Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »
    The game came out over 6 months ago in Japan and it's rumoured that the Western translation was finished quite a while ago and is just waiting for the Christmas market. Reading around the various sites, this latest bit of info has gone down like a lead balloon with some saying they've cancelled their pre orders. I don't like this decision, it's unnecessary and it reinforces the stereotype of Nintendo being kiddy.

Yeah, because it's mature and adult to want to be able to put a 13 year old in skimpy clothing and adjust their breast size to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well they've been dated for Q1 2016 so.

Maybe in the US, but we will see them 6 months after that, Bravely Default came out in the EU 10 months after the US release.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Lads, Xenoblade won't be hard to find like the original will it? I want it but not sure if I'll pick it up this side of Christmas.

The Game Collection have it for E50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Xenji wrote: »
    Maybe in the US, but we will see them 6 months after that, Bravely Default came out in the EU 10 months after the US release.

No, bravely second is dated for Q1 in the EU, as is fire emblem. It was on that direct last week.

No, bravely second is dated for Q1 in the EU, as is fire emblem. It was on that direct last week.

As were both Awakening and BD1, and still both got pushed back months from the US release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yeah, because it's mature and adult to want to be able to put a 13 year old in skimpy clothing and adjust their breast size to your liking.

As glib and as true as that line is, it's the patronising nannying way they remove the option - which for example would allow female gamers who have anything other than a "default" chest to create a more sympathetic avatar - rather than take the chance that one kid create a wasp-wasted jug-monster. Or even adding something approaching a parental lock if they feel it's needed (on a teen rated game?). I mean god forbid we make our own choices or take responsibility for ourselves. The boob slider at this point becomes irrelevant, it's the mere fact that they've decided that something non-sexual that can become sexualised depending on the attitude of the player is acceptable for the Japanese but too much for Westerners to handle.

Cancelling your pre-order over the loss of a boob slider is pointlessly infantile though, unless there was a 45 minute subquest with incredible loot drops that could only be accessed by placing a bosom of sufficient size onto the Melonator 5000 which we will now not be able to access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »
    the Melonator 5000

*Quickly patents*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Star Lord wrote: »

They're not talking about Lyn in that last story though they reference her previous censorship. I've no problem with Lyn's censorship though it could be argued that she's a fictional character, an engineer on an alien planet in a sci-fi game. What 13 year old is an engineer? They could have given her a higher age than they did. They did afterall change her from 13 to 15 for here. Censorship, whether we agree or not with it is going to negatively affect sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

the Melonator 5000
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    *Quickly patents*
    5e8aecd2880a1e3e823f4e1d512d4dd6.png
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97760735&postcount=2302

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In other non-boob-related news, the PEGI listing for Wii U Minecraft has been removed. Hmmm....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/minecraft_wii_u_edition_classification_has_been_removed_by_pegi

• Advertisement

Censorship, whether we agree or not with it is going to negatively affect sales.

Which is ridiculous given the nature of the changes being made, really. Removing puerile, borderline paedophilic nonsense from the game makes sense, as it's extremely creepy in the first place. The 'breast size slider' debacle is less of an issue, but still somewhat ridiculous that people are getting up in arms over it's removal.

Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't a kiddy game. There's no amiibo attached to this nor was there to Bayonetta 2(thank God). The NintendoLife article has over 400 comments, their most commented on in some time. The GameXplain video has over 2,000 comments in a few days. Other sites like IGN and Neogaf have had a lot to say as well. Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't a mature rated game but it will be mostly played by 18+ gamers I'd bet. A boob slider wouldn't have changed the age rating. It's needless nannying, changing the developers original vision and causing negative publicity.

It is not like we are talking about Dead or Alive, were you can have 5 boob jiggle settings.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is not like we are talking about Dead or Alive, were you can have 5 boob jiggle settings.

I wasn't sure if you were serious so I checked it out and it's true. :eek:

It may not seem like much to people but it's the accumulation of decisions like this, their online infrastructure, voice chat, their hardware, etc that are driving people away. If you treat gamers in their 20's and 30's like that, there are consoles out there where they're not treated like kids. I've been a Nintendo gamer for around 30 years but I'm growing weary of some of their practises. They haven't really moved with the gamers of the NES generation.

It seems that it may be because she's 13.
    Whilst it is the legal age of Consent in Japan, it's not it the rest of the World.

You can still use the boob slider and wear skimpy clothes on the other female characters. It won't effect the gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Allyall wrote: »
    Whilst it is the legal age of Consent in Japan, it's not it the rest of the World.

You can still use the boob slider and wear skimpy clothes on the other female characters. It won't effect the gameplay.

From Wikipedia

The Japanese Penal Code sets a minimal age of consent of 13. However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" (淫行条例) that forbid "fornication" (淫行) with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).

The age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys, with parental consent, or 20 otherwise.

Not quite the same as a pedo free for all in Japan, as suggested by 13 years of age.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not quite the same as a pedo free for all in Japan, as suggested by 13 years of age.
    :D

I was just surmising :).

Allyall wrote: »

It's been completely removed. All created female characters in the game have the same size bust. Makes sense as it matches all females in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Anyone who wants to use a boob slider is a creep/paedo.

Anyone who wants to remove a boob slider is a nanny state apologist/feminazi/"marxist".

He says the 13 thing too :D

But it turns out, she is 15 in Europe.. :o (So it's incorrect regardless).

