Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tbh those control issues just melt away after an hour of play.
    There's plenty to enjoy in the game.
    I was happy to pay full price and got plenty out of it but the current budget price of the game makes it extremely good to buy and play.

It's shares that Outrun feel that Starfox on the N64 had, namely it is replayable for secret, scores and courses.

That's your experience, and not everyone had it. Personally I found the controls a bit fiddly - but no more so than with Splatoon or BotW where you use motion control for precision aiming; but the forced perspective shifts maddening. Although in a weird way they work better for one-on-one fights where what's going on around you isn't important. But it's jarring and it doesn't really add anything to the experience that you couldn't have by tying the shift to a button press on a single screen. And I kind of got that from the demo.... But god damn it, I listened to you... I trusted you... I thought it would get better... and it didn't really.

But cards on the table I only got about 3 or 4 planets into it - the lack of Off TV, the fact that the Switch came out a week later, it never stood a chance :D

It's a grand game. It's not a great game. It's confused about whether it's a sequel or a remake or a reboot, the setpieces I played through were ho-hum, the forced vehicle sections really only take away from your reason for buying the game (Banjo's a Starfighter Pilot! Knows all the girls in the world!)

So what I'm saying is that it's an acquired taste, and sometimes you have to ask yourself, why the **** would I eat Goats Cheese when there are perfectly fine non-goats cheeses out there that don't make me vomit? I got it for 17 quid and frankly feel like if I'd had a chance I'd have gotten more enjoyment out of 3 frappaccinos. Maybe then I'd be able to spell Frappaccino?

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hyrule warriors...awesome sauce

Game is massive too, loving the variation in the weapons / characters.
    How long is the main campaign? Apparently I'm still on the prologue and I've spent near 3 hours with it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How long is the main campaign? Apparently I'm still on the prologue and I've spent near 3 hours with it :eek:
    I don't remember the story being especially long. The bulk of the game is found in the Adventure Mode maps. If you're going for 100% completion in that department, you'll have to invest hundreds of hours. There's a lot of content to get through.

• I couldn't find a sticky for NNIDs but for anyone looking to add me send me a PM
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Top 25 Wii U Games (Spring 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLCQes3PygA

Let me guess what's at No.1. ;)

Edit: I'm putting the list below in case you don't feel like watching the video.
    1. LoZ: Breath of the Wild
    2. Super Mario Maker
    3. Mario Kart 8
    4. Super Mario 3D World
    5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    6. LoZ: The Wind Waker HD
    7. LoZ: Twilight Princess HD
    8. Minecraft
    9. Shovel Knight
    10. Pikmin 3
    11. Splatoon
    12. Bayonetta 2
    13. NES Remix 1 & 2
    14. New Super Mario Bros. U
    15. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    16. Rayman Legends
    17. Xenoblade Chronicles X
    18. Axiom Verge
    19. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    20. Lego Star Wars Force Awakens
    21. DKC: Tropical Freeze
    22. Yoshi's Wooly World
    23. Steamworld Dig
    24. Affordable Space Adventure
    25. Super Luigi U

I agree with 1 and 2, then disagree with much of the rest of the order. For starters, NES Remix 1&2 can get out and what is XCX doing way down there? No Wonderful 101 or Zombi U either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Is shovel knight THAT good?

Also lego Star Wars? Did they mean lego city undercover?!

Shovel Knight is great, but it's 8-bit great. If you don't have nostalgic memories of MegaMan then you might find the punishing nature of the platforming a bit of an irritant. Has some great RPG elements to it that lend it a greater sense of ambition and scope than you'd expect based on the graphics and gameplay, and the punish/reward system for death (a chunk of your loot gets left where you fell, so do you go back for it and die again trying to recover it or cut your losses?) keeps compelling you to come back. Music is excellent too. Oh, and the story is a wonderful blend of the epic and absurd.

I'll be honest though, I can see that it's objectively great but I don't have the NES-style skillz to pay Shovel Knight's bills, and as such it gets on my nerves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    Shovel Knight is great, but it's 8-bit great. If you don't have nostalgic memories of MegaMan then you might find the punishing nature of the platforming a bit of an irritant. Has some great RPG elements to it that lend it a greater sense of ambition and scope than you'd expect based on the graphics and gameplay, and the punish/reward system for death (a chunk of your loot gets left where you fell, so do you go back for it and die again trying to recover it or cut your losses?) keeps compelling you to come back. Music is excellent too. Oh, and the story is a wonderful blend of the epic and absurd.

