Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will arrive on Wii U in Europe on May 11th.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/specter-of-torment-release-info/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just bought a perfect 2nd hand wii u with Super Mario World 3D, Super Mario U, Super Smash Bros & Mine Craft for €150.

Then bought a pro controller for €35, Wind Waker for €19 and Mario Kart 8 for €20

Total - €224

The Switch, a Pro Controller and Mario Kart 8 would cost me €470

Difference - €246 & 5 games

Why would you buy a Switch now, especially if your only interested in playing on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just bought a perfect 2nd hand wii u with Super Mario World 3D, Super Mario U, Super Smash Bros & Mine Craft for €150.

Then bought a pro controller for €35, Wind Waker for €19 and Mario Kart 8 for €20

Total - €224

Why would you buy a Switch now, especially if your only interested in playing on TV.

2nd hand console vs new are hardly ever gonna be properly comparable in fairness. Loads of people have bought the Switch. I understand the only playing on TV thing of course, but I think the portability use will appeal to a lot who don't think it will actually appeal to them. It's definitely hardware that needs to be tried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Total - €224

Cos it's super nice?

Good buys, though.

Corholio wrote: »
    2nd hand console vs new are hardly ever gonna be properly comparable in fairness. Loads of people have bought the Switch. I understand the only playing on TV thing of course, but I think the portability use will appeal to a lot who don't think it will actually appeal to them. It's definitely hardware that needs to be tried out.

I accept your point on 2nd hand v new. I just think it's a great situation that you can play all of the best switch titles right now on the wii u for a fraction of the cost, especially given the fact that people are selling them to buy the Switch. It's kind of a bizarre scenario.

Yes, portability wise, even though I haven't played one, I imagine the switch craps all over the gamepad, which I think lasted an hour for me on a charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Total - €224

Where did you get the pro controller?

budgemook wrote: »
    Where did you get the pro controller?

Used on Amazon, looks perfect

I accept your point on 2nd hand v new. I just think it's a great situation that you can play all of the best switch titles right now on the wii u for a fraction of the cost, especially given the fact that people are selling them to buy the Switch. It's kind of a bizarre scenario.

Yes, portability wise, even though I haven't played one, I imagine the switch craps all over the gamepad, which I think lasted an hour for me on a charge.

The thing is, it doesn't. The Switch lasts 3 hours in portable mode playing Zelda: BOTW. The gamepad lasts anywhere between 3-5 hours depending on screen brightness, the features used (such as the camera and microphone), wireless communication use, ambient temperature, and other factors. Perhaps the battery is knackered in the gamepad. They may have played it to death.

You can buy replacements online and change them easily yourself. There's an official beefier battery that you can buy from Nintendo that bumps battery life up to 8 hours.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack/10848338.html

You can't change the battery in the Switch, well you personally can't. When the time comes Nintendo say you'll have to send it to them where they'll charge you for a new battery and for use of the service.

sligeach wrote: »
    The thing is, it doesn't. The Switch lasts 3 hours in portable mode playing Zelda: BOTW. The gamepad lasts anywhere between 3-5 hours depending on screen brightness, the features used (such as the camera and microphone), wireless communication use, ambient temperature, and other factors. Perhaps the battery is knackered in the gamepad. They may have played it to death.

You can buy replacements online and change them easily yourself. There's an official beefier battery that you can buy from Nintendo that bumps battery life up to 8 hours.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack/10848338.html

You can't change the battery in the Switch, well you personally can't. When the time comes Nintendo say you'll have to send it to them where they'll charge you for a new battery and for use of the service.

Thanks for that. It's more evidence that if you own a Wii u, I think, at the present moment & until more games are released, you'd be mad to get the switch. And if you own neither, a second hand Wii is cheap and gives you all the present switch titles plus a whole host of others that I see a lot of people want ported over anyway, e.g Zelda WW, people are literally throwing money at Nintendo for old rope

Oh yeah, and no Virtual Console

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I honestly can't see myself getting a Switch for another 2 years, maybe never. As I've no interest in playing beyond the house, it offers me nothing the Wii U can't already do. It really is like a very expensive portability extension for 2 games right now if you already own a Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I honestly can't see myself getting a Switch for another 2 years, maybe never. As I've no interest in playing beyond the house, it offers me nothing the Wii U can't already do. It really is like a very expensive portability extension for 2 games right now if you already own a Wii U.

As a Wii U owner with a list of at least 5 games off the top of my head I'm even yet to start there's no way I'll be getting the Switch until at least this Xmas. Might even wait till the following one if there's no deals on it that float my boat.

