Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone else not a big fan of splatoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'd doubt it. Its a great game in my opinion.

iamtony wrote: »
    I'd doubt it. Its a great game in my opinion.

Think I need to give it more time tbh just find controls awkward and no off TV play

Think I need to give it more time tbh just find controls awkward and no off TV play

The no off TV thing is crap as is the lack of a coop mode. At first I wasn't a massive fan of the motion control but once you get the hang of it its very good.
    Maybe its not for you but I would urge you to stick with it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I too am not a fan of the controls. The game is lacking in some regards, mainly when it comes to online. No way would I give it Wii U GOTY. Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X are way better. Then again, that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I haven't really given it enough time either, and I've had it ages. I just wasn't able to get into it at all.

I felt that there must have been something wrong with me...
    iE8lmJc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

After the success of Splatoon I hope we have an online Mario Sunshine style FPS :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

McLoughlin wrote: »
    After the success of Splatoon I hope we have an online Mario Sunshine style FPS :D

I was hoping for a Splatoon based battle arena in MK8 and a Splatoon 3DS game, based primarily around the single player missions but including some sort of multiplayer element.
    I still can't get a stable connection for WiiU Splatoon at all, haven't had an online match since its first month of release, when I could tolerate 3 matches out of 4 being knocked on the head.
    In fact, earlier builds let you play through patchy instability, now you just kicked kicked off the server and back to the hub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was hoping for a Splatoon based battle arena in MK8 and a Splatoon 3DS game, based primarily around the single player missions but including some sort of multiplayer element.
    I still can't get a stable connection for WiiU Splatoon at all, haven't had an online match since its first month of release, when I could tolerate 3 matches out of 4 being knocked on the head.
    In fact, earlier builds let you play through patchy instability, now you just kicked kicked off the server and back to the hub :(

Me too. Even though I loved the game, this is the reason I don't play it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Have you checked opening ports re the Wii U, or specifically for Splatoon? I've never had to thankfully, but it might be worth having a look at.

• Advertisement

It's a huge issue and is mentioned on nearly every single forum. A search brings up thousands of threads, the guy in this thread (gingerbeardman) seems to be getting somewhere slowly.

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/splatoon_connection_unstablelost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Have you checked opening ports re the Wii U, or specifically for Splatoon? I've never had to thankfully, but it might be worth having a look at.

Problem is, I have it on a wired connection, and it's just not working for Splatoon.
    It works for the Eshop, for Mario Kart, but Splatoon fails miserably.
    I also have a 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbox One, not to mention a WDTV Live streaming box going through a dedicated router, some wired some not and they give me no trouble at all.
    Just the WiiU and, to my knowledge, just Splatoon.
    I don't know what Nintendo are playing at, but there really isn't any excuse for someone to have to bugger around online looking for solutions to this stuff any more, should be just pick a network, enter password if necessary, and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Problem is, I have it on a wired connection, and it's just not working for Splatoon.
    It works for the Eshop, for Mario Kart, but Splatoon fails miserably.
    I also have a 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbox One, not to mention a WDTV Live streaming box going through a dedicated router, some wired some not and they give me no trouble at all.
    Just the WiiU and, to my knowledge, just Splatoon.
    I don't know what Nintendo are playing at, but there really isn't any excuse for someone to have to bugger around online looking for solutions to this stuff any more, should be just pick a network, enter password if necessary, and off you go.

I'd various problems having to open ports for Destiny and Need for Speed Rivals on Xbox One, even though every other game worked fine, so it can definitely be game specific. Even if it worked fine previously, an update can mess things up. I agree that it should just be a case of turning it on and playing of course, but not always the case unfortunately. There's lots of stuff about Splatoon on Reddit so there might be a solution in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/35t68r/which_ports_are_splatoon_using/

After so long in Nintendo country and being the lifetime fan boy that I am, even I don't see much future for my wiiu....

So here I am looking at ps4s....and feeling dirty...

smokingman wrote: »
    After so long in Nintendo country and being the lifetime fan boy that I am, even I don't see much future for my wiiu....

Leave this forum and never look back you traitor.
    Ah no seriously the ps4 ain't bad but it won't fulfil you like the Wii U does but it scratches other itches you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You should try two at once. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but compliment each other very well.

Lads if we are only getting the nx portable this year the wii u has a good run yet tbh

Xbox one wii u combo a bit better imo

Ah I'm only thinking ps4 because 3 mates have them. Don't know anyone with an xbox one.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You should try two at once. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but compliment each other very well.

I'm thinking of selling mine to a friend that said he'd buy it.. (PS4)
    I have the PS3 a huge backlog and mostly play the Wii U.
    I saw the unofficial 'Dreamcast 2' may be coming out in 6 days (Or more 'info' :( ) and I really miss my original Dreamcast.
    Quite a few games I never got to finish on it that I'd love to go back to. I keep meaning to buy one and may go for this if it comes out.
    If the price is decent.
    I don't need no stinkin' PS4/Xbox1. (Not yet anyway) :).

