Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »

Nintendo has a chance now at E3 to make people think again about what their priorities in gaming are. Microsoft needs an incredible E3 to make up for that mess of a conference. Their 'exclusives' really need to be something else.

They commented that one of those exclusives is a "historic" franchise from Rare, and Will be at e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know had read they tried to get Banjo Kazooie back, but failed... so wonder what one it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Main suggestion seems to be Killer Instinct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Mah, Xbox One, after following it last night, I switched on my WiiU (which has been ignored for a couple months) and all of a sudden it felt like a next gen system, have no idea why but it just did. Happy.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know Just doesn't sound good to me at all.

Won't be going near the XO anytime soon. Wonder if PS4 will be the same or if they will let used games be played and not 'always on'(which isnt a big deal for most people, but still).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mah, Xbox One, after following it last night, I switched on my WiiU (which has been ignored for a couple months) and all of a sudden it felt like a next gen system, have no idea why but it just did. Happy.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know Just doesn't sound good to me at all.

Won't be going near the XO anytime soon. Wonder if PS4 will be the same or if they will let used games be played and not 'always on'(which isnt a big deal for most people, but still).

http://www.screwattack.com/news/sony-hints-ps4-does-contain-feature-block-used-games-its-publishers-use-it

it will but it be up to the publishers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sony will do the same as Microsoft.

They will lose a big chunk of the market to people who buy the new consoles and only second hand games with this. Its a lot of people. Not everyone can afford to buy games brand new.

Thank god for Ninty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They commented that one of those exclusives is a "historic" franchise from Rare, and Will be at e3.

The name Rare doesn't hold much weight these days though. They're top developers have long since departed. I would guess it's Banjo Kazooie. Apparently they tried to trademark 'Killer Instinct' again last year but were refused.

It'd be cool to see Conker given another game, that would be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ah Conker wasn't as good as you remember him

And if you have $200 dollars, a PAL N64 and would like to confirm that, step into my parlour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah Conker wasn't as good as you remember him

And if you have $200 dollars, a PAL N64 and would like to confirm that, step into my parlour :)

Liar. Conker was epic. If only one of my n64 controllers were working I'd fire him on right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.harveylo.com/2013/05/wii-u-sees-huge-spike-in-sales-in.html?m=1
    WiiU sales have increased on Amazon the last few days. I wonder why....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw an ad for Lego City undercover on tv today. Covered the gamepad features and the fact it's only on Wii U. So think worked better than the fancy ads with all the different rooms.

On another note, was just curious did any game implement an achievement system yet? Figured the ports would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

GTR63 wrote: »
    http://www.harveylo.com/2013/05/wii-u-sees-huge-spike-in-sales-in.html?m=1
    WiiU sales have increased on Amazon the last few days. I wonder why....

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

More rumours, but there's a mad rumour going around that Retro Studio's big re-imagining of an old Nintendo game is...........

.........Star Tropics! Sounds too mad to be true though.

More rumours, but there's a mad rumour going around that Retro Studio's big re-imagining of an old Nintendo game is...........

.........Star Tropics! Sounds too mad to be true though.

Heh, last e3 those rumours were spreading about star tropics so I looked into that game, it was actually pretty good.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Heh, last e3 those rumours were spreading about star tropics so I looked into that game, it was actually pretty good.

It was. Was always disappointed they never furthered the series really, well they did but the sequel wasn't great. For anyone who's ever played it, it'd be cool if they included another 'letter'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to say the more time I spend with the Wii U the more Im actually finding that its a great console.

Batman and Zombi U are all I have at the minute but both are really decent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Have to say the more time I spend with the Wii U the more Im actually its a great console.

Batman and Zombi U are all I have at the minute but both are really decent games.

I'm loving it except the ridiculous amount of time it spends updating. Seems every time I turn it on there's another update. Can it not install these itself during the night? Same with downloaded games, they could install once downloading has completed instead of making me click and watch the entire process.
    Also, I wish you could turn off the mini screen on the gamepad for some games.
    Still, its an impressive machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm loving it except the ridiculous amount of time it spends updating. Seems every time I turn it on there's another update. Can it not install these itself during the night? Same with downloaded games, they could install once downloading has completed instead of making me click and watch the entire process.

