Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Miyamoto's Failure - Bosman at Home Ep. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onScwrHP2g0

I used to really enjoy watching The Final Bosman. I don't remember anything I disagreed with in this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If something like this had been out for the WiiU, I'd have been all over it like white on rice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If something like this had been out for the WiiU, I'd have been all over it like white on rice.

Many have question why the fup Nintendo didn't just bite the bullet and produce a sprawling RPG, of a scale similar to Xenoblade Chronicles X, and populate it with Pokemon, cities with training guilds, the whole enchilada you'd have seen in the handheld games but this time you'd navigate the landscape and blah, blah, so on and so forth.
    They could have integrated the Amiibo cards with the game and sold millions more home consoles based on this franchise alone...
    But no.
    Instead we got Amiibo cards, integrated into a game no one wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

sligeach wrote: »
    Miyamoto's Failure - Bosman at Home Ep. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onScwrHP2g0

I used to really enjoy watching The Final Bosman. I don't remember anything I disagreed with in this video.

I'm really glad Bosman is still making videos after the collapse of Gametrailers.

This video in particular is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I understand you were responding to Andrews comment

It is easy to struggle with the recent debate and discussion due to the malignant effects and "contributions" by one particular user who managed to skew the discussion with deliberate intent.

But Andrew's point, and I hope he doesn't mind me expanding on it, is that an original LoZ title, made purely to the strengths of the NX would, undoubtedly, be a better game than one that is pitched at a common lowest common denominator, with the base hardware being the WiiU, a machine no better in terms of power than the PS3/Xbox 360.
    To put it in other terms,
    Would we be happy with Batman Arkham Knight or Fallout 4 is they were forced to make them for the PS3/360 and upscaled for the PS4/Xbox One?

Unfortunately, since the GC/Wii thing with LoZ we have come to accept that games are given rudimentary ports from one format to the other, Resi 4, Pikmin and it's sequel, Tennis and of course Twilight Princess.
    If LoZ had been released in 2015 when it was supposed to it would have been perfect, with a port to the NX later, but instead LoZ is being pitched as a launch game on the NX with a legacy release on the WiiU hardware, and this will come with inevitable compromises.
    Now, don't get me wrong, as a WiiU owner I would be happy to buy the new LoZ game, and I will certainly be picking it up as part of the launch package with my new NX next Spring, but the game will be a compromise, it won't be the defining Zelda title on the NX, that will come later it seems.

The WiiU got HD rereleases of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, with it's native LoZ title being this new LoZU or what ever it will be called, but don't be codded into believing that the NX version will be the best it can be, it simply won't, not without alienating the millions of WiiU owners who are waiting simply far too long for the games release.

Fair enough, but why they don't pull up their socks and start recruiting more very talented developers to create new teams is beyond me. They've got the money and they've got the draw that a lot of game developers would kill to work for them. Thats my argument focus on delivering lots of high quality products not abandoning the loyal fan base.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo have a massive first party output, with their teams beavering away, being the near soul producer of AAA titles for the WiiU for much of its lifespan, and keep in mind the development time for a modern title.
    Consider too the output on the 3DS and the undoubted fact that Nintendo development is now firmly focused upon making a stellar launch lineup for the NX.
    I don't see how much more Nintendo could be doing in terms of software.
    It's the 3rd parties that have dropped the ball, with a combination of poor marketing by Nintendo and poor opportunities for those 3rd parties to sell their software.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well having to spread their 1st party output over two consoles can't have helped neither. Specially when for one of them, 1st party is all it got except for some lame 3rd party support. Thats probably the same reason (or one of the same reasons) Sony dropped the PS Vita so fast, put all that time and energy into PS4/3 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You hear a lot about 1st party and 3rd party on the Wii U. Where's all the 2nd Party stuff? What even qualifies as 2nd party? Bayonetta and Starfox?

Well having to spread their 1st party output over two consoles can't have helped neither. Specially when for one of them, 1st party is all it got except for some lame 3rd party support. Thats probably the same reason (or one of the same reasons) Sony dropped the PS Vita so fast, put all that time and energy into PS4/3 instead.

Ubisoft well supported the console for a time, Activision too with several COD games making the crossing.
    In terms of indie releases that WiiU has also had its share of titles.
    Truth is, the WiiU just wasn't the console that the public wanted.
    It had fantastic content, if it was on the games alone that content is only now starting to be exceeded in terms of system exclusives elsewhere.
    But the Wii branding and the poor marketing resulted in a console that had no appeal beyond Ninty fans, and here we are.

EA made an early call to withdraw support, but even with annual Fifa, Madden and NfS releases they would have had all the appeal of the PS3/360 releases, but on a console that cost considerably more than either.

The WiiU was a bad call, but better branding and a more realistic price point at launch and it all might have been different.

Seeing good versions of Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, no reason the WiiU couldn't have hosted good ports of the current crop of titles, though when the visual bar on consoles is set at games like Dark Souls 3, was there ever any hope the WiiU could have done it justice, and without that type of release, why would a non Ninty fan bother buying a WiiU?