• Advertisement

It's been completely removed. All created female characters in the game have the same size bust. Makes sense as it matches all females in the real world.

It might make sense to you and others, but a lot of Otakus are very angry about this.

Recent decisions like this don't give me confidence about the NX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, there are Nerd RAGE!! merchants who do little else than blog ad nauseum about this kind of crap, from not enough copies of Senran Kagura Burst to Gal.Gun not being released in the west.
    It's bull.
    Different territories have different cultural issues, one of these is the treatment of overt sexualisation or, mite precisely, handing that power over to the consumer.
    As long as it rests with the artist it's fine, Dragon's Crown for example, but not in a game that is rated 12s here and in the rest of the EU, as Xenoblade is here.
    In Japan the game is rated Cero C, which is the equivalent of 15s, which might explain the features removal.

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-8Q8SyfNQ

If Kallie Plagge gives this game a 5.0 then you know it's really bad because she loves the Animal Crossing franchise.

Even more damning from NintendoEnthusiast.
    Overall, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is an embarrassment of a game. I was already disappointed with Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, the other AC spin-off title that released this fall, but Amiibo Festival far overshoots its predecessor in terrible design and gameplay. The only reason to even look at this game on a store shelf would be for the amiibo inside. But then, I would implore you to import the amiibo rather than give Nintendo money for this terribly made title. Nintendo fans need to speak with their wallet, and I beg of them to make a statement that terrible cash-ins, such as Amiibo Festival, will not be tolerated.

Pros:
    • Looks pretty

Cons:
    • Boring in nearly every possible way
    • I can win by pressing the "a" button for 45 minutes straight
    • Makes my thumb sore because I had to press the "a" button for 45 minutes straight
    • Terrible use of amiibo
    • Terrible precedent for future Nintendo titles
    • Reminds me that I want an actual Animal Crossing title on Wii U

Final Score:  2.5 / 10

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/review/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-review-for-wii-u/

Was there ever any doubt that this game was going to be $h1t?

4 reviews up so far on Metacritic, all negative, with an average of 35%. Disgraceful!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival

There was never a doubt at how disappointed I was going to be with a lack of a proper AC installment for the WiiU.

Yeah, I'd never any kind of hopes for that 'game'. Looks like a dumbed down Mario Party, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Disgraceful!

Nintendo made a bad game - isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Simple solution: Don't buy it. Honestly being disgraced is a really extreme reaction. Nintendo clearly churned out amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis on short production cycles to fill the gap in the market that delaying Zelda U left. Otherwise they would have had to explain to their shareholders why they basically sat out the time of the year that sales are highest. It's the same with Twilight Princess HD - that game wouldn't exist if Zelda U didn't get delayed. As I said in another thread, they can't just magic new big games out of thin air when a lot of their resources are still being focused on the likes of Zelda and Star Fox - games that they put artistic integrity ahead of pure commercial incentive for.

They made a compromise. A compromise that is an awful lot better than the alternative - that being rushing the new Zelda to market before it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So you're saying that Animal Crossing took a bullet for Zelda U?
    And that we have to show our support for the Franchise by buying the 2 ****e games so the shareholders don't get spooked, otherwise AC died for nothing?
    I'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So you're saying that Animal Crossing took a bullet for Zelda U?

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_filename_640.png

• Advertisement

Nintendo made a bad game - isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Simple solution: Don't buy it. Honestly being disgraced is a really extreme reaction. Nintendo clearly churned out amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis on short production cycles to fill the gap in the market that delaying Zelda U left. Otherwise they would have had to explain to their shareholders why they basically sat out the time of the year that sales are highest. It's the same with Twilight Princess HD - that game wouldn't exist if Zelda U didn't get delayed. As I said in another thread, they can't just magic new big games out of thin air when a lot of their resources are still being focused on the likes of Zelda and Star Fox - games that they put artistic integrity ahead of pure commercial incentive for.

They made a compromise. A compromise that is an awful lot better than the alternative - that being rushing the new Zelda to market before it's finished.

That's NOT the only alternative. Just because Zelda and Star Fox were delayed doesn't mean they should put out rushed, lazy games like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash in their stead. Where's their integrity when unsuspecting parents buy these pieces of crap for their children this Christmas? Where's their integrity in charging €60 for these like they're proper full games? Whatever about Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival having 2 amiibo and 3 cards, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash has no excuse. It should at least have had a lower price like Splatoon, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and other games had.

They could try something with their VC. Only yesterday I was wondering if Metroid: Zero Mission will ever release. There's a tonne of games missing there. Run a promotion, 3 for the price of 2.

Nintendo have only themselves to blame for games being delayed. They should get their house in order. Zelda's delay I'm sure is tied into the release of NX. And has there ever been a Zelda game that wasn't delayed? Star Fox Zero when it announced for release this year, people said including myself that it was being rushed. You don't go from Miyamoto at E3 saying they were looking for a developer for the game to a year and a half later having a complete title. It looked awful at E3 gone, it looked better in the latest Direct but I remain to be convinced. Another and the main reason why things are so bad is because they've a lot of their teams working on NX instead. They've given up on Wii U but it's a real nice way to support those of us that did buy it. 3 years into a life cycle, never have things been so bad on a Nintendo console.

"Simple solution: Don't buy it. Honestly being disgraced is a really extreme reaction." It's not an extreme reaction. Those games are disgraceful. And to say don't buy them is a solution. It's not a solution, it's an option but it doesn't fix anything.

Advertisement