Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have to say I never saw the need for a pro controller. The gamepad was always fine whether playing off screen or on screen. I know it's each to their own but people seemed to obsess over these pro controllers for some reason.

They're just better controllers imo, better size, better comfort, miles better battery. Obviously you can't do off-screen but I never used that anyway so it's always my go to for the Wii-U. Can't really remember at this stage but were they much more expensive than a new PS4/Xbox One controller on release either? Certainly not €80 that the Switch equivalent is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Andrew76 wrote: »
    They're just better controllers imo, better size, better comfort, miles better battery. Obviously you can't do off-screen but I never used that anyway so it's always my go to for the Wii-U. Can't really remember at this stage but were they much more expensive than a new PS4/Xbox One controller on release either? Certainly not €80 that the Switch equivalent is anyway.

Id say I played 80% or more of my Wii U on off screen mode in fairness. Didn't have a 2nd telly at the time so it was a god send.

Don't get me wrong I see why the pro controller suits situations but I always felt it was over hyped. Same thing seems to be going on with the switch. People were talking about it before they even bought the switch. They hadn't even given the hardware a chance but again each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Lads do you know if the pro controller is in stock anywhere?

Get the Afterglow Pro Controller in Argos for €27.99. Half the price and miles better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

da gamer wrote: »
    Get the Afterglow Pro Controller in Argos for €27.99. Half the price and miles better.

I thought that third party controllers are always worse. Have you used the official one to compare?

I thought that third party controllers are always worse. Have you used the official one to compare?

Not necessarily always worse. 90% of the time they are worse, but not on this occasion. Yes I've played both and find the afterglow the better controller. And it looks awesome!

• Advertisement

If that Afterglow Wii-U controller is anything like their 360 one, then there's no comparison to the official pro controller. I got 2 of the 360 version for the kids because they were relatively cheap - grand for young kids to abuse but like most things, you get what you pay for. The thumbsticks are hard plastic that your fingers will slip off so you might need to get those additional rubber grips for them.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If that Afterglow Wii-U controller is anything like their 360 one, then there's no comparison to the official pro controller. I got 2 of the 360 version for the kids because they were relatively cheap - grand for young kids to abuse but like most things, you get what you pay for. The thumbsticks are hard plastic that your fingers will slip off so you might need to get those additional rubber grips for them.

Never used the 360 ones so can't comment on that. The thumbsticks on the afterglow Wii u pro controller are excellent. Nice little groove in them for the thumb similar to the official 360 controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hair dryer or baby wipes get the stickers off, just be very gentle on the cardboard boxes as it can mangle them if you use either too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I oddly like price stickers on game cases! Not immediately though. They are a bit of an eyesore to begin with.

However looking back 15 or 20 years at a price sticker just adds something to it. I have a boxed Tom & Jerry game on the NES with an old orange Dunnes Stores price sticker (St. Bernard) which reads iirc £59.99! No wonder I only got 5 NES games as a kid.

I especially like it when the manual in an older second-hand game has actual hand written game notes or cheats in them.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I oddly like price stickers on game cases! Not immediately though. They are a bit of an eyesore to begin with.

However looking back 15 or 20 years at a price sticker just adds something to it. I have a boxed Tom & Jerry game on the NES with an old orange Dunnes Stores price sticker (St. Bernard) which reads iirc £59.99! No wonder I only got 5 NES games as a kid.

I especially like it when the manual in an older second-hand game has actual hand written game notes or cheats in them.

Yeah but stickers from 20 years ago have a nostalgia associated with them and are pretty small in size. Stickers these days are massive in comparison and sometimes there's a few of them or one on top of the other. Straight off with them for me anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or the sticker with full price on a game you got at releaase and still haven't played and can now be bought for less than €20 for the GotY edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I love old stickers and notes. Even better when it comes with the original receipt. It's times like that when I feel my history degree wasn't a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Also, who would have thought a sticker remark would have generated so much chat. I think we need a dedicated sticker forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Panini or Merlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I had the 69.99 Punt price label from Virgin Megastore (on the Dublin quays) on my tinned SNES version of Street Fighter 2 Turbo back in the day.
    Sold it in times of space-poverty in my house not so long ago :(

....Know what you mean though Pac.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This game is due out on the Wii U eShop later today. It'll be priced at €4.99.

