Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Allyall wrote: »
    I thought it was odd that W101 only has 17%.

I know right. Its so amazing, aside from the occasional frame rate drops I thought it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I know right. Its so amazing, aside from the occasional frame rate drops I thought it was amazing.

Great game
    I live in hope that the poll was just to decide what order to make sequels for the NX in. :)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE (Standard Edition) is on Game.co.uk for £40 (~€51) and Amazon Germany for €70, But I can't seem to find the Fortissimo Edition anywhere. Rumours of a possible Sequel too. (That's what reminded me :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Allyall wrote: »
    Great game
    I live in hope that the poll was just to decide what order to make sequels for the NX in. :)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE (Standard Edition) is on Game.co.uk for £40 (~€51) and Amazon Germany for €70, But I can't seem to find the Fortissimo Edition anywhere. Rumours of a possible Sequel too. (That's what reminded me :) )

Fortissimo Edition was up on Amazon Germany I managed to get an order in and it came to €88 quid

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Fortissimo Edition was up on Amazon Germany I managed to get an order in and it came to €88 quid

Gahh.. Missed it. Now to watch Amazon Italy and hope it appears at a similar price including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

€88! How can you support that price? Look at what's in the bundle, nothing of any real value.

Edit: Add to that it's a minimalistic translation and censored unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

Is there any way to reserve something in a Gamestop store without paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

sligeach wrote: »
    €88! How can you support that price? Look at what's in the bundle, nothing of any real value.

Edit: Add to that it's a minimalistic translation and censored unnecessarily.

From experience the following will happen

It will go down in price to a more reasonable price level

or

It will appear elsewhere at a cheaper price and I can cancel the amazon pre order

or

It won't appear cheaper anywhere else and will be a rare game and this edition will appear on Ebay at high prices and become a very rare item.

Normally the second one happens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sligeach wrote: »

Yeah, I mean it'd be different if they bundled in something useful like an amiibo <ducks head between elbows to fend off the inevitable blows>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Wish I could say I was being hyperbolic when I say Smash 4 took me a whole day to download, update and install... not even an ethernet jack on the device. Ninty have zero shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

DublinBust wrote: »
    Wish I could say I was being hyperbolic when I say Smash 4 took me a whole day to download, update and install... not even an ethernet jack on the device. Ninty have zero shame.

Yeah seriously like what were they thinking not having an Ethernet port it's nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Am I the only one very disappointed with nintendo's behaviour regarding the wii-u. I feel as if a lot of games they make no longer live up to that gold standard they made for themselves. Like Windmaker was remastered and looked beautiful, twilight princess while improved drastically could definitely have been done and should definitely have been held to a higher standard. Animal Crosing Amiibo festival was probably meant to be a full game but just got pushed out to either make more money or say they put x amount of games on the wii u and start dev. for the NX. A lot of titles feel like that, churn it out... still good but they miss those WOW moments that I associate with Nintendo games.

Personally I'm going to not buy the NX unless it has an incredible line up and only a few years down the line... I'm abandoning console gaming for now and moving to pc gaming in the near future as a lot of the "indie devs" seem to care a lot about their project... kind of like I felt nintendo used to... I know they're a company but there was always a little more than that there and they know that so why couldn't they just live up to their promises and what they used to be? I feel like Nintendo cares only about the bottom line right now and not the end experience and bottom line.

Caring about the bottom line is what publishers like EA do not what Nintendo should do.

I agree with you that Nintendo need pulling up by the ears but its not because of game quality. Star Fox is apparently not great, but they do polish 99% of their titles to a mirror finish. However, they don't listen or interact properly with their fans. Trying to communicate with them is like shouting into the wind at the base of their ivory tower. They are far too confident in their decision making abilities, which leads to bad hardware, gimmicky control schemes and numerous delays. They don't seem particularly hungry for our cash, like Sony and MS are.

I would say EA is a far more receptive publisher than Nintendo is, and has improved a lot in the last three years.

