Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

gflood wrote: »
    WiiU has fantastic games so keep an eye out for fire sales where you an pick them up cheap. Also not many realize you can use it as a portable (sorta) in bed for example, just keep the console tucked away in the corner..

I use it loads as a portable, have a 3ds that never gets past the front door aswell, this is why I'm not arsed about the Switch. Then Mario Odyssey comes out and I know I'll crumble. Can't have a new Mario game in the world and me not playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The Wii U was before its time in a way. The technology wasn't cheap enough at the time to do what they wanted it to do which is ultimately where the switch comes in.

I considered buying a switch but honestly it'd be a waste of money. Mario interests me but I'm in no rush for it. I'll buy Zelda on Wii U when I get the time to give it. There's no other interesting exclusives right now.

Maybe Switchmas 2018 when it's cheaper, probably bundled with something and I've gotten through my Wii U backlog.

Plus Destiny 2 just launched which kinda takes up too much time to justify well anything else to be honest.

The switch really suits non Wii U owners though. You'd be mad not to buy it in fact if the Wii U passed you by.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

gflood wrote: »
    WiiU has fantastic games so keep an eye out for fire sales where you an pick them up cheap. Also not many realize you can use it as a portable (sorta) in bed for example, just keep the console tucked away in the corner..

The fire sales in terms of Wii U software I think are largely done. They have been for some time. There's possibly a few few deals left on ga that released late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

sligeach wrote: »
    IGN gave Skyward Sword 10/10 and should have never receive a click from me again because of it. Clowns is right.

The newest Zelda getting 10's is a bigger joke, it ran at 15fps sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The death mountain section was unplayable at times due to slowdown. But come on, it's got about 70 other hours of top quality stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

The death mountain section was unplayable at times due to slowdown. But come on, it's got about 70 other hours of top quality stuff!

So? You just said it, unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

A game doesn't need to be objectively perfect for it to score a ten. No game is perfect however many do deserve the highest accolade for the overall package they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Was there ever much of a fire sale? If we're going by the Gamecube, in terms of a Nintendo console underselling, then I suspect that whatever hasn't been ported from Wii U to Switch is going to retain its value something fierce. Hell, I guess the Wii U version of BotW has a GCN Twilight Princess existence ahead of it. Even with the Wii U remaster, the original TP hasn't taken a hit in price and the Wii U production run of BotW is gonna be similarly limited as the GCN Twilight Princess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    So? You just said it, unplayable.

So, you just check in with the Nintendo forum when bored, throw some shade for kicks?

The weight of opinion, both popular and critical, is against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

He said "unplayable at times", about a single section of an incredibly vast game and if you look at how much of the overall experience those times make up it's perhaps a little easier to see why they're dismissed. I mean, I don't judge my marriage on the five minutes immediately after googlemaps took us down an unfamiliar road and my mrs refused to scroll ahead to see where we were going, leaving me headed into the unknown while the clock ticked down to a crucial deadline because in the scheme of things it's an eyeblink. An incredibly stressful, massively revealing, rot inducing eyeblink that I'll never get an apology (nor will I apologise) for. So just put it behind you, man.

I gave my WiiU copy away. I have a feeling when I have to send my kids to Bovine University I'm going to regret that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Nothing about games makes sense, because at it's core it's a kind of art expression, but we want to define it as if it was accountancy.

Like I don't think BOTW is perfect, but I do think it's one of the best games ever made.

Conversely, I DO think that Zelda A Link Between Worlds is perfect, but if pressed, I wouldn't say it's as good as BOTW.

How can an imperfect game be better than a perfect one?

Well I'm glad you asked....

*runs away*

*car screeching*

*plane flies overhead*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Spoken in hushed tones, A Link Between Worlds is my favourite of them all. That's also a 10 for me but so is Deadly Premonition so what do I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I still think I prefer Wind Waker HD, but in hindsight BOTW is well worth a 10 too. Otherwise just do away with 10s cos no game is perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say OoT and LttP were the best, right up to BotW.
    But BotW doesn't in any way reduce how fantastic OoT and LttP were, they are still as essential as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say OoT and LttP were the best, right up to BotW.
    But BotW doesn't in any way reduce how fantastic OoT and LttP were, they are still as essential as ever.
    I completely agree with this, LttP was my first, and still favourite, Zelda game!  OoT then blew me away and is still a close second to LttP. BotW is up there with both of them in my opinion!  Having this new incredible adventure doesn't diminish the other games in the slightest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm one of the very few that didn't enjoy OOT. I found the jump from 2D to 3D jarring (I couldn't get into Mario 64 either). I finished OOT, but it was a chore. Memories of countless traipses through Hyrule Field and Navi never shutting the f*** up. LTTP will probably always be my favourite. It's hard to fault that game in any reasonable way. It just has a magic to it. BOTW I really enjoyed too - but for very different reasons. Indeed it's so different from previous Zelda incarnations it could nearly be a new franchise all in itself. No way am I ever pursuing 900 korok seeds though.

Little shíts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

manual_man wrote: »
    I'm one of the very few that didn't enjoy OOT. I found the jump from 2D to 3D jarring (I couldn't get into Mario 64 either).

