Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funny thing is, looking it up, there are people downloading it. Nothing to play it on. There are 3DS game dumps available as well with nothing to play them on, yet people keep going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Dont think it will be too long before the hack is completely released.

Wonder if nintendo have the capability to disable the usb ports on the wiiu therefore killing the hack?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll never bother with a current gen hdd full of games again.
    It spoiled the Wii for me, as did the cakes of cdrs for the DC and the R4 for the DS.
    A waste of time, and never got to grips with any single title, too busy flitting betwixt games.
    Better to invest in one at a time, both financially and on terms of play time.

Besides, this is the WiiU, after burning off the decent games, what am I going to do with the other 15 blank disks out of a package of 20? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

252306.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm so torn, specially now I've seen £150 wii U.
    I know I will get one, for mario/zelda pokemon, before the year is out. Question is get it now or later....

Y'know, back when I used my DS Lite as much as I do my 3DS or WiiU these days, I was perfectly happy to download roms for it from some rom site.
    These days, not because it's elusive or "might just be some gob****e on the internet bragging about hacking WiiU", not because I want free games; more because I have more refined tastes due to my more limited game time, I tend to purchase games with more direction.

If the WiiU is hacked I really won't give a sh|t.
    I'll still buy those games I actually want.

Am I just old for thinking that or what's the kids opinions on that these days?

• Advertisement

I think I would be more likely to play and finish the games I bought rather than then ones I hypothetically download. Partially because you spent the money on them and partially because they're there on your shelf watching you, taunting you until you play them. :) And I would definitely buy games like MadWorld, Zack and Wiki and Okami, just because they're the ones that wouldn't sell well and if I like them and want a sequel.

Besides, in this day and age, by the time I get around to playing a game it's dropped to a price so cheap that it's just handier to buy rather than downloading a 25GB game

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm so torn, specially now I've seen £150 wii U.
    I know I will get one, for mario/zelda pokemon, before the year is out. Question is get it now or later....

I am itching myself... I already got 2 games that I would play the living jaysus out of them. MH3 and Lego City Undercover. I would love to get Black ops 2 too, because you can play split screen with pad and TV.

that 149£ wii u basic on amazon looks like awesome deal. I am tempted to make my own bundle with it. Just to be clear lads. The only things you dont get in basic one is 32gb internal storage and nintendo land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I caved. Damn you Northern Ireland and your cheap games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I am itching myself... I already got 2 games that I would play the living jaysus out of them. MH3 and Lego City Undercover. I would love to get Black ops 2 too, because you can play split screen with pad and TV.

that 149£ wii u basic on amazon looks like awesome deal. I am tempted to make my own bundle with it. Just to be clear lads. The only things you dont get in basic one is 32gb internal storage and nintendo land?

The other difference that might affect you is the basic has no sensor bar. If you have a Wii, the sensor bar from that works. If not you can get one for €15 in Smyths. It also doesn't have stands for the console or gamepad, but they're only minor things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll never bother with a current gen hdd full of games again.

This, & the exact same thing happened me with the Wii. Now I'm buying games & actively collecting...so much better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The other difference that might affect you is the basic has no sensor bar. If you have a Wii, the sensor bar from that works. If not you can get one for €15 in Smyths. It also doesn't have stands for the console or gamepad, but they're only minor things

The other difference is the eshop incentive that gives you points based on money spent on the shop. Only available to 32gb WiiU owners. Not a big deal unless you love paying over the odds for Digital distros you can't trade in and that are hardware-tied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Nintendo wont be able to stop the practise without pissing off everybody that ownes the console.

AFAIK the hack involves having cracked whatever propriatory filesystem format the WiiU uses when a HDD has been formatted to work with it.

This means that they can write to this format and convince the WiiU to play games as if they had been downloaded from the marketplace.

The only way to counteract this would be for Nintendo to start using a newer proprietary file system format which would render previously used drives inoperable as well as forcing people to have to redownload their legit content all over again.

I can't see that happening to be honest with you.

Is it me or second hand Wii U prices on adverts.ie are freaking mad? In some cases people want more then you can buy everything brand new online and in most cases they sell it for 20-30eu less then you can buy everything online brand new again...
    Are people a bit out of touch? :confused:

I am still wrestling with myself on getting Wii U for MH3. Its not easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is it me or second hand Wii U prices on adverts.ie are freaking mad? In some cases people want more then you can buy everything brand new online and in most cases they sell it for 20-30eu less then you can buy everything online brand new again...
    Are people a bit out of touch? :confused:

I am still wrestling with myself on getting Wii U for MH3. Its not easy!

It's a joke really. The Wii U basic could be down to £99 by Christmas the way it's price keeps falling. If I was selling a premium I would be looking for €200 for it and €20 per game with it.

It's a joke really. The Wii U basic could be down to £99 by Christmas the way it's price keeps falling. If I was selling a premium I would be looking for €200 for it and €20 per game with it.

Aye. Some of the basics on adverts go for 350eu!!! :confused::pac::confused:

Some people are really clueless. I would not mind picking up Second hand Wii U for right price, but not for more then it retails or 20eu less then brand new one with warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Since there's a lot of negativity on the Frostbite thread, some good news from Capcom....

