Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sooo...

Who's giitin' Zelda on both consoles?

Seems so wrong, but so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sooo...

I will be, but not initially. As much as I want the Switch for the ability to play portable Mario Kart 8 awesomeness, I'm gonna try to hold out on getting the console right away, as much as possible, until it is a little more established. Zelda BotW on Wii U is a day one purchase (or day one Amazon pre-order :pac:), but I'll get the Switch version when I do eventually decide to upgrade to the next-gen console. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If I might mention that good manners and respectful comments do not preclude good humour and a spot of ribbing.
    If people are so determined to move on and engage in the spirit of the forum, enjoying what it has to offer they should do so without preconditions.
    Posting an apology on behalf of a moderator is either naive or a deliberate attempt to ignite an argument.
    For certain, in normal real world conversation it would be seen as reason for criticism.
    The moderator here only edited the inappropriate statement from the post, in line with rules of good manners and practice.
    If Da Gamer can't accept then it is unfortunate that they would choose not to post here but, outside of After Hours, I don't see how it is compatible with the rest of Boards. And persistence in this will result in a ban and that'll be that.
    Those who find sport in encouraging it will find the same result.
    There's nothing extraordinary in expecting a bit of decorum and good manners.
    No suppression of free speech.
    No suppression of people who disagree with prevailing opinion.
    Again, if posters find it too hard to cope with this expectation, they might familiarise themselves with the agreement they consented to when they signed up as members of Boards, I can link to it if they like, and this has clear guidance on the behaviour of people using this site. Also, each forum has its own set of rules, or charter, and that's worth reading too, for everyone.

Apologies to Starlord for the long post.

I really hope everyone continues to enjoy this forum and site in general.

This is typical of what I'm talking about. I've apologised, tried on countless occasions to move on, and then lastly I agreed to leave the forum. But yet again rather than leaving it at that a moderator has to have another go and get the final say in. I don't know if it's a power thing or what but it's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

da gamer wrote: »
    This is typical of what I'm talking about. I've apologised, tried on countless occasions to move on, and then lastly I agreed to leave the forum. But yet again rather than leaving it at that a moderator has to have another go and get the final say in. I don't know if it's a power thing or what but it's ridiculous.

In case it is that you didn't get the import of what you posted.
    You apologised on behalf of of someone else.
    That's not really acceptable, regardless of it being a mod or otherwise, and it's the thing that was edited out.
    From that point things could have moved on but you drew attention to it as an example of being oppressed, again.
    If you really want to move on, do so, and enjoy the banter.

As for a moderator having the last word.
    We do.
    We volunteer to moderate the forum here and elsewhere in our spare time, and that role consists of maintaining the quality of the experience here for all posters and users, by making sure the rules are applied evenly and transparently to all.
    And those rules, essentially, codify good manners and respect.
    If there is a dispute or heated words, regardless of a mod being the recipient or not, a moderator will have to step in and bring the thread/forum back to par once again, often seeking compromise from all, assuming there isn't a rule breach, in which the person who has breached will have their error pointed out and there being an expectation that the rules will be followed from then on.
    Tbh, none of this is any different than a code of conduct in the workplace or real world social club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

da gamer wrote: »
    Now that that's behind us I'd like to move on. I picked up starfox zero, having never played any of them before, what kind of game is it? Reviews are very mixed so not sure what to expect.

I don't like this game, can't say that about too many Wii U games but this is my least favourite for a number of reasons. Its controls being top of that list. I'll put it this way, would you become fluent in Japanese just for a very short trip you were taking to Japan? Knowing as well that it's a one off trip and you'll never go back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't like this game, can't say that about too many Wii U games but this is my least favourite for a number of reasons. Its controls being top of that list. I'll put it this way, would you become fluent in Japanese just for a very short trip you were taking to Japan? Knowing as well that it's a one off trip and you'll never go back?

Yeah, it's an odd one.
    Like marmite you'll either love it or loathe it, and the controls do hamper an otherwise fun authentic journey back into the Starfox universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sooo...

In getting it for both, because I have kicked myself for years for not picking up Twilight Princess for the GameCube

I had to drive to Tallaght to get mine!
    And I still have it, loved and unplayed....
    I know... I have a problem....

