Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Nintendo games are much higher quality than EA tripe. They need to fix the quantity of their games (Nintendo) I grant you, but still.

*personal opinion. I may agree, but that's what that is, and it has nothing to do with the regard companies hold for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

DublinBust wrote: »
    Nintendo gave in to Gamergate harassment just last month.

*Backs away from thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What on Earth is going on in here? This is a Nintendo forum and yet I'm reading about EA in a couple of threads. They're dirt in my eyes. Unprecedented partnership is all I need say. Or look up EA evil assholes or EA worst company and you'll get half a million for each search on Google. Nintendo have major problems but they're not as bad as that shower. Why would you mention EA in this thread? It's asking for trouble and they've done nothing on Wii U since around 2012. Some of their games were disgracefully handled(the few they ported) and we were treated like crap.

sligeach wrote: »
    What on Earth is going on in here? This is a Nintendo forum and yet I'm reading about EA in a couple of threads. They're dirt in my eyes. Unprecedented partnership is all I need say. Or look up EA evil assholes or EA worst company and you'll get half a million for each search on Google. Nintendo have major problems but they're not as bad as that shower. Why would you mention EA in this thread? It's asking for trouble and they've done nothing on Wii U since around 2012. Some of their games were disgracefully handled(the few they ported) and we were treated like crap.

I was trying to make the point that this new attitude of Nintendo towards the bottom line (IMO) may lead them on to a slippery slope towards being a company like EA. For some reason some people think that EA are a better company than Nintendo.

What on Earth is going on in here? This is a Nintendo forum and yet I'm reading about EA in a couple of threads. They're dirt in my eyes. Unprecedented partnership is all I need say. Or look up EA evil assholes or EA worst company and you'll get half a million for each search on Google.

People really need to get the whole 'acted badly in the past, but is trying to turn it around'-concept into their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EA are like any other company, in it to make money.
    So, it's hardly a surprise they abandoned the WiiU, given the performance of the console in terms of hardware and software sales.
    But, they were great supporters of every other Nintendo console, and remain a supporter of the 3DS.
    Tbh I would be thanking our lucky stars that the EA line will appear on the new Nintendo console hardware, end of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No they didn't. That's not to say that what they did wasn't totally wrong in everyway but they just acted like an big multinational would, cutting ties with bad PR.

Also it's kind of tough for Nintendo to fix the quantity of games they are producing when they are pretty much the most prolific producer of content out of all developers. They are pumping out games on the 3DS and WiiU and releasing far more games every year and any other big developer or publisher. It just isn't enough to support a system on its own, they need third party games.

EA made 4 Wii U games. FIFA 13, it was a late port because of Wii U launch date but it was also a lacking port compared to other systems even with the extra time. Madden 13, it never released outside of the States. Mass Effect 3, a late port of a series that was never experienced previously on a Nintendo system, released at the time when other consoles were getting the trilogy. Need For Speed: Most Wanted, the final game, again another late port, probably the best of the lot in terms of effort, thanks to Criterion.

Abandoned after less than 4 months. the decision on porting Mass Effect 3 had to have been made prior to Wii U's launch and you've got to figure the logic. A whopping 4 games, truly an unprecedented partnership. There's other factors, was it down to Nintendo refusing to use Origin? EA's financial results were bad that year, which led to the resignation of the president who made that famous quote. Not having EA support helped in part to bury Wii U and further its negative perception. Just ask the Dreamcast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wouldn't take it all so personally though.
    EA didn't turn up at our doors and take away anything.
    Plus, keep in mind that the exclusives on the WiiU have been far and away the best games on any current home console, right up to the release of Bloodborne, arguably the only reason to bother investing in a PS4 at the time.
    Bayonetta 2 is case and point, a multiplatform release for the previous title, it was a WiiU exclusive, better than anything on any other console at the time and drove the non Nintendo owners mad, those who had been waiting for a sequel at least.
    The WiiU could have had a better run but in its first two years it had better exclusive games than the Xbox One still has managed to produce, and arguably the PS4 isnt there yet either.
    If the NX doesnt include backwards compatibilty and Nintendo show no interest in rereleasing games on it, then the WiiU will remain a great purchase for years if not decades to come as the only way to play Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros or Super Mario 3D World.
    Don't worry a jot about EA, there will always be ways to play their annually released committee led junk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

To be honest im more disappointed that the wiius line up for what is essentially its last year is bland with only tokyo mirage sessions and zelda to look forward to

Part of me thinks they should have shelved the Wii-U version of Zelda and just concentrate on the NX version - make it a better game for a better console. The open world nature of it sounds ambitous for a Zelda game so I hope the Wii-U doesn't restrict it.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Part of me thinks they should have shelved the Wii-U version of Zelda and just concentrate on the NX version - make it a better game for a better console. The open world nature of it sounds ambitous for a Zelda game so I hope the Wii-U doesn't restrict it.

