Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry wasn't sure where to post this.

Does anyone know if CEX accept "Nintendo Selects" Wii U games (The games with the red covers) when trading in games?

Thanks

Afaik they don't make a distinction between one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

sligeach wrote: »

Sleep tight Wii u. We loved you like a brother xxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

iamtony wrote: »
    Sleep tight Wii u. We loved you like a brother xxx.

Still goin’ on like Donkey Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Still goin’ on like Donkey Kong.

And speaking of which - picked up the Wii Donkey Kong Country Returns a couple of weeks ago and playing the crap out of it. The Switch is a good piece of kit but the backwards compatibility of the Wii U was/is magic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU legacy for me is, not only in the excellent range of 1st party software, but also the easy HDMI out for my Wii collection, not to mention the compatibility with it's accessories.
    My Wii titles include some rare ones, so it's cool to have access to them on the main tv.
    That said, I've a decent plasma in the games room now, so it's likely the WiiU will be making the move there from the living room in the coming weeks.
    The Wii as well, easy to region mod, so I've access to every region Wii title and Gamecube title as well, not to mention the other "benefits" of having the homebrew channel installled.
    I used to have an illicit hdd hooked up, full of "content" but packed it in, as I collected all the significant titles in their physical form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think the "fancy Wii" is the Wii U's legacy in its afterlife. I mean, is there anything else it's got going for it at this point? Given a lot of its killer apps are making the jump to the Switch, and the fact the Switch essentially takes the Wii U's USP and improves on it tenfold, the Wii U is kinda out in the cold in terms of reasons to keep on with it from a consumer standpoint. Sure, the only holdouts in terms of ports is 3D world, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X and NSLU and I don't think they're gonna be holdouts for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    and the fact the Switch essentially takes the Wii U's USP

Not for me, the asynchronous multiplayer was the USP of the Wii U for me, but sadly something that wasn't taken advantage of that much. But it's the main reason I've held on to NintendoLand, and will continue to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Len_007

The one thing it's got over the Switch? Netflix! (Currently...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Sure, the only holdouts in terms of ports is 3D world, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X and NSLU and I don't think they're gonna be holdouts for long.
    Mario Maker, Smash Bros. Maybe Captain Toad. And theres room for the likes of Monster Hunter (although I'd prefer 4 to 3) and Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Personally I'd like to see Disney Infinity make the jump, using the Skylanders switch idea of storing a DB of all your activated bits and bobs so you don't need to pull a skip behind you when you game on the go.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see Disney Infinity make the jump, using the Skylanders switch idea of storing a DB of all your activated bits and bobs so you don't need to pull a skip behind you when you game on the go.

Disney Infinity is dead Dave, as is the Lego equivalent.
    I wouldn't say Skylanders is too far behind either.
    So, unlikely to see those franchises appearing on a Switch near you.

I said "like", not "expect"
    I'm not an idiot.
    I'm a hopeless optimist.

I said "like", not "expect"
    I'm not an idiot.
    I'm a hopeless optimist.

That's like looking at Great Grandma Peggy's cooling corpse and still making plans for her next birthday, eventually people are going to stop patting you on the head and will, instead, insist on sedating you.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's like looking at Great Grandma Peggy's cooling corpse and still making plans for her next birthday, eventually people are going to stop patting you on the head and will, instead, insist on sedating you.

I bow to your clearly superior experience in the field of staring at dead old ladies and making plans.....

I bow to your clearly superior experience in the field of staring at dead old ladies and making plans.....

You literally have no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Came across this yesterday, kept meaning to post it but then kept forgetting. I think it's pretty cool.

Portable Nintendo Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ajOX5Y0Sg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you think that's cool, you should try a Switch...
    ;)

Star Lord wrote: »
    If you think that's cool, you should try a Switch...
    ;)

I was just thinking that it's a testament to the design of the Switch manages to do all the above and in a slim and efficient profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »
    Came across this yesterday, kept meaning to post it but then kept forgetting. I think it's pretty cool.

Portable Nintendo Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ajOX5Y0Sg

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If only a portable console existed which allowed you to play AAA games.

• Advertisement

My main take away from the whole thing is that there is actually someone in this world that kept the auto-download Napster app on their Wii U home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was a Napster app?

Napster is still a thing?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    There was a Napster app?

Napster is still a thing?

Words right outta my mouth as it appeared on my home menu.

So, who among us is still using the WiiU regularly?
    Mine hasn't been used in months, probably heading the gamesroom upstairs in the coming week or so.
    Pity, as I've not invested anything like enough time in many of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Mine hasn't been used in months, probably heading the gamesroom upstairs in the coming week or so.

Mine neither, thanks to the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I still play stuff like Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101, One Piece and Project Zero on Wii U from time to time. Tropical Freeze too although will probably pick it up soon on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I still play my Wii U mainly because the Switch is is either being used by my son or is all the way in the other room, that's 2 or 3 whole metres away.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pity, as I've not invested anything like enough time in many of the games.

Not regularly, but I still hop on to play Super Mario Maker from time to time and make levels if I'm feeling inspired - not nearly as much as I was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I do but less so obviously. Really want to finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

• Advertisement

Once in a while for 4player mariokart (only have 1 pro and the 2 joycons) or Disney infinity with the kids. Otherwise it's just a dust magnet. Still gets more use than the snes mini though :)

Advertisement