Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Thanks. I'd probably end up buying a few games I wanted and then using an SD card from what I read online haha.

Anyone recommend any games? Always wanted a Wii u and the prices are right. So not is the time.

Off the top of my head that super Mario brothers Wii u is the one I want to play the most. That and Mario kart and super Mario maker.

New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are both still in the 4 for €20 offer in GameStop, add in something like Splatoon and some random other game and you've a good starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    2 questions: Do/did you have a Wii or do you have a Switch?

Have a Wii but no switch.

baldshin wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are both still in the 4 for €20 offer in GameStop, add in something like Splatoon and some random other game and you've a good starting point!

Cheers gonna take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wanna swap your Switch for my WiiU? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just since the Wii U plays Wii games and there are some great Wii games out there. And the switch has a number of Wii U ports with extras/DLC so may prefer those versions.
    But Breath of the Wild is available on Wii U so there's that.
    Bayonetta 1&2
    Lego City Undercover is a fun game. Main downside to it is loading times.
    HD versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Cheers gonna take a look!

Second hand on Adverts for €67.50 delivered is decent!

http://www.adverts.ie/19840593

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

With the old social distancing and whatnot I am thinking about dusting off my Wii U to pass some time over the coming months. I’m not a big gamer - I haven’t played the Wii U or any computer games in couple of years - so I was thinking I’d buy a simple platform game. Right now I am looking at some Lego titles on the gamestop site:

Lego City Undercover
    Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens
    Lego Jurassic World

I had Lego Indiana Jones on PS3 years ago and thought it was good. Does anyone have any recommendation from the list above or any recommendation in general for a similar game readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I would recommend not playing more than 1 lego game. They're very samey, with the primary differences being the script. Strip away the license and the comedy and they're all very linear games of smashing the crap out of scenery to earn blocks. Fun, but not if you plan to 100% 3 of them in a row. Lego City Undercover is great fun but the loading times are a killer on WiiU. Lego Marvel Superheroes on WiiU is a blast, especially in 2 player, and I never quite tired of jumping off the SHIELD Helicarrier and falling all the way down to New York below.

If you want a simple platformer with plenty to do an endless sources of delight, check out Rayman Legends. It's a finely tuned 2d platformer bursting with ideas and sidetracks and collectables - perfect for being locked in the house for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

budgemook wrote: »
    With the old social distancing and whatnot I am thinking about dusting off my Wii U to pass some time over the coming months. I’m not a big gamer - I haven’t played the Wii U or any computer games in couple of years - so I was thinking I’d buy a simple platform game. Right now I am looking at some Lego titles on the gamestop site:

Lego City Undercover
    Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens
    Lego Jurassic World

I had Lego Indiana Jones on PS3 years ago and thought it was good. Does anyone have any recommendation from the list above or any recommendation in general for a similar game readily available?

Lego City Undercover is a good bit different from the other two as it is more an open world game akin to Grand Theft Auto. The other two games would be similar in play style to Lego Indiana Jones that you played previously.

If you can get Lego City Undercover for a cheap price, it's well worth playing. The only downside to it is that the loading times are quite long (although less of an issue now with trying to kill as much time as possible!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

For Wii U - Load of great games - skip Lego games and go for the real GEMS - these should be cheap from CEX or maybe even new from Amazon ... (except BOTW) ... looks around for 2nd hard bargains ... * beside the platform games. Probably loads others too + Wii backward compatibility for mario galaxy et al.
    - BOTW
    - Super Mario 3D World *
    - Pikmin 3
    - Mario Kart
    - Rayman Legends *
    - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze *
    - Wind Waker HD
    - New Super Mario Bros U deluxe ( get this + luigi DLC if you can ) *
    - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    - Yoshi's Wooly World *
    - Mario Maker *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd go for Lego Jurassic World - Lego Force Awakens is good, but there's a new Skywalker Saga game coming out soon, so I'd wait for that.

nintendoo wrote: »
    For Wii U - Load of great games - skip Lego games and go for the real GEMS - these should be cheap from CEX or maybe even new from Amazon ... (except BOTW) ... looks around for 2nd hard bargains ... * beside the platform games. Probably loads others too + Wii backward compatibility for mario galaxy et al.
    - BOTW
    - Super Mario 3D World *
    - Pikmin 3
    - Mario Kart
    - Rayman Legends *
    - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze *
    - Wind Waker HD
    - New Super Mario Bros U deluxe ( get this + luigi DLC if you can ) *
    - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    - Yoshi's Wooly World *
    - Mario Maker *

I have a bunch of these! I played Wind Waker HD and BOTW for a bit but usually get bored - as I say, not much of a gamer these days. I really like DK and the Mario games so might pick them up again.

