Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I have a WiiU. I have a 3DS. I still justified buying the Switch.
    But I also harbour resentment - I feel betrayed by the lack of backwards compatibility, the lack of VC, the seeming inconsequence of my previous purchases.
    But I'm also delighted by the Switch, how much more use I get out of the portability than I ever thought I would, and for the life of me cannot remember what life was like before, when I had to split my time between 3DS and Wii U.
    I'm so confused - who's side am I on???
    Corholio wrote:
    Wii U owners got to play Wii U games and still can, this strange chip on shoulder about ports I find quite strange considering people have the actual games they complain about being ported.

Well, the Switch Mariokart port takes players out of the WiiU online pool, which is detrimental to the Wii U game, and then it starts charging for access to that pool. I thinks that's a pretty valid reason for Wii U owners to get a little upset. I am aware of the logical arguments as to why that's unreasonable, all I'll say is that getting upset is an emotional reaction so take your logic and go XOR yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Gizmo55 wrote: »

The availability date has been pushing out every week since I first checked in early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

budgemook wrote: »
    The availability date has been pushing out every week since I first checked in early March.

There's 8 in stock now, no?

Edit: Delivery May 20-23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    There's 8 in stock now, no?

Edit: Delivery May 20-23

Indeed there does seem to be now! It was saying In Stock May 18th earlier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

You justified one cos u have use for it as a mobile device. I don't, same as others.

I also know exactly what it feels like cos I can leave the couch with my Wii u gamepad and carry on the game upstairs. You're selling the extra on the go feel which I have zero need for.

Yes lots of Wii U owners will buy one, out of pure brand loyalty. That's the problem. If loads hadn't, then Nintendo may not have taken us Wii U owners for granted, or effectively started the Switch as if the Wii U never existed.

Sure it makes perfect business sense, but don't preach to us Wii U owners who feel absolute no need for the Switch.

Nintendo dont care about their fans.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

The games you mention are best in class, and Sony would give their right arm for first party games of that continual quality. Microsoft struggle to even have one exclusive property to compare.

That's a matter of taste, I'd take NO 1st party Nintendo game over the likes of Uncharted, Last of Us, Gears of War, Forza, Horizon, Bloodborne, God of War... imo those destroy the cartoony stuff Nintendo do, those may be more "fun" but I'm an adult and like amazing stories and graphics. Nintendo games to me are €20-30 games I play for a hour here and there, like indie games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    That's a matter of taste, I'd take NO 1st party Nintendo game over the likes of Uncharted, Last of Us, Gears of War, Forza, Horizon, Bloodborne, God of War... imo those destroy the cartoony stuff Nintendo do, those may be more "fun" but I'm an adult and like amazing stories and graphics. Nintendo games to me are €20-30 games I play for a hour here and there, like indie games.

You could not sound more condescending and like an idiot like you do there. Like a Nintendo game is somehow incapable of these things. Give me a break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ultimately yes, it's a matter of personal taste, but don't make the mistake of considering Nintendo games as cartoons for kids compared with the content on other formats.
    I don't think placing a player in a military game on the PS4 has any more relation to reality than Splatoon, and certainly demonstrate, in recent years, a dearth of new ideas.
    Don't get me wrong, there's a place for everything out there and I'm lucky to own a Switch, WiiU, XB1 and PS4, among other consoles, and it's all good.
    I like my Mario Kart 8 but not to the exclusion of Drive Club, I like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild but I also love Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surely should have a big burly man as your avatar then, rather than a cartoon dog :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Amazing graphics? But most of those are console games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Here we go...

Here we go what? Just because I like to play my games on a superior machine, you plebs couldn't keep up with the 8k resolution on your baby consoles. Its not like you *need* 30fps anyways, 8 is enough for me when they look this good.

I've played BoTW, Splatoon, Mario Galaxy, whatever, they're about a 4/10, not the worst graphics I've ever seen. No Mans Sky is better than any of them, the graphics were great.

