Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got Mario Maker from the gf:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Happy Christmas to all. I only got back into Nintendo in January so my apologies if I asked any daft questions over the course of the year. Never realised how much I missed Nintendo games, my Xbox One comes a distant second after my Wii U. There's a great sense of community in here with a genuine love of proper games. Here's to Nintendo hopefully having a great future. Cheers!

Triboro wrote: »
    Got wii u for 7yo son for christmas, Are they wifi only? Can't get connected to internet to download splatoon game with the code that came with purchase.I'm getting a good wireless signal on my phone when i'm standing next to Wii, Would one of those Wii lan yokes be any addition in this situation?
    Thanks.

Mine took a while to get sorted but once I'd the modem near the console it recognised it and downloaded everything in decent time. It was just the initial recognition that took a while for me but after that all was good so try moving the modem beside the console to kick start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Mine took a while to get sorted but once I'd the modem near the console it recognised it and downloaded everything in decent time. It was just the initial recognition that took a while for me but after that all was good so try moving the modem beside the console to kick start it.

Problem there unfortunately,console is in upstairs bedroom and modem is downstairs in sitting room, have one of those signal extenders plugged in upstairs which pulls signal up for phones etc,cant get console to pick up tho!

Problem there unfortunately,console is in upstairs bedroom and modem is downstairs in sitting room, have one of those signal extenders plugged in upstairs which pulls signal up for phones etc,cant get console to pick up tho!

Yeah I'd that problem. Like I said, unfortunately you'll have to move things about. It's worth it of course but definitely a nuisance.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd that problem. Like I said, unfortunately you'll have to move things about. It's worth it of course but definitely a nuisance.

Will try a bit of switch about so,thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Will try a bit of switch about so,thanks.

If you have UPC, try turning off the firewall by logging into the router and turning it off. There seems to be some difficulty with Ninty products and UPC routers, I can't buy anything on the 3DS eShop without turning off the firewall, and I had similar problems with my Wii U using wifi

Myrddin wrote: »
    If you have UPC, try turning off the firewall by logging into the router and turning it off. There seems to be some difficulty with Ninty products and UPC routers, I can't buy anything on the 3DS eShop without turning off the firewall, and I had similar problems with my Wii U using wifi

Tis actually an Eircom modem but I might have a look to see can it be done on that one too! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got Mario Maker from the gf:)

Played it for a bit this morning, it's awesome and just a whole lot of fun to play, there isn't a game on any other platform that can match this in terms of nostalgia and old school gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Got wii u for 7yo son for christmas, Are they wifi only? Can't get connected to internet to download splatoon game with the code that came with purchase.I'm getting a good wireless signal on my phone when i'm standing next to Wii, Would one of those Wii lan yokes be any addition in this situation?
    Thanks.

Try this
    1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"
    2. Input your SSID
    3. Input the correct security type, this is key.
    4. Put your password in properly
    5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".
    6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig
    7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"
    8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.
    9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".
    10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8
    11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4
    12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy
    13. Leave mtu as the default
    14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

wee lad got one of santa,only problem is the gamepad cant be use far away from wii u,but a great system only for that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aldarjes

My son got a Wii u for Christmas. When he trys to play it says system update is required. The update starts but half way through it crashes and gives an error that the connection with the wii u console has been lost. We have other consoles in the house and have never had any wifi problems. Any help?

Aldarjes wrote: »
    My son got a Wii u for Christmas. When he trys to play it says system update is required. The update starts but half way through it crashes and gives an error that the connection with the wii u console has been lost. We have other consoles in the house and have never had any wifi problems. Any help?

I'd the same issue a few years ago. I solved it by disabling the firewall of my router while doing the update.

I'd the same issue a few years ago. I solved it by disabling the firewall of my router while doing the update.

Thanks for that suggestion, tried it but crashed again. I'm going to bring the console to another house and check using a different wifi. My other thought is to borrow a different gamepad to see if that will work. Any other suggestions anyone has would be great, it was his only Christmas present so he's upset.

Thanks for that suggestion, tried it but crashed again. I'm going to bring the console to another house and check using a different wifi. My other thought is to borrow a different gamepad to see if that will work. Any other suggestions anyone has would be great, it was his only Christmas present so he's upset.

Move the console right beside your modem to download the update. And don't worry, it'll resume the update as opposed to starting it again. Sorry to hear he was upset, hope this helps.

Move the console right beside your modem to download the update. And don't worry, it'll resume the update as opposed to starting it again. Sorry to hear he was upset, hope this helps.

I'll try that thanks. It also crashes when we're just looking at system settings etc. Says that connection between the gamepad and the console is unstable then shuts down.

