Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I use it every day, it has one of the best web browsers on any console, just having a browser makes it better than some. It has other significant advantages too.

I buy and play games on it all the time. Bought forma.8 on Friday for €2, haven't had a chance to play it yet but it's supposed to a great game with Metroid style elements of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm currently using it to play Forgotten Sands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I keep it mainly because of shovel knight. Love playing it with mini snes controller

Playing it with joycons or even pro controllers wouldn't be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

have been doing feck all with the wii u lately occasionally pop it on to play some of the games i brought in sales, (looking at you darksiders) but its mostly been gathering dust. i dont think i could bring myself to sell it tho. I love some of the games on there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

i dont think i could bring myself to sell it tho. I love some of the games on there still.

Nooo never! There is something satisfying about owning the worst selling console ever (Virtual Boy aside) with a stack of games for it. :)

I still wonder about the future collectability of it. I know the definitive versions exist on the Switch but you know how pedantic collectors can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I decided to give Super Mario 3D World a whirl.

Currently on world 6 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I hacked mine recently cause that's fun and it lets me play some games on the Gamepad alone that aren't technically supported. Also trying to get through a few games I started but never finished (looking at you Wind Waker).

Nintendo Is Now Using Wii U To Promote Mario Tennis Aces For Nintendo Switch
    mario_tennis_aces_for_nintendo_switch_ad_on_wii_u_gamepad.jpg?w=780

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/06/08/nintendo-is-now-using-wii-u-to-promote-mario-tennis-aces-for-nintendo-switch/

I meant to post this yesterday but forgot about it. I got the notification on my Wii U as well, I found it obnoxious. It's like Nintendo saying, "Remember that incomplete piece of $h1t€ we dished out to you on Wii U? Well now we've finished it on Switch. You can have it for another €60."

P1$$ off!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo Is Now Using Wii U To Promote Mario Tennis Aces For Nintendo Switch
    mario_tennis_aces_for_nintendo_switch_ad_on_wii_u_gamepad.jpg?w=780

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/06/08/nintendo-is-now-using-wii-u-to-promote-mario-tennis-aces-for-nintendo-switch/

I meant to post this yesterday but forgot about it. I got the notification on my Wii U as well, I found it obnoxious. It's like Nintendo saying, "Remember that incomplete piece of $h1t€ we dished out to you on Wii U? Well now we've finished it on Switch. You can have it for another €60."

P1$$ off!

• Advertisement

Then don't ring my f***ing doorbell, stirring the hornet's nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Never change sligeach <3

Justice4WiiiU!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

The Wii u was honestly the best console I've ever owned. Including mega drive, nes, Atari, ps4, switch ...

The quality of games were just above everything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU was great, but not really in "greatest" territory, not in the same league as the SNES certainly, and the breadth of titles on the likes of the PS2/3, not in that league either.
    But it still had great content, oddles of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Shush you and go back playing your overpriced Wii U portable pfffft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Way I see it, Wii U was just the Wii for people who deserved it.

If the Wii U came out 5 years after the Wii instead of 10, it'd be a different story.

I wonder how long Nintendo will sleep on the switch success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If the Wii U came out 5 years after the Wii instead of 10, it'd be a different story.

I wonder how long Nintendo will sleep on the switch success.

Where are you getting 10 years from? It came out 6 years after, 2006 —-> 2012

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Where are you getting 10 years from? It came out 6 years after, 2006 —-> 2012

No idea.

The Wii U failed for a whole meriad of reasons but right up there is that both Wii U and 3DS got off to horrendous starts. Nintendo couldn't afford to save both and chose the 3DS as the portable market is where they've had the bulk of their success for the past 2 decades and more. They slashed the 3DS by $100 within months of launch and focused most of their attention there.

The Switch exists because in this day and age where games cost more and more and game development length is longer, Nintendo had to merge their handheld and console departments. The jump to HD too was really painful for Nintendo. Though it's easier for them now, having both a HD handheld and console I just couldn't see as feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, trying to portray the 3DS as a console ever in need of saving and somehow connected to the failure of the WiiU is not true.
    Please, let's see some evidence there to back up your opinion.

