Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Corholio wrote: »
    My heart sank a little when I saw the Gamestop down here in Cork City is now a 'Gamestop +', which is basically 60% pop culture stuff, 40% video games. Not that I used to frequent in there all that much but just sad to see video game stores become something else.

Can't imagine they have long left, this is another sign that they are doing anything just to make a bit of easy money before they inevitably close down. I'd love to see them turn it around, but going up against digital is pretty much impossible. Given the choice, kids/teens would take the digital copy over a disc, even if the physical copy cost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

At the Olympic Closing Ceremony The Prime Minister of Japan just 'came up' through a warp pipe from 'Tokyo' dressed as Mario.

This happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Corholio wrote: »
    At the Olympic Closing Ceremony The Prime Minister of Japan just 'came up' through a warp pipe from 'Tokyo' dressed as Mario.

This happened.

That was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Wii U. Remember that? :D

I was in Smyths today to take advantage of the Dark Souls 3 for €30 deal and I also picked up Terraria on the Wii U impulsively. I have no idea what to expect but I was drawn in by the trippy box art.

The cashier did the usual "you know this is for the Wii U?" in a what the fuk is wrong with you kind of way which always disappoints me a little as it reminds me just how badly the console was marketed.

Also next to me there were three young lads totally engrossed in the PS4 Fifa kiosk while Mario 3D World lay empty beside them. Shame.

It summed up this console generation in more ways than one within about 30 seconds. I left the shop a bit saddened* (yet happy with my gets).

*too strong of a word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Adventures in Tesco

WiiU, we haven't gotten any new wii games in years.
    No the wiiu, Nintendos new console.
    We don't stock new wii stuff anymore.

Adventures in Argos

Hi mr manager, do you think there will be any sales in the wiiu console in the next while?
    Not on the regular wii but the wii mini is only €99.

Adventures in Gamestop
    Do you have any wiiu?
    No, haven't had one in ages
    Can you get it from another store?
    No. I can ring one though.
    Thanks
    The only have two used ones and they're pin locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I picked up Disney Infinity for a tenner in Gamestop last week. The cashier looked at me like someone farted, and said "you know this is for the Wii U, right?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The toils of being a Nintendo fan.

Finally got around to getting Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Absolutely love it. Hard enough though!

It's wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Finally got around to getting Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Absolutely love it. Hard enough though!

I've raved on about it to the point of parody, but while I'd wage that DKC: Returns is an all-round ever-so-slightly better game, Tropical Freeze has my favorite platformer level of all time. Hell, one of my favourite levels of anything, frankly.

It's called Bopopolis, one of the unlockable post-game levels. There's, I think, like less than 10 actual platforms (which all collapse very quickly) in the whole level and the rest is zipping and bouncing off moving targets. All the while there's this remix of "Jungle Hi-Jinx" going on in the background that kicks into gear as you've cleared the first wave and a half and suddenly you're almost doing the percussion with your platforming, trying to navigate moves with the tiniest margin-of-error as your arms flare up with goosebumps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's such a beautiful game, but so hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Can't wait to get it, is it playable just on the gamepad?

On a side note, nephew is eyeing up a Wii U for xmas but the cheapest seems to be almost €300!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

On a side note, nephew is eyeing up a Wii U for xmas but the cheapest seems to be almost €300!!?

Second hand or be extorted for it. Unless Nintendo does a proper price drop themselves, which seems unlikely at this point. Which is funny since MS does a 4K capable Xbox One S for 300, and the PS4 slim will likely be below €300. Sigh.

Yes it's playable on the pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Cheers lads. It's barmy that Nintendo never went low cost (not counting the great deals some of us got when the basic model was phased out).

Maybe the cost of the gamepad made it impossible to offer a budget version?

Such a pity. If they played it right they would have cleaned up on kids graduating from Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

I'm contemplating buying an Ethernet adapter, the only problem is I have an ext Hard drive using the two USB ports on the back of the console, and I need the front two for smash so I'm stuck for space. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do? I wasn't sure if an sd would be appropriate and big enough? I've a good couple of games downloaded so space is a necessity.