Banjo wrote: »
    You hear a lot about 1st party and 3rd party on the Wii U. Where's all the 2nd Party stuff? What even qualifies as 2nd party? Bayonetta and Starfox?

Basically, kind of
    You are the talking about where the likes of Rare used to be for Nintendo, exclusives for Nintendo consoles but wholly owned by someone other than Nintendo.
    Bayonetta 2 was a game developed by Platinum but funded by Nintendo and published by Nintendo, so a third party title published and funded by Nintendo themselves.
    Bloodborne had a similar status on the PS4, wholly developed by From Software but published by Sony and with the IP owned wholly by Sony too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retro Studios are the only one I can think of offhand that's count as a 2nd party game developer for Nintendo at the minute. So we had Tropical Freeze from them, and they helped out with some others (Mario Kart? ) but we're all waiting to hear what they do next, be that another Metroid or something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pokken Tournament outsold Street Fighter V in the US, despite Street Fighter being available on two platforms. I'm not a fan of Pokemon at all, although apparently the game is quite decent, but it's stats like that which show the lost oppOrtunity Nintendo had with the Wii U.

Maybe Nintendo are just releasing these as placeholders for the often mentioned the games re-release on their NeXt, hopefully more popular, console.

Perhaps too it's a sign of fatigue where SF is concerned, what are the sales like at present?

Street fighter also sold without half its content in an unfinished state it's worth pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Street fighter also sold without half its content in an unfinished state it's worth pointing out.

Absolutely, but still significant it outsold a AAA title released on double the platforms and possibly half the fanfare. Streetfighter is probably one of those games too, given the community, that a lot of people would have bought regardless. Capcom certainly were given a deserved kick in the ass in how they handled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's been very few second party games. Xenoblade Chronicles X by Monolith Soft is all I can think of besides what's been mentioned. Retro Studios are so slow at making games. 1 game on Wii U and not what people wanted. Next Level games, who made Mario Strikers Charged, PunchOut, Luigi's Mansion 2 and the forthcoming Metroid: Federation Force are developing exclusively for Nintendo now. Rumoured to be working on NX games but they made nothing for Wii U.

• Anyone Know how much CEX would give for the Wii U cash?

Hate to say it but it's been gathering dust since completing the Bayonetta Series.

That's literally how long it's been used for. Maybe 20 hours max. Mint condition.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone Know how much CEX would give for the Wii U cash?

Hate to say it but it's been gathering dust since completing the Bayonetta Series.

That's literally how long it's been used for. Maybe 20 hours max. Mint condition.

You can look it up on their website? Literally the exact amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Probably better off selling it privately than trading it in.

Adverts, taking into account the inevitable lowball offers, might be the quickest way to sell it on.
    But I'd say it might be tricky, given that everyone who wants one now has one and no one else is going to convinced to buy one, or it'll be a harder sell.
    In an age when it is possible to pick up a PS4 or XB1 second hand for around €250, or a new WiiU for around the same, you should probably be aiming a way lower than that :(

• Advertisement

• You can look it up on their website? Literally the exact amount.

There is nothing on the website for selling the Wii U that's why I asked here.

There is nothing on the website for selling the Wii U that's why I asked here.

https://ie.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=*&section=&catid=985

Right there? Under Wii U consoles.

• When you hover over the "Gaming" tab only the orignal Wii was listed so that's why I missed it.

See here;

https://ie.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=*&catid=796

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

When you hover over the "Gaming" tab only the orignal Wii was listed so that's why I missed it.

See here;

https://ie.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=*&catid=796

What games do you have MiCk/?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Don't do it Mick!!!

• OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What games do you have MiCk/?

Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Zombi U
    Why? You interested? ;)

• Pac1Man wrote: »
    Don't do it Mick!!!

I know but it's killing me that I'm not using it but I could really do with the cash.

Finally, I can play Splatoon online, after my brother did a bit of magic with my router!
    It's been a year since I could play it online and even then it was unpredictable if I would get thrown out due to the connection.
    Of course, I'm a n00b all over again, but it's still a lot of fun, a good reminder of how good at games Nintendo are and why we shouldn't count them out just yet.

Well, after he disappointment if hearing that 90s Arcade Racer is cancelled for the WiiU I banged off an email to the Yooka Laylee people asking about the WiiU version of that .
    Happily they confirmed the WiiU version is still on the way, partly due to the massive amount of supporters who were looking for the WiiU version, according to the email at least.
    Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, after he disappointment if hearing that 90s Arcade Racer is cancelled for the WiiU I banged off an email to the Yooka Laylee people asking about the WiiU version of that .
    Happily they confirmed the WiiU version is still on the way, partly due to the massive amount of supporters who were looking for the WiiU version, according to the email at least.
    Happy days!

Excellent! We need a bit of positive news.

Will there be physical versions available or are they only an option for those who backed the kickstarter?

Advertisement