Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's ok, nobody's perfect. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I like Wipeout better than FZero.
    I'll just throw that out there....

You sir, are a heathen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I like Wipeout better than FZero.
    I'll just throw that out there....

Controversial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And Golden Axe and Streets of Rage suck, but then they were on the Megadrive so you Nintendo playa's probably don't know what they are, consider it a lucky escape....

And Golden Axe and Streets of Rage suck, but then they were on the Megadrive so you Nintendo playa's probably don't know what they are, consider it a lucky escape....

In terms of simple gameplay and pure co op fun myself and my friends and siblings played a huge amount of both of those games.

Golden axe on the Amstrad (yes I'm old) and streets of rage on the mega drive.

I can't help but love both on nostalgia alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

In terms of simple gameplay and pure co op fun myself and my friends and siblings played a huge amount of both of those games.

I can't help but love both on nostalgia alone.

Golden Axe in the arcades was a bit of fun alright, not sure I had any home version. Never had an MD in the house growing up so the closest to Streets of Rage we had was Double Dragon and Target Renegade on C64 and then Final Fight on the Snes ofcourse. Great fun back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Cpc464 by any chance? Been that soldier :D

Amstrad.. posh git!
    The cool kids, with no money, had Spectrums!
    I remember the likes of Gauntlet, Tau Ceti, Dynamite Dan 2, RType and Quazatron on it, bliss!
    oh, and this turd was on it

'Twas a 6128 plus actually. I know la de da for me with my no loading of tapes.

A friend of mine at the time had an Amiga which was another level up!

Simpler times eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Golden Axe is a classic, never mind applejuiceman. Had it on pc myself, but the arcade version was where it was at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

They were very basic side scrollers.

Streets of Rage 2 was an amazing game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They were very basic side scrollers.

Streets of Rage 2 was an amazing game though.

Just ignore him, we put up with this nonsense from him in Arcade & Retro all the time :p

Myrddin wrote: »
    Just ignore him, we put up with this nonsense from him in Arcade & Retro all the time :p

Gurble Burble, ecky thump, Baa!!!
    Quack!
    Slacks on Danish Pastries, filled with otters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gurble Burble, ecky thump, Baa!!!
    Quack!
    Slacks on Danish Pastries, filled with otters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I loved Streets of Rage 2. "Monkeyee ee ee ee".

I was a SNES gamer but I vegged on this game among others on a friends Mega Drive when we were young. It was roughly a 50/50 split on SNES/Mega Drive ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I loved Streets of Rage 2, what would be the modern equivalent? 2 player, 3D world would be cool, strolling around, kicking lumps of people.

Anything by Vanillaware, and many of those are still available, Dragons Crown is outstanding and on the Vita and PS3, Muramasa is on the Wii and Vita and Odin Sphere is coming back to the PS4/3 and Vita next year, previously dazzling on the PS2, I have those three games and they really are modern takes on the scrolling brawler but add tons to the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I loved Streets of Rage 2, what would be the modern equivalent? 2 player, 3D world would be cool, strolling around, kicking lumps of people.

SOR2 got a 3DS eshop port that's meant to be very good (they added new modes) and the "Walking backwards and forwards towards the camera" mechanic looks very well in 3D. I'm going to pick it up as soon as it goes on sale, or in the New Year if it doesn't.

Not necessarily modern, but I think probably the BEST 2D scrolling beat em up I've ever played is Battle Circuit, made by Capcom and only released in arcades. I don't know of a legitimate way to play it outside of arcade emulation.

All the playable characters have different fortes where they're better (Ranged attacks, up close, jumping attacks, grappling), and their special moves are done Street Fighter input style (so you spin the stick 360 to the grappler character's strongest attack). This lets you do a lot more attacks with fewer buttons, and locks the strongest attacks behind a skill barrier. I think this is better in this genre of game, rather than something like Golden Axe/Captain Commando where the best attack with every character is always: "Double tap to run -> Jump -> Attack", and you can just infinitely spam it without error is you want.

Also between stages you can spend money collected to purchase new attacks (not level your stats, but buy new Street Fighter special moves).

There's a finite amount of money per stage, and the better attacks are more expensive, so you're never going to get them all in one run, so multiple playthroughs can be fun to try going with different sets of moves.

Also to top it all off, it's 4 player, if you can get that many people crowded around a PC.

Amazing game. Still the best Streets of Rage-like game I've played to this day. Shame it's not better known.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo of America’s Senior Manager of Licensing and Marketing Damon Baker made a live appearance during the 6th annual Nintendo World Report live podcast telecast. During this he teased a big announcement by saying the following.

“Speaking of announcements, I wish I could tell you guys, but stay tuned for Monday. Monday there’s going to be something… something happening on Monday. It’s going to be big.”

The rumour is it may be a Smash announcement as there is one due, but who knows.

Anything by Vanillaware, and many of those are still available, Dragons Crown is outstanding and on the Vita and PS3, Muramasa is on the Wii and Vita and Odin Sphere is coming back to the PS4/3 and Vita next year, previously dazzling on the PS2, I have those three games and they really are modern takes on the scrolling brawler but add tons to the formula.

Muramasa I just couldn't get into personally. Too much back and forth looking where to go just annoyed me.

I found dragons crown a bit better but again lost interest after a while.

Not saying either were bad but personally I enjoyed the 2D side scrolling of streets of rage and golden axe as they were simple and fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Was reading that this morning. It's probably Smash Bros. news. But maybe just maybe they'll finally start releasing Gamecube games on the eShop. European eShop press releases are announced on Monday mornings. I don't expect anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Minecraft for Wii U due on December 17th. 6 free add-on packs included:

Battle & Beasts Skin Pack
    Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack
    Natural Texture Pack
    City Texture Pack
    Fantasy Texture Pack
    Festive Mash-up Pack

Loads more (paid) on the way.

€29.99 (ouch).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/minecraft_finally_digs_its_way_onto_the_wii_u_eshop_on_17th_december

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mr E wrote: »
    Minecraft for Wii U due on December 17th. 6 free add-on packs included:

Battle & Beasts Skin Pack
    Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack
    Natural Texture Pack
    City Texture Pack
    Fantasy Texture Pack
    Festive Mash-up Pack

Loads more (paid) on the way.

€29.99 (ouch).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/minecraft_finally_digs_its_way_onto_the_wii_u_eshop_on_17th_december
    I would have bought this for my daughter but not at that price!

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Minecraft announced for Dec. 17th on eshop.

Probably 30 euro.

That's old news man see above:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

iamtony wrote: »
    That's old news man see above:-)

What ever do you mean :pac:

I wonder was this the big announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

iamtony wrote: »
    I wonder was this the big announcement?
    Apparently it was..

Barely squeaked out. There isn't even any preview videos I can see :D.

Hopefully not. I like Minecraft, but at that price it's a big nope from me, unless it's a physical copy. Even then I think it's too high.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That is a ****ing crazy pricetag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

That couldn't be the "big" announcement. Could it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Allyall wrote: »
    That couldn't be the "big" announcement. Could it?

I bet it is

Advertisement