But here's the thing a LOT of people don't own a Wii U. Heck there's a lot of people who don't even know the Wii U happened so let them at it is what I say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU now joins the PS3 and Xbox 360 ASA console that represents undeniable value bought on the 2nd hand market but, that's that people.
    I mean, you are crapyou looking at a modest library of done extraordinary games, but that's all that there'll be.
    The releases are grinding to a halt, with all new developer attention on the Switch.
    Right now is still early adopter territory.
    The vast bulk of eventual Switch owners will buy one in the years to come, not 2017.
    So, it's hardly a criticism of the console to not purchase right now.
    But, if you want to have Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey or whatever we see at the E3 shortly, you'll have to own a Switch.
    There's tons to enjoy on the WiiU, but you are tethered to the house with it.
    I wouldn't have thought it mattered either, until I bought one and found being able to bring my game of BotW with me and found it fantastic.
    It's like buying a car, as long as you don't have one you'll consider the idea expensive and irrelevant, once you own one you'll wonder how you ever got by not owning one.

It's a little different to owning a car with all due respect. We all know what portable gaming is, and if it ain't what interests you, and you have a Wii u or access to one, there's nothing else to justify buying one right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a little different to owning a car with all due respect. We all know what portable gaming is, and if it ain't what interests you, and you have a Wii u or access to one, there's nothing else to justify buying one right now.

Well, I have a WiiU, and I could justify buying one.
    And I'm pretty happy with it.
    Certainly, the added utility to the likes of BotW, being able to play it elsewhere other than within the appropriate distance of a traditional console setup, is great, and the improvements to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes that the ultimate version too.
    Not to mention the various exclusives and multiplatform titles on the way, that the WiiU is simply not going to get.

12 months ago I would have argued that the WiiU was a console worth owning, and it still is, particularly at preowned prices, but a person would be kidding themselves if they believed that it's back catalogue would suffice over the two years until they predict they'll be ready to buy a Switch.

If Nintendo matter to you now, if their style of game making is important to you, then the Switch is where it's at, it's where their creative efforts are focused.

Using a car ownership as an analogue is appropriate, because people don't realise how they ever coped without one, once they own one.
    The Switch offers something that no console has effectively offered before, and it is only when you own one that you can see it.
    It's very hard to write or describe it, certainly it's easy to dismiss until you try it out for a while.

And I would say that most WiiU owners will be the first to move to the Switch format, Nintendo enthusiasts typically are always the first to open their hearts to innovation from the company, with the rest of the potential market to come along later, as buzz grows.

You justified one cos u have use for it as a mobile device. I don't, same as others.

I also know exactly what it feels like cos I can leave the couch with my Wii u gamepad and carry on the game upstairs. You're selling the extra on the go feel which I have zero need for.

Yes lots of Wii U owners will buy one, out of pure brand loyalty. That's the problem. If loads hadn't, then Nintendo may not have taken us Wii U owners for granted, or effectively started the Switch as if the Wii U never existed.

Sure it makes perfect business sense, but don't preach to us Wii U owners who feel absolute no need for the Switch.

I'd agree, having owned Gameboy, GBA, DS, it's not introducing anything new. It's a big step up in the portable market, yes, but not from Wii U? No. It is supposedly a hybrid after all. I'm not mad about portable, loved some of the games, like Link's Awakening, which goes right back to the beginning, but the Switch?

There's resentment, a lot of it to be honest. And Nintendo don't help themselves either. No apps, no original games in the first couple of months, no VC, delaying and preventing the greatest game ever from being all it could be, until the point of it has to come out, their financials were fast approaching, so they piggybacked on Zelda: BOTW, used the Wii U version up until the Switch was revealed then cast aside, I can't even describe how badly they shunned this version.

So what's up next? MK8, let's port that too. Getting the strongest whiff that they clearly aren't ready. But screw that. They need money. Their only original software is a pile of puke. 1, 2 Switch. It's an embarrassment, it's a tech demo. I've a list as long as my arm of what's wrong with Nintendo. For every Mario Galaxy, SM64, Super Metroid, OOT, Splatoon, BOTW, SMM, SSB, there's awful, conservative decision making by Nintendo. And they're nobody's friend, they're as ruthless and greedy as anybody else out there. My Nintendo? It's a joke. Their eShop sales, when they have any are embarrassing. Their online is miles behind the competition. SCamiibo? Better not.

Sorry for the rant, but I kept it away from the Switch thread and believe me there's so much more I could say and want to say. Going out for some fresh air.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the Switch has HD Rumble. :rolleyes: We need more smilies.

^nah you're spot on

I loved/love my Wii U but can't see myself trusting Nintendo for a very long time after the way that ended/Switch began

Listen, they made this cynical cross over decision after much thought. Basically it would have went like;

But ummm first year is basically a rehash of Wii U, how is that not a huge FU to those 10 mill?

Well screw them 10 mill, there's about 90 mill new wallets to attack.

Perfect business sense, but we've every right to rant.

You justified one cos u have use for it as a mobile device. I don't, same as others.