I'll be honest though, I can see that it's objectively great but I don't have the NES-style skillz to pay Shovel Knight's bills, and as such it gets on my nerves.

Agreed. If you've never played 8-bit platformers (or forgotten how tough games were back then) or never played any of the Dark Souls series for example, then it might not be your cup of tea. It's a fantastic game but I was delighted to have finished it tbh. Played some of the Plague Knight DLC but didn't warm to it and don't plan on going back to the game for my controller's sake! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My Wii U is kinda compromised has a NNID I am unsure how to remove it, I am thinking of selling just the tablet which is the wind waker hd version, cex offer a crappy price for it but I need the dough for Mario Kart on switch and as I have mentioned many times my eyes are buggered enough that I can't use the Wii U myself, the switch is great in handheld for can see it perfectly. Wii U has been gathering dust in a bag for the past few months now I bought Xenoblade in hopes of being able to play it but no luck.

Might end up donating it to a group I currently attend but am not sure the guys there would use it as I only have the tablet no further wii remotes or a classic pad. Hate it going to waste but also hate selling it for nickels and dimes when I should be getting dollar dollar (murica) :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

My Wii U is kinda compromised has a NNID I am unsure how to remove it, I am thinking of selling just the tablet which is the wind waker hd version, cex offer a crappy price for it but I need the dough for Mario Kart on switch and as I have mentioned many times my eyes are buggered enough that I can't use the Wii U myself, the switch is great in handheld for can see it perfectly. Wii U has been gathering dust in a bag for the past few months now I bought Xenoblade in hopes of being able to play it but no luck.

Might end up donating it to a group I currently attend but am not sure the guys there would use it as I only have the tablet no further wii remotes or a classic pad. Hate it going to waste but also hate selling it for nickels and dimes when I should be getting dollar dollar (murica) :(

Is there no option in the Settings to reset back to factory defaults/system restore (or whatever the wording is)?

• Advertisement

... and as I have mentioned many times my eyes are buggered enough that I can't use the Wii U myself, the switch is great in handheld for can see it perfectly. Wii U has been gathering dust in a bag for the past few months now I bought Xenoblade in hopes of being able to play it but no luck.

If you don't mind me asking, how come you can play Switch in handheld mode but you can't play Wii U off-TV (which Xenoblade X and the Wii VC Xenoblade both support)? is it the screen res?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

If you don't mind me asking, how come you can play Switch in handheld mode but you can't play Wii U off-TV (which Xenoblade X and the Wii VC Xenoblade both support)? is it the screen res?

I'm 28 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles X of which I've played probably 25% of on the Wii U game pad.

It's a great game on the full telly with the gamepad as the map etc but playing off screen is no issue. Slightly small text but for exploring etc I don't see any issue.

You can flick to the game map with ease as well in off screen mode, enabling quick travel etc..

****ing great game btw.

I'm 28 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles X of which I've played probably 25% of on the Wii U game pad.

It's a great game on the full telly with the gamepad as the map etc but playing off screen is no issue. Slightly small text but for exploring etc I don't see any issue.

You can flick to the game map with ease as well in off screen mode, enabling quick travel etc..

****ing great game btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Switch is all screen apart from joycons, wii u screen is tiny (that's what she said). Switch is much sharper and zelda can play in full mode on it without needing a tv. That's my story and I'm sticking to it copper, now where's my lawyer.

You don't have to justify yourself to the likes of me, I was just curious 'cause I know your eyes are playing merry hell with you, I wondered if that highlights some short-coming of the screen that I, with my eyes like a bespectacled adonis, can't see.

I wonder if, down the line, they might look at streaming your Wii U games from Wii U to Switch for Off TV play? It would have been a very confusing offering out of the gate, and it would interfere with sales of Mariokart and Splatoon, but say by Christmas it would take the sting out of the lack of backwards compatibility...

Switch is all screen apart from joycons, wii u screen is tiny (that's what she said). Switch is much sharper and zelda can play in full mode on it without needing a tv. That's my story and I'm sticking to it copper, now where's my lawyer.

The Wii U screen is not tiny.

They're not that different at all. I don't have the measurements to hand but look at the side by side images on Google. Fook all in it really.

