Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have the feeling at some piont in early 2015 NIntendo relaised the Wii U was a failure and most of the effort in game development was to put into NX games any great game game that was near finished was for WIi U and anything else would be delayed for NX and just threw some filler stuff together for the Wii U.

I am expecting the first year of NX to be pretty great but if Nintendo mess up again they are in danger of alienating their loyal fans like me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone seen a physical copy of Wii Sports Club anywhere recently?

Had a play of the original Wii Sports again recently and I now want the new version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Next up on the chopping block is Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.
    The Verdict

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is as stripped-down a Nintendo sports game as I’ve ever played. The absence of modes, unimpressive unlockables, and tiring hook offer very little reason to keep playing. Sure, it’s pretty, but that’s about all it has going for it.

BAD
    Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is a bare-bones, lackluster addition to Mario's sporting adventures.

+Pretty and colorful

-Lack of modes
    -Dumb A.I.
    -Useless hook
    -Nothing new

4.8 / 10

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/11/18/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Had a play of the original Wii Sports again recently and I now want the new version!

Not Wii Sports Resort is it? Argos have that ;
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1024652/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CNintendo+Wii%7C14419743/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419743%7CNintendo+Wii+games%7C14419762.htm

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bother with Wii Sports Club. It's a barebones reskinned Wii Sports that was handed out to Namco to rush through. The online isn't great and there's very few people on there at any time. Have you played Wii Sports Resort? It's much better, greatly expanded upon the original(I enjoyed archery the most) and far cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Tbf, who was actually planning on buying Mario tennis on here?

No interested myself at all. Just a filler for Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm gonna use my xmas hols to try and get through my WiiU backlog!(although might leave a couple til next year seeing as the future is so bleak :pac: )

Need to finish ZombiU and then start Wind Waker.

What are the best games that work on the WiiU gamepad solely? I just noticed my bed is within range of the WiiU in the new abode.....could be very useful! I played SM3DW a lot solely on it, and also noticed the Snes games work on it independently (Super Metroid, Zelda).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Tbf, who was actually planning on buying Mario tennis on here?

No interested myself at all. Just a filler for Xmas.

I have an unhealthy of getting mario games even ones that I don't play so yeah I'll be getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What are the best games that work on the WiiU gamepad solely? I just noticed my bed is within range of the WiiU in the new abode.....could be very useful! I played SM3DW a lot solely on it, and also noticed the Snes games work on it independently (Super Metroid, Zelda).

Pikmin 3!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Wind Waker plays beautifully on the gamepad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sligeach
    Honestly, getting this upset about Nintendo's sports efforts for the WiiU is like getting upset with Nissan over the reintroduction of the Pulsar, it is always going to be a unadventurous retread of what went before, you were never going to buy one, so why worry?
    There is nothing to be gained with losing your sh1t and become so despondent and upset about Starfox either.
    I mean, no one has played it for starters, and it was never going to be a major revolution anyhow, especially when past entries into the franchise are taken into account, it's an on-rails shooter, with free flight sections, that's it, it's fun, it's lightweight and it's never going to be the scifi game that can compete with No Man's Sky or Mass Effect 2 for that matter.
    At this point in the WiiU's life, we can look forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X for sure, now that looks like a Mass Effect beater through and through, and these are the kinds of titles we should be thankful for.
    The best suggestion, either enjoy what great titles we have, pick up a 3DS already and play the wonderous Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, or buy a cheap as chips preowned PS3, and let that lot tide you over until the NX next year.

Oh, and golf in Wii Sports Club is brilliant, it's a great pity they didn't just make a full game of it and release that, the rest of the package is the reskin you suggest but the golf game and it's use of the touchpad is brilliant.

Keep an eye on the eShop next week. I think there'll be big reductions in time for Black Friday. And then on Christmas Eve(Thursday 24th December) there should be a massive sale.

That's a suggestion for those let down with the recent Wii U releases besides the upcoming XCX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sligeach
    Honestly, getting this upset about Nintendo's sports efforts for the WiiU is like getting upset with Nissan over the reintroduction of the Pulsar, it is always going to be a unadventurous retread of what went before, you were never going to buy one, so why worry?
    There is nothing to be gained with losing your sh1t and become so despondent and upset about Starfox either.
    I mean, no one has played it for starters, and it was never going to be a major revolution anyhow, especially when past entries into the franchise are taken into account, it's an on-rails shooter, with free flight sections, that's it, it's fun, it's lightweight and it's never going to be the scifi game that can compete with No Man's Sky or Mass Effect 2 for that matter.
    At this point in the WiiU's life, we can look forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X for sure, now that looks like a Mass Effect beater through and through, and these are the kinds of titles we should be thankful for.
    The best suggestion, either enjoy what great titles we have, pick up a 3DS already and play the wonderous Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, or buy a cheap as chips preowned PS3, and let that lot tide you over until the NX next year.

