Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Started playing Star Fox Zero over the weekend. I understand all the hatred for the control method but it's actually not all that bad a game....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xofpod wrote: »
    Started playing Star Fox Zero over the weekend. I understand all the hatred for the control method but it's actually not all that bad a game....

Exactly, and the more you play the more transparent the control scheme will be.
    Just don't take too long a break from it, or you'll have to learn the controls all over again!
    Sadly, Star Fox Guard is the type of game hard to imagine without the twin screen set up, so probably not destined for a wider audience on the Switch, but if they managed it, along with a traditionally controlled Star Fox Zero, I'd certainly buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Xofpod wrote: »

I started playing through it properly last week as well, I had only played the first 3 levels.

I enjoyed it after putting about 4/5 hours into it, there were a few frustrating parts, some of the bosses were a bit tricky the first time, I'm sure after a few playthroughs I'll get better at them.

I found the motion controls a lot easier to get used to this time, I've just put 80 hours into Breath of the Wild on the Switch using the motion controls on that and I think this helped! The other tip I read was to press select so the cockpit view is up on the tv when you're doing any of the dog fights or boss fights and you need more precise aiming, it's much easier to see what's going on!

It's definitely not a bad game and I look forward to replaying it and getting all the medals but I still feel if they had used classic Starfox controls then this game would have been received better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yoshi's Wooly World is fantastic! I'm only on world 2 but it's a joy to play. Looks, gameplay, music, level design are all top notch.

I think only Super Mario 3D World beats it on Wii U.

It's actually challenging enough to get all the daisies!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Yoshi's Wooly World is fantastic! I'm only on world 2 but it's a joy to play. Looks, gameplay, music, level design are all top notch.

It really is fantastic, so mellow and beautiful, it has longevity and gorgeous music. It's my favourite platformer on Wii U. It caught me pleasantly by surprise, I wasn't expecting to like it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's gotten a great conversion to the 3DS as well.
    Aside from the lack of 3D hub it is all there, and with extras.
    I've both editions and they're wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

sligeach wrote: »
    It really is fantastic, so mellow and beautiful, it has longevity and gorgeous music. It's my favourite platformer on Wii U. It caught me pleasantly by surprise, I wasn't expecting to like it so much.

Started playing this recently with the missus in co-op. We're only 6 or so stages in but it's good fun.

You need to be even more careful of your partner in this game than you did in Gunstar Heroes (which we played and beat co-op) because as soon as one of you scrolls the screen off the other even a millimetre, the other dies instantly. And unlike NSMB or Yoshi's Island there seems to be no way to manipulate the floating bubble of the dead character closer with eggs, tongue or controller mashing. If it's a level that scrolls upwards the bubble will keep pace with the screen and stay out of reach for as long as it annoyingly can.

Also if you accidentally hit the other player with your tongue, they lose ALL their eggs and go into your mouth.

While it is cool that you can throw your partner up to hard to reach areas, we seem to 99 times out of a 100 accidentally screw each other over.

All the cool little custom Yoshi colours obtained from Amiibos are sweet.

• I cannot for the life of me beat that last boss for Starfox Zero
    I give up. Wouldn't mind I really enjoyed the game up until that point

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me beat that last boss for Starfox Zero
    I give up. Wouldn't mind I really enjoyed the game up until that point

Yeah it's not easy at all, I was stuck on it for a few hours and finally beat him! I'm not in any hurry to play through it again because of that last fight!

Also nice to hear positive things about Yoshi's Woolly World, I was looking at picking it up to play with my daughter in the future, she's only 3 now but when she's a little older I'd like some nice easy co-op games to run through!

• On the verge of completing Devils third; some thoughts.

Great fun, and I cannot understand how it got so critically slammed.

Worst thing is these type of games are becoming less and less frequent over the years. Not everything has to be AAA standard to be enjoyable and most importantly fun.

Like seriously IGN the clowns gave this a 3.5/10 as if it's unplayable. Ridiculous I say.

It was a good play and underrated to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

IGN gave God Hand 3/10 and will never receive a click from me because of it. Clowns is right.