Sharper yes but will the likes of xenobleade X get a graphical upgrade if it's ported to make use of the switches better screen? Maybe but I'll bet itdoesny look that much different.

Look at Zelda on both consoles, seriously not a big difference.

That said if you want a new console go for it. Your justification I think is a wee bit flawed though.

I've no need for one right now but Xmas 2017 will be nice for Mario and hopefully one or two other new games.

I just can't justify buying a switch right now for rehashes of Mario kart 8 and Splatoon (suuuure its Splatoon 2 Nintendo) which I already own on Wii U. And of course Zelda which I can buy also on Wii U

THQ Nordic PR regarding Darksiders: Warmastered Edition.

"Contrary to a couple of online rumours, Wii U™ version is on its way and by no means cancelled

Darksiders Warmastered Edition is a remaster of the original Darksiders with hellish HD resolution and performance improvements!
    About Darksiders

Deceived by the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of the world, War – the first Horseman of the Apocalypse – stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between Heaven and Hell. In the slaughter that ensued, the demonic forces defeated the heavenly hosts and laid claim to the Earth.
    + Apocalyptic Power – Unleash the wrath of War, combining brutal attacks and supernatural abilities to decimate all who stand in your way
    + Extreme Arsenal – Wield a devastating arsenal of angelic, demonic and Earthly weapons; and blaze a trail of destruction atop Ruin, War's fiery phantom steed
    + Epic Quest – Battle across the wastelands and demon-infested dungeons of the decimated Earth in your quest for vengeance and redemption
    + Character Progression – Uncover powerful ancient relics, upgrade your weapons, unlock new abilities, and customize your gameplay style
    + Battle Heaven and Hell – Battle against all who stand in your way - from war-weary angelic forces to Hell's hideous demon hordes"

It launches worldwide on May 23rd. ~€18/£15.

sligeach wrote: »
    THQ Nordic PR regarding Darksiders: Warmastered Edition.

It launches worldwide on May 23rd. ~€18/£15.

Yay a 7 year old game.

Zzzzzz.

Wake me up in December when they launch a few original games.

Don't get me wrong I know all launches first year is shallow in relation to releases but I really hoped beyond hope that the switch be different and it would come out with a massive launch to make up for the disaster that was the Wii U*... I love my Wii U but 99% of the population didn't even know what it was!!

Seriously who the hell cares about darksiders att this point. Sure I can get it for a fiver or less probably on my 360 if I really want to play it.

uh... it's worse than you think. That's for the Wii U, not the Switch!

uh... it's worse than you think. That's for the Wii U, not the Switch!

Hahahaha. Seriously?! Class

• Advertisement

• God damn last level of Super Mario 3D world

I ****ing hate you Bowser

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    God damn last level of Super Mario 3D world

I ****ing hate you Bowser

Have it at home, still sitting in the shrink wrap. Just been playing Zelda.

I was just on Miiverse and some of the art is incredible. Came across this drawing. Wow!
    WVW69kHfNKEglkL5El

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f6wBTUzQ

Why would Nintendo get rid of this on Switch?

World To The West is still coming to Wii U but has been delayed for a few weeks.

What's the easiest way to get the high-capacity battery for the GamePad in Ireland?

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get the high-capacity battery for the GamePad in Ireland?

There isn't an easy way. No Irish retailer sell them. You can buy one from Nintendo's UK store.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack/10848338.html

It's expensive, £25, plus you'll have to use something like AddressPal for delivery. Or you can buy one off Ebay.

sligeach wrote: »
    There isn't an easy way. No Irish retailer sell them. You can buy one from Nintendo's UK store.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack/10848338.html

It's expensive, £25, plus you'll have to use something like AddressPal for delivery. Or you can buy one off Ebay.

Do you actually need one though?

Use the pro controller as much as I can, and only switch to the gamepad when absolutely necessary. Other than that, my gamepad is always in its dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LP64

Hi Robbing Bandit, my wii u controller is broken as it was dropped on the floor. How much would you want for yours? Do you have the rest of the box as well i'd take it all wven with the wii u not working. Thanks

• Advertisement

Do you actually need one though?
    I typically use the Pro Controller as well and turn off the GamePad, but I'm just considering it since I imagine production of the battery will end soon (if it hasn't already). I'm not sure I could part with over €30 for it.

Advertisement