Sooo...

I've the Wii U version sorted. Hopefully, by the time I pick up the Switch, its version will be cheap as chips just as Twilight Princess on the Wii ended up becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Star Lord wrote: »
    In getting it for both, because I have kicked myself for years for not picking up Twilight Princess for the GameCube

Yeah, me too.

Still haven't fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Starfox. Bought it at the weekend. Its... Weird. You have a cockpit first person view on the gamepad, with a motion controlled cursor to direct your fire. On the telly you have a 3rd person view like original Starfox but it can switch to a kind of Z-targeting view a la Zelda that tracks your target.

What that means is you are constantly switching back and forth between the 2 screens trying to figure out where the fudge the aiming cursor has gone. The motion controls are grand, but the forced perspective shifts are on par with The Bourne Ultimatum for inducing motion sickness.

Still enjoyed it, but glad it was cheap

I saw the First Print edition in GS in Charlestown, Dublin today.
    It's €49.99 and includes the physical copy of Starfox Guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Working my way through twilight princess and just did the water temple, ugh!! Didn't need any tips but took 3 hours and thought I was losing my mind a few times. What a mess of a temple :D

I think I prefer Wind Waker overall. Unless the rest is astonishing I don't see that changing.

Nice warm up for BoTW though!

Argos have zero for 20, and Guard has been popping up for as little as 5 sterling. But stock levels are, I'm sure, depleted.

In the last days of my Wii I returned to Twilight Princess in the hope that I could finish that final dungeon and put the game to rest while my WiiU shipped. (From Zavvi, so I should have had plenty of time... Curse you parcel motel and your speedy delivery!) Alas, I didn't make it, not least because it turns out that it wasn't the final dungeon. Seems only fitting the WiiU goes out the same way, so I've launched into TP:HD full on.

Turns out I don't remember a thing about the start. Kids? Monkeys? Goats? Where the hell are the honking shadow birds?

Edit :Snap! Zelda-twins for life, bro!

Funnily enough my wife asked me if I was finished yet so many times during the 'meeting Zelda' cut scene while I was waiting to save that any doubt I might have had about investing in the switch was driven from my mind, like some gnawing guilty snake before a glorious neon St Patrick with detachable ears.

Haha snap indeed!

Vaccine Wii U Gameplay

https://www.youtube/SpWDjXaOj08

It's due out on the eShop tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

I have Zelda ordered for Wii U. Any thoughts on whether the gamepad or pro controller will be better for it? When I got wind waker people on here recommended to get a pro controller - perhaps because it's a game from and older console.

And as unofficial controllers were being discussed, any recommendations on a decent one?

budgemook wrote: »
    I have Zelda ordered for Wii U. Any thoughts on whether the gamepad or pro controller will be better for it? When I got wind waker people on here recommended to get a pro controller - perhaps because it's a game from and older console.

And as unofficial controllers were being discussed, any recommendations on a decent one?

Wind Waker was good using the gamepad. This game, however, doesn't use it supposedly. It's crazy that we're just over a week from release and we haven't seen this game in ages.

Regarding third party controllers, I wouldn't buy one if I were you. Try and buy official if possible, secondhand if need be for it to be cheaper. If you do want a third party one, this is meant to be good. Check out Ebay, there's a range of colour variants.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEXiLUX-Wireless-Controller-Gamepad-Nintendo/dp/B018IZLF66

I own it in the American Super Nintendo colours. Couldn't tell you how it performs though as I've never opened it.

CiDeRmAn has one that has both Wii U and Wii modes, that sounds pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

sligeach wrote: »
    Wind Waker was good using the gamepad. This game, however, doesn't use it supposedly. It's crazy that we're just over a week from release and we haven't seen this game in ages.

Regarding third party controllers, I wouldn't buy one if I were you. Try and buy official if possible, secondhand if need be for it to be cheaper. If you do want a third party one, this is meant to be good. Check out Ebay, there's a range of colour variants.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEXiLUX-Wireless-Controller-Gamepad-Nintendo/dp/B018IZLF66

I own it in the American Super Famicom colours. Couldn't tell you how it performs though as I've never opened it.

ah okay. Yeah I've never had a good experience with 3rd party controllers. Probably haven't bought / used one since PS1 days I'd say. Some things never change I guess.