I would reply to your post decrying your pitiful 8K but I'm busy fornicating in my Lawnmower-Man-esque digital immersion hareem.

First person in with a Princess Peach Real Doll wins the thread.... (All eyes turn to Sligeach... would he really take his Bowser-like love/hate of all things Nintendo to the logical extreme? Does he own the ultimate amiibo? I mean, unlike the others I guess that one does do something...)

You could not sound more condescending and like an idiot like you do there. Like a Nintendo game is somehow incapable of these things. Give me a break.

They can but don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo can do great graphics, that's not in question. But when it comes to stories they're awful. And that's Miyamoto's fault, he doesn't think it's important. Just look at all the Mario games. Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario rescues Peach. Yawn! They should expand the Mario universe(don't want to hear Mario Galaxy jokes).

Corholio wrote: »
    Surely should have a big burly man as your avatar then, rather than a cartoon dog :pac:

Boards.ie gave me this avatar and never changed it as my browser doesn't show them.

We're talking about first party console games.
    Ultimately yes, it's a matter of personal taste, but don't make the mistake of considering Nintendo games as cartoons for kids compared with the content on other formats.
    I don't think placing a player in a military game on the PS4 has any more relation to reality than Splatoon, and certainly demonstrate, in recent years, a dearth of new ideas.
    Don't get me wrong, there's a place for everything out there and I'm lucky to own a Switch, WiiU, XB1 and PS4, among other consoles, and it's all good.
    I like my Mario Kart 8 but not to the exclusion of Drive Club, I like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild but I also love Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

Forza > MK8, it's all taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo can do great graphics, that's not in question. But when it comes to stories they're awful. And that's Miyamoto's fault, he doesn't think it's important. Just look at all the Mario games. Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario rescues Peach. Yawn! They should expand the Mario universe(don't want to hear Mario Galaxy jokes).

Nintendo just presume you have an imagination, sadly don't think a lot of people do these days. I also think you've conveniently picked one of the most simplistic Nintendo titles.

I'm from an era where you used your imagination to fill in a game's story. I have a thrilling backstory for just why a strange blue thing called Horace HAS to go skiiing over and over again, and why he doesn't just stay over the safe side of the road once he's crossed it once.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Forza > MK8, it's all taste.

Drive Club > Forza

The Need for Speed (3DO) > than everything else :p

sligeach wrote: »

Games like Captain Toad have certainly broadened the scope of the franchise.

Stories, narrative driven games, yeah, maybe Nintendo pall a bit there, but then I own multiple systems so there's tons of games to play.

And it's a joke at this stage that Peach keeps getting kidnapped, but the gameplay, Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine, just stellar.
    Also, Metroid Prime seem to have solid story lines, and certainly the Legend of Zelda franchise is all about the story building, not to mention Xenoblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Hasn't the Mario universe been expanded to death already with all the Yoshi games, WarioWares, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansions and Super Luigi Bros, etc? We've even got Zelda and Mario crossovers with MarioKart 8, and Mario meets Sonic in the Sega universe crossover with the Olympic Games games? Not to mention Super Princess Peach, and the Smash Bros games are the ultimate multiverse crossovers. :pac:

• Advertisement

Nintendo just presume you have an imagination, sadly don't think a lot of people do these days. I also think you've conveniently picked one of the most simplistic Nintendo titles.

I'm from an era where you used your imagination to fill in a game's story. I have a thrilling backstory for just why a strange blue thing called Horace HAS to go skiiing over and over again, and why he doesn't just stay over the safe side of the road once he's crossed it once.

Imagination? Right, sure when I went to see Age of Ultron I sat infront of a black wall and just imagined a story.
    Drive Club > Forza

The Need for Speed (3DO) > than everything else :p

Drive Club? That the half arsed beta driving fee to play game? Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hasn't the Mario universe been expanded to death already with all the Yoshi games, WarioWares, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansions and Super Luigi Bros, etc? We've even got Zelda and Mario crossovers with MarioKart 8, and Mario meets Sonic in the Sega universe crossover with the Olympic Games games? Not to mention Super Princess Peach, and the Smash Bros games are the ultimate multiverse crossovers. :pac:

I mean within the Mario series itself. Just because it started out with Bowser doesn't mean it has to be that way all the time. It shouldn't be canon. We already know the plot of Super Mario Odyssey.

