Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ha! So it's expensive for you to be doing nothing at work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

LOL! Yes I'm usually very busy all day with crappy internet connection, but was the other way around there for an hour. Wouldnt change a thing!

Cant wait to play Sonic!

Also they are all late birthday presents to myself so, yay happy birthday me!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So Zelda next Friday. Tremendous!

Sadly, I couldn't hold out (because i don't think it will get WiiU release), and i got GTA 5 on 360.

It's amazing. Can't believe i've been looking forward to WW since i heard about it, and now i'm probably gonna buy it and leave it till gta is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Seems only wind waker , sonic lost world and maybe wonderful 101 for me this year considering i dont care for mario games and only thought donkey kong country returns was a okay game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Seems only wind waker , sonic lost world and maybe wonderful 101 for me this year considering i dont care for mario games and only thought donkey kong country returns was a okay game.

No watch dogs cod or ass creed?

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    No watch dogs cod or ass creed?

already own a ps3 and planning picking up a ps4

assassin creed is dead to me with its yearly releases, watchdogs i am getting for the ps4 and cod i have not played since black ops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No Rayman Legends?
    Got it last night as a late birthday present, it's fantastic. And all that "The Murfy levels on WiiU break the pacing..." moaning is bull****, those levels are some of the most hectic fun in the small amount of the game I've played so far. If you find them slow it's 'cause you're playing them slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The update is apparently already out and will contain:

-USB Keyboard
    -Wii Off TV Play (still requires Wii Motes!)
    -Surround Sound support for Wii games (Dolby Pro Logic II)
    -Access Friend's List from Wii U menu directly
    -Upload screens taken when pausing the game directly to blogs and forums using the browser.
    -Option to receive automatically downloaded software from Nintendo.
    -Wii U Chat via headset connected to the Game Pad
    -View PDFs on the Browser.

Edit: Official - http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_update.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-online-gi-update

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Corholio wrote: »
    The update is apparently already out and will contain:

-USB Keyboard

Wonder will they allow you to use it for gaming?

Imagine COD with mouse and keyboard.....bye bye Pc gaming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So with the off screen play of Wii games I think it could be kinda pointless with the Wiimote on the little screen, BUT, I wonder what their plan could be for off screen play for Wii games?

I see a lot of people complaining already that its useless and wanting to be able to map buttons for Wii games to the Gamepad controller.

Now if Ninty have any sense and I'm pretty sure they have thought of this, but what if they release an update each week for certain games, first party only (most likely) that lets you play Wii games on the Gamepad only using the Gamepad as a 'classic controller' instead of using the Wiimotes?

Charge €5 to get the update for each game and you can use the touchscreen if needs be, like in Mario Galaxy to collect the star bits or something. Just like the update they do for released NES/SNES VC games.

They would see a rise in sales of first party Wii games I'm sure of it and still make some cash of people who already have the Wii games. Sounds a little messy but I could see this work. I hate Motion controls tbh.

What y'all think of that?

• Advertisement

I doubt we see any additional rises in sales if they did such a thing with an update since eveyone who wanted galaxy and other wii titles would already have them.

I agree it seems pointless playing off screen wii games still using motion controls . I would of preferred the time and resources to fix the eshop purchases to be tied to the account than system as thats the biggest problem i have with buying digital items on wii u .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Wii off-screen play could be handy for some people. I'm thinking Banjo here, who really only gets to play the Wii U off screen.

Doubt making them playable on the game pad would ever work, as the first party games were the ones that made the most/best use of the Wii remote.

Twilight Princess gamecube style would work lovely. And can't you use classic controller for Smash Brothers?

Why is it taken me an hour and 20 mins to download the system update , its only 700mb

:eek:

Wii Off-TV play has made my day.

I'm going to use my Guitar Hero World Tour drums for the first time since I purchased them on Day 1 and my wife screamed "What's that f*****g noise???" down the stairs at me.

Has this not just made the wiiU an awesome portable system? This is a license to install a WiiU in my car.... Why will no one W00t with me?

PS. does the WiiU tabtroller have some sort of sensor-bar function?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Banjo wrote: »

Didn't even consider that, I'd have no problem with needing to play the game with a wii controller but if you need to be in the room with the Wii U that makes this a whole lot worse that I'd thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

haven't tried it myself, but I believe the Gamepad has a built in sensor in the bit at the top where the camera is

YEah, I remember hearing that but haven't tried it.

Sure if it doesn't, a pair of candles or 2 remotes with buttons sticky-taped down will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why is it taken me an hour and 20 mins to download the system update , its only 700mb

:eek:

Took me about 20/25 mins via the wired lan adaptor

Right i stated numerous times here on boards i am not fond of mario games and while i think its a superb series my thoughts is still the same but my god mario 3d world looks like its going to be the same calibre as super mario galaxy :eek:

• Advertisement

News from direct, is it? Any dates?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    News from direct, is it? Any dates?

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/10-01-2013/

Thanks, dude. Cant watch it just now cos i'm in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Right i stated numerous times here on boards i am not fond of mario games and while i think its a superb series my thoughts is still the same but my god mario 3d world looks like its going to be the same calibre as super mario galaxy :eek:

There's a really good article (I'll link when I remember name of author) explaining the origins of 3d land. Basic point was Nintendo wanted to simplify the 3d games cause some folks didn't like their less linear design. Galaxy was an attempt to address that, with self-contained planetoids so it was always clear where to go and what to do.

But sales disappointed (especially G2) so Nintendo felt they failed again to bring a lot of people with them. Hence 3d land, with levels modelled on the 2d games. So despite what every games journalist appears to think, THIS is now the mainline 3d Mario franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

mario 3d land looks deadly

Radiosonde wrote: »
    There's a really good article (I'll link when I remember name of author) explaining the origins of 3d land. Basic point was Nintendo wanted to simplify the 3d games cause some folks didn't like their less linear design. Galaxy was an attempt to address that, with self-contained planetoids so it was always clear where to go and what to do.

But sales disappointed (especially G2) so Nintendo felt they failed again to bring a lot of people with them. Hence 3d land, with levels modelled on the 2d games. So despite what every games journalist appears to think, THIS is now the mainline 3d Mario franchise.

Is it okay with everyone if i choose not to believe this?

;-)

Theres a boss fight in Super Mario 3D Land where Mario runs after Bowser who is driving a huge purple cadillac throwing bombs and spilling oil.

I'm serious.

As recent Mario games go, that sounds the freshest type of thing in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So 3d World is out in Europe on the 29th November...Yeah, good decision there Nintendo, I'm sure it will be getting all the hype and attention that day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Banjo wrote: »
    Wii Off-TV play has made my day.

I'm going to use my Guitar Hero World Tour drums for the first time since I purchased them on Day 1 and my wife screamed "What's that f*****g noise???" down the stairs at me.

Has this not just made the wiiU an awesome portable system? This is a license to install a WiiU in my car.... Why will no one W00t with me?

It's always had the sensor bar led's built into it either side of the camera.

the gamepad can't be used to control, just wiimotes

If you try to launch wii mode on the gamepad without turning on the tv it tells you to turn on the tv.
    So probably easiest to turn off from the upad and turn back on holding b to boot straight into wii mode if you want to play a wii game.

• Advertisement

Anyone else having problems with viewing videos on Youtube on the browser?

A lot of videos are saying 'This can video can not be played on your device'

Advertisement