I agree. Make it the best it can be. Maybe the extra will be working on maxing out the NX version and the Wii U game is as good as done.

I agree. Make it the best it can be. Maybe the extra will be working on maxing out the NX version and the Wii U game is as good as done.

Well, we saw the debacle of Rodea the Sky Soldier where the Wii game was finished and then delayed at the request of Ninty to port it to the WiiU, which made it years late. And despite this the WiiU port is awful while the Wii game, also playable on the WiiU, is very good indeed.

Super Mario Mash-Up Pack for Minecraft - Wii U Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5l5FA3iac4

I love the idea of Minecraft but I'm way too lazy to build my own worlds in it.
    How big is the premade world in this pack I wonder?
    It might make it worthy of a purchase if there's some sort of game there, and not just a sandbox... f*&k I hate sandbox titles, no bloody point to anything.

The promise of a Zelda Wii-u pushed me and I imagine many others over to buy the Wii-u. Its already beend elayed to cater for the NX, if they tried to do that I'd give up on Nintendo altogether, to me it would be up there with the ridiculous dlc rubbish you get nowadays. As is I don't trust Nintendo to live up to anything they promise anymore but I may buy their stuff in future... they pulled something like that I wouldn't again

Retr0gamer wrote: »

No they didn't.
    Yes they did. There would've been no bad PR had there been no Gamergate harassment/slander/libel campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The promise of a Zelda Wii-u pushed me and I imagine many others over to buy the Wii-u. Its already beend elayed to cater for the NX, if they tried to do that I'd give up on Nintendo altogether, to me it would be up there with the ridiculous dlc rubbish you get nowadays. As is I don't trust Nintendo to live up to anything they promise anymore but I may buy their stuff in future... they pulled something like that I wouldn't again

What about all those people who bought a PS3 to play The Last Guardian? There are many games that were meant for one gen and slipped to the next gen. At least Nintendo are making the effort, like they did releasing Twilight Princess cross gen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What about all those people who bought a PS3 to play The Last Guardian? There are many games that were meant for one gen and slipped to the next gen. At least Nintendo are making the effort, like they did releasing Twilight Princess cross gen

*ahem*

So what's this Last Guardian? Would it be something that someone who...say... finally caved and bought a PS3 to fill the gap until Zelda comes along might be interested in?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

*ahem*

So what's this Last Guardian? Would it be something that someone who...say... finally caved and bought a PS3 to fill the gap until Zelda comes along might be interested in?

TLG is a PS4 game now.

TLG is a PS4 game now.

It's the reason I bought a PS4.
    Unfortunately it was also the reason I bought a PS3...
    This does not bode well
    *ahem*

If you have a PS3, just get Ico/SotC to tide you over, they are simply incredible games.

• Advertisement

People should not buy consoles 'for' games that are not even close to being out of alpha never mind getting a date. Very confused whenever I see someone say something like 'I bought a WiiU at launch for Zelda' when a WiiU Zelda isn't even announced or confirmed! If you want a game bad enough grand... wait till the publisher sets a date maybe though...

Having said that if TLG isn't dated for November at E3 they're massively taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

*ahem*

As CiDeRmAn said, you can just get the Ico/Shadow of Colossus collection. The Last Guardian is a follow up to those from the same crowd.
    In the meantime, my favourite games on the PS3 would probably be the Infamous games

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's the reason I bought a PS4.
    Unfortunately it was also the reason I bought a PS3...
    This does not bode well

The Last Guardian will now be exclusive to PS4 Neo. :p

So how bout that Wii U? :)
    I've plenty of games left to keep me going for a while anyway

People should not buy consoles 'for' games that are not even close to being out of alpha never mind getting a date. Very confused whenever I see someone say something like 'I bought a WiiU at launch for Zelda' when a WiiU Zelda isn't even announced or confirmed! If you want a game bad enough grand... wait till the publisher sets a date maybe though...

Having said that if TLG isn't dated for November at E3 they're massively taking the piss.

Plenty of people buy consoles with the expectation of an announced game, in The Last Guardians case it was confirmed to be coming to the PS3 before being hit with interminable delays and then moved to the PS4. The PS3 went on to hit it out of the park with an excellent lineup of exclusives though.