Drive Club? That the half arsed beta driving fee to play game? Right.

You haven't played in a while then...
    Ah well...
    Back to Forza with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lots of so called 'grown up' games have terrible stories. Destiny and Dragon Age: Inquisition immediately spring to mind. Same with God of War, who plays that for the story line? I enjoyed those games in different varying respects, because gameplay is always king. Uncharted 2 which is imo is easily the best has some terrible writing in it, luckily the gameplay supersedes it enough to not matter that much.

Imagination? Right, sure when I went to see Age of Ultron I sat infront of a black wall and just imagined a story

Bad choice. You'd have been better off if you'd done just that.

Unless you're arguing for spectacle, rather than plot or storytelling. That it did have.

Banjo wrote: »

Unless you're arguing for spectacle, rather than plot or storytelling. That it did have.

Sounds like the last CoD!

Banjo wrote: »

True, but you know what I mean.
    Corholio wrote: »
    Lots of so called 'grown up' games have terrible stories. Destiny and Dragon Age: Inquisition immediately spring to mind. Same with God of War, who plays that for the story line? I enjoyed those games in different varying respects, because gameplay is always king. Uncharted 2 which is imo is easily the best has some terrible writing in it, luckily the gameplay supersedes it enough to not matter that much.

Destiny is dreadful, I'd take a terrible story over no story or dialog boxes with gibberish noises though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Star Fox Zero really is goddamn dreadful. I'd love to know what was going through Miyamoto's head when he came up with some of this rubbish.

Star Fox Zero really is goddamn dreadful. I'd love to know what was going through Miyamoto's head when he came up with some of this rubbish.

While I don't agree that the controls break the game, a new version for the Switch with traditional controls would be smashing tbh.
    I really enjoyed the time I spent with the game, it brought back many sweet memories playing the originals, in particular Lylat Wars on the N64.

• Advertisement

What was going through his head was something along the lines of "****, how do I take an on-rails shooter with no need for any map or inventory or other easy answer and irrevocably marry it to a 2 screen experience without just sticking a 2 frame animation of Slippy's face on it screaming for help? **** **** ****! And the submission deadline is tomorrow! And I'm naked on stage at Mary-Beth's sweet sixteen and all my teeth are falling out! What will I dooooooo?" except in japanese.

In fairness to the man, it's a pretty interesting solution to the problem of "Overcomplicate a very simple formula so we can remind people about the 2nd screen on the WiiU Gamepad." It very nearly works. But I guess this is what happens when you try to force a gameplay solution to a marketing issue, and I think I'm steering this back towards ground we've all trodden many times before so I'll shut up now...
    (re : Age of Ultron vs Imagination + blank screen) True, but you know what I mean.
    I think I do. But do you? Yes, I know how patronising that sounds. I am unrepentant!
    Bigger and better graphics don't always make for better story or a deeper emotional connection to the material - if anything they frequently get in the way, as the ability to create a bigger spectacle drives the story towards that bigger spectacle whether or not it's the right place for it to go, if the budget is there. But that's really a symptom of the magpie nature of consumers, and maybe outside the scope of a discussion about Nintendo.

At the end of the day, Miyamoto wears his "play before plot" credentials on his sleeve. I for one believe that he's right - the game should be fun first. The level of invention and knee-slapping laugh-out-loud joy that say, a Super Mario Galaxy brings to the table might be diminished if they had to keep coming up with plot-points that explained why, say, you're suddenly in a Toy world or on a pirate ship; or if they had to keep level themes to within the narrow spectrum allowed by a relatively sane plot. That doesn't mean that you can't bring a decent story to it afterwards, but making that a requirement at the expense of gaming experiences would be detrimental in my opinion.

Advertisement