I found the jump between 2D and 3D Mario jarring because it went from being a very focused platformer to being something more akin to an adventure game where you could get stuck simply because you didn't have a direction towards your objective. However, looking at the Zelda franchise, that's what it was like in its very first incarnation. Based on what I've seen of game play from The Legend of Zelda, it would appear you were more or less stuffed if you didn't have guide on hand for certain parts (setting the bush on fire being the oft-stated example).

briany wrote: »
    I found the jump between 2D and 3D Mario jarring because it went from being a very focused platformer to being something more akin to an adventure game where you could get stuck simply because you didn't have a direction towards your objective. However, looking at the Zelda franchise, that's what it was like in its very first incarnation. Based on what I've seen of game play from The Legend of Zelda, it would appear you were more or less stuffed if you didn't have guide on hand for certain parts (setting the bush on fire being the oft-stated example).

I know what you mean. Got stuck for a long time in Zelda: LttP looking for a medallion (as I remember it, I didn't even know that I needed the medallion). The game came with a sealed mini guide (no interwebs in those days) - felt like a right cheat opening that. :rolleyes:

Only other game that I remember being completely stuck in was Super Metroid (now there's a game that made the transition to 3D pretty well). No objective markers in those days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But it came with the big instruction book. It doubled as a partial guide. I remember borrowing the game from someone and they were shocked I finished it without that book.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But it came with the big instruction book. It doubled as a partial guide. I remember borrowing the game from someone and they were shocked I finished it without that book.

Yeah, I remember it; it had parts of the map blacked out. The part I got stuck on was where in Maridia where you needed to blow open one of the tubes with a power bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Hi,

I bought super mario bros u for the wii u. The disc is sratched or faulty and keeps getting stuck. I want to finish the game for my inner child sake, but would be slow to buy another disc.

So I thought I could purchase a download from nintendo shop link on my wiiu. But it states this software is unavailable. Does anyone know why this is, surely I don't have to go down the disc route ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Steviesol wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought super mario bros u for the wii u. The disc is sratched or faulty and keeps getting stuck. I want to finish the game for my inner child sake, but would be slow to buy another disc.

So I thought I could purchase a download from nintendo shop link on my wiiu. But it states this software is unavailable. Does anyone know why this is, surely I don't have to go down the disc route ?

Thanks

More or less guarantee you'll pay less for it 2nd hand on eBay than a download from Nintendo. Plus, when you're finished, you can sell it on if you want.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

More or less guarantee you'll pay less for it 2nd hand on eBay than a download from Nintendo. Plus, when you're finished, you can sell it on if you want.

Take a look on Adverts as well, probably find a cheap one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Thanks, but discs are a no go in this house. They never last, young kids. Don't ask,that's why I specifically want to buy it digitally but cannot. Does anyone know why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Steviesol wrote: »
    Thanks, but discs are a no go in this house. They never last, young kids. Don't ask,that's why I specifically want to buy it digitally but cannot. Does anyone know why ?

€17.09 from cdkeys. It's the Luigi one too. I've bought many games from them and never had a problem.

https://www.cdkeys.com/nintendo/wii-u-games/new-super-mario-bros-new-super-luigi-wii-u-game-code

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Are there other games on the eShop that you can see but show as not available to buy?
    Just check there's nothing weird going on that might prevent you from redeeming a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Im thinking of picking up a wii u,i just cant justify getting a switch yet money wise.

Would you recommend it? generally want it for brath of the wild and mario kart 8..

any other game recommendations or tips if i do go for it?

• bigphil2 wrote: »
    Im thinking of picking up a wii u,i just cant justify getting a switch yet money wise.

Would you recommend it? generally want it for brath of the wild and mario kart 8..

any other game recommendations or tips if i do go for it?

I'm a recent picker upper too!

Maybe have it about 12 months now I'd say. (Although this is my second time to purchase it)

Played, completed the following:

Bayonetta 1 & 2 (Fantastic)
    Zombi U (Actual survival horror)
    Super Mario 3D World (Fun but a tad bit easy)
    Starfox Zero (Got stuck on last level, **** that ****)
    Devils Third (Good laugh, bit a of a hidden gem)
    Hyrule Warriors (Dynasty with Zelda / Link, great fun but repetition can grate on your after long sessions)

Have yet to complete or play the following;
    Super Mario Maker - (An Endless hoot, I've to test out some levels from OwayneOtt or I'm dead apparently :()
    Pikmin 3 (I'm about 7 or so hours in. Great strategy game but man it's starting to get tough)
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Played about an hour or so, decent but also frustrating)
    Wonderful 101 - (Yet to play it)
    Zelda Twilight Princess HD (Never played it originally, yet to play it)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U is great too if you like 2D platformers.

I've just started playing it again. Does anyone know if you can turn off the Gamepad when playing it? Using the pro controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I got mario Kart 8 and Zelda:Wind Waker (jesus that tutorial is painfully dragged out)
    Ill get breath of the Wild next week and id say ill pick a few old wii games up too as they are f**k all 2nd Hand..
    Im really liking the controller too.

Advertisement