In the Nintendo specific example you give, well everyone should expect a Zelda title, a Smash Bros, a Mario Kart and be annoyed when none are forthcoming, although this hasn't happened, aside from the absence of a Metroid title on the WiiU, which has generated some disappointment.
    And Zelda has been subject to massive delays, people are quite right to be vexed as the franchise is a reason some bought into the console, and were then given only remasters of two previous LoZ games.
    Few PS4 owners would be happy if they only were able to buy the Uncharted collection and faced with years of a delay for Uncharted 4, asked to wait until the launch of the PS5 instead.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Plenty of people buy consoles with the expectation of an announced game
    And yet, they shouldn't. The hypothetical game won't be out for years most likely, if it comes at all, as its unannounced. They'll even save a bit on it due to price drops. Time and again it's been shown to be a silly move.
    I can just picture in my head a dude lining up for hours on launch night, hands over launch price, gets home, unpacks it, and walks away from it for two years, and occasionally moans online about how it's gathering dust ha. Preposterous proposition.
    If they're playing other games in the meantime, then no, you didn't buy it 'for that game'. I think people say that half the time but in actual fact there were a handful of things they were interested in...

I didn't buy a ps3 for the last guardian, , Ive held Nintendo in a higher regard than Sony... should I not? Before you bring sony or microsoft back in to this, I don't care about those companies and I don't care what their situation is, I'm making the point if after continual promises NINTENDO abandoned the Wii-u version of Zelda I would place very little trust in NINTENDO and would be unlikely buy NINTENDO products again. Thanks for agreeing with me that I should not trust NINTENDO and their promises and it is ridiculous ot now expect them to deliver on their promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You seem to be operating on the assumption that they may do that. There's not been any trace of a rumor that they'll do so, in fact write the opposite, that it'll be both Wii U AND NX

Star Lord wrote: »
    You seem to be operating on the assumption that they may do that. There's not been any trace of a rumor that they'll do so, in fact write the opposite, that it'll be both Wii U AND NX

Yeah, Nintendo have released LoZTP on two consoles no reason to assume they'll waste the dev time and not launch it on two machines.
    Keep in mind the kind of seller LoZ is expected to be, probably up there with MK8 on the WiiU and even with the relatively small install base it is still more than the NX will have in the first year, even if all of Nintendo's dreams come true.
    So, release a WiiU version to the 12 million user base that's there or only release it to the NX, which might sell 4 million if it can replicate the PS4's success, after six months.
    No, maximise the numbers, and put enough in the NX edition that, when the existing WiiU owners buy into the NX, they'll be happy to dig deep once again.
    Or, they could provide a discount to those who buy LoZU on the WiiU once they try to buy it on the NX, perhaps removing the WiiU title from your account and replacing it with the spangly next gen version.

Star Lord wrote: »

You need to follow what I'm repsonding to and not insolation. Someone said that they;d prefer the new Zelda be moved to NX only, I was responding I;d give up on Nintendo if they did do that, then enter some comment about sony and the last guardian of which Ive no interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You need to follow what I'm repsonding to and not insolation. Someone said that they;d prefer the new Zelda be moved to NX only, I was responding I;d give up on Nintendo if they did do that, then enter some comment about sony and the last guardian of which Ive no interest.

Yep I probably would prefer that so it can be the best game possible. But it's not going to happen as Nintendo will make more money releasing on both platforms - so I don't think you'll need to give up on them just yet. :)

• Advertisement

I understand you were responding to Andrews comment
    It is easy to struggle with the recent debate and discussion due to the malignant effects and "contributions" by one particular user who managed to skew the discussion with deliberate intent.

But Andrew's point, and I hope he doesn't mind me expanding on it, is that an original LoZ title, made purely to the strengths of the NX would, undoubtedly, be a better game than one that is pitched at a common lowest common denominator, with the base hardware being the WiiU, a machine no better in terms of power than the PS3/Xbox 360.
    To put it in other terms,
    Would we be happy with Batman Arkham Knight or Fallout 4 is they were forced to make them for the PS3/360 and upscaled for the PS4/Xbox One?

Unfortunately, since the GC/Wii thing with LoZ we have come to accept that games are given rudimentary ports from one format to the other, Resi 4, Pikmin and it's sequel, Tennis and of course Twilight Princess.
    If LoZ had been released in 2015 when it was supposed to it would have been perfect, with a port to the NX later, but instead LoZ is being pitched as a launch game on the NX with a legacy release on the WiiU hardware, and this will come with inevitable compromises.
    Now, don't get me wrong, as a WiiU owner I would be happy to buy the new LoZ game, and I will certainly be picking it up as part of the launch package with my new NX next Spring, but the game will be a compromise, it won't be the defining Zelda title on the NX, that will come later it seems.

The WiiU got HD rereleases of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, with it's native LoZ title being this new LoZU or what ever it will be called, but don't be codded into believing that the NX version will be the best it can be, it simply won't, not without alienating the millions of WiiU owners who are waiting simply far too long for the games release.

Advertisement