Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lego City Undercover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'd say Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Super Smash Brothers for Wii U are the core essential Wii U games in terms of getting legs out of the system. You can get tonnes of play out of all four. Branching out from there there's (in particular) Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Wind Waker HD - which are all wonderful, gorgeous games in their own right.

And if you want even more check out Nintendoland, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Wonderful 101, New Super Mario (and Super Luigi) Brothers U, Lego City Undercover, Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush, and Hyrule Warriors.

The Wii U really has been a great system, hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Wii U really has been a great system, hasn't it?

Still is, you cheeky pup. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Xofpod wrote: »
    Apologies if this is covered waaay back in the thread - got a Wii U a couple of months ago and really only starting to use it now. Mainly picking up and playing games that I missed on the Wii (Skyward Sword, Galaxy 2) but I'm wondering what people rate as must-play Wii U games?

These are all well worth getting.
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    • Rayman Legends
    • Bayonetta 2
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
    • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Shovel Knight
    • Pikmin 3
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    • Bayonetta
    • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
    • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    • Darksiders II
    • Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
    • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    • Trine 2: Directors Cut
    • Child Of Light
    • Toki Tori 2
    • The Wonderful 101
    • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    • Splatoon
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    • Hyrule Warriors
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • Lego City Undercover
    • Nintendo Land
    • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
    • Splinter Cell: Black List
    • Injustice: Gods Among Us
    • Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2
    • Watch Dogs
    • New Super Mario Bros. U
    • Call Of Duty: Ghosts
    • Trine: Enchanted Edition
    • New Super Luigi U
    • Kirby and The Rainbow Paintbrush
    • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    • Resident Evil: Revelations
    • Batman: Arkham Origins
    • Scribblenauts Unlimited
    • Stealth Inc. 2
    • Art Academy Atelier
    • Fast Racing NEO
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

sligeach wrote: »
    These are all well worth getting.

There has to be some Irony when Sligeach has the biggest list.. :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm not against getting xenoblade like, but I didn't like the 3DS one and its kinda expensive to spend 60 quid on a game I might like.

Allyall wrote: »
    There has to be some Irony when Sligeach has the biggest list..

Not really. Of that list, I own them all except Art Academy Atelier and Fast Racing Neo(I will get them eventually). And I own plenty more besides like Kirby and The Rainbow Paintbrush and Wii Fit U.

I don't own thrash however, like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival. There are a few mediocre games I don't own either and don't really care to, like Wii Sports Club, Mario Party 10 and Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars.

They may be favourite company and only hardware manufacturer that I buy but that doesn't prevent me from being objective and criticising them when they rightly deserve it.

@Xofpod There are more great VC and indie games worth getting too.

Mr E wrote: »
    Still is, you cheeky pup. :D

There will still a least be Star Fox, Zelda, Pokken and Twilight Princess to place somewhere into those tiers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm not against getting xenoblade like, but I didn't like the 3DS one and its kinda expensive to spend 60 quid on a game I might like.

Exact same, although I didn't play the previous game on any format yet. Not sure if it's my type of game even though it would look great on the shelf!:o

Can't even wait until it drops to €30 like other console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Exact same, although I didn't play the previous game on any format yet. Not sure if it's my type of game even though it would look great on the shelf!:o

Can't even wait until it drops to €30 like other console games.

Highly unlikely, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly I cant wait for Christmas to roll on, I love playing the Wii U with my friends and family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I have played FAST Racing NEO and it was good..

Had one go of the online but my crap connection meant a bit of stuttering but the one player is gorgeous, fast, tough and most importantly fun!

I hope we get the extra content from Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS on the Wii U version as DLC. There's quite a bit including 5 new characters(Linkle, Toon Link, Tetra, Skull Kid and the King of Hyrule), the My Fairy system, the Great Sea Adventure Mode map and whatever extras there are. It would renew interest in the game and I can't see it being very hard to do.

Hyrule Warriors Legends - 5-Minute Trailer (Japanese)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOp_JjYWBZ4

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd read somewhere (or heard in one of the videos, I don't really remember) that the characters will unlock in the Wii U version for owners of the 3DS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Star Lord wrote: »
    I'd read somewhere (or heard in one of the videos, I don't really remember) that the characters will unlock in the Wii U version for owners of the 3DS version.

I get why, but, I only want the WiiU version not the 3ds also. So yeah I hope they release a DLC pack next year with all these extras for like €10 or €20. Obviously well after the 3ds versions release. Like in the summer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Honestly I cant wait for Christmas to roll on, I love playing the Wii U with my friends and family

I can't wait to play it WITHOUT any of 'em. :D

Somoene has put up the Zelda Wii U with Zelda downloaded and Yoshi's Wooly World (physical) on Adverts for €220 (Boxed etc.). I don't look there often, but that seem very cheap, and it could go for less depending on what's offered..
    Do they often go that cheap?
    I wiuld have thought the Zelda version especially, would have been more expensive. But I suppose it is only the controller..

Allyall wrote: »
    Somoene has put up the Zelda Wii U with Zelda downloaded and Yoshi's Wooly World (physical) on Adverts for €220 (Boxed etc.). I don't look there often, but that seem very cheap, and it could go for less depending on what's offered..
    Do they often go that cheap?
    I wiuld have thought the Zelda version especially, would have been more expensive. But I suppose it is only the controller..

I seen that ad and I always think back to when I bought that bundle 2 years ago with MH3U for €70 less.

It doesn't strike me as a great deal. Recently I seen a fully boxed bundle go with 5 top quality games and a boxed Wii U Pro controller for €50 more. As it's Christmas people will spend that little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

smokingman wrote: »
    I have played FAST Racing NEO and it was good..