Six Sides of the World Launch Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1OlI7Ut4VY
    "WHEN PORTAL MEETS MARIO GALAXY
    Six Sides of the World is full of references awaiting for true gamers that can appreciate them. The game has been created by a true geek, so you can expect to find constant allusions to pieces of pop culture. The most evident inspirations are Portal and its way of introducing new and exciting sci-fi concepts as key elements to solve puzzles and Mario Galaxy and his particular navigation through tiny planets. As said before: you will clearly see that Six Sides of the World has been created by someone who truly loves videogames.

EXPLORE A VAST GALACTIC SYSTEM
    Six Sides of the World presents you a series of galaxies to be explored. Each one is comprised by different puzzles that introduce new and more challenging mechanics. But most interesting feature of this is that these galaxies can be navigated linearly, following a easier predetermined path; or you can make a detour if you are brave enough. Some of the puzzles will present more than one possible solution, enabling the player to achieve a more difficult victory, that will unlock new extra puzzles.

WORSHIP THE PUZZLE GOD
    Maigo is an explorer who’s about to discover something far bigger than he expects. As he navigates through space, facing increasingly difficult puzzles, he starts to understand he’s tapping over something transcendent. Some questions arise: who has created all these worlds? What motivates this intergalactic architect? There’s an utter plan beyond all this? It is a test? A mean to protect something? In seek of the truth Maigo will have to overcome all the challenges to meet this kind of… PUZZLE GOD."

Source: Talking About Media PR

Is there anyway to use the pro controller playing the Splatoon single player mode?

Gave all my Wii u stuff to my nephew and I can't find an option not to use the gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No Splatoon has to be played on the Gamepad because you need 2 screens. Because if you didn't they'd have to explain why there's no Off TV or 2 player asynchronous co-op / online. The map is on the Gamepad and there are touch controls for certain power ups (well, one of them any way).

And yet some how you can play it on the switch on 1 screen....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Banjo wrote:
    And yet some how you can play it on the switch on 1 screen....

You'll be playing at the cost of having access to your map at all times though. That's going to be tough to handle at high level play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I agree, I'm just bitter that I can't let my girls play Splatoon because they'll fight over the single controller and they'll ruin my online stats :D (And don't say "but it had a 2 player mode" - no one who played it would say that!) They were crazy for the idea when it released but the focus on the online competitive game at the expense of the normal Nintendo maxims of fun and inclusiveness at the cost of all else means they can't join in. I'm praying for a practice mode that lets you have 2 player splitscreen with Bots or something...

• Advertisement

Gamestop need to die.
    C7tEmG9XwAMCqCS.jpg:large

C7tEoIfWkAEJjaZ.jpg:large

I could have picked out many, many more games. They're a thundering disgrace. Sorry the price tags aren't clear on some of them but you should be able to make them out. The back of the Bayonetta 2 box is to show you that that copy was in German but no matter, it's still €35 like the rest of them. Secondhand copies all way more expensive than buying them new.

• lol 50 quid, some joke

You can buy them brand new for 23.99 in argos or on amazon easily

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

The game having a German back doesn't mean much.

• Hyrule warriors...awesome sauce

• Lads, can somebody let me know if StarFox Zero ever got a patch on the Wii U?
    Reading up that the main gripe with the game is the controls?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads, can somebody let me know if StarFox Zero ever got a patch on the Wii U?

No. That would be them admitting that they were wrong. It could happen if it got a Switch port. But that's not very likely either. Unless they add in an online multiplayer mode that I said should have been included.

• sligeach wrote: »
    No. That would be them admitting that they were wrong. It could happen if it got a Switch port. But that's not very likely either. Unless they add in an online multiplayer mode that I said should have been included.

Are they really that bad as it stands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

No, not at all. People make out like the game is unplayable, but it's fine. It's not a great game, but I liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads, can somebody let me know if StarFox Zero ever got a patch on the Wii U?

Tbh those control issues just melt away after an hour of play.
    There's plenty to enjoy in the game.
    I was happy to pay full price and got plenty out of it but the current budget price of the game makes it extremely good to buy and play.

It's shares that Outrun feel that Starfox on the N64 had, namely it is replayable for secret, scores and courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

For people with external hard drives, how big did you go? Is 1TB too big?
    Gonna look around PC World or Argos at the weekend and get an external powered one.

Advertisement