Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Minecraft: Story Mode – The Complete Adventure on the way to Wii U

A few episodes of Minecraft: Story Mode can be found on the Wii U eShop. But sometime soon, the full set will come to Nintendo’s console as a physical release.

Listings for Minecraft: Story Mode – The Complete Adventure have been located in both North America and Europe. PEGI rated the package today, and GameFly recently put up a listing as well. If the retailer’s listing is accurate, Minecraft: Story Mode – The Complete Adventure launches in North America on December 13.

http://nintendoeverything.com/minecraft-story-mode-the-complete-adventure-on-the-way-to-wii-u/

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=56881#searchresults

http://m.gamefly.com/game/Minecraft-Story-Mode-The-Complete-Adventure/5011708

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I don't agree with much of the order. I'd rip Pokken Tournament out and drop kick it into oblivion. Where's The Wonderful 101? DKC: TF does seem very low but so do other games. 100% agree with number 1 for a whole host of reasons. MK8 while brilliant, its Battle Mode is borked beyond belief, it's the only thing holding it back(that and added voicechat in races). Imagine what MK8.1 could sell on Switch with a rounded out Battle Mode and a few added extras. $$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't agree with much of the order. I'd rip Pokken Tournament out and drop kick it into oblivion. Where's The Wonderful 101? DKC: TF does seem very low but so do other games. 100% agree with number 1 for a whole host of reasons. MK8 while brilliant, its Battle Mode is borked beyond belief, it's the only thing holding it back(that and added voicechat in races). Imagine what MK8.1 could sell on Switch with a rounded out Battle Mode and a few added extras. $$

Wasn't there an announcement on twitter about extra MK8 dlc ? My guess the extra Wii U stuff got shelved and moved to NX ... err Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't agree with much of the order. I'd rip Pokken Tournament out and drop kick it into oblivion. Where's The Wonderful 101? DKC: TF does seem very low but so do other games. 100% agree with number 1 for a whole host of reasons. MK8 while brilliant, its Battle Mode is borked beyond belief, it's the only thing holding it back(that and added voicechat in races). Imagine what MK8.1 could sell on Switch with a rounded out Battle Mode and a few added extras. $$$

I didn't click on the video, because I'd generally rather had a list as a text list, rather than an x minute long video.

What's wrong with Pokken tho? I played a bunch of it up at Celtic Throwdown for the first time in LAN mode, and it was super fun.

I'd pick it up if it wasn't stubbornly full price and if I didn't already own a thousand billion fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I couldn't be any less of a Pokemon fan, while without any slurs towards it, but I really enjoyed Pokken Tournament. Very surprisingly good and holds it's own against other modern fighters definitely. Well worth it's place in a 20 list.

Tropical Freeze is very low though, one of the best modern platformers imo. Axiom Verge was good but I didn't get the whole hype about it, I don't know was it because it looked so much like a retro platformer. It's general play wasn't hugely exciting imo. Not having Wonderful 101 there is a big oversight, one of the most underrated games in recent years definitely and probably my favourite game on the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I could never get into 101 strangely. It felt very 'Platinum Games' which I'm not sure is as much of a compliment as it used to be. They all feel like reskins of each other now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I could never get into 101 strangely. It felt very 'Platinum Games' which I'm not sure is as much of a compliment as it used to be. They all feel like reskins of each other now.

I understand people not getting into it, but I think there's a point during playing it for a while where it just clicks, certainly did for me and it became the most enjoyable game on the Wii U. I've no idea what a game like W101 could be a reskin of though, and Platinums last few games have been quite different from each other (Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, TMNT etc)

Personally, they are a company I hope keep doing what they are doing and hopefully get more sales than they did for W101 and Bayonetta, rather criminally imo.

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Wasn't there an announcement on twitter about extra MK8 dlc ? My guess the extra Wii U stuff got shelved and moved to NX ... err Switch.

Yes. This. It was implied though never promised on Wii U.

As soon as I seen Mario Kart in the Switch reveal video I thought of this Tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Surprised to see New Super Mario Bros U get a look in. It's a solid but meh entry that only really has the Van Gogh inspired world going for it. Doesn't help it was completely outshined by Super Luigi U.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see Lost in Shadow is coming to the Wii VC in the States. Is it available here?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see Lost in Shadow is coming to the Wii VC in the States. Is it available here?

Yes it's already on the VC here.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Ya it came out a month or 2 ago. It has a different name in Europe, here it's called A Shadow's Tale. From what I recall it's not a great game and of course Nintendo use the one size fits all and are charging €20 for it. :rolleyes:

Here's the boxart for Minecraft: Story Mode The Complete Adventure (Nintendo Wii U)

WU196.jpg

Minecraft: Story Mode The Complete Adventure

• BE THE HERO OF A GRAND ADVENTURE IN THE MINECRAFT UNIVERSE!
    • Created by award-winning adventure game powerhouse Telltale Games, in partnership with Minecraft creators, Mojang
    • All eight episodes in the series on one disc for the first time, all five episodes of Season One and all three episodes of the Adventure Pass
    • Discover a dreadful truth as you embark on a perilous quest across the Overworld, to the End, and beyond to find The Order of the Stone
    • Your decisions - what you say and do - drive the story around you
    • Includes additional episode feature content (Episode six features YouTube Minecraft legends Captain Sparklez, Stampy Cat,LDShadowLady, StacyPlays, and DanTDM), and more.

http://www.graingergames.co.uk/games/nintendo-wii-u/wu196-minecraft-story-mode-the-complete-adventure-

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Here's a another good retro video from Digital Foundry, about Metro Prime this time:

Wasn't aware there was a kiosk demo version of it and really interesting seeing the wire-frame view of the game and how impressive a job Retro Studios did locking in 60fps at the time. He's playing it on a custom version of the Dolphin emulator which seems to do a good job - presumably that means it supports keyboard & mouse? Haven't used Dolphin before.