Had one go of the online but my crap connection meant a bit of stuttering but the one player is gorgeous, fast, tough and most importantly fun!

I have just hit purchase on this.

....and now it's downloaded! Woo hoo. Thoughts to follow

Ok so just played one track there.

Banging soundtrack.

Handling is interesting. Sort of in between wipeout and fzero. Has its own handling which imo is a good thing.

It is fast. Very fast. I like that.

Positive start on all fronts so far.

Oh oh and an ikaruga influence. Interesting.

Graphics are pretty darn stunning and not just for an indie.

Just won the first cup.

Will definitely get some use out of this one.

Highly recommend it.

..... One last thing I'd say after a little more time with it. It gets hard fast. Now I'm happy with that personally but the level of difficulty could put some off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There was a comment made by Microsoft that Rare Replay could be released on wii u if Rare wanted to, Would be nice especially if you slipped in Donkey Kong and/or Goldeneye

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-studios/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they were to do it, I'd say they may include the DK games but remove the 360 games like Viva Pinata and Perfect Dark Zero which I think weren't on the disk and instead downloaded.
    Think a Goldeneye inclusion isn't possible due to licensing issues.

That'd be great if it came to Wii U as I can't see myself buying an XboxOne whilst I own a Wii U and a PS4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That'd be great if it came to Wii U as I can't see myself buying an XboxOne whilst I own a Wii U and a PS4

I have a PS4 and WiiU, as well as another 50 odd consoles and handhelds, the Xbox One is incoming for Christmas.
    I also have the Rare collection, together with Halo 5 and the collection of HD Halo games waiting alongside it.

The Rare collection is superb, I can't wait to dip back into the Spectrum and N64 content.

A Nintendo edition, including Goldeneye would be stellar though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I dislike buying digital games as I prefer to have a disc in my hands and I know it would't happened but I would like a series of discs with all NES SNES etc games and Rare Reply is the best I'm probably going to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

McLoughlin wrote: »
    There was a comment made by Microsoft that Rare Replay could be released on wii u if Rare wanted to, Would be nice especially if you slipped in Donkey Kong and/or Goldeneye

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-studios/

Microsoft Studios*

They're a studio MS own.
    It'd be the same as someone tweeting at Sora to port Pokemon to X1, and Sora saying "Talk to PokemonCompany"

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

of interest to anyone? 30mins left for cover for wii u gamepad. and a free delivery with dpd offer?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009PHSRUE?ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_5347_c866848e&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Rumour: Nintendo Software Technology Working On Free-To-Play amiibo Game, Could Be Switching To Mobile In The Future

Big changes happening at Nintendo's US-based studio

Nintendo Software Technology - as we've reported in the past - has endured a troubled history of late. The studio responsible for Wave Race: Blue Storm and Mario vs. Donkey Kong was once a major player in Nintendo's network of internal studios, but the costly disaster that was Project H.A.M.M.E.R. resulted in a massive exodus of talent and NST being limited in terms of what projects it was allowed to handle.

The studio is now primarily a digital-only outfit - it's last release was Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars on the Wii U and 3DS eShops - and we've been giving information on its next venture, a free-to-play title for Wii U and 3DS which will use amiibo to unlock content.

According to our source - who is familiar with NST and the project - the game is apparently finished and expected to launch at the start of 2016 in North America. It will be free to download for any player who owns a compatible amiibo, but we've been told that this is part of a special promotional campaign, which means it could become a paid-for release after a period of time. To confuse matters, Nintendo of Europe is apparently keen to release it as an entirely free download later in the year.

In other news relating to NST, a recent job ad suggested that the studio was looking into developing smartphone games. We've since found out that the ad listing was posted somewhat ahead of time at the behest of Shigeki Yamashiro, NST's president. Yamashiro is, according to our source, exploring the possibility of turning NST into a totally mobile studio, although it is understood that no mobile games have actually entered production as of today - NCL has yet to give its blessing to the proposed shift.

We've also been told that NST's staff are less than happy with the idea - which is hardly surprising, when you consider that many of them will have signed up to work on Nintendo's own hardware, not smartphones. As of now, it would appear that the proposal is still just that, and no firm decision has been made on the future of NST.

We should stress that while we have the utmost confidence in our source, some of the above details may be subject to change and should be treated as rumour until official confirmation arrives from Nintendo itself.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/rumour_nintendo_software_technology_working_on_free-to-play_amiibo_game_could_be_switching_to_mobile_in_the_future

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a PS4 and WiiU, as well as another 50 odd consoles and handhelds, the Xbox One is incoming for Christmas.
    I also have the Rare collection, together with Halo 5 and the collection of HD Halo games waiting alongside it.

The Rare collection is superb, I can't wait to dip back into the Spectrum and N64 content.

A Nintendo edition, including Goldeneye would be stellar though

Ah I hear you but I'd realistically be buying it for the very few exclusives I've any interest in being halo (less so since 343 took over) , gears of war ( I can just replay any of the others as they all look and feel very similar) and now this rare replay which hopefully will come to Wii u.

I just can't justify the purchase I really can't. 90% of the games are on ps4 as well and in fairness I'm finding it impossible to keep up with the games I want to play on it never mind another console.

Free-to-play is the smartest approach for any amiibo game (which they really have to make). Let the cost of amiibo be the cost of entry.

• Advertisement

I just saw an advert for Wii U.. :D

It was for Just Dance 2016 in smyths, but it only mentioned the Wii U as the platform to play it on, and displayed the Wii U case in the ad..

:) I think that's the first Wii U advert I've seen. In Ireland anyway. :(

Advertisement