When you say "doesn't use it" - I guess you mean the screen is turned off but the controller functions as normal other than that? Without a screen it's a fairly large controller, might just bite the bullet and get a pad.

• Advertisement

The gamepad was made for Zelda games. Wait and see if you can til its official how it will be used for BoTW. I'm betting it's got map and inventory usage. That alone makes it heaps better than the pro.

Star Lord wrote: »
    CiDeRmAn has one that has both Wii U and Wii modes, that sounds pretty good!

It was cheap as chips too, a gioteck gc2, can't find them new now but it's worth watching out for them preowned.
    They have their sticks in the 360 positions and it makes them a little more customary to use, for me at least, I never enjoyed the stick positions on the stock Pro Controller for the WiiU.

Can't find my controller in stock anywhere but, there's this...
    Wii Pro Controller, SuperStore_Electronics Wireless Controller Gamepad Joypad Remote for Nintendo Wii U Pro, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J7ONPQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IPGRybZV1HKVE

Might be worth a punt, at £14.99
    The white one is cheaper again, at £11.99
    Seems modelled on the official pro controller WiiU controller too.

I remember some discussion of buying Giotech controllers a year or two ago off Amazon and a few people having severe issues very quickly - richylad or someone along those lines... Did I make that name up?

What's the big deal with pro controllers? I have one from the glory days of PC World flogging them for 20 quid but it doesn't seem significantly better than the gamepad, and naturally it doesn't offer off-tv. Why do people love them so? Analogue triggers? Reduced input lag? Is there a micro-fleshlight built into the USB port? Have to say, in my house the WiiMote+Nunchuck tends to reign although my eldest would lean towards the pro because it looks more grown up...

I know its a bit late, but 4 years in and I still have to power my WiiU up, force it offline and power on again to make it work and sync with the gamepad. Its ****ed, isn't it? (Insert sobbing here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I've never bought a pro controller, although I have had my eye out for an official white one recently. If anyone knows of where to get one for an ok price I'd greatly appreciate it. Personally, I love the gamepad, I bought the extended life battery ages ago and it's the biz.

Edit: re the issue I read earlier in the thread of getting the long life battery from abroad, I bought mine from Amazon.fr along with the Smash controller and adapter and there were no issues getting it delivered to my gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm quite happy to using the Wii Mote+Nunchuck on games that support it. For extended play the pro controller is much more comfortable than the Wii U game pad. Battery life is also several times better. Some of my discomfort with gamepad may be down to just not playing enough to get used to it. Mostly play with kids so often using the wii remotes. Have been putting in a bit more solo play recently with Twighlight Princess and a bit of Windwaker nearly all with pro controller though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The battery life was the main draw of the Pro controller for me. Having to plug in the gamepad after a few hours got old fast. Same reason I'm getting the pro controller for the switch too, since I'll be playing mostly on the TV. I also prefer the feel of the smaller pro controller over the gamepad, great as the gamepad was!

The Switch Pro Controller has a reported battery life of 40 hours, whereas the Joy-Cons have a not-too-shabby battery life of 20 hours.

Can't see myself playing it for 20+ hours without a break, so the battery life wouldn't be a driver for me on this one!

The Wii U Pro Controller had an amazing battery life though, around 50 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Never used the Wii U Pro controller even though I picked it up for about €20 in the great PC World cull.
    My red Wii Pro controller is still sealed in with Xenoblade from great Argos offer.
    Don't you need the Wii U gamepad to navigate the Wii U menu anyway to launch the game? I sit beside a plug socket so charging is never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't you need the Wii U gamepad to navigate the Wii U menu anyway to launch the game? I sit beside a plug socket so charging is never a problem.

No can navigate with Pro controller with analogue stick or Wii remote pointer.

Don't like playing with gamepad plugged in as the wire is so flimsy just afraid of it getting damaged in the long run.

Advertisement