Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Are most of you planning to make the *sunglasses* Switch?

I think I'll wait a while. I still have a heap of stuff to play and buy. Buying another console will stifle my budget further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You know what else goes with Switch?
    *sunglasses*
    Pizza!

It's a "Wii" bit sad to think the Wii U is done and dusted... If only because either the AC or the gamepad screen have been lucky to survive as long as they did, and I don't want to see this sold for parts when they eventually go. God damn it, I only got it plugged into a HDMI port a few weeks ago. It's too soooooon!

(What... no one watches Uncle Grandpa any more?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm on my third or is it my forth Gamepad charger(blasted noodle neck connection)? Second on my other Wii U. And the screens are looking worse for wear. You can see a whole series of little circles from typing on the virtual keyboard. Never used any screen protectors.
    Nintendo Insists That Wii U Production Will Continue Beyond This Week
    "There is no change to our continuing [Wii U] production"

Yesterday we - like a great many other gaming sites - reported on a rumour which claimed that Wii U production was stopping this Friday.

However, Japanese site IT Media has been in touch with a spokesperson from Nintendo who has said the reports are "not true" and that the console will continue to be manufactured:

There is no change to our continuing [Wii U] production. Even though the Nintendo Switch is slated to go on sale, [Wii U] production is scheduled to continue.

A few months ago Japanese newspaper Nikkei ran a report claiming production of the struggling system would be coming to a close at the end of the year, something Nintendo refuted at the time. The company's next console, the Nintendo Switch, launches in March 2017.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nintendo_insists_that_wii_u_production_will_continue_beyond_this_week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Probably, most likely the silliest time to buy a Wii U, but I just did and I'm in love. It's one tidy bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Everyone likes the Wii U. Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone likes the Wii U. Everyone.

I'm not so sure, we have had a few haters through this forum over the years.
    They seemed mostly annoyed at the lack of Fifa or Uncharted tbh.
    That and thought that the console was "for kids".

But, it would seem it is the console of good taste and, while there have been missteps, lazy 3rd party ports, Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, the bulk of 1st party stuff has been essential gaming to the last.
    It's morr disappointing to consider how many people won't play them.

I'm not a fan of the position that Nintendo should go software only, but consider the sales if MK8 and Super Mario 3D World were released on PS4/XB1, they'd certainly be huge.

Hopefully the Switch will bring some people back to the Nintendo fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, we have had a few haters through this forum over the years.
    They seemed mostly annoyed at the lack of Fifa or Uncharted tbh.
    That and thought that the console was "for kids".

But, it would seem it is the console of good taste and, while there have been missteps, lazy 3rd party ports, Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, the bulk of 1st party stuff has been essential gaming to the last.
    It's morr disappointing to consider how many people won't play them.

I'm not a fan of the position that Nintendo should go software only, but consider the sales if MK8 and Super Mario 3D World were released on PS4/XB1, they'd certainly be huge.

Hopefully the Switch will bring some people back to the Nintendo fold.

Everyone was. Those people in denial. The Wii U is outselling all the competition, hooray! What's this, metroid prime 5? After metroid prime 4 was so good, sign me up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone was. Those people in denial. The Wii U is outselling all the competition, hooray! What's this, metroid prime 5? After metroid prime 4 was so good, sign me up!

You've been at the bug powder again...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hi,
    I have a Wii U bought for my kid in June of this year, so it's quite new.
    Over the summer I bought him the Star Wars The Force Awakens game.
    All other games we have work just fine.

With the Star Wars game, every time he would get to a specific point in the game, it would freeze and the only thing to do was to eject the disk and force reboot the console. Same point in the game every time so I thought the disc was flawed and exchanged it for a new one at Smyths.
    Put the new disc in, and a few weeks later (not right away mind you!), the freeze issue is happening again, but never in the same spot in the game, so now I'm thinking the issue might be with the console.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Make sure there's enough ventilation for the console, that it's not sitting on top of something that'd be generating heat, and doesn't have stuff on top of it.

Maybe check that there's no dust in the fan on the back, or nothing preventing it from spinning. I know mine used to freeze on occasion, and giving the vent a little bit of a clean with the vacuum sorted it.

• Advertisement

Looks Like Nintendo Has A Sense Of Humour About The Wii U's Failure

"Great artists aren’t always appreciated in their own time”

Nintendo is used to success - it is responsible for some of the most popular video game franchises of all time, and has produced consoles and handhelds which have sold millions upon millions of units. However, like any firm with a history that stretches back more than 100 years, it isn't immune from failure, and its most recent home system has been one of its most high-profile duds.

