Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

And the better news is - when you're done, you can pick up copies of the Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, both for the Wii, and enjoy even more Zelda goodness before the new Wii U game comes out.

So I have fiiiinally gotten round to playing Wind Waker......about 30 hours in......incredible!!

Ok I am a little new to the wonders of zelda, and never really finished link to the past, or phantom hourglass(I never owned a Nintendo console since the snes)but this has me hooked!

The scope of it is incredible. It still looks amazing. The controls have been a tad iffy at times but it really is one of the greatest games ever. The tingle bottles are a great idea and it seems plenty of people are still playing it.

It helps that I was out sick the past few days to put the time in, but if you haven't tried this yet and have a Wii U it's a must buy. On the selects range now too.

I love my Wii U

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just a quick one, how much should a second hand wiiU cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Xofpod wrote: »
    And the better news is - when you're done, you can pick up copies of the Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, both for the Wii, and enjoy even more Zelda goodness before the new Wii U game comes out.

How do they compare? The TP remake doesn't seem to have been too favourably received. Skyward Sword, can that be played on the gamepad alone? Is it on the E-Shop? Seems hard to find new on the Wii.

Wind Temple almost broke me last night. That little leafy dude is a total pain in the assssssssssss!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Both TP and SS, the Wii versions, will require the Wiimotes to work.
    The remake of TP for the WiiU or the original on the Gamecube, does not and is controlled in a more traditional manner.

Twilight Princess is felt, by some, to be the weakest of the 3D Legend of Zelda games, but that still makes it head and shoulders above most other games out there.
    It's a similar phenomenon to the opinions on Super Mario Sunshine. It might be the weakest of the 3D Mario titles, but it is still a far better game than anything out there, in terms of 3rd person platformers, on any other format, and I'd argue that's still the case.
    But still so few people have played either title, as "Nintendo games are for kids" believers continue to shoot themselves in the foot and miss out on the best games on the market today.

Skyward Swords is easily available, CEX have loads of them, albeit at €25 a pop Link to the Game
    Gamestop have it too, but they've jammed the price up to a testicle squeezing €34.99 for a preowned copy, though there should be a few new copies knocking around for €19.97.
    I seem to remember the CEX price being lower than that too, I reckon a certain E3 showcase of the new LoZ title has caused them to try exploiting the customer some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who wants a Metroid 2 fan remake

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ie/

Just released. Haven't played it yet. But maybe get it now before it's taken down.

Hope it's okay to post that here.
    I never played Metroid 2 so will try this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just a quick one, how much should a second hand wiiU cost?

We selling one with 6 games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We selling one with 6 games

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How much?

Will let you know tomorrow ....,,,its my sister asked me to put it on done deal for her

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably just post a link to the Donedeal ad.
    There's no selling on Boards forums unless the forum is specifically for sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze two weeks ago on eshop and haven't been able to play it yet. Needs an update and my Wii U won't connect to my horizon WiFi. Error 1603 or something. Nintendo just don't get the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sweetie wrote: »
    Bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze two weeks ago on eshop and haven't been able to play it yet. Needs an update and my Wii U won't connect to my horizon WiFi. Error 1603 or something. Nintendo just don't get the internet.

Wait until you do though. It's my favorite platformer on the Wii U, although i haven't played Rayman yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pac1Man wrote:
    Wait until you do though. It's my favorite platformer on the Wii U, although i haven't played Rayman yet.

Eh, but I can't!

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Looks like the sweetest game ever.
    Plays harder than Dark Souls!

sweetie wrote: »
    Eh, but I can't!

It's the best game ever.

Wait until you play it sweetie.

Best. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,630 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

*Ahem* I think Yoshi's Woolly World deserves a mention. Definitely a contender for Wii U's best platformer.

sligeach wrote: »
    *Ahem* I think Yoshi's Woolly World deserves a mention. Definitely a contender for Wii U's best platformer.

Definitely not! Waay too easy. Looks nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Both are on my "must buy when less poor and WiiU backlog is somewhat cleared" list to get.

