Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild on the go was what pulled me over to Switch. As well as indie games that rival any AAA game imo, like Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story and Stardew Valley and plenty more.

I don't think smash is a port either with changes in movesets, core mechanics, stages and characters.

There's plenty of reason to move on from the Wii U in my opinion. It was a disaster on a hardware level with good to great software barely saving it for the few who bought it.

Arms looks like fun but not a system seller for me personally.

Xenoblade chronicles 2 is a fantastic looking game. I potentially could sway me to purchase a switch if I ever finish the first one on Wii U.

Mario and Rabbids. Meh

Mario O looks good but again wouldn’t sway me. At some point I’d like to play it but not a system seller for me.

Zelda botw is on Wii U.

The indies are on other platforms.

The Wii U hardware isn’t the disaster that you make it out to be. I found/find it a solid unit for the hundreds of hours I’ve used it. It’s definately not as slick to look at as a switch but it’s an older gen console. They rarely do.

Anyway I’m not here to bash the Switch. I would love to justify buying one but tbh I just don’t see how I can.

I really think the switch has been Nintendo correcting their terrible Wii U marketing with a slightly more powerful machine and full handheld mode which it extended from the Wii U.

Without question the handheld mode is the big selling point here. Maybe I need to start taking public transport more to justify it. Lol

As I just mentioned in the Switch thread though if Monster Hunter World ever gets a release on Switch I’ll buy one in a heartbeat. Sitting on my recliner playing that for hours would be sweeet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At the end of the day, for me at least, a system just needs one game that I can't play anywhere else, or that offers a familiar experience in a new very compelling way that I have to have.
    The Switch had that in spades over it's first year, again for me at least.
    This more fallow period in 2018 is still punctuated with enough gaming goodness to make it a continued go to system, in tandem with the PS4, for 90% of the gaming going on in my household.
    Mario Odyssey is incredible btw, if you have enjoyed any Mario platformers in the past then this is automatically a game for you.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At the end of the day, for me at least, a system just needs one game that I can't play anywhere else, or that offers a familiar experience in a new very compelling way that I have to have.
    The Switch had that in spades over it's first year, again for me at least.
    This more fallow period in 2018 is still punctuated with enough gaming goodness to make it a continued go to system, in tandem with the PS4, for 90% of the gaming going on in my household.
    Mario Odyssey is incredible btw, if you have enjoyed any Mario platformers in the past then this is automatically a game for you.

Personally I’d want three or four games on purchase to justify it and also know there’s others coming that I have an interest in.

It’s juat not there yet for me as I own a Wii U. Hopefully it will move into that space in the coming 12 months or so.

Mario looks wonderful. I’d expect no less tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well I love my Wii U, but 2 online multiplayer games I can now play on the go, Rocket League and Fortnite as well as Switch exclusives like Mario and Mario and Rabbids have left me more than happy with the switch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Well I love my Wii U, but 2 online multiplayer games I can now play on the go, Rocket League and Fortnite as well as Switch exclusives like Mario and Mario and Rabbids have left me more than happy with the switch.

I am seriously **** at Rocket League and to a lesser extent Fortnite.

I also don’t really get the love in for Fortnite no matter the platform.

• Advertisement

I am seriously **** at Rocket League and to a lesser extent Fortnite.

I also don’t really get the love in for Fortnite no matter the platform.

In not trying to convince you, or anyone, just saying what I like about the switch over my Wii U. Everyone is different, and if it's not yet for you that's all good. Incidentally I still use the Wii U more than switch purely because my son hogs the newer console.

Given up trying to get a go on Breath of the Wild on the Switch, so I have bought the Wii U version. 20 sterling on eBay, pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Given up trying to get a go on Breath of the Wild on the Switch, so I have bought the Wii U version. 20 sterling on eBay, pleased with that.

It's a great experience on Wii U. The only one thing I'd recommend is to lower the resolution to 720p in the settings. You take a little hit in terms of sharpness, but it makes up for it with a noticeably smoother gameplay experience. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I am seriously **** at Rocket League

One of the great joys of Rocket League is when you look at the clock, and it's at +15:46 and it's still 0:0 because everyone else in the game is just as 'good' as you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Len_007

manual_man wrote: »
    It's a great experience on Wii U. The only one thing I'd recommend is to lower the resolution to 720p in the settings. You take a little hit in terms of sharpness, but it makes up for it with a noticeably smoother gameplay experience. Enjoy

I did not realise you could lower the resolution of BOTW, is it not 720p by default?

