Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Captain toad is quality. I got Pikmin 3 if I have Twilight Princess finished by then

Pikmin is the other big one left on my list to buy but I have several unplayed unopened games for Wii U before I buy it. Mario Maker is the last Wii U game I gave time to.

Destiny on PS4 robbed pretty much all my game time for the last 3 years and more recently the remaster of COD 4 on ps4 hasn't helped. I'm a sucker for an FPS.

I still have the new starfox and xenoblade unopened in boxes. I know for shame, for shame.

If I'm honest xenoblade a playtime scares me and I'm afraid I won't like the new motion controls on starfox. I will play both at some point I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So you're scared of playtime on Xenoblade yet have spent much of your past few years across 2 FPSs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So you're scared of playtime on Xenoblade yet have spent much of your past few years across 2 FPSs?

If he wants to trim down his playtime to game ratio even more, he should get into Monster Hunter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yup.

FPS games always get me on the one more go scenario. I have well over 300 hours in Destiny. I always tell myself that I'll only play one or two games of pvp or even pve and then end up playing for 3 hours.

RPGs for me are an all day kind of game of played on console. I like to be able to sit and play for 8 hours straight and with kids and work etc these days it's hard to do that. Easier to stop start with and FPS.

RPGs are best suited to handheld for me. I played persona 4 golden on Vita not so long ago because I could put it on standby and come back to it. The vita makes stop start way easier.

Excuses excuses I know but that's the case for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must say, I'm very reluctant to buy any WiiU games digitally in the sale, seeing as they're locked to the console and that machine being soon replaced.
    They really need to reassure the punters that an EShop purchase like that will transfer to the Switch if the game is ported to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I must say, I'm very reluctant to buy any WiiU games digitally in the sale, seeing as they're locked to the console and that machine being soon replaced.
    They really need to reassure the punters that an EShop purchase like that will transfer to the Switch if the game is ported to it.

All my stuff on Wii U is digital except for Bayonetta 2. Not knowing what the story is regarding transferring to Nintendo Switch has stopped me buying stuff recently. Kind of in limbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

digital on WiiU is a bad idea. Trade in value for WiiU games is brilliant. I've spend so little on getting through most of my games. Sometimes I even made a couple of quid profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, quesion for yis, if yis don't mind.

I've flip all space left on my WiiU.

If I delete a game (NSMBU), can I re-download it again? Like, is it attached to my account somehow?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads, quesion for yis, if yis don't mind.

I've flip all space left on my WiiU.

If I delete a game (NSMBU), can I re-download it again? Like, is it attached to my account somehow?

You can re-download it on the same Wii-U again. It's tied to the console not your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You can re-download it on the same Wii-U again. It's tied to the console not your account.

Cool, thanks.

Wanted to play Call of Duty, but although it's listed on the eshop, it says "contact your local retailer"!

Might get FIFA 13. Hmm, do I have €69.99 in my account?

Flip sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Andrew76 wrote: »

Actually it's tied to your account not your console. But your account is tied to the console. Effectively the same thing but Nintendo can move the account (and game) to a different console.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

But, because that almost sounds sane, there is a caveat - while your game belongs to your account your save data has all been convolved to your console, so if say your console breaks and you are unable to commit a console - to - console data migration you can contact Nintendo to move your account from one console to the other but you lose all your save data. It's very annoying if it's a game like Donkey Kong or Mario where you slaved for hours to beat those levels but if it's something like Pokémon it's like having several hundred deaths in the family. It is that feeling when Alderaan explodes and you sense millions of tiny voices cry out "Piiiiiikaaaaaaa....!" and then are silenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

A peak at shovel knights new update coming next year from the games conferance:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Shantae 1/2 genie hero releasing on the 27th

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/807294805533298688

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Taken a couple of years but caved and picked up a U on eBay this morning, being honest I can't see past around a dozen games but given the used pricing now I should get the console and games I want for around €250 and a year or two use, looking forward to the XMas break and HD Nintendo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Can anyone recommend a good usb y cable?

I bought one already on Amazon and it doesn't work. When I plug in one cable, it gets detected but obviously I get the error saying it was disconnected after I try to do any write operations.
    When I plug in both wires, it just doesn't get picked up.

Similarly, when I plug the hard drive into my laptop, with one cable in, it gets picked up, but as soon as I plug in the 2nd cable, it gets disconnected. Not sure if its a faulty cable, a low quality cable, or if that's the expected functionality and I'm doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'd complain to amazon that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well it's the first time I've used a USB Y cable so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. It's like Windows detects the 2nd USB being inserted and thinks its another USB device, and then there's some kind of conflict or something. But like I said, it happens with the Wii U as well.
    Ye I might complain and see if they'll send me another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

slave1 wrote: »
    Taken a couple of years but caved and picked up a U on eBay this morning, being honest I can't see past around a dozen games but given the used pricing now I should get the console and games I want for around €250 and a year or two use, looking forward to the XMas break and HD Nintendo
    Probably is only a dozen must haves, bit most of these you could easily put a few hundred hours into without getting even slightly bored of them. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Bombshell time. Absolutely gutted.
    Yooka-Laylee cancelled for Wii U due to "unforeseen technical issues"
    PC, PS4, Xbox One versions launch April. Switch version planned.

The Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee has been cancelled, with developer Playtonic blaming "unforeseen technical issues". The studio is now looking at releasing a version for Nintendo Switch instead.

Playtonic will now launch Yooka-Laylee for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only on 11th April 2017, as per a release date we spotted on the Xbox store overnight.

Nintendo fans - including those who backed the game on Kickstarter specifically for a Wii U copy - must now move their pledge to another platform or wait for news of the Nintendo Switch version - something which Playtonic has said it will announce details of in "early 2017".

The cancellation of Yooka-Laylee's Wii U edition will come as a blow to fans hoping to see the key talent behind N64 Rare platformers such as Banjo-Kazooie back on a Nintendo console. The game is a nostalgia-soaked love letter to this era - but one which will no longer arrive on perhaps its most natural home.

In an FAQ posted to Playtonic's official site, the developer apologised and said it had explored "every possible avenue" and that the studio had worked "tirelessly over many months in attempt to solve" the problem.

Backers who simply want a refund will be able to contact Playtonic to do so, via kickstarter@playtonicgames.com

"We're sad to announce that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we have encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release Yooka-Laylee on Wii U as initially planned," Playtonic studio director Gavin Price confirmed in a statement to Eurogamer.

"We can however confirm today that we are working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We're thrilled to be able to explore the opportunity and more details will be shared in early 2017.

"Of course, any backers who pledged for the Wii U version will be able to move their pledge to any of the versions launching on April 11th or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further

"Of course, any backers who pledged for the Wii U version will be able to move their pledge to any of the versions launching on April 11th or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017. Thanks again for your incredible support."

In other Yooka-Laylee news, Playtonic has opened pre-orders of the game on PC, PS4 and Xbox One and set a final price - £34.99 (or $39.99/€39.99). This is significantly higher than the game's cost to Kickstarter backers, meaning that those who pledged early will get the game at a discount.

Pre-order customers will unlock the Toybox demo previously available to backers when they pre-order.

Wii U backers who keep their pledge and move it to PC, PS4 or Xbox One will keep their original pledge price.

Physical versions of the game will also be available on PS4 and Xbox One. Backers who wish to upgrade their pledge to a physical copy rather than digital will soon be able to do so.

Finally, Playtonic has released a new look at one of Yooka-Laylee's later worlds. Watch it above.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-yooka-laylee-cancelled-for-wii-u-due-to-unforeseen-technical-issues

I was so looking forward to this. Was one of the first backers on Kickstarter. The Wii U has been such an unmitigated disaster and disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

There aren't words for how disappointed I am honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

TBH, I'm kinda glad that they're bringing it to the Switch instead. What I'm not happy about is the way that they've stated backers can change to another platform free of charge, or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Unforseen technical issues. Riiight.

It makes sense from a business point of view but it's yet another hearty kick in the balls for Wii U owners.

Not Nintendo's fault this time though (presuming they had no influence here).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well that's a pile of sh1te.
    I had a message from them months ago assuring me that the WiiU was on course.
    It simply was economically viable to release it for the WiiU, pity they don't have the guts to just say so.
    I'll probably take the PS4 version instead.
    But tragic that one of the launch consoles isn't a Nintendo, given that the game is a tribute to games that first shone on the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

B1RcaHeCIAE_Ybx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hardly that much of a surprise to be honest. A lot has happened since Playtonic's last update. I was more surprised they were as forward as they were promising it was coming to the Wii U, considering the NX's imminent announcement at the time. If it's technical it's probably down to Unity right? If it's not it just makes sense to get it out there on a new console rather than one who's lifetime is up. No one should be surprised with Kickstarter projects by now really, the biggest names and developers (Playtonic, Igarashi, Inafune) have all delays and problems regardless of how much money is raised. I'm glad the game will still be released on Switch, possibly sooner than we may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Star Lord wrote: »
    TBH, I'm kinda glad that they're bringing it to the Switch instead. What I'm not happy about is the way that they've stated backers can change to another platform free of charge, or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version

Thats what irks me the most. Nevermind the switch version being months later than every other platform no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The thing is a lot their money earned from the Kickstarter was from Nintendo fans. Without us, I'm not sure this game would be happening or even as big. I don't buy the "unseen technical issues" line at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The unseen issues is they didnt expect the wii u to be dead and buried by the time the game was ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If the game is out in April it makes no sense to release it on the Wii U, it's perhaps Playtonic lack of foresight in that regard. The Switch will be out a month and it would be a big oversight to have a very anticipated game come out on a previous generation. The delay in the game and the emergence of the Switch makes it a no-brainer to be honest. How they handle the customer changeover to the Switch is, however, another thing.

Advertisement