Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Windwaker HD is fantastic. I also picked up sonic today!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

cloud493 wrote: »
    Windwaker HD is fantastic. I also picked up sonic today!

Sonic worth a buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