The 3DS was a monstrous console with or without direct Nintendo support. I'm counting 42 physical titles on my shelf. Only one or two are questionable.

Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop

https://kotaku.com/5825495/nintendo-3ds-gets-sudden-massive-price-drop

Nintendo's Hardware Sales Aren't Looking so Hot

https://kotaku.com/5825489/nintendos-hardware-sales-arent-looking-so-hot

Nintendo reports third consecutive annual loss as Wii U sales fizzle out

https://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5689878/nintendo-earnings-fy-2013

Nintendo were posting losses for several years. Sales picked up for 3DS following the price cut, but it was costing Nintendo heavily for every sale, then along came the Wii U and it struggled too. A price cut on Wii U might have helped but Nintendo couldn't afford another one. Nintendo had concentrated on steadying the 3DS ship and Wii U was getting very few games. It's easy finding profit and price cut stories of the 3DS but I'm trying to Google search how Nintendo focused on the 3DS over Wii U but I keep getting recent news articles.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/is-nintendo-focusing-too-much-on-the-3ds-over-the-wii-u.541071/

I might try searching later. Nintendo had more goodwill with their handhelds than their consoles. 3rd party support was better there whereas they quickly abandoned Wii U. Nintendo did nothing to help that. Did they try getting a Pokemon game for Wii U? No. But they put Smash Bros. on 3DS alright and it released before the Wii U version. The Wii U was a floating wreck after less than 2 years. Before it launched, I had a sense it was doomed. I liked it though. With the Switch, I don't like many aspects of it, I'm surprised it's done this well and I don't know how it's going to do long-term. Before it launched I thought it could reach 30-50 million units depending on several factors.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, trying to portray the 3DS as a console ever in need of saving and somehow connected to the failure of the WiiU is not true.
    Please, let's see some evidence there to back up your opinion.

The first year, Nintendo let third parties take the first 7 ish months, and the console didn't sell well. They lowered the price of it, which likely meant they couldn't do the same for the Wii u, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

SO ... still not a lot of reason to buy a switch if you already bought a Wii U then it seems.

“New” Smash Bros game is yet another Wii U port to add to an ever growing list of games making its way across with **** all effort made by Nintendo.

I’m honestly beginning to think that I could end up missing the switch because I own (and loved/still love) my Wii U.

Where is the killer game to pull me and others across?? Only one so far I’d like to try but not blown away by is the new Mario game. I’ve no issue waiting a few years even to play that.

The price point is high in general and really high if you already own 95% of the games albeit on a slightly inferior system.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

SO ... still not a lot of reason to buy a switch if you already bought a Wii U then it seems.

“New” Smash Bros game is yet another Wii U port to add to an ever growing list of games making its way across with **** all effort made by Nintendo.

I’m honestly beginning to think that I could end up missing the switch because I own (and loved/still love) my Wii U.

Where is the killer game to pull me and others across?? Only one so far I’d like to try but not blown away by is the new Mario game. I’ve no issue waiting a few years even to play that.

The price point is high in general and really high if you already own 95% of the games albeit on a slightly inferior system.

ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild on the go was what pulled me over to Switch. As well as indie games that rival any AAA game imo, like Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story and Stardew Valley and plenty more.

I don't think smash is a port either with changes in movesets, core mechanics, stages and characters.

There's plenty of reason to move on from the Wii U in my opinion. It was a disaster on a hardware level with good to great software barely saving it for the few who bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The 3DS was a monstrous console with or without direct Nintendo support. I'm counting 42 physical titles on my shelf. Only one or two are questionable.

All mine are downloads... does that count?

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    All mine are downloads... does that count?

It definately makes sense for a handheld. My Switch is 95% digital and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It definately makes sense for a handheld. My Switch is 95% digital and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It is handy but also Nintendo games are too over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone here actually play Devil's Third? See it in cex for €6

Advertisement