Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Cool can't wait to trade in my console and games for €7.

No one is forcing you to go there.

I always like to pick something up there, find the staff knowledgable and don't mind paying the small premium for items that are generally in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Which reminds me I must round out my Wii U collection before that library goes and Gamecubes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This also applies to the 3DS.
    As of September 2019, credit cards cannot be used to add funds on systems in the Nintendo 3DS family or Wii U consoles.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-3DS-2DS/Usage-/Nintendo-eShop/How-to-Add-Funds-in-Nintendo-eShop-Using-Credit-Cards-1626660.html

I'm not fully clued up but this seems like a pain in the @R$€;. Does that mean I can't just buy a single game, but instead have to top up my account by preset amounts before making a purchase? I always used my credit card for purchases. A game, say for example could be €6.84, especially when using the Russian eShop, but now will I have to top up by €10, leaving €3.16 sitting idle in my account? Can Nintendo earn interest on money like that sitting in an account?

When I click below it's asking me to merge accounts.

https://ec.nintendo.com/my/balance_add

Picked up Terraria, monster Hunter 3 ultimate and Rayman legends over the weekend. Terraria is one I've been after for a while, I actually have monster Hunter 3 on the Wii but haven't played it and Rayman is for my better half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

uchimata83 wrote: »
    Picked up Terraria, monster Hunter 3 ultimate and Rayman legends over the weekend. Terraria is one I've been after for a while, I actually have monster Hunter 3 on the Wii but haven't played it and Rayman is for my better half.

3 Ultimate is basically Monster Hunter on the Wii but with 2 additional full expansions worth of content on top. Importantly it also has fully functional online and local multiplayer (Locally Wii U can only multiplayer with 3DSes)

MH Tri (3) on the Wii is only half the game it used to be, because when Gamespy went down, many moons ago, MH Tri online went with it, which contained more or less 75% of the content.

Tl;DR: MH Tri on the Wii is currently only 25% of it's total potential content, whereas MH3 Ultimate on Wii U is 300% of Tris full power. There's no downside to your additional recent purchase.

Edit: I just remembered, because I'm a huge goddamn MH 3rd generation nerd, that the one feature you have in Tri that isn't present in ANY other monster hunter game, before or since (3 Ultimate included): Split screen multiplayer arenas.

Arenas in MH are hard as balls though, but if you ever want to couch co-op with someone in a limited number of boss battles, don't throw your Wii disc away.

• Advertisement

Bayonetta I & II will vanish from the Japanese and European Nintendo Wii U store next week

https://www.destructoid.com/bayonetta-i-ii-will-vanish-from-the-japanese-and-european-nintendo-wii-u-store-next-week-566434.phtml

I don't know why this is happening and I'd like for Nintendo to give an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Well, the disc versions being dirt cheap was nice while it lasted.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Well, the disc versions being dirt cheap was nice while it lasted.

You can pick both up for 18 euros in cex??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

One thing I really like about the Switch is that it is simple, small, cool and quiet. My bloody Wii U is a noisy complicated mess of wires and chargers. Only keeping it now for a few remaining Will/Wii U games I have on the backlog or might replay one day. There are some gems I've left to play/complete including Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime trilogy, DK returns, Rayman origins ... Plus I've got to finish the Wind waker and Twilight Princess, both of which became a drag and I never felt like completing them. Then I want to keep the Galaxy games and 3d world forever :)

conormario wrote: »
    One thing I really like about the Switch is that it is simple, small, cool and quiet. My bloody Wii U is a noisy complicated mess of wires and chargers. Only keeping it now for a few remaining Will/Wii U games I have on the backlog or might replay one day. There are some gems I've left to play/complete including Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime trilogy, DK returns, Rayman origins ... Plus I've got to finish the Wind waker and Twilight Princess, both of which became a drag and I never felt like completing them. Then I want to keep the Galaxy games and 3d world forever :)

I've the wiiu permanently connected for Wii and wiiu games and then swap it out for a Wii for GC games.

Dk returns is a fantastic platformer but shoehorning in the motion controls is awful, there is literally no need for them in that kind of game.

• Advertisement

A new game is releasing for the Wii U tomorrow. It's called Space Intervention and is priced at $0.99. I presume Europe will get it too. It looks like a Space Invaders clone.
    WiiU_SpaceIntervention_03.jpg

WiiU_SpaceIntervention_01.jpg

GOAT potentially.

PSA: All RCMADIAX published Wii U and 3DS software in America and Europe is scheduled to be delisted by the end of March 2020 - Ending our 7 year relationship with Nintendo.

Yay! :p
    Our titles released in Japan in conjunction with COSEN will remain unaffected at this time.

Boo! :mad:

Awful "developer". Should never have been allowed on the eShop.

I loved Yoshi’s Woolly World, it was an amazing game and part of that was its awesome soundtrack. The game's music composer, Tomoya Tomita, has released some unused tracks that didn't make it into the final product. And they're great. There's 13 tracks and you can find them below.

https://youtube.com/user/777GADD/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

sligeach wrote: »
    I loved Yoshi’s Woolly World, it was an amazing game and part of that was its awesome soundtrack. The game's music composer, Tomoya Tomita, has released some unused tracks that didn't make it into the final product. And they're great. There's 13 tracks and you can find them below.

https://youtube.com/user/777GADD/videos

Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The kids asked could they play Kirbys Epic Yarn yesterday. I said sure go ahead.

5 mins later I was thinking I don’t remember buying that game. Then it hit me, it was a copy I bought cheap and was somewhat valuable if left sealed.

Well it’s not sealed any more but on the plus side they enjoyed playing it.

It also got me looking at my Wii and Wii U games again.

Played a bit of Lylat Wars last night for the first time in ages. Great game.

Must give the new one a go. Have it sitting in the collection but the reviews were soooo bad I didn’t have the heart to give it a go. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Epic yarn is great. So relaxing. Hard to believe it's running at SD 480p. Looks grear via HDMI on the Wii U. Must go back and find and complete the secret levels.

nintendoo wrote: »
    Epic yarn is great. So relaxing. Hard to believe it's running at SD 480p. Looks grear via HDMI on the Wii U. Must go back and find and complete the secret levels.

Is it running in HD when I have it going through the Wii U?

Would make sense. I was shocked it looked so good tbh. Looked like it could have just came out!!

****! A quick google says yes. I never knew that. Only played a couple of Wii games on Wii U up until yesterday.

Might start collecting a few Wii games. Any excuse. Lol

I didn't like star fox zero (although my favourite in the series is adventure, so those games are not really my cup of tea). It looks amazing but the controls are horrendous.

I bought what I thought was a physical copy of star fox guard, but it turns out it's only the download code in the box.

Is it running in HD when I have it going through the Wii U?

Would make sense. I was shocked it looked so good tbh. Looked like it could have just came out!!

****! A quick google says yes. I never knew that. Only played a couple of Wii games on Wii U up until yesterday.

Might start collecting a few Wii games. Any excuse. Lol

Not HD, but upscaled AFAIK, plus pure digital connection over HDMI. If you want an even better image try it with an IPS monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Hmmm I have Mario galaxy 1 and 2 there.... never thought about playing them on the WiiU

.... new New Years resolution :)

• Advertisement

Hmmm I have Mario galaxy 1 and 2 there.... never thought about playing them on the WiiU

.... new New Years resolution :)

Me too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't like star fox zero (although my favourite in the series is adventure, so those games are not really my cup of tea). It looks amazing but the controls are horrendous.
    A possibly great entrant to the series spoiled by idiosyncratic controls.

I bought what I thought was a physical copy of star fox guard, but it turns out it's only the download code in the box.

I made sure I got the physical boxset with both games included on disc!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I made sure I got the physical boxset with both games included on disc!

And that edition was in Gamestop for 15 euros early last year too :(

Speaking of the devil, some nice reductions on the gamestop site on wiiu games at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Speaking of the devil, some nice reductions on the gamestop site on wiiu games at the moment.

I haven't turned the WiiU on in about three years....
    Reminds me of my 2nd wife!!!

giphy.gif

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't turned the WiiU on in about three years....
    Reminds me of my 2nd wife!!!

giphy.gif

Super Marx Brother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

10 I paid for it.

iamtony wrote: »
    10 I paid for it.

€60 I paid for it at launch. Then I heard it was all motion control and didn’t have the heart to take it out of box.

I paid €60 for it at launch also. The game is a total disaster due to the controls, it's like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time. I played 1 or 2 levels, said "f*** this, life's too short" and never went near it again. I played a bit of the Guard game also, it's just not very interesting. SFZ isn't a very long game either, not that I'd ever want to finish it. If it was fixed on Switch and like €10, I'd MAYBE consider it. It was a waste of money on Wii U, but then I bought nearly everything for it, good, bad and indifferent. I think it's the one purchase I regret and that I gave Gamestop the money.

I never enjoyed the dual screen aspect of the Wii U.

It's disconnecting having to jump from the tablet to the TV/Monitor and takes you out of the experience while you move your head. You still have to pause the game anyway or find a safe space in the game world while you consult the tablet. I guess it's really designed for multi player ... i.e. one player on TV, one on the tablet. But having multiple devices (e.g. multiple switches) negates this.

BOTW producer Eiji Aonuma, states this somewhere (need to find ref) as a reason they dropped the dual screen aspect in that game. Also ... there is that argument that they didn't want the Wii U version looking better than the switch version, but that's a different issue.

It works a hell of a lot better on the (3)DS as the dual screens are right next to each other and you don't need to move your head. i.e. it's seamless and really adds to the experience. e.g. it's great having a real time map right beneath the main display.

I'm wondering will we see a dual screen/foldable version of the Switch in the future ... given the Nintendo DS history/expertise and the fact that phone manufactures are trying to push/sell dual screen/foldable devices.

• Advertisement

The Nintendoland disc actually had some of the best examples of dual screen play and asymmetric play.
    Donkey Kong's Crash Course was great fun and Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Mario Chase were a real blast, but it was never really replicated elsewhere, with the tablet either used as a map or inventory or, if it's Breath of the Wild, not even that :(

Advertisement