I also know exactly what it feels like cos I can leave the couch with my Wii u gamepad and carry on the game upstairs. You're selling the extra on the go feel which I have zero need for.

I gave you one reason to buy a Switch, and it happened to be about it's nature as a self contained system, and that system can be docked with a TV and used as a home system, with an environment to match that of other home consoles.

Again, nothing wrong with the WiiU but that console's story is over, in terms of new releases.

I did say that many WiiU owners, Nintendo enthusiasts, will buy into the Switch, but it's a recognition of quality rather than a blind purchasing of anything with a Nintendo badge.
    If such a thing was that relevant, the legions of Wii owners would have beaten a path to their local games retailer and bought a WiiU, and they certainly didn't.
    The sales numbers of Switch consoles also suggests that while there may be a significant portion of them that once owned a WiiU, or still do like me, more did not or perhaps had owned another Nintendo device, or no Nintendo devices at all.
    Yes lots of Wii U owners will buy one, out of pure brand loyalty. That's the problem. If loads hadn't, then Nintendo may not have taken us Wii U owners for granted, or effectively started the Switch as if the Wii U never existed.

You do seem to be raising the idea of Nintendo having let the WiiU owners down, although objectively they released many first party titles that were of great quality, so it was the lack of 3rd party support that did a lot of damage, as well as a certain image left by the Wii on those who ultimately went on to buy an XB1 or PS4.
    But there was no crime committed by Nintendo, there are plenty of good products that have failed to light the scene on fire, and the WiiU was one of them, despite a wonderful library of titles.
    Sure it makes perfect business sense, but don't preach to us Wii U owners who feel absolute no need for the Switch.

Unless you imagine that the forum here is some sort of echo chamber where only one point of view is permitted, you have to expect that when you make a statement someone will have the option to disagree, or at least debate the point.
    I am certainly not preaching, and find the suggestion unfair.

I respect your point of view, I just don't agree with it.
    But there are a few people who bought into the Switch at launch, and subsequently sold them on, because they did not perceive the value in the console, over the WiiU, and that's their opinion in action right there, and good luck to them.

My Switch is living next to the WiiU and is getting more play than it's predecessor, though the PS4 is getting a lot of play, from my son, who is dividing his time between BotW and Dark Souls 3.

And, finally, I would suggest that a similar argument might have been made at the release of any new generation of hardware, and most people play it safe and wait a year or two before buying into it, and that's cool too.

• Advertisement

It just gets tiresome, your constant defence and almost blind love for the Switch. We were told to stay clear of the Switch thread because that is essentially a love in, and criticism is pounced upon.

It's interesting that you ignored the original poster and decided to preach to me again.

There's resentment, a lot of it to be honest.

Sales would suggest that there isn't.
    There's a vocal minority with access to a computer and the internet and are making themselves heard, but the numbers of those who are hurt and let down aren't reflected in the numbers buying into the Switch product and the games. It's not reflected either in the developers who are moving to the platform either.
    So what's up next? MK8, let's port that too. Getting the strongest whiff that they clearly aren't ready. But screw that. They need money. Their only original software is a pile of puke. 1, 2 Switch. It's an embarrassment, it's a tech demo. I've a list as long as my arm of what's wrong with Nintendo.

And you mentioned them, a lot, and pretty much, aside from a handful of others, no one agrees with you.
    For every Mario Galaxy, SM64, Super Metroid, OOT, Splatoon, BOTW, SMM, SSB, there's awful, conservative decision making by Nintendo. And they're nobody's friend, they're as ruthless and greedy as anybody else out there.

The games you mention are best in class, and Sony would give their right arm for first party games of that continual quality. Microsoft struggle to even have one exclusive property to compare.
    As for their being no one's friend, honestly, they are a BUSINESS.
    A business that makes money, that's it's role, to provide a service/product that makes money, and judging by their accounts they are pretty good at it.
    Ruthless and greedy?
    Now you are just personalising the behaviour of a company half a planet away, and they are not.
    They make games to sell to people, people who don't have to buy if it's the wrong product, and the games released in these early months have sold well, very well, better than Nintendo have experienced in years, and that's the best barometer of the quality of Nintendo and their products, people are voting with their wallets, with no guns to their heads.
    My Nintendo? It's a joke. Their eShop sales, when they have any are embarrassing. Their online is miles behind the competition. SCamiibo? Better not.
    Sony only pulled up their online socks with the PS4, up to that point their effort was poor.
    MS have redesigned the menu systems of their current and previous consoles several times, and not always for the better. Their hardware decisions and early insistence on the Kinect were poor ones and cost them sales.
    Your opinions on the Amiibo figurines are well known and also a minority view, plenty of other people enjoy them as you know well, and no significant content is locked away behind them either.