Super Mario 3D World has to be up there though, amazing game.

Yoshi's Story was similarly criticised for being too easy, but it was a game like nothing else out there, and had plenty of reasons to play through it again.
    Yoshi's Wooly World is similar in this regard.

I found Yoshi's Island, on the Snes, to be an easy game too, plus quite linear compared to it's predecessor Super Mario World.
    But, like the others, it's a gorgeous game, with all sorts of lovely visual effects going on.

If you can't afford Wooly World right now, buy Kirby's Epic Yarn, it was cheap in Argos but it's no longer listed.
    You can get it from CEX for €18 though, link, and it'll play on your WiiU

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Definitely not! Waay too easy. Looks nice though.

I think it's a great game. It's gorgeous looking and has some real catchy music. Pleasantly surprised me and I'd give it a 9/10. The Special Levels are anything but easy and like a lot of Nintendo platformers now it gets more difficult at the end. The levels may be easy but collecting all the Wonder Wools, Smiley Flowers and Stamp Patches add to the challenge. I collected nearly everything it had to offer. There's something about it, it has a real calming, mellow tone to it even when you're getting battered by a Special Level. I'd definitely buy a sequel, Yoshi's Wibbly Wobbly Wondrous Wild Woolly World.

Is that going to have wool and jelly physics?
    NX Power!!

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    I think it's a great game. It's gorgeous looking and has some real catchy music. Pleasantly surprised me and I'd give it a 9/10. The Special Levels are anything but easy and like a lot of Nintendo platformers now it gets more difficult at the end. The levels may be easy but collecting all the Wonder Wools, Smiley Flowers and Stamp Patches add to the challenge. I collected nearly everything it had to offer. There's something about it, it has a real calming, mellow tone to it even when you're getting battered by a Special Level. I'd definitely buy a sequel, Yoshi's Wibbly Wobbly Wondrous Wild Woolly World.

Actual gameplay is what matters most to me, especially in a platformer. Looks and music take a firm back seat.

Personally I don't have an interest in collecting every item. I equate that to a dull side quest. Donkey Kong, Super Mario World and Shovel Knight (although not an exclusive) push my buttons more.

I enjoyed Yoshi for what it was but I actually preferred the Kirby game more. I really need to pick up Rayman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Woohoo!
    And I was just bidding on the game on ebay...
    Well, at least I know my upper limit.
    Plus, Smyth's has been best for Nintendo Selects, so that'll be Pikmin 3 for €24.99 !!!

Smyths have been the best bricks&mortar shop in Ireland. But you can save a few € online. Smyths are generally awful nowadays. They were good a number of years ago.

I don't know, the €9.99 copy of Deadpool would disagree with you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Argos gets my vote for best bricks&mortar, they always have regular discounts on games and consoles. If there's only a small saving with online prices then I just go Argos - couldn't be bothered waiting for shipping. They're also brilliant for returns (more likely with a console rather than a game I guess).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Argos gets my vote for best bricks&mortar, they always have regular discounts on games and consoles. If there's only a small saving with online prices then I just go Argos - couldn't be bothered waiting for shipping. They're also brilliant for returns (more likely with a console rather than a game I guess).

Agreed. Their line up can be limited at times, but their pricing and customer service are the best in terms of b&m shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think the main downside for argos is when they don't put the prices on site before release day. So if you're looking to get a game on release day you have to wait and see.
    Apart from that they are sometimes at least €5 cheaper than Smyths. And they do good offers on console bundles. Was where I got my PS4 bundle.

It's strange that Argos are now the best and Smyths aren't great anymore. It was the complete opposite years ago. They used to be like Gamestop are now but even worse. And speaking of Gamestop, they're a disgrace. The 1 dedicated video game shop left in Ireland and they fleece customers. With Argos, you could understand them not being great as video games are just one spoke on their wheel of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

My heart sank a little when I saw the Gamestop down here in Cork City is now a 'Gamestop +', which is basically 60% pop culture stuff, 40% video games. Not that I used to frequent in there all that much but just sad to see video game stores become something else.

Advertisement