'Capcom recently released their fiscal performance report, detailing which titles have done well for the publisher. Within it, Capcom stated that the biggest surprise for them was the sales of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and that it’s the latest title to join their “smash hits”. The interesting thing is that Capcom notes most sales didn’t come from physical purchases, but rather digital downloads of the titles'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The (lack of) availability of MH3 on 3ds definitely contributed to me buying it for download. Well, that and the fact that its awesome ;)

I'd imagine those figures are skewed by the amount of bundles those games shifted seeing as how they're all download copies

I have love/hate relationship with capcom. I hate what they did to my beloved resident evil franchise, but at the same time they game me such a quality game like monster Hunter 3.

Good to see capcom taking notes on monster Hunter success. I hope they realised too how much people love it west too.
    I know they are making mh4 for 3ds, but if they make it for Wii u too, then **** EA and unreal engine 4. I am going to buy Wii u asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I have love/hate relationship with capcom. I hate what they did to my beloved resident evil franchise, but at the same time they game me such a quality game like monster Hunter 3.

Good to see capcom taking notes on monster Hunter success. I hope they realised too how much people love it west too.
    I know they are making mh4 for 3ds, but if they make it for Wii u too, then **** EA and unreal engine 4. I am going to buy Wii u asap.

resident evil revelations is very good and probably is the closest thing to the resident evil formula than 5 and 6 were. also getting a ps3,360 and wii u release i believe, i recommend it :)

resident evil revelations is very good and probably is the closest thing to the resident evil formula than 5 and 6 were. also getting a ps3,360 and wii u release i believe, i recommend it :)

I own it on 3ds ;). It's really good, but at the moment one other nasty game is stealing all my gaming time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

I own it on 3ds ;). It's really good, but at the moment one other nasty game is stealing all my gaming time!!!

But you can post miiverse messages and play as Racheal in Raid mode on the wii u version!

Any guesses as to when we'll get the next Direct(s)?

CastorTroy wrote: »

around e3 so about a month from now

Ah yeah, knew was around then. Just wonder will it be just before or during e3 and how many there'll be

Ah yeah, knew was around then. Just wonder will it be just before or during e3 and how many there'll be

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/young-people-less-than-35-days-until-nintendos-e3-starts.452980149/
    Is ign rumour if you has interest in rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Taken from another site. A collection of rumours, some taken from poster '100 Year Old Gamer' on IGN, who has been known to get things right in the past. It's interesting speculation if nothing else.

Pokémon News

Pokemon X and Y and Pokemon Rumble U news expected with no other Pokémon games revealed.

Game Updates

Yoshi Wii U is said to be a late 2013/early 2014 title.
    Games said to be at the E3 showfloor include: 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, W101, X, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

Rumoured/Unconfirmed Games

Capcom supposedly working on a Resident Evil remake from their back catalogue.
    Nintendo wanting to continue Picross on Nintendo 3DS.
    New Star Fox title, said to be more like Lylat Wars, expected this generation.
    Star Wars expected on Wii U as “Disney likes the Wii U so far”.
    Nintendo titles to use NFC – new IP from Nintendo.
    New Animal Crossing expected, but “way off” for Wii U.
    Nintendo tried to regain Banjo Kazooie but it didn’t work.
    A Final Fantasy remake is being developed for Wii U.
    Games that will use dual GamePad controllers will be announced.

Legend of Zelda

New Legend of Zelda is said to feature a return for past races like the Gorons, Zoras plus new additional species to encounter.
    The game is also venturing into more “RPG-like” territory without “going full out RPG”, like Skyward Sword.

Hardware Revisions and Performance

Wii U periperhals expected this year (to connect to the GamePad).
    A New Nintendo Wii U is expected by the end of 2014 with more internal storage but Blu-ray is unknown.
    A new Nintendo 3DS revision is expected, but not within the next two years.
    Denies Wii U clock-speed increases.
    Achievements and linked accounts said to be coming but “in a different way than anyone else does”.
    Nintendo working on trying to get more engines supported by Wii U.

Virtual Console Releases

Nintendo are expected to show and highlight classic GameCube titles heading to Virtual Console.
    Online multiplayer for classic Virtual Console games isn’t likely from Nintendo but “third parties will”.
    Plans to release classic titles, like Xenoblade Chronicles, on the Wii U eShop is likely at some point.

Retro Studios Wii U Project

The upcoming, untitled game from Retro Studios is said to be first-person, futuristic and “something everyone wants them to make”.
    Said to be working on a Donkey Kong track for Mario Kart Wii U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Tomorrow at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Corholio wrote: »
    Capcom supposedly working on a Resident Evil remake from their back catalogue.
    C'mon Resi 2! :D
    Star Wars expected on Wii U as “Disney likes the Wii U so far”.
    Apparently they've passed development of Star Wars games to EA though, so I'd not be holding my breath for this...
    New Legend of Zelda is said to feature a return for past races like the Gorons, Zoras plus new additional species to encounter.
    The game is also venturing into more “RPG-like” territory without “going full out RPG”, like Skyward Sword.
    I had to read that second line twice, my first thought was "Skywars Sword wasn't full out RPG!"... then I saw the comma! :pac:
    The upcoming, untitled game from Retro Studios is said to be first-person, futuristic and “something everyone wants them to make”.
    Not Raven Blade then... :(

Wonder where those rumours were copied from? I know the originals were on the ign boards from a guy claiming to work E3/Nintendo. But calling it Lylat Wars implies European.

A lot of the rumours were very out there while others are pretty much obvious. So seems to be a case of say every possibility then claim how right he was when he gets some right.

• Advertisement

So what games are we expecting today apart from Pikmin, 101 and Game and Wario?

Advertisement