Sorry for the rant, but I kept it away from the Switch thread and believe me there's so much more I could say and want to say. Going out for some fresh air.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the Switch has HD Rumble. :rolleyes: We need more smilies.

Ah sure, you should get it off your chest, I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

It just gets tiresome, your constant defence and almost blind love for the Switch. We were told to stay clear of the Switch thread because that is essentially a love in, and criticism is pounced upon.

It's interesting that you ignored the original poster and decided to preach to me again.

Take issue with the post, not the poster, please.
    thanks.

I respect your point of view, but you should be willing to debate it, instead of just insulting the posts.
    I have no reason to insult you at all.
    And I believe you are genuine in your feelings on the Switch console. I've indicated that I have seen others do the same, and that's cool.
    But this is a place for discussion and debate, otherwise a person might as well PM only people with the same points of view, which would be very boring.

Loads of Wii U owners will buy it because they like the Switch as well though and love the idea of it, not just because of brand loyalty. If someone has zero need for portable play than I don't suspect those would buy it of course, although the first year game lineup is impressive imo, regardless of portable/non-portable. Wii U has a great library though so theres certainly no need for the Switch, or another console for now absolutely.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You do seem to be raising the idea of Nintendo having let the WiiU owners down, although objectively they released many first party titles that were of great quality, so it was the lack of 3rd party support that did a lot of damage, as well as a certain image left by the Wii on those who ultimately went on to buy an XB1 or PS4.

But there was no crime committed by Nintendo, there are plenty of good products that have failed to light the scene on fire, and the WiiU was one of them, despite a wonderful library of titles.

I think they did let us down and it is their fault. They effectively gave up on the system really early. The thing was doomed from the start but Nintendo never tried really to salvage it. They gave up after Smash Bros. if not before. The last AAA game was Xenoblade Chronicles X and that was so far in production it couldn't be stopped. The console churned out turds like Star Fox Zero, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival. A pile of 2D platformer because that was easier than trying, 2 Zelda ports, and for me not a proper 3D Mario.

If Nintendo don't have faith in their own product then why should anyone else? More? No Metroid, Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge, no F-Zero(Miyamoto wouldn't even entertain it because of controls, if it happens this gen, he has some answering to do).

Some games sold really well on Wii U regardless of the hardware numbers.

Yep, it just seems like Wii U + right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

So far yeah. Once Mario Odyssey & other games that arent ports gets released it'll feel new. It's undoubtedly what they the WiiU should have been.
    I had a switch & sold it as I decided to cut back on gaming. The system wasn't very portable for me though. It was too big without a backpack or that tbh.
    If they removed the ugly bezel on the screen it'd help.

It's not though. It offers a lot of people new ways of playing high quality games for the very first time. Preference to portability or not doesn't change the huge attraction it is for others, this is where this like or dislike for the Switch gets a bit muddled imo.

Wii U owners got to play Wii U games and still can, this strange chip on shoulder about ports I find quite strange considering people have the actual games they complain about being ported. They can still play these games. Analysing a consoles lifetime in separation to it's actual game library doesn't make sense imo. We are consumers, I bought a Wii U and ended up getting quite a few games, I got over and above the value of the product. The next console is just that....the next console.

I definitely don't see this 'resentment', of course people question a fair few of Nintendo's decisions and rightly so, but I think any Wii U owner who has this 'resentment' needs to get over it imo. Buying or not buying the Switch comes down to a consumer question in the end. I can fully understand someone not buying it certainly as I mentioned above. People who bought one aren't 'mad' to buy one either though, and I've certainly highly enjoyed owning a Switch so far.

So in other words, peace and love to all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Switch still sits in a weird place for me as a Wii U and 3DS owner. I'm all about the software. I couldn't care less what branded controller I'm holding. I have no brand loyalty so common marketing buzz words like 'Nintendo Magic' falls flat, as it should.

If I didn't own a Wii U, I would have more than likely picked one up by now as every main release would be new. For now I'll happily wait it out. .

I still have a heap of Wii U games to play and Sony are killing it at the moment. We'll see what E3 brings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's resentment, a lot of it to be honest. And Nintendo don't help themselves either. No apps, no original games in the first couple of months, no VC, delaying and preventing the greatest game ever from being all it could be, until the point of it has to come out, their financials were fast approaching, so they piggybacked on Zelda: BOTW, used the Wii U version up until the Switch was revealed then cast aside, I can't even describe how badly they shunned this version.

I'm kinda on the fence about BotW. Yeah, they quickly repackaged something that was designed around the Wii U, and then stripped it of anything that might give the Wii U bonuses over the Switch version. That's pretty lame. However, due to the crossover, we now have a Zelda that's not bolted to the system it was designed around. Which might seem minor, but after attempting Skyward Sword numerous times, is now something I'm grateful for happening.

Advertisement