Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looks ideal, I'll have to order one of those, thought 4 HDMI ports would be plenty when I got my TV.

I've this one - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-PORT-1080p-HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Splitter-Hub-IR-Remote-Power-Cable-/331550214780?hash=item4d31eeca7c:g:xq8AAOSw7hRWPjn8

At the moment the Xbox One, PS4 & PC are hooked up. Fairly sure it should be ok with the Wii U if the others work. Cheap as chips & it auto selects for you which is nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've this one -

At the moment the Xbox One, PS4 & PC are hooked up. Fairly sure it should be ok with the Wii U if the others work. Cheap as chips & it auto selects for you which is nice :)

Job done, ordered that one, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi,

I haven't played my PS3 in about a year and don't really have any interest in playing it. I was thinking about buying a Wii U but I'm not sure.

There is a premium pack with Mariokart 8 in Argos for 290 which looks a good deal.

Here are my for's and against's - could some people on here help me make my mind up?

For
    - My favourite game (series) ever is Mariokart.
    - I really like Mario games and platform games.
    - Not into serious games like InFamous and Assassins Creed.
    - PES is what kept me on PS3 for so long but I'm over that game now.
    - I really like the look of Nintendoland.
    - It would be great to switch from TV to gamepad (for some games) when my wife wanted to watch something.
    - My wife might play this the odd time.

Against
    - It's reaching end of life, although I'm still on PS3 so not sure I care!
    - A new Nintendo is coming out.
    - Don't know anybody else with one
    - Not a huge amount of games I'm interested in, although there are none anymore on PS3 that I want
    - I don't know what the online aspect of the console is like.

Leading me to a question - are there many people playing games like Mario Kart 8 online these days? Is there an online store for demos and cheap mini games and things like that?

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I'm considering getting a Pro Controller. Can any recommend a good alternative to the official one? Or am I better off paying the €50 for the official model?

That main reason for getting this is for local multi player on Splatoon. We don't have this game yet so just wondering is the local multi-player feature any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cheap and nasty, might do as a 2nd controller
    3rd party WiiU wireless controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a Pro Controller. Can any recommend a good alternative to the official one? Or am I better off paying the €50 for the official model?

That main reason for getting this is for local multi player on Splatoon. We don't have this game yet so just wondering is the local multi-player feature any good?

Argos do an afterglow one as far as I remember.
    I used the 360 version for a while. Not great but not the worst aftermarket controller I've used either.
    As a 2nd controller I'd probably buy that brand again.

Just on splatoon though are you sure there's a local multiplayer?
    I thought the game got a bit of abuse for not having this option no?

I only ever played it online multiplayer tbh and it's been a while so I can't remember the options exactly.

God been so long since I played splatoon.
    If I can manage to tear Mario Maker out of the disc drive this weekend and also finish wolfenstein on the ps4 I'll give it a go again. Light shooty, splatterery, action.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just on splatoon though are you sure there's a local multiplayer?

It does, but it's more of a balloon shooting game than a proper Splatoon game, so it's not a 1-on-1 game of the normal Splatoon.

Star Lord wrote: »
    It does, but it's more of a balloon shooting game than a proper Splatoon game, so it's not a 1-on-1 game of the normal Splatoon.

Booourns to that.

It's a shame that they didn't go for a 4 player split screen option in some way. Definately has potential for that imo.

That said I don't miss it as I have no real friends to play with locally. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's not worth shelling out for a controller if it's just for Splatoon local multiplayer. It really tacked on, and it feels a lot like.... something... (Jet Force Gemini maybe or the GC Starfox multiplayer?) - it's 1 v 1 with no bots. The maps feel empty, the game is not inherently fun and inevitably one of you wants to shoot balloons while the other wants to splat some squid, which is where the quality of your 3rd party controller becomes important : How many times can you bounce it off your friend/spouse/child's head before it cracks open? (the controller that is... although the official controllers are pretty well made so maybe...)

No 2+2v4 / 1+3v1+3 bot battles, no local co-op campaign, no asynchronous Off-TV + TV online/local action. For a game that gets so much right and hit so many marks, they missed some pretty big targets for a flagship title on the so-called best console for local multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks for the info. Might hold off on the Pro Controller for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi,

I haven't played my PS3 in about a year and don't really have any interest in playing it. I was thinking about buying a Wii U but I'm not sure.

There is a premium pack with Mariokart 8 in Argos for 290 which looks a good deal.

Here are my for's and against's - could some people on here help me make my mind up?

For
    - My favourite game (series) ever is Mariokart.
    - I really like Mario games and platform games.
    - Not into serious games like InFamous and Assassins Creed.
    - PES is what kept me on PS3 for so long but I'm over that game now.
    - I really like the look of Nintendoland.
    - It would be great to switch from TV to gamepad (for some games) when my wife wanted to watch something.
    - My wife might play this the odd time.

Against
    - It's reaching end of life, although I'm still on PS3 so not sure I care!
    - A new Nintendo is coming out.
    - Don't know anybody else with one
    - Not a huge amount of games I'm interested in, although there are none anymore on PS3 that I want
    - I don't know what the online aspect of the console is like.

Leading me to a question - are there many people playing games like Mario Kart 8 online these days? Is there an online store for demos and cheap mini games and things like that?

Any advice appreciated!

Quick reply, cos I'm in work.

MK8 is the best in the series in my opinion.

Some of the lads here believe off tv playing is the best thing ever (I don't do it much myself).

I wasn't crazy about Nintendoland, to be honest.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Quick reply, cos I'm in work.