You should be able to download in the background

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive only had one download that took over an hour--think it must have been the "out of the box" and then a small one last week.

Next question....

Has anyone installed the homebrew channel on the VWill yet??

Im thinking of giving it a go later as I have my old wii softmodded and running *ahem* homebrew from a usb drive with wii flow installed.
    I believe that the wii u will do similar in Vwii mode....now that would make it a great machine if it worked.All my old wii games accessible from the Wii u.

Aswell as that it would play movies from a usb drive through the media player channel.

That's one thing Im a bit annoyed with ie that the wii wont play avis etc from a usb drive. Now if I could get media player installed via the homebrew channel and it plays everything then it will be the ultimate console.I could technically get rid of 2 more devices under the TV ie my media player that I play movies from and my original xbox for emulators.

Theres also a load of emulators that will run from the HBC aswell......mmmmm the more I think about it the more I think Im going to give this a go.....

• Advertisement

Re:downloads
    As of the last update I did (I applied it on Thursday, but WiiU has been idle for 3 weeks prior to that, no idea when it went live) , apps now install automatically after downloading in the background. Not sure if that will also be true of future updates

Re: vWii
    Just be careful messing with the ioses - some Wii patched versions brick the vWii and vice versa. Apparently

First Sonic Lost Worlds trailer:

Looks a bit like Sonic version of Mario Galaxy, except way more on rails I suspect unfortunately. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oh 16-bit Sonic, how I miss thee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Next question....

Has anyone installed the homebrew channel on the VWill yet??

Im thinking of giving it a go later as I have my old wii softmodded and running *ahem* homebrew from a usb drive with wii flow installed.
    I believe that the wii u will do similar in Vwii mode....now that would make it a great machine if it worked.All my old wii games accessible from the Wii u.

Aswell as that it would play movies from a usb drive through the media player channel.

That's one thing Im a bit annoyed with ie that the wii wont play avis etc from a usb drive. Now if I could get media player installed via the homebrew channel and it plays everything then it will be the ultimate console.I could technically get rid of 2 more devices under the TV ie my media player that I play movies from and my original xbox for emulators.

Theres also a load of emulators that will run from the HBC aswell......mmmmm the more I think about it the more I think Im going to give this a go.....

U get this working??

First Sonic Lost Worlds trailer:

Looks a bit like Sonic version of Mario Galaxy, except way more on rails I suspect unfortunately. Should be interesting.
    3DLand would be a better comparison imo, looks like a fun game to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

madmoe wrote: »
    U get this working??

Also very interested to hear about this.

I have a tonne of Wii games but am short on storage in my new place so would love to be able to play them all from a hard disk.

Also, the NES and SNES emulators would be a nice bonus! :)

I've got my Wii soft-modded, to play different region games and backups, with all my games copied to a hard drive.
    I've got the Wii U Virtual Wii softmodded too, through Smash Hack, but it cannot pick up the hard drive, as it's a 2.5" HDD that's not externally powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've got my Wii soft-modded, to play different region games and backups, with all my games copied to a hard drive.
    I've got the Wii U Virtual Wii softmodded too, through Smash Hack, but it cannot pick up the hard drive, as it's a 2.5" HDD that's not externally powered.

Does the external disk need a separate partition for Wii stuff? I have a powered drive but it has a lot of stuff on it already.

It used to but it doesn't any more. The most recent USB loaders support FAT32 with the ISOs stored as WBFS files - I'm using WiiFlow, that's what it rips my games to.

NOTE : If it's connected to the WiiU on startup, the WiiU will ask to format it for use with the WiiU!

NOTE Also : I haven't done it yet. Don't listen to me! I'm dying to though, once your games are all available without leaving the couch and searching through boxes, and finding the wrong disk is in the box, and following the trail back till you find where the one you want is hiding... you just can't go back to livng that way!

Damo : Have you tried one of those Y-split USB cables with a second data connector for the host end that's only wired for power? I've heard they work for some 2.5" drives on the WiiU. Most 2.5" drives ship with them. Or did, back when I had the money to buy hard drives :)

• Advertisement

Mine came with a Y cable, I've connected both cables, and it still doesn't pick up the drive/partition. I've read about some people using a separate power source with a USB connection into the second cable, but don't fancy trying this.

(I do have the drive partitioned with a WBFS partition)

Advertisement