Like the WiiU itself, all it takes is a bunch of wanna be online-influencers trying to have some sort of super power of knowing what's in it out, casting their judgement on a game or system,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a mad sort of game really but I enjoyed it as well. It has it's flaws definitely but it's a pretty fun game to play and has quite good ideas that maybe some never were fully realised. The multiplayer was supposed to have been really good fun as well before they closed down the server.

Quite a number of the PS2, Xbox and GC classics would be replete with rough edges, but they were forgiven for the fun and daring to try something different.
    As opposed to much of the over produced vacant pap that's churned out in annual installments these days.

IGN gave Skyward Sword 10/10 and should have never receive a click from me again because of it. Clowns is right.

IGN gave Skyward Sword 10/10 and should have never receive a click from me again because of it. Clowns is right.

We should start a club

• We will rock you level in super Mario maker is probably the best thing ever

New Wii U system update, the first in 18 months. Nothing exciting included in it, however. The usual "stability" line is rolled out. More than likely trying to combat some piracy issues. They could have improved the OS more but like the console they moved on long ago. And especially with the Switch out, they'll not do anything to detract from that.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/p/431

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw somewhere that the update mentions the end of miiverse

• CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw somewhere that the update mentions the end of miiverse

Isn't it still used on the 3DS. Been using it to capture screenshots on my Wii U for months now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

New Wii U system update, the first in 18 months. Nothing exciting included in it, however. The usual "stability" line is rolled out. More than likely trying to combat some piracy issues. They could have improved the OS more but like the console they moved on long ago. And especially with the Switch out, they'll not do anything to detract from that.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/p/431

To remove the exploit allowing custom firmware no doubt.

Inviere wrote: »
    To remove the exploit allowing custom firmware no doubt.

Can't blame them there in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Over the weekend I got a bunch of lads together and we played 6 player Smash Bros 4 on Wii U using 4 gamecube controllers, the gamepad and a 3DS.

It was great craic. I've had a Wii U for like a year and the GCN/Wii U adaptor for like 6 months and it was the first time I'd managed to have a big session ever.

Also, on another random tangent, is there any way to access options like data management on Wii U without the gamepad? My sister broke hers and I let her use mine to move some files and stuff while I was visiting, but since I left she wants to format a new memory card on her console.

Is she just completely out of luck due to the Wii U's insistence you REALLY NEED THAT GAMEPAD. HONESTLY. THIS WILL WORK.

Everyone will love the forced gamepad inclusion.

Everyone...

Is there any way to access options like data management on Wii U without the gamepad? My sister broke hers
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a way. Maybe buy a broken one and do a repair job yourself?
    Is she just completely out of luck due to the Wii U's insistence you REALLY NEED THAT GAMEPAD. HONESTLY. THIS WILL WORK.

Everyone will love the forced gamepad inclusion.

Everyone...
    I find the range is rubbish on it too. Not exactly "remote" if you're still in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Nothing quite prepares you for that moment, like 6-7 hours into Skyward, where you're on for 4000th glorified tutorial bit and you suddenly think "I think there might finally be a Zelda mainline game I don't like."

DLC for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will arrive on August 29th for several platforms including Wii U. It's called Pirate Queen's Quest, it's free for Kickstarter backers, otherwise you have to pay. It'll also be on that other thing called the Switch. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

DLC for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will arrive on August 29th for several platforms including Wii U. It's called Pirate Queen's Quest, it's free for Kickstarter backers, otherwise you have to pay. It'll also be on that other thing called the Switch. :p

Shantae was pretty decent. It's a fairly run of the mill platformer, not too challenging, and certainly not up there with Mario games, or even the upcoming Rayman, but it's definitely worth the asking price. Depending on the cost, this could be a definite buy from me. I wouldn't expect more than a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I've been playing Smash Bros. for the first time in 3 months (no idea why I left it that long) and realised it's games like this are the reason I haven't bought a Switch yet. There's just so much amazing stuff on the Wii U why would I, ahem, switch just yet? I think Mario Odyssey will be the clincher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

WiiU has fantastic games so keep an eye out for fire sales where you an pick them up cheap. Also not many realize you can use it as a portable (sorta) in bed for example, just keep the console tucked away in the corner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yep, the next couple of months will be great for filling out the collection.

Advertisement