I remember playing it back when it came out on the Cube - really was blown away by the move to 3D - the atmosphere was amazing and it just played so well it felt like a natural progression for the series. It probably helped that it had been an age since the previous Metroid game too. Just as impressive as Zelda jumping to 3D on the N64 and from a 3rd party studio too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I recall buying too on release.
    It was incredible.
    So many people just couldn't see it.
    The games playing world was, by and large, strung out on Halo and didn't seem to have room for Metroid Prime.
    But the way the game transitioned the style of play from Super Metroid to the first person format, the way the areas reflected chaos and and a collision between the organic and the mechanical, between growth of familiar and unfamiliar things, the ruins, the labs, the overgrown interiors and exteriors, just amazing.
    Even the traditional opener, learning to navigate the world with the GC pad, the weightless environment of the station and then the gravity switches back on, stunning.
    Yeah Andrew, dead right, that Nintendo trusted a third party with it, that Retro made the best game possible, coupled with so many welcome surprises.
    Makes me want to go back and play it again!

Metroid Prime is great but it's far from perfect. To me it's not 100% Metroid. Several of Samus's abilities are either missing or severely nerfed in the transition from 2D to 3D. She also moves like a tank and has no agility. And there's a reason why they first tried to make this game from the third person perspective. The team couldn't handle it though so it moved to first person. The ideal game would mix both views and not just on the morph ball. Metroid: Other Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was also one of the first games to perfect First person platforming. Was rae that I missed a platform that I could reach.

Speaking of firsts, another thing I was wondering: Is Ocarina of time the first game to use gravity to progress in a game in the way Link had to jump from the top level of the Deku tree to bust through the cobweb?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Metroid Prime is great but it's far from perfect. To me it's not 100% Metroid. Several of Samus's abilities are either missing or severely nerfed in the transition from 2D to 3D. She also moves like a tank and has no agility. And there's a reason why they first tried to make this game from the third person perspective. The team couldn't handle it though so it moved to first person. The ideal game would mix both views and not just on the morph ball. Metroid: Other Prime.

I think you are in a lonely place there with that harsh opinion.

For me the game took the first person perspective and applied it effectively to platforming, a feat games still fail to do.
    The pace of the game was always going to be different from Super Metroid, and her abilities have always varied from title to title, with Prime being no different.
    As for the third person, the choice of perspective made it all the more effective at placing you there, in the middle of a ruined world and a hive of Space Pirate activity, as smooth as butter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever.

Playing Bayonetta 2 at the moment. It is without a doubt the most visually impressive game I have played. Some of the boss battles are incredible especially when Bayonetta takes the form of a humongous beast, of similar size to the enemy.

If you can imagine an artist spending months creating the most detailed, gargantuan demon their imagination allows them to think of; Bayonetta 2 dishes those out regularly. Except there's two of them. And they are battling each other within a colourful and glitzy Blitzkrieg!

The end of a very short era.
    The final Wii U will roll off Nintendo's production line this week

Nintendo will end Wii U production this Friday, multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

At the last official count, as of 30th September, Nintendo had shipped 13.36m Wii U consoles. The Wii U's final tally will likely now be only slightly more.

For comparisons sake, GameCube sold 21m. N64 sold 32m. Wii sold 101m.

Nintendo's Japanese production line will shut down for the last time this week after the final deadline for orders passed yesterday, Eurogamer understands. Only a small number of further orders were placed.

Wii U launched back in November 2012 and quickly shifted a couple of million units, although sales have been steady to slow ever since.

For the 12 months ending 31st March 2017, Nintendo forecasted it would ship just 800k Wii U units. 560k of those had already been shifted as of 30th September, suggesting a further 240k will have been produced since then, as of this Friday, to round out the console for good.

The last year or so has seen Nintendo, behind the scenes at least, shift its focus to the future. The company's upcoming Nintendo Switch console is still four months away from launch.

Nintendo has said it won't reveal more Switch details until an event on 13th January, although Eurogamer has pinned down the fact it will have a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen.

Nintendo declined to comment when contacted about this article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

What's that quote about the star and the burning and the quickness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The ol girl will always hold a place under my tv in the sitting room. I'd love to get my hands of the very last one ever produced it will be worth a fortune in twenty years when everyone realises it was the best console of the generation with the best games.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VelcroGhost

I like to think this is Nintendo's response to all the millions(?) of people who thought 'I'll pick one up when it drops in price', and Nintendo are going 'No you bloody won't! If you didn't want it then, you can't have it now'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Good night sweet prince. You were too good for this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Are most of you planning to make the *sunglasses* Switch?

Advertisement