I agree with you that Nintendo need pulling up by the ears but its not because of game quality. Star Fox is apparently not great, but they do polish 99% of their titles to a mirror finish. However, they don't listen or interact properly with their fans. Trying to communicate with them is like shouting into the wind at the base of their ivory tower. They are far too confident in their decision making abilities, which leads to bad hardware, gimmicky control schemes and numerous delays. They don't seem particularly hungry for our cash, like Sony and MS are.

I would say EA is a far more receptive publisher than Nintendo is, and has improved a lot in the last three years.

Up to now I wouldve said so but Star Fox does seem more like it was described as it initial reveal as not a true starfox game. Same as others it just doesn't scream nintendo. Their decision making right now is money IMO as they have over 10 million on the wii-u and it was growing so rather than row behind them and produce the games they planned its all shifted to the NX. Like Zelda being put off so they could have it as a launch title for the N is disappointing to say the least. It was meant to be last years Christmas release not the NX's launch title. I'm just disappointed I guess.

Absolutely they do not listen to their customers/fans and even when they try to they seem to interpret in the way that suits them... from a different pov sometimes its easier to produce a title that will stills sell rather than the one the fans want.

EA look for cash and nothing else, they're receptive in as much s they have to be to keep earning cash, its a bit of a joke the new COD will have space battles but star wars battlefront won't. The limit what the developers can make and release, thank God for indie gaming or their monopoly would be appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

To be honest im more disappointed that the wiius line up for what is essentially its last year is bland with only tokyo mirage sessions and zelda to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I agree we've a year of nothing to look forward too, not even E3 now. And the last year has been sporadic at best. Some great games like Xenoblade Chronicles X, then some awful tripe like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash with a smattering of mediocre games like well I don't want to say what but Metacritic will tell you. There's no doubt the quality of Nintendo's games have dropped. Twilight Princess HD was nowhere near what it could have been and was a cheap plaster. I've heard nobody talk about Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge and rightly so. It came out a week ago.

EA look for cash and nothing else, they're receptive in as much s they have to be to keep earning cash, its a bit of a joke the new COD will have space battles but star wars battlefront won't. The limit what the developers can make and release, thank God for indie gaming or their monopoly would be appalling.

EA have been giving away free games for a while now, and have done two Humble Bundles, with Steam codes added in as well. They even gave away Garden Warfare 1 away for nothing on PS4 only a few months after release, no PS+ needed to get it or anything. They've been making solid strides in the last few years towards getting back in the good books.

AFAIK COD is generally fooked; people are pissed its mediocre scifi while Battlefield is WW1, which people have been asking for for ages. It's trailer is the most downvoted in history. But yeah, EA screwed up Battlefront. Even Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars has space battles :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

EA have been giving away free games for a while now, and have done two Humble Bundles, with Steam codes added in as well. They even gave away Garden Warfare 1 away for nothing on PS4 only a few months after release, no PS+ needed to get it or anything. They've been making solid strides in the last few years towards getting back in the good books.

AFAIK COD is generally fooked; people are pissed its mediocre scifi while Battlefield is WW1, which people have been asking for for ages. It's trailer is the most downvoted in history. But yeah, EA screwed up Battlefront. Even Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars has space battles :P

EA need to do a lot more than just give away a few free games on digital platform. Long as they have an idiot like Moore in charge there they will never make anY significant strides with him in charge. He's heading up the eSports division so that might be a good thing for EA. Despite their, what seems, tri-annually 'We will do better' mantra, they never do. They are still a horrendous company, publisher and presence in general. I'd definitely strongly disagree, for all of Nintendo's faults, that they are anything like a publisher like EA.

Mmm. Paper mario, can't wait. Its so ****ing lame, come on Ninty. They gotta have a more general direct soon if they want anything to come out for christmas.