EDIT-

It seems that in 6 days will probably be just to announce that they will start the crowd funding process. Which I believe may require 1 million units to pre sell before Sega put their name or their Arcade Roms anywhere near it.

Ah well. Back to Adverts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm thinking of selling mine to a friend that said he'd buy it.. (PS4)
    I have the PS3 a huge backlog and mostly play the Wii U.
    I saw the unofficial 'Dreamcast 2' may be coming out in 6 days and I really miss my original Dreamcast.
    Quite a few games I never got to finish on it that I'd love to go back to. I keep meaning to buy one and may go for this if it comes out.
    If the price is decent.
    I don't need no stinkin' PS4/Xbox1. (Not yet anyway) :).

To be honest I feel the same way however I'm not considering selling my PS4. I wouldn't suggest you do either! I sometimes fall out of love with a console and leave it dormant for a couple of months, only to be reminded why I bought it with certain fantastic releases.

Now that the dust has settled on the major releases of 2015 my Wii U has been given more love with Shovel Knight and my PS3 is experiencing an Indian summer. Game prices are ridiculously cheap at the moment (and Yakuza 4 is ridiculously good).

I'm jealous of Dreamcast owners as I never was a part of that club. I hope to sample that same smugness as a Wii U owner once people realise what they missed in 10-15 years!

New Wii U firmware update version 5.5.1 is now available. It takes 47MB of space and apparently doesn't do much other than improve overall system stability.

Ah I'm only thinking ps4 because 3 mates have them. Don't know anyone with an xbox one.

I have one!
    And a PS4.
    The PS4 is better so far, and with The Last Guardian on the way and Bloodborne exclusive to it, if you can only have one, have a PS4.

I have one!
    And a PS4.
    The PS4 is better so far, and with The Last Guardian on the way and Bloodborne exclusive to it, if you can only have one, have a PS4.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still keep my wiiu. I do however need to get gaming with my real life friends....you lot are just so virtual ;D

Changed my mind about splatoon the game is a hell of a lot of fun

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Changed my mind about splatoon the game is a hell of a lot of fun

I gave the game 7/10 at launch. Now its 9/10. They've added so much to the game since. It's pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

My Wii U was dispatched this morning - Mariokart bundle.

Looking forward to playing Mariokart to death and then exploring some other titles. Plenty recommended in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

look I've been living with this for a couple of years but it's starting to get to me.... does anyone else's Wii U have a bit of trouble starting up?

Basically :
    I switch it on - either from the Pad or the console's power button.
    The WiiU blue LED comes on, as do the fans.
    When it's having the issue, that's all you hear, the Gamepad gives you the no connection error.
    (once in a while, if you leave it a while it eventually powers up)
    If you power it off and on again, it's grand but you get the "power off after 1 hour" warning.
    When it's working, you hear the disc spin up and a "wheep" noise and all is well.

It's the same with and without USB HDD attached.
    It's the same with and without that sending-notifications-to-the-Gamepad option on.
    I'm pretty sure it only happens from a cold start-up.

I try to make sure I only pull the plug when there's a Red led (rather than amber).

I haven't tried turning off the automatic updates/push notifications/ whatever their always-on-a-little-bit setting is
    I haven't checked if it's the same when the download queue is clear.
    Any other suggestions?

Banjo wrote: »
    look I've been living with this for a couple of years but it's starting to get to me.... does anyone else's Wii U have a bit of trouble starting up?

Basically :
    I switch it on - either from the Pad or the console's power button.
    The WiiU blue LED comes on, as do the fans.
    When it's having the issue, that's all you hear, the Gamepad gives you the no connection error.
    (once in a while, if you leave it a while it eventually powers up)
    If you power it off and on again, it's grand but you get the "power off after 1 hour" warning.
    When it's working, you hear the disc spin up and a "wheep" noise and all is well.

It's the same with and without USB HDD attached.
    It's the same with and without that sending-notifications-to-the-Gamepad option on.
    I'm pretty sure it only happens from a cold start-up.

I try to make sure I only pull the plug when there's a Red led (rather than amber).

I haven't tried turning off the automatic updates/push notifications/ whatever their always-on-a-little-bit setting is
    I haven't checked if it's the same when the download queue is clear.
    Any other suggestions?

Try updating the system firmware. Ironically enough, I downloaded & installed todays update and a little while later while the Wii U froze for the first time in I can't remember when. And all those stability jokes that were made about the announcement.

I think something similar used to happen to me a long time ago but it disappeared possibly with a new firmware update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Does anyone have a problem playing that sonic lost world demo? I just can't process at all after a certain point.

Advertisement