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Ice Climber (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — Reminiscent of a time of more simplistic, arcade-style titles on the NES, this is a franchise that's been dormant for a long time, though the characters have become famous in Smash Bros. In truth this one can feel loose and awkward to play, so is perhaps for die-hards only. __This is the 60Hz US version of the game._

Mario's Super Picross (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — We've become largely accustomed to playing Picross on the go, so this is a relatively rare home console version from the Super NES. There's little to say apart from the fact that it's a well executed version of the game, as you fill out pictures on a grid by following the numbered cues; certainly one for fans of the genre to strongly consider. This is the Japanese version of the game.

Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — Rather like Ice Climbers, this harks back to arcade-style origins, in this case with single screen action puzzle solving. A notable twist is that Mario is the villain in this game, and in short bursts can be fun, but up against some of its rivals it can feel like a clunky, flawed experience. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Excitebike (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This bike racer has seen recent life as a free 3D Classic, but it arrives on Wii U in its original NES glory. It's simple but iconic racing fare with a modest number of tracks, but the track editor should give it some extra life. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

Punch Out!! (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This one has already been in the Famicom Anniversary celebrations at €0.30 / £0.30 for a limited period. If you did miss out this is your second chance, albeit at a much higher price, to pick up one of the true iconic classics of the NES library. You can see what we thought of the experience on Wii U in our Punch Out!! review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.

F-Zero (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — Another title that's been available at a bargain price until recently, this is one of the finest futuristic racer you'll find, and still stands up today. High speed action with terrific visuals and music, you can read all about it in our F-Zero review. This is the 60Hz US version of the game.
    Wii U eShop

Wii U Panorama View (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79 per virtual tour) — Originally shown off extensively at preview events before the system launched, this app takes you on fixed tours where you move the GamePad at any angle to see a "window" into a 360 degree view. A free preview will be available to download, or you can choose from four full tours to purchase.

8 bloody euros for super mario world. Bitty over the priced there nintendo

8 bloody euros for super mario world. Bitty over the priced there nintendo

In fairness the prices have been known for quite a while now.

But ya it is a bit much especially if people have played them for free through emulation, but then again Nintendo have always valued their franchises highly and they know people want them.

£5.50 sterling -> €8... That's a messed up currency conversion!

Are they making good on the promise of reduced prices for the WiiU off-telly version if you bought the Wii version?

Not sure I understand your point here.
    But ya it is a bit much especially if people have played them for free through emulation

Far Cry 3 is a bit much at €34.99 if you played a pirated version for free. Diesel at the pumps cost 5 times what Red Hugh sells it for off the back of his tractor - rip off! Why buy a woman dinner and a movie when you can just follow her home from work and break into her apartment after her flatmate goes out for a jog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness the prices have been known for quite a while now.

But ya it is a bit much especially if people have played them for free through emulation, but then again Nintendo have always valued their franchises highly and they know people want them.
    Are they making good on the promise of reduced prices for the WiiU off-telly version if you bought the Wii version?

Not sure I understand your point here.

Far Cry 3 is a bit much at €34.99 if you played a pirated version for free. Diesel at the pumps cost 5 times what Red Hugh sells it for off the back of his tractor - rip off! Why buy a woman dinner and a movie when you can just follow her home from work and break into her apartment after her flatmate goes out for a jog?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002STXQ/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_sss_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&sr=
    Beats that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

And definitely beats this one, considering the Wii-U is running the 60Hz version, and not its slower, PAL sibling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes its cheaper than the real cart, but I still think €8 is madness to play an emulated rom. I'd still rather buy the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just done the update there

703mb and went fairly quick but it hit a snag on the gamepad update damn near **** myself.

It restarted and completed the 2nd time

Got mario world for 1.50 and about to have a look at the panorama view.

between all that and grabbing every demo/freebie for my jap 3ds this is going to be a busy day:D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Just done the update there

703mb and went fairly quick but it hit a snag on the gamepad update damn near **** myself.

It restarted and completed the 2nd time

Got mario world for 1.50 and about to have a look at the panorama view.

between all that and grabbing every demo/freebie for my jap 3ds this is going to be a busy day:D

Mine done the exact same, fuzzed the update on the gamepad. It continued on after a restart though thank christ!

Is Mario World €1.50 on the store or is that the gamepad update for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I had bought mario world for the vc on the wii and i done the transfer.

Assume thats why im getting it cheaper:D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I had bought mario world for the vc on the wii and i done the transfer.

Assume thats why im getting it cheaper:D

Yeah thats the update for VC stuff that allows it to run on the Pad I think? You don't have to pay extra, but if you don't, you have to run in on the tv

Ya mine froze aswell and then restarted on the install at 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah thats the update for VC stuff that allows it to run on the Pad I think? You don't have to pay extra, but if you don't, you have to run in on the tv

The Wii SMW is only playable from Wii mode.
    Don't have restore points etc.
    It's a little bit more than just wanting to play it on the pad.

Can't wait for N64 games to cost a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Has it been mentioned at all about the possibility of game cube games being emulated on the Wii u? Playing some of them on the pad would be great.

Advertisement