Corholio wrote: »

EA need to do a lot more than just give away a few free games on digital platform. Long as they have an idiot like Moore in charge there they will never make anY significant strides with him in charge. He's heading up the eSports division so that might be a good thing for EA. Despite their, what seems, tri-annually 'We will do better' mantra, they never do. They are still a horrendous company, publisher and presence in general. I'd definitely strongly disagree, for all of Nintendo's faults, that they are anything like a publisher like EA.

You're way behind the times on this. Battlefront is far too light on content but EA have been making improvements for a long time now. Ubisoft and Activision are much worse than EA. An argument could even be made for Nintendo being worse too, with how greedily they keep their prices, how little they listen to their audience. As a games company, no, EA don't have to 'do more than give away free games'; that is, in fact, something most don't do, so I consider it pretty decent. They don't have to. But between that, and taking part in Humble Bundles, and eventually fixing bad launches like BF4, it shows they are committed to improving. They're prone to screw-ups, like Hardline/Battlefront, but that doesn't make them particularly evil.

I mean the Nintendo Humble Bundles didn't even feature a single first party title, not even one of those mini-titles you can buy for a few quid, like the Kirby fighter one. I mean come on.

You're way behind the times on this. Battlefront is far too light on content but EA have been making improvements for a long time now. Ubisoft and Activision are much worse than EA. An argument could even be made for Nintendo being worse too, with how greedily they keep their prices, how little they listen to their audience. As a games company, no, EA don't have to 'do more than give away free games'; that is, in fact, something most don't do, so I consider it pretty decent. They don't have to. But between that, and taking part in Humble Bundles, and eventually fixing bad launches like BF4, it shows they are committed to improving. They're prone to screw-ups, like Hardline/Battlefront, but that doesn't make them particularly evil.

I mean the Nintendo Humble Bundles didn't even feature a single first party title, not even one of those mini-titles you can buy for a few quid, like the Kirby fighter one. I mean come on.

Not behind the times at all. The things they have 'improved' are the things that are the minimum expectancy and as I said with Moore moving positions I'm sure they will improve. I also never said they were 'evil', they just had outrageous practices towards consumers and still some lapped it up, hey from their point of view if people still wanted it after that then why wouldn't they keep doing it. The humble bundles, free games etc are all fine, but something like Battlefront launch and subsequent content isn't really comparable in terms of good/bad, it's on a much bigger scale. The thing is the things they have done recently, although bad, aren't the major **** ups that they used to have so it's either bad or good with some. The fact that they have sort of stopped buying studios and then proceeding to bury them is alone a change, but the trail of wasted talent there is hard to replace with some humble bundle games.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

Not behind the times at all. The things they have 'improved' are the things that are the minimum expectancy

They're expected to give away free games every month, partake in humble bundles, give 10 hour trials for their games and come up with cheap schemes like EA access? Give over.

I and many friends were victims of Dublin's PopCap branch closure. That is long in the past, part of the damage to their rep with the community that they're trying to fix, and they've been doing a solid job at that. They've made great strides.

But I can tell when someone simply refuses to be incorrect, so I will bid you adieu, don't want to derail the thread.

They're expected to give away free games every month, partake in humble bundles, give 10 hour trials for their games and come up with cheap schemes like EA access? Give over.

I and many friends were victims of Dublin's PopCap branch closure. That is long in the past, part of the damage to their rep with the community that they're trying to fix, and they've been doing a solid job at that. They've made great strides.

But I can tell when someone simply refuses to be incorrect, so I will bid you adieu, don't want to derail the thread.

Ehh....that's not what I was saying at all. I was talking about the things they had to fix because of their own mistakes like awful launches, the Madden Reward issues etc etc, nothing to do with the humble bundles etc.

What's the last line about? You have an opinion, I have an opinion, why make it insulting that I don't have the same one as yours? Anyway, all the best.