Oh, and golf in Wii Sports Club is brilliant, it's a great pity they didn't just make a full game of it and release that, the rest of the package is the reskin you suggest but the golf game and it's use of the touchpad is brilliant.

How cheap as chips are we talking for a PS3?

What would yis reckon would be the best, say, 5 games for a feller whose favourite games are Zelda and Resi? That Last Of Us is good, right?

(I know it's the WiiU thread, but I don't like going outside the Nintendo forum! I know I can trust the dudes in here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ol' Donie wrote: »

What would yis reckon would be the best, say, 5 games for a feller whose favourite games are Zelda and Resi? That Last Of Us is good, right?

(I know it's the WiiU thread, but I don't like going outside the Nintendo forum! I know I can trust the dudes in here.)

PS3 has so many good games at cheap prices right now, its silly. There's like, 4 resident evil games for you!

Not that surprising Mario Tennis is reviewing badly, but hey ho, it'll go cheaper faster, pick it up cheap after christmas!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last of Us, Read Dead Redemption, the ICO/SotC HD remaster, Puppeteer, Bloodborne, even really cheap stuff like Condemned, FEAR 2 and the Bioshock games.
    The console can be gotten, on Adverts, probably for around €100 with some haggling, probably get a game or two with that.
    Honestly, it's some of the best value out there, I love my PS3, and it'll tide you over, along with the excellent Nintendo Wii and WiiU libraries, until the NX is out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

PS3/XBOX360/Wii games are €1 in SVDP shops When available.

I forgot this was coming out http://fast.shinen.com/neo/.
    It's due out next month. Will it be getting a physical release like Shovel Knight and Teslagrad etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Is Bloodborne on PS3 too? I was waiting for the game of the year edition that's coming for ps4 next week. Oops is this not the PlayStation thread? Haha. Poor Wii U, getting upstaged again. :pac:

Allyall wrote: »
    I forgot this was coming out http://fast.shinen.com/neo/.
    It's due out next month. Will it be getting a physical release like Shovel Knight and Teslagrad etc.?

No. Nintendo could have stepped in and helped them publish it physically. It would have bought them some good publicity amongst the general public and indie community. It does look very nice. I hope it delivers on its potential and promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Darksiders 1 and 2 are a decent zelda clone and Evil Within is a decent RE4 pastiche.

• Advertisement

Is Bloodborne on PS3 too? I was waiting for the game of the year edition that's coming for ps4 next week. Oops is this not the PlayStation thread? Haha. Poor Wii U, getting upstaged again. :pac:

Oh, my bad!
    No Bloodborne for the PS3!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

I noticed a copy in the new CEX on George's St. this evening. They were selling it for €30, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sweetie wrote: »
    Darksiders 1 and 2 are a decent zelda clone and Evil Within is a decent RE4 pastiche.

Darksiders on WiiU?

Worth a go, eh?

Darksiders on WiiU?

Worth a go, eh?

I was going to say but I thought you'd already know. Yes, definitely worth a go. It's a terrific game, much under appreciated and one of Wii U's lesser known gems. Try CEX now and again. They've it for €8, much cheaper than Ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you want a new zelda game for the wii U , Darksiders 2 is it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Mario Tennis on Wii U looks like a total bloody flop, shame I've been looking for (1st party type) games to pick up for the missus for Christmas.

Don't know why they are doing this to their normally fun couch co-op games (same as with Mario Party), I miss my games having a depth and longevity to keep us coming back for more.

Well at least Mario Kart 8 is still class and I heard good things about Mario Golf

Is Minecraft Story Mode cancelled on the Wii U or not?
    An advert just came on the telly, and had the Wii U logo on it. :confused:

Allyall wrote: »
    Is Minecraft Story Mode cancelled on the Wii U or not?
    An advert just came on the telly, and had the Wii U logo on it. :confused:

No that's not cancelled, the spin-off is still coming. You may be confusing it with the rumour that the main game was coming to the Wii U thanks to the PEGI listing which was later removed. Was it wrong? Seems strange that PEGI would make that mistake. Perhaps it leaked too early.

sligeach wrote: »
    No that's not cancelled, the spin-off is still coming. You may be confusing it with the rumour that the main game was coming to the Wii U thanks to the PEGI listing which was later removed. Was it wrong? Seems strange that PEGI would make that mistake. Perhaps it leaked too early.

I don't know what I was reading. So many rumours and cancellations on the Wii U.
    I thought I read the other day somewhere that Minecraft Story Mode was no longer coming to the Wii U... Obviously not.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    If you want a new zelda game for the wii U , Darksiders 2 is it :D

Just to throw the pussy cat amongst the feathered raptors,
    Okami on the Wii is a gorgeous game, playable on the WiiU and is a damn fine Zelda type game.
    Did I mention it was gorgeous?

Advertisement