MK8 is the best in the series in my opinion.

Some of the lads here believe off tv playing is the best thing ever (I don't do it much myself).

I wasn't crazy about Nintendoland, to be honest.

MK8 is special. Amazing game. Does everything right.

I agree on Nintendoland. Not as bad as the critics would have you believe but not a lot in it really.

As for off screen play it really depends on your situation. It's actually the main reason I haven't played more Splatoon. Only one telly in the house.

I'm nearly 50 hours into Mario Maker because of off screen play.

I played around the same in splatoon but it was a pain having to battle with the family for TV time and ultimately I left it because of this.

I play a lot of my ps4 remotely on the vita in particular Destiny when I was knee deep in it. I think I've managed to kick that habit for now though.

I've warned the missus once Street Fighter V drops in February that I use the TV more or I'll just buy another one! Can not wait for that game.

Also to bring it back to Nintendo roll on Starfox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

MK8 is special. Amazing game. Does everything right.

Dat Battle Mode! P.U! Other than that, it's the best game in the series.

sligeach wrote: »
    Dat Battle Mode! P.U! Other than that, it's the best game in the series.

Ok I'll give you that one.

N64 battle mode for the win!

That said there was/is more than enough content without it with lots of free dlc etc to make it worth the asking price and more!

Maybe it meant they could spend more time on the racing elements/physics or tracks or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Might hold off on the Pro Controller for now.

I love it. 50 hour battery life and it feels great especially for MK8, i would highly recommend one.

That said there was/is more than enough content without it with lots of free dlc etc to make it worth the asking price and more!

Free DLC? There hasn't been any. Unless you count the free download code for a game that was available for the first month to those of us who bought it at launch.

Oh no wait, there was the Mercedes DLC and the 200cc mode. Am I forgetting anything else?

Overall, with the great value paid for DLC and the free game, it's been a great package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Super Mario Maker and MK8 200cc speedruns this week on Games Done Quick for anyone interested

sligeach wrote: »
    Free DLC? There hasn't been any. Unless you count the free download code for a game that was available for the first month to those of us who bought it at launch.

Oh no wait, there was the Mercedes DLC and the 200cc mode. Am I forgetting anything else?

Overall, with the great value paid for DLC and the free game, it's been a great package.

There was tracks no?
    I can't remember at this point.
    I know I paid for some dlc but I thought there was free tracks too.

Ah anyway great game, plenty to do, well worth asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Gonna build back my games collection for the wii u

So far I have mariokart 8 and splatoon

I plan on picking up one game a week for few weeks to build mine up.
    What games should I be looking at like what are your top 10 wii u games?

The only Argos that has it in stock is Clonmel :mad:

Did not know PS4 could be played remotely using Vita but that's a hefty price tag for both.

I think I'm decided on trying a Wii U anyway. Just for Mariokart. And BTW, SNES battle mode beats the crap out of N64 battle mode. The weapons are too powerful on N64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm pretty sure you can get SNES Mario Kart in the WiiU eshop, and play it off tv.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can get SNES Mario Kart in the WiiU eshop, and play it off tv.

Probably. I had it on Wii years ago before I lost my Wii. Still dreaming about SNES Mariokart online multiplayer!

There was tracks no?
    I can't remember at this point.
    I know I paid for some dlc but I thought there was free tracks too.

Ah anyway great game, plenty to do, well worth asking price.

There were no free tracks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best 2D MK, for me, is the GBA one, that game is stunning, still playable now!
    Although local multiplayer is lacking, and that is the whole point of the Snes title being awesome....
    looks like I just talked myself out of my own argument...
    Hate when I do that :(

Super Mario Maker, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Yoshi's Woolly World would be in my top 10. Probably Wind Waker, definitely if you didn't play it on the Gamecube. Super Smash Bros. Wii U. Xenoblade Chronicles X, right up there pushing for the number 1 spot. I'd need time to make a definitive top 10.

budgemook wrote: »
    The only Argos that has it in stock is Clonmel :mad:

Did not know PS4 could be played remotely using Vita but that's a hefty price tag for both.

I think I'm decided on trying a Wii U anyway. Just for Mariokart. And BTW, SNES battle mode beats the crap out of N64 battle mode. The weapons are too powerful on N64.

Pros and cons for the vita vs Wii U remote play.
    My biggest problem with the vita is it hasn't got an L2 or R2 button so most games have those mapped to the touch screen back or front which is a bit of a pain. Some games made specific layouts that worked really well like Destiny for example.

The screen is smaller than the Wii U gamepad as well.

On the plus side the vita is an actual remote device meaning you can potentially depending on internet speed play your ps4 from anywhere, like your mates house for example.

The Wii U gamepad is off screen play as distinct to remote play meaning it can only be used within a certain distance of the console. In the house it's in generally as a rule of thumb. From the ****ter for example.

So yeah I love both and only use both in the house.

Vita is more expensive but bear in mind it's a stand alone console in its own right as well with loads of great games. Massively underrated system.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So was just looking at the provisional drivers license today and I didn't know they were licensed to give death stares and hunt ghosts

DrivingLicenseNewJan2013_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-648990

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Yeah thats the first thing I thought when I saw me missus's provisional licence.
    The full one is "Mario Red" but doesn't have a big "M" on it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Bayonetta 2....go find a store right now, break in, get a copy and leave some cash behind....right now!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Yeah thats the first thing I thought when I saw me missus's provisional licence.
    The full one is "Mario Red" but doesn't have a big "M" on it, unfortunately.

It's Peach Pink and just has the Euro flag on it.

Advertisement