Lets be clear Nintendo isn't as bad as EA or some other publishers but tbh how long before it goes in that direction... its definitely a slippery slope with companies, and generally people who don't understand gaming gaining control of gaming industry companies. Right now the people in charge of Nintendo care about gaming or at least I felt they used to, now it seems like they're focusing on the bottom line and not really concerning themselves with their actual customers, they could very easily do irreparable damage over the next few years, same as EA has done to their own brand.

Lets be clear Nintendo isn't as bad as EA

In what way? Bad hardware, a complete disregard for their fanbase, rehashes of Mario Tennis/Party/Mario whatever when people have been asking for a Metroid/FZero game since the Wii launched, few new I.P.'s, extremely thin release schedule in general, extremely stingy with putting games on sale (and never at a decent % off), and now an app that somehow simultaneously has loads of grind and no real content. Their software is the only thing carrying them, and that has been very hit and miss lately.

In what way? Bad hardware, a complete disregard for their fanbase, rehashes of Mario Tennis/Party/Mario whatever when people have been asking for a Metroid/FZero game since the Wii launched, few new I.P.'s, extremely thin release schedule in general, extremely stingy with putting games on sale (and never at a decent % off), and now an app that somehow simultaneously has loads of grind and no real content. Their software is the only thing carrying them, and that has been very hit and miss lately.

I actually got something that lasted more than two weeks without paying double its price for DLC that extends it for another two weeks. There are good games for the Wii U jsut not enough and while they're acting in a very EA way and risk losing a large part of their fanbase they're not there yet. EA have been doing it for decades Nintendo may need to do some soul searching, EA no longer have one... they might try and acquire one through a takeover though :D

while they're acting in a very EA way

Nintendo are in no way replicating anything EA is doing. Did you miss where I mentioned that they've given away free games every month, given their own games in Humble Bundles, have started EA Access which is access to their titles for a very small monthly fee, and actually give the gaming public the IP that they want?

They even made some Battlefield DLC free a few days ago. All of these things, things they didn't have to do; which is obvious, as Nintendo aren't doing any of that.

Nintendo is acting in a very Nintendo way, and they've been doing so since Iwata took the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

With the rate at which EA turn around franchise iterations, it costs them very little to throw a few games into Humble Bundles vs the potential gains of getting people to install the Origin platform.

Ninty are chasing profits over plaudits right now, there's no denying it, but I've not heard any horror stories about their treatment of people akin to those that circulate about EA. But sure, they're giving away free games, so they must be a nice company...

Nintendo games are much higher quality than EA tripe. They need to fix the quantity of their games (Nintendo) I grant you, but still.

Nintendo are in no way replicating anything EA is doing. Did you miss where I mentioned that they've given away free games every month, given their own games in Humble Bundles, have started EA Access which is access to their titles for a very small monthly fee, and actually give the gaming public the IP that they want?

They even made some Battlefield DLC free a few days ago. All of these things, things they didn't have to do; which is obvious, as Nintendo aren't doing any of that.

Nintendo is acting in a very Nintendo way, and they've been doing so since Iwata took the helm.

While I think that red alrert 2 and theme hospital were nice give aways, actually got red alert 2 (no support for online or even lan play with that btw) stuff like Dungeon Keeper is on another elvel to what Ninetnedo are doing. the games they give out are never ones they can make enough money from to contemplate doing a re-release. battlefield DLC free is kind of a joke when the game was released with half content in comparison to the ones earlier in the series.

EA access is completely mark motivated and will end up costing players more in the long term than buying the games...

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    With the rate at which EA turn around franchise iterations, it costs them very little to throw a few games into Humble Bundles vs the potential gains of getting people to install the Origin platform.

Ninty are chasing profits over plaudits right now, there's no denying it, but I've not heard any horror stories about their treatment of people akin to those that circulate about EA. But sure, they're giving away free games, so they must be a nice company...

EA gave away Steam keys; duplicates for origin keys I might add, that I've been able to give away...

Nintendo gave in to Gamergate harassment just last month.

Advertisement