Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I can't help myself, I translate this

https://mojang.com/
    MOJANG wrote:
    Hello!
    We’ve just updated Minecraft for Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 with a staggering amount of features...
    ...this is actually our biggest update ever, bringing the console versions closer to the current PC build than they’ve ever been before...
    ..And, though we’re working hard to bring these features to Nintendo’s console, 1.8.8 won’t be available on Wii U until some time next year.

to:

"We will not be touching the Wii U version ever again, and we hope you will forget about it gradually.
    We will however be launching on the NX, where you can purchase it again."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Final Fantasy 6 Advance is being released on the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan. Hope that makes it over here.

Might cleanse the palate considering Square-Enix just released it on Steam to thunderous applause, only for everyone to realize it's just the fugly, much derided iOS remake ported to PC.

Been trying to hunt out a not unreasonably priced copy for the GBA since forever, but if it makes it makes its way to the PAL VC, I can finally rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't understand Square's fascination with fiddling with the visuals of old Nintendo console era Final Fantasy games. Those games have aged really well visually, especially 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Kinda tempted to get neo racer, is it worth the asking price? Not into racing games at all tbh, like playstation or Xbox ones.

Best €15 I've spent since forever.

Edit: Tried it tonight after a few jars though. What was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I don't understand Square's fascination with fiddling with the visuals of old Nintendo console era Final Fantasy games. Those games have aged really well visually, especially 6.

At a guess, and among other factors, it's so they can justifiably up the price of what would otherwise be a quick dump of a 20 year old ROM. Given ports to VC and whatnot don't tend to stray outside the 5 to 8ish quid mark and the minimum on the 'remake' is in the 13-to-18 quid territory, even with the launch sale taken into account. It might also explain as to why the new skins looks absolutely rancid, given they'd want to spend the least and charge the most.

The Steam feedback on the remake is slowly working its way down from 'positive' to 'mostly positive' and I'm sure it'll sink further as more owners come to terms with the remake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, looking at their work on the various remakes for the DS of the Dragon Quest series, they've done a great job preserving the old but bringing them up to a polished SNES level, improving things that need it but leaving much the hell alone.

Chronotrigger on the DS is another good port by the same company.
    I haven't played any of their FF conversions though.

In fact, as is, wouldn't FFVII have been fine to translate to the 3DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Santa bringing a Wii U to our house on Thursday night. Young fella is suspicious enough about the whole Santa thing so I don't think I would get away with setting it up and doing all the downloads over the next couple of days.
    How long am I looking at on Friday morning before it will be possible for him to play it. Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are both digital downloads. Have 50 mb broadband so I'm hoping that will help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Tweaky wrote: »
    Santa bringing a Wii U to our house on Thursday night. Young fella is suspicious enough about the whole Santa thing so I don't think I would get away with setting it up and doing all the downloads over the next couple of days.
    How long am I looking at on Friday morning before it will be possible for him to play it. Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are both digital downloads. Have 50 mb broadband so I'm hoping that will help. Thanks.

I'd say you're looking at at least a couple of hours at least. Could well be 3 or more. The servers on Christmas morning could be nightmarishly slow. Downloading on Wii U is painful. I always try and get it out of the way before I want to play something. I've the loading packs downloaded and ready for Xenoblade Chronicles X so no waiting about on Christmas Day.

Santa bringing a Wii U

Also worth mentioning that it's not always plain sailing connecting to the WiFi.

This is what worked for me.
    1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"
    2. Input your SSID
    3. Input the correct security type, this is key.
    4. Put your password in properly
    5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".
    6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig
    7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"
    8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.
    9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".
    10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8
    11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4
    12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy
    13. Leave mtu as the default
    14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10

If you have a physical game, you may want to let him play that while the others are downloading, or download a smaller Demo from the eShop, there are plenty in there that they can play while the other games are being downloaded.

Alternatively some cheap physical games easy enough to get, to keep him busy until they have downloaded.

http://checkargos.com/product/9128213
    http://checkargos.com/product/2446277
    http://checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=130840

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I did this like a spy for my sister last week (covert briefcase with a Wii U dropped at my mother's, picked up at different times, disposable phones etc), and it took three and a half hours.

Keep in mind this was JUST to patch the Wii U's Operating system and patch the disc copy Smash Bros 4 up to date with DLC and stuff; and I did this at a friend's with internet faster than yours and at a time when Nintendo servers were under no strain.

Both of your games need to be downloaded in full AND patched, and you're going to be doing it on literally the busiest server day of the year.

At best I'd say five hours, at worst the servers go down and you're still waiting on Stephen's Day.

I don't want to unduly alarm you, but you should be aware of the risk you're taking by waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Really appreciate all the input guys - was expecting the scenarios you called out but just needed to confirm.Just realised that Mario Kart 8 is preinstalled and have one physical game already and have some wii games that we can use. We are off to the in laws for dinner so will probably leave Splatoon downloading for the day and hope for the best. Looking forward to playing it now myself after reading back through this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good plan, Tweaky. Enjoy!

I was in Smyths today and saw a Wii U on display. I had a look at it and saw it was loaded up with tons of games, there's no way to change the menu for us, is there?
    Without hacking it. So it looks like this:
    bxDNXmU.jpg?1

I probably had noticed the display before, but forgot, because I played one day with my Nephew for around 20 minutes.

I also bought The Last Story in Gamestop for €19.99. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Allyall wrote: »
    I was in Smyths today and saw a Wii U on display. I had a look at it and saw it was loaded up with tons of games, there's no way to change the menu for us, is there?
    Without hacking it. So it looks like this:
    bxDNXmU.jpg?1

I also bought The Last Story in Gamestop for €19.99.

Well most of them are demos/trailer, more trailers then demos. I assume its a specific demo unit or something they give out to shops.

Well most of them are demos/trailer, more trailers then demos. I assume its a specific demo unit or something they give out to shops.

Yeah, someone bought one here - http://imgur.com/a/DrUq3

You can see the back of it etc..

I do like that menu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

I just got a WII U and got mario kart and smash bros. Any other good games I should get? I was thinking about super mario maker but I can't decide since I only want to buy 1 more game at the moment.

I just got a WII U and got mario kart and smash bros. Any other good games I should get? I was thinking about super mario maker but I can't decide since I only want to buy 1 more game at the moment.

Yes you can't go wrong with Super Mario Maker. You'll get miles out of it, it's real great fun.

Argos is the best place on price in Irish bricks & mortar shops. It's €50 with the artbook.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/14551/partNumber/4129341.htm

Or €70 for the artbook and amiibo bundle.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/14551/partNumber/4368119.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Picked up Mass Effect for €4.99 in Gamestop the other day (anyone else always find themselves hovering round the Nintendo section when they should be doing shopping for other people's presents?).

Anyway, saw it in HMV in Dundrum for €54.99 yesterday.

Just saying.

I don't go near HMV anymore really. They don't sell any of the newer games and they haven't done for at least 2 years I think. All they have are games from around launch time at extortionate prices. What was the last new release anybody has seen them sell? I know a couple of months ago they were still selling nunchuks for €45. That's all you need to see to know, get out of the shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Merry Christmas, WiiUnians! Or the buggest of hums to you if you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy Christmas everyone. Hope you get loads pressies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Banjo wrote: »
    WiiUnians!

When this thread reaches 10k posts, it's successor has to have that in the title! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Happy Christmas folks.... Hope Santa got you lots of Nintendo goodies.

I was just thinking last night, imagine if Nintendo had a 48 hour sale on all virtual console games starting on Christmas day? 50% off or something like that. They'd make a fortune....

I thought WiiUtopians sounds better. Very disappointing that it's Christmas Day and Nintendo haven't done a tap. There's not a single Nintendo game on offer. Merry Christmas everyone! I hope ye all have a nice time.

If for no other reason than to outshine the bah humbuggery.. (But also to wish you all... :) )

sm4.png
    super_mario_christmas_wallpaper_by_1kamz-d5mhg1i.jpg
    super_mario_christmas_by_1kamz-d880c2z.jpg
    74675_492108383389_1250019_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Merry Toadmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, can you play FIFA 13 online, yeah?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads, can you play FIFA 13 online, yeah?

Thanks

You sure can, not always the easiest to find a game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I just want a discount on harmoknight. I've been waiting to buy it since it came out, but I ain't paying 15 notes for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Got wii u for 7yo son for christmas, Are they wifi only? Can't get connected to internet to download splatoon game with the code that came with purchase.I'm getting a good wireless signal on my phone when i'm standing next to Wii, Would one of those Wii lan yokes be any addition in this situation?
    Thanks.

Advertisement