However, Nintendo clearly has a sense of humour about such things. Just as it playfully referenced the Virtual Boy in Tomodachi Life and WarioWare, it has slipped a cute comment about the Wii U into the recent Animal Crossing: New Leaf update.
    CwfA1CsUAAAeknR.jpg:small

It's certainly true that the Wii U hasn't had the appreciation that it deserves, especially with titles like Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. in its library. In the future we'll no doubt see these games re-released and remastered, and hopefully they'll reach an even wider audience. For now, they remain exclusive to the 13 million people who were brave enough to take the plunge with Nintendo's dual-screen home console.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/looks_like_nintendo_has_a_sense_of_humour_about_the_wii_us_failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

You can get them from Fortune Cookies? Aw man, there goes my play coins. I was saving them for Streetpass battle.

If anyone wants to give me a sly console for one of the two new animal crossing games, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I hadn't realized how you get them! Means I gotta check the fortune cookies daily now too!

Aqua TV (Wii U) Nintendo eShop - European trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxZuKlJC6ms
    owyS1qJbpiXtyeBM.jpg:small

It's a fully interactive 3D aquarium and arrives next Thursday on the Wii U eShop, costs €4.70.

"You can choose fish and decorate with beautiful ornaments and wallpapers. Expand the possibilities with extra packs featuring more fish and new decoration sets. You can even populate a virtual reef."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's definitely dead then.

Nintendo Confirms Wii U Production Is Coming To A Close

Coming clean

Nintendo has officially confirmed that production of its Wii U console is coming to an end.

The announcement comes via the company's Japanese site, which has the message "近日生産終了予定" or "production is scheduled to end soon" on its Wii U page.

This news comes just over a week after rumours hit the web that final orders had been placed for the system. Nintendo initially denied the reports.

At the last count, the Wii U had sold 13.36 million units worldwide, making it one of Nintendo's lowest-selling home systems.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nintendo_confirms_wii_u_production_is_coming_to_a_close

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-wii-u-production-is-ending-1788802568

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

At the last count, the Wii U had sold 13.36 million units worldwide, making it one of Nintendo's lowest-selling home systems.

By stating "one of" instead of "the", have they revived the "Virtual Boy: Home or Portable console?" debate?

NINTENDO OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES WII U PRODUCTION IS ENDING

Time for a switch.

UPDATE: A Nintendo representative has further clarified the end of Wii U production, providing the following statement to IGN:
    “As recently posted by Nintendo on the Wii U website in Japan, Wii U production will end in the near future for the Japanese domestic market. We have nothing to announce in terms of exact timing.

We can confirm that as of today, all Wii U hardware that will be made available in the North American market for this fiscal year has already been shipped to our retail partners. We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/11/10/nintendo-officially-announces-wii-u-production-is-ending-in-japan

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

So from here on out it'll be much harder to get games at reasonable prices for the console. I'm disappointed. I still haven't gotten pokken, xeboblade x, Tokyo mirage sessions, and a couple of others and likely won't get a chance this side of Christmas to get them. Moreso for collectability than anything but with the intention of playing them at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

• Advertisement

Darksiders Warmastered Edition - Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPEsg_L0FY
    "On November 22, Darksiders Warmastered Edition will release on Sony's Playstation®4, and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The PC version will be released on November 29, and Nintendo's Wii U™ version (both retail and digital) will follow at a later stage. Information on the release date will follow soon."

It's like Christmas has been cancelled. You can't buy the NES Classic Mini anywhere, Nintendo have nothing for the Wii U and now this. It's so disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is there a knack to doing the howling stones in Twilight Princess? Haven't been able to unlock any yet and now I need to do one to
    unlock the sacred grove.

I just assumed up until now I wasn't able to unlock them while in the twilight but not the case. I'm hitting the right notes, as far as I can tell, especially since when it replays over my notes, it matches.

Edit: Finally got it working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Only started it but not good first impressions. Fishing, the horse, and that stupid bird are all painful so far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Has anyone played Lego Dimensions on Wii U? The starter pack is quite cheap in Argos at the mo, and comes with a free add on pack. Tempted, but its been a while since I played a Lego game. I like the humour, but the gameplay got old fast. Is this one any good? Getting actual lego with it is a huge bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

sligeach wrote: »
    Darksiders Warmastered Edition - Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPEsg_L0FY
    "On November 22, Darksiders Warmastered Edition will release on Sony's Playstation 4, and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The PC version will be released on November 29, and Nintendo's Wii U version (both retail and digital) will follow at a later stage. Information on the release date will follow soon."

It's like Christmas has been cancelled. You can't buy the NES Classic Mini anywhere, Nintendo have nothing for the Wii U and now this. It's so disappointing!

+1

They knew that there would be a huge demand. Nintendo really need to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This is the first Christmas in years and years there is no game/console that I really, really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This is the first Christmas in years and years there is no game/console that I really, really want.

Cex have the mini NES for €140. Bargain! :pac:

The Last Guardian and Mario Maker for the 3DS are the ones I'm after.
    As for consoles, I know what you mean, though I'll probably be on the look out for a new stick for my Megadrive and Snes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm picking up captain toad. Been wanting it since launch but had other things to play. I reckon it'll be a good chill out game with a glass of vino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Captain toad is quality. I got Pikmin 3 if I have Twilight Princess finished by then

Advertisement