CliCliW wrote: »
    I'm contemplating buying an Ethernet adapter, the only problem is I have an ext Hard drive using the two USB ports on the back of the console, and I need the front two for smash so I'm stuck for space. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do? I wasn't sure if an sd would be appropriate and big enough? I've a good couple of games downloaded so space is a necessity.

I'd the same issue re usb ports so I dug out a 250g hard drive that I had lying around that plugs into the wall. You can pick up one dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Gizmo55 wrote:
    I'd the same issue re usb ports so I dug out a 250g hard drive that I had lying around that plugs into the wall. You can pick up one dirt cheap.

That's not too bad actually! Hopefully we've another socket spare for it in that case! Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Finally got a Wii U Pro controller after years of deliberating.

What games have people found that work best with it?

I have most of the main Wii U games at this stage but wouldn't mind revisiting some with the new controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Finally got a Wii U Pro controller after years of deliberating.

What games have people found that work best with it?

I have most of the main Wii U games at this stage but wouldn't mind revisiting some with the new controller.

I play pretty much everything that gives me the choice on the pro controller. The gamepad is great, but the battery life is very short! Mario Kart, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, the virtual console stuff, all great on the pro!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As pasta says, use the Pro controller for everything that doesn't require the use of the gamepad screen. It's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is TP better without the remote?

I remember loving using it to aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wouldn't say better, just different. If you're using the gamepad, you can use the accelerometers to aim, but not with the Pro Controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Shantae half genie hero is being delayed by 6 weeks

- Update on Release Date

First things first – we are going to have to adjust our Target Release Date, moving it back from our 9/27 Target Release date by about 6 weeks, give or take. We know this will disappoint some of you, but we feel that it’s necessary to take that extra time for bug fixing and adding additional polish. We know you want the final product to be excellent and so do we! Thanks for your patience and support as we approach the finish line

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1669641

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not wii u related, just Nintendo, but was watching Secret Life Of Pets. Fun movie and they had a nod to Mario by
    using a turtle to take out bad guys

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Mario 3D World and Captain Toad and some others being released on Nintendo Select range at the end of the month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think someone else here mentioned Fast Racing Neo was getting a physical release - Amazon have it up for pre-order. Out Sept 30th on the eShop Selects range, link.

510bpz5M3lL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anyone know what it costs to have the screen replaced on wii u gamepad? little fella dropped it and it appears to be gone!!
    Also can it be done in one of those mobile phone repair shop type places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Triboro wrote: »
    Anyone know what it costs to have the screen replaced on wii u gamepad? little fella dropped it and it appears to be gone!!
    Also can it be done in one of those mobile phone repair shop type places?

I got mine fixed recently enough from this crowd in cork
    http://www.ielectron.ie/repair-services/game-consol-repairs/nintendo-ds-psp-ps-vita-repairs?gclid=CKas7NGZ-84CFYiT7QodxeQNmQ i had screen damage on mine, like the lcd was damaged in two places & they repaired it for 92 euros including delivery. Send them an email or rang them and they will give you a quote for repair. i think my fix was quoted as 79eur and then after they fix it they add 13eur for the corriour. I was quite happy with the job they did, but i noticed that they must have used a second hand LCD to fix my old one as i noticed a very small part of the top left of the screen has a black line that cuts the corner into an almost triangle shape. but its hardly noticable and i couldnt be bothered to send it back, but they were cheaper then sending it to nintendo uk. But overall happy with the job they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

I got mine fixed recently enough from this crowd in cork
    http://www.ielectron.ie/repair-services/game-consol-repairs/nintendo-ds-psp-ps-vita-repairs?gclid=CKas7NGZ-84CFYiT7QodxeQNmQ i had screen damage on mine, like the lcd was damaged in two places & they repaired it for 92 euros including delivery. Send them an email or rang them and they will give you a quote for repair. i think my fix was quoted as 79eur and then after they fix it they add 13eur for the corriour. I was quite happy with the job they did, but i noticed that they must have used a second hand LCD to fix my old one as i noticed a very small part of the top left of the screen has a black line that cuts the corner into an almost triangle shape. but its hardly noticable and i couldnt be bothered to send it back, but they were cheaper then sending it to nintendo uk. But overall happy with the job they did.

Thanks, may have to try that as it seems they are not available to buy seperately.

Advertisement