Also, any one else use the Amazon/Love Film app? I've signed into it using my sister's Prime account. It's fairly clunky to navigate, thumbnails don't load with any urgency. But, it works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Wii U just got its first firmware update since last year. Just a stability release, no new (or removed) features, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Len_007 wrote: »
    Also, any one else use the Amazon/Love Film app? I've signed into it using my sister's Prime account. It's fairly clunky to navigate, thumbnails don't load with any urgency. But, it works!

I take it you never deleted the original app? Tried to redownload it last year and Nintendo told me that Prime is no longer being offered on Wii U and they won't even let you redownload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's a new game released on the Wii U this week. Don't get too excited though, it's
    Just Dance 2019
    . :( There are, however, some very good games on discount in the eShop(this week's eShop PR will be released soon), like Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Reduced from €15 to less than €4, it looks from a video I watched to be as tough as nails.

Edit: €2 on the Russian eShop.

Not clicking that stink.

Wii U - El Silla - Arcade Edition Launch Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N_mcQVtWMOs

Looks like thrash and the music is dreadful. I know it's only €1 but it's free if you feel like befouling your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

sligeach wrote: »
    Not clicking that stink.

Wii U - El Silla - Arcade Edition Launch Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N_mcQVtWMOs

Looks like thrash and the music is dreadful. I know it's only €1 but it's free if you feel like befouling your phone.
    just seen it and thought it was funny that they were releasing it now and on Wii u:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

With the Wii shop closing down at the end of January, I finally got around to transferring my Wii account to the Wii U. Fairly straight forward process apart from the fact that the batteries in the first Wiimote I tried using had leaked internally! Guess that's what happens if you leave them in a box for a few years!!

Logging back into the Wii U shop, it's amazing how many Virtual Console games are available there that aren't on the Switch. I know Nintendo have retired the Virtual Console branding but I feel they are missing a trick here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does copying stuff over cause any issues with saves already on the Wii U?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I thought you had to rebuy (for a small fee) stuff for the Wii U that you owned in the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I thought you had to rebuy (for a small fee) stuff for the Wii U that you owned in the Wii.

I was listening to the NVC podcast recently and they said three was a $1 fee to bring your purchase across to Wii U. Not sure what they charged in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I think it overwrites any Wii save files on the Wii U. Wasn't really an issue for me but might cause problems if you had more progress on the Wii U save file for a game.

The upgrade fee is so that you can play those games directly from the Wii U menu (with more controller options) rather than having to go through the virtual Wii. I had a check last night after the transfer and it is €1.99 per game.

I have Virtual Console games on my Wii. I never bothered transferring them over to my Wii U. It just seemed like too much hassle and I completed them, I don't think I'll want to play them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Its the stuff on the Wii can be played on the Wii emulator inside the Wii U that he will be able to transfer over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

With the Wii shop closing down at the end of January, I finally got around to transferring my Wii account to the Wii U. Fairly straight forward process apart from the fact that the batteries in the first Wiimote I tried using had leaked internally! Guess that's what happens if you leave them in a box for a few years!!

Logging back into the Wii U shop, it's amazing how many Virtual Console games are available there that aren't on the Switch. I know Nintendo have retired the Virtual Console branding but I feel they are missing a trick here.

I logged into the Wii U eShop for the first time in yonks and saw, in the middle of all the fuss about the Switch, the Wii U VC's been accumulating a low-key roster of Turbografx games. Proof, as though it was needed, that nothing about the Wii U will ever make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I can't, for the life of me, link my Nintendo ID to my Wii U.

Had it on a 3DS, which i've since factory reset, and swapped for the Wii U. When i try to enter the details, it tells me they are wrong. I know they're not, i've reset passwords and everything to try and rectify it.

Any ideas?

Or is it a case now that with Wii U support all but gone, that I will be unable to use my Nintendo ID with the Wii U?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Far as I remember there was an nnid and a my Nintendo account and possibly something else. So make sure you're using the right one. No idea if the back end authentication is still up though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A wild Wii U post appears!

Limited Run games are releasing the ill fated Wii U version of Axiom Verge, US region only it looks like. Seems like they got screwed over badly by BadLand publishing, who constantly led people on by saying it was definitely going to be released in Europe etc for the past 2-3 years.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1106571425178140674?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They confirmed it will be US region only the whole affair can be fund here https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-15-the-high-cost-of-a-wii-u-retail-release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

The R.A.G.E in Dublin are trading Wii U games now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

budgemook wrote: »
    The R.A.G.E in Dublin are trading Wii U games now.

Cool can't wait to trade in my console and games for €7.

Advertisement