I'll try that thanks. It also crashes when we're just looking at system settings etc. Says that connection between the gamepad and the console is unstable then shuts down.

Try re-synching the controller, red button on the console.

Sounds like there's a lot of interference, perhaps change the wifi channel in the router settings? I got so tired of the flaky wifi on the Wii U that I just ended up using this which I had for my Wii....farewell wifi hell & hello rock solid connection

31EYib9DtLL.jpg

Its a Wii Lan Adapter - if your console is are in the same room as your router or switch then pick one up & just use a cable. You can pick 3rd party ones up cheap enough, the proper ninty ones are a little pricier. Really worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sounds like there's a lot of interference, perhaps change the wifi channel in the router settings? I got so tired of the flaky wifi on the Wii U that I just ended up using this which I had for my Wii....farewell wifi hell & hello rock solid connection

31EYib9DtLL.jpg

Its a Wii Lan Adapter - if your console is are in the same room as your router or switch then pick one up & just use a cable. You can pick 3rd party ones up cheap enough, the proper ninty ones are a little pricier. Really worth it though

Setting up wifi on Wii U is a nightmare. Things are supposed to improve with each generation and yet it's worse than the Wii. I remember having to place my Wii U at one point on the floor in the middle of the room to get a reliable signal. I've done sorts of messing about with it. In the time I've owned a Wii U, I've gone from Eircom, to UPC andam now with Sky. I've used a powerline adapter in conjunction with the LAN adapter but didn't find it any better. Could be because it's old electric cables and I've an extension lead which isn't recommended. Haven't used the LAN cable in a good while, maybe Sky are better, I must try it out. The Wii U has really poor wifi reception. Other devices show full bars while the Wii U is generally only half and it's not very intuitive to set up.

Things are easier now than they were 3 years ago. Maybe the firmware updates solved a lot of the issues? Remember the initial firmware and how slow everything was? You'd think the consoles now would have the updated firmware on them but then again Wii U is hovering around 10 million units sold and that's nearly what they produced at the start so maybe not.

^^ I can't speak for your case, but the lan adapter instantly resolved my issues. Rock solid connection all of the time, doubt I'd ever go back to using wifi on the Wii U. Granted I don't use powerlines, I've a gigabit switch in the games room, wired with cat 5e direct from the router so connectivity isn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Do you have an Apple TV or something similar? Any other devices on WiFi?

There is also a known defect with some Wii U's connecting the Gamepad with the console.

Don't spend too much time trying to figure it out.
    If possible bring it back to where you bought it and replace it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I've just resorted to blowing into the back of the console to move the fan and it seems to have worked. I think the fan was jammed so the console was shutting down when it was overheating. We have a very happy boy here who can play at last. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I've just resorted to blowing into the back of the console to move the fan and it seems to have worked. I think the fan was jammed so the console was shutting down when it was overheating. We have a very happy boy here who can play at last. Thanks again!

Ah deadly. Enjoy mini Aldarjes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Minecraft U is already the 9th highest selling eShop game ever in Japan. And it's only been out for about a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My WiiU seems to be happy to connect to the internet, via a USB Lan adapter, for every game bar Splatoon, which has dumped me out of every online match for months now :(
    I still have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Hi lads. We have a Wii U in the house since Christmas, only issue we have is not enough HDMI input's on the telly. Is there a decent alternative way of rigging it up? Great machine, and this is a brilliant thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hi lads. We have a Wii U in the house since Christmas, only issue we have is not enough HDMI input's on the telly. Is there a decent alternative way of rigging it up? Great machine, and this is a brilliant thread!

You could use the old composite cable (the yellow/green/red one?
    Don't know if you can find them in shops though but if you had one for the wii, that also works.

You can use a HDMI splitter, which plugs into the HDMI port on your tv & splits it into several inputs. If you buy one, just make sure it is compatible with HDMI 1.3 (which is the type the Wii U uses)

hdmi-splitter-1x4-rear-new.jpg

smokingman wrote: »
    You could use the old composite cable (the yellow/green/red one?
    Don't know if you can find them in shops though but if you had one for the wii, that also works.

Have one of those for my wii alright, the quality pretty crap isn't it, thought that might be the only option, might just have to stick with swapping HDMI cables in and out. Thanks.

• Advertisement

You can use a HDMI splitter, which plugs into the HDMI port on your tv & splits it into several inputs. If you buy one, just make sure it is compatible with HDMI 1.3 (which is the type the Wii U uses)

Looks ideal, I'll have to order one of those, thought 4 HDMI ports would be plenty when I got my TV.

Advertisement