As for Lego - Undercover doesn’t really appeal to me from what I have read here so might check out the marvel one or Jurassic world. Or perhaps Ray Man instead.

Thanks for the fast replies :)

Just looking at YouTube - Lego City Undercover looks alright actually! Just how bad are the loading times?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Bad enough that we're all sitting here 7 years later at our compupers still complaining?
    But still chuckling at the awesome running Compuper gag?
    Honey should have gotten his own game!

Rayman Legends is wonderful and cheap as chips ! (if you are after a platform game - one of my favourites/if not my favourite)

GameStop have RayMan for 18.50 delivered.
    CEX have Lego City Undercover for 7.50 delivered.

Might pull the trigger this evening on one of them.

Lego City Undercover is great. The loading times are annoying but I'm sure your phone or something can keep you entertained.
    But I lived through the Spectrum era so to me the load times are really quick

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Lego City Undercover is great. The loading times are annoying but I'm sure your phone or something can keep you entertained.
    But I lived through the Spectrum era so to me the load times are really quick

Yes - everything is relative :)

And they auld 3D polygon count and frame rate wasn't great on the Spectrum either. :)

Any ideas on where to buy one these days?
    I see GameStop have none.

Any ideas on where to buy one these days?
    I see GameStop have none.

CEX ?

• Advertisement

nintendoo wrote: »
    CEX ?

Cheers. How did I forget about CEX :pac:

I see a basic 8gb for 100 euro. Good value or a bit too much?

I heard people say the console is only worth around 60-80. Not sure if that's true of not.

Cheers. How did I forget about CEX :pac:

I see a basic 8gb for 100 euro. Good value or a bit too much?

I heard people say the console is only worth around 60-80. Not sure if that's true of not.

You do get some kind of 2 year guarantee in CEX. If you can trust that being available.

It's probably costs a bit more at the moment because of the virus lockdown. I think people are going back to Wii sports etc. I see wiimotes and Wii sports are unavailable in CEX.

sugarman wrote: »
    Unavailable buts tonnes in stock.

There website has been messed up since they resumed online sales the other day.

Ok, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I think lots of retailers have stock in stores that they cannot sell so the would probably start showing again when stores open. A lot of retailers would ship from stores and offer click and collect so that stock would be tied up in store and they might not have any wii-u stock in there warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shakedown: Hawaii coming to Wii on July 9, Wii U and Steam in August
    Shakedown-Hawaii-Wii-Wii-U_06-26-20.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/shakedown-hawaii-coming-to-wii-on-july-9-wii-u-and-steam-in-august

Fair play to him.

sligeach wrote: »
    Shakedown: Hawaii coming to Wii on July 9, Wii U and Steam in August
    Shakedown-Hawaii-Wii-Wii-U_06-26-20.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/shakedown-hawaii-coming-to-wii-on-july-9-wii-u-and-steam-in-august

Fair play to him.

Yep, wow, huge amount of dedication, patience and perseverance to get those out.

That's gonna sell. Collectors and Scalpers will be sure of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Wii version would be great, if only because I could play it on one of my CRT displays.
    It would look sensational on a broadcast monitor, either the Sony or Ikegami

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Wii version would be great, if only because I could play it on one of my CRT displays.
    It would look sensational on a broadcast monitor, either the Sony or Ikegami

And here's me obsessing about what kind of 4k led TV/monitor to get. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

YOUTUBE ENDS SUPPORT FOR THE WII U BROWSER
    End of an era

https://gonintendo.com/stories/364144-youtube-ends-support-for-the-wii-u-browser

Youtube has been a major pain in the @R$€; for the past maybe 6 months or so to watch videos on the Wii U. You could still do it, and you still can. This site helps out in doing so.

Advertisement