Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Sure it makes sense from a business perspective, but as others have said, they've made plenty of money from advertising it as a Wii U game. I am pretty sure those Wii Us are still around, and sales had already flatlined when they were previously lauding it as a Wii U game. I wasn't that pushed by the game personally, but still think it's a total d!ck move by Playtonic and I won't be forgetting their name anytime soon for all the wrong reasons.

Although I see now they are offering full refunds to Wii U owners. Not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »
    If the game is out in April it makes no sense to release it on the Wii U, it's perhaps Playtonic lack of foresight in that regard. The Switch will be out a month and it would be a big oversight to have a very anticipated game come out on a previous generation. The delay in the game and the emergence of the Switch makes it a no-brainer to be honest. How they handle the customer changeover to the Switch is, however, another thing.

A month later?

Let's look back at the p4 launch...

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_Titles

There's at least one similar situation in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

/\/ollog wrote: »
    A month later?

Let's look back at the p4 launch...

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_Titles

There's at least one similar situation in there.

I'm not sure I'm quite catching your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm not sure I'm quite catching your point?

It didn't make those developers switch console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It didn't make those developers switch console.

Was there a brand new eagerly awaited game that switched from PS3 to PS4? I genuinely don't know but I'd be surprised if it was anything like Playtonic situation

Big difference between PS3 and Wii U too, PS3 was still pretty healthy at PS4 launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Was there a brand new eagerly awaited game that switched from PS3 to PS4?

The Last Guardian went from PS2 to PS3 to PS4, but it wasn't crowd funded so I guess it's a different situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last Guardian was never destined for the PS2, it was to be on the PS3 but ended up in development hell and got moved to the PS4, good thing to, it's magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Last Guardian was never destined for the PS2, it was to be on the PS3 but ended up in development hell and got moved to the PS4, good thing to, it's magnificent.

Yeah I know, was trying to be funny. I'm very jealous of PS4 owners, The Last Guardian looks amazing, Ico and SOTC were both incredible games too.

At this point, I'd say its probably time to give up on new releases for the Wii U. Nintendo have obviously cut their losses with it and moved on, can't blame other developers for following suit. It would be nice for Wii U supporters to be somehow rewarded on the Switch, be it with cheaper games or a hardware discount, but I won't hold my breath.

I love the Wii U. I strayed from Nintendo in the Wii era for a while, and the Wii U was the console that brought me back. I got mine cheap when the local HMV was selling them for €99, but for all the enjoyment it brought me I'd have paid four or five times that and not felt short changed. Its a shame that it probably never saw its full potential realised, but moving on is the right thing to do.

In years to come, I'll remember the Wii U fondly. I'd probably place it in my top three consoles of all time from a personal viewpoint. It had a rough time of it, but the games that made it through are absolutely fantastic, streets ahead (in my opinion) of anything on the PS4 or XBone (both of which I've owned, still got the Xbox.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

iamtony wrote: »
    Probably is only a dozen must haves, bit most of these you could easily put a few hundred hours into without getting even slightly bored of them. Enjoy it!

So my package finally arrived on Friday, came with a lot more than what the ad had. In the end I got lots of Skylanders and Infinity characters and 8 U games along with 2 wii games, also came with an Afterglow pro controller. 32gig console a little scratched up which I knew about but was confident buying as Nintendo build quality is something I've great confidence in, the gamepad is a lot bigger than what I had pictured in my mind and very nifty indeed.
    First install was Axiom Verge, my amp can handle the surround sound so I cranked it up, class, little people happy, hopefully we'll get snowed in over the XMas for an all dayer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU has more than provided me with value for money, and I bought early in it's life cycle.
    The 1st party games have been the best kind of exclusives, with some setting the standard for gaming everywhere and others only merely being fantastic.
    Mario Kart 8 blew me away and it's two part DLC made a mockery of the drip drip of micro transactions within racing franchises on other consoles, and Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 were just sublime.
    Even the experimental Wonderful 101 and Captain Toad had a bravery to them that the other formats never succeeded in competing with, it's just a pity that the format was so hard to evangelise about, with little uptake in systems beyond the Nintendo fanbase.
    Here's hoping the Switch does much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

My Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Nintendo Wii U) order release date has been changed to 3rd February. Hopefully it's still coming out. I have faith in THQ Nordic. I think if it was cancelled they would have said so by now. I must send them an e-mail.

sligeach wrote: »
    My Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Nintendo Wii U) order release date has been changed to 3rd February. Hopefully it's still coming out. I have faith in THQ Nordic. I think if it was cancelled they would have said so by now. I must send them an e-mail.

It'll be nice to have one company follow through on their promises, unlike the Yooka Laylee people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I got a response back this afternoon. Not so much an answer though. I sent it to a few different departments within THQ Nordic so maybe someone in the know will get back to me tomorrow.
    C0UGFw0WEAAl26P.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The video title has bad grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well the kids got an Xbox One for Christmas which they love, but it's also quite heartening that they've played as much on the new w
    Wii U games they got (basically the latest 4 select games and 2 Mario and Sonic) as they have the Xbox.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Buzz used to dominate our xmas festivities, but it's been usurped by the joy of Nintendoland. 5 player Luigis Mansion and Mario Chase are ridiculously simple and fun. Runbow also brought great craic.

It's an absolute disgrace that Nintendo didn't expand on the 1 person on game pad via everyone else, as its massive fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Buzz used to dominate our xmas festivities, but it's been usurped by the joy of Nintendoland. 5 player Luigis Mansion and Mario Chase are ridiculously simple and fun. Runbow also brought great craic.

It's an absolute disgrace that Nintendo didn't expand on the 1 person on game pad via everyone else, as its massive fun!!

Chompy chomp chomp is fun with load of player's too, not what you'd call deep game play but a blast.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This thread only has a few months left... certainly that was the WiiU's last Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This thread only has a few months left... certainly that was the WiiU's last Christmas :(

It will be resurrected in a few years when people realise what a good console it was and they'll be asking why games for the system are so hard to find and so bloody expensive. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is there anywhere i can get a wii u touch pad fixed in ireland please???

ive done all the on line cleaning but its still not working properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sure we were all playing Mario Party 8 on the Wii over Xmas. That'll be moved to the Wii U next Xmas. There's still life in the old dog yet!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Sure we were all playing Mario Party 8 on the Wii over Xmas. That'll be moved to the Wii U next Xmas. There's still life in the old dog yet!

At was at my sister-in-laws last night for New Years and there was a session of Mario Kart Wii going on!

I still have a mountain of Wii games, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Excitebots, Fragile Dreams and Super Mario Galaxy 2 to name a few games to be finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This was weird
    https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/113730557?t=10h56m00s

Playing a rotated version of Super Metroid at Awesome Games Done Quick

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Nothing new here but it's good to see at least some media attention...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/11/nintendo-switch-what-were-expecting-from-the-new-console

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

All this Switch talk has me in a bit of a Nintendo fever.

There are still a bunch of WiiU games I want, gonna start gathering them up over the next few months.

One of the C.O.D. games, Arkham City, Fast Neo Racing, the TP special edition, the Toad game, that Donkey Kong game, Black Flag. Oh, jaysus, don't have Splatoon yet either.

And now, the big decision. Do i throw in the towel on this FIFA 13 league I've finally got around to playing and start something else, or see it through to the end, hich will take hours and hours?

I picked up both Fast Racing Neo on disc, had to order it from Amazon though, haven't seen in any irish bricks and mortar shops at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I picked up both Fast Racing Neo on disc, had to order it from Amazon though, haven't seen in any irish bricks and mortar shops at all.

Forgot about that title Cidey, thanks for clearing the auld cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Would anyone have any Pro Controllers they're looking to part with? Finding it immensely difficult to find any for a decent price. As to be expected though!

Has anyone ever experienced lag on the gamepad?

Just started getting it in the last week or so. Games play perfect on the TV but there's a lag when playing on the gamepad. Console is right in front of me so I'm not far away.

Do 90% of my Wii U gaming by looking at the gamepad so hope it's not a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Has anyone ever experienced lag on the gamepad?

Just started getting it in the last week or so. Games play perfect on the TV but there's a lag when playing on the gamepad. Console is right in front of me so I'm not far away.

Do 90% of my Wii U gaming by looking at the gamepad so hope it's not a big problem.
    No lag on the game pad ever for me. Its interesting actually, what I turn the sound up on the gamepad you can here the TV is actually behind the gamepad dispute me having the TV in game mode. Smart TVs are never 1:1 by the looks of it.
    Also if I'm strugling in a tough level on Mario maker, playing on the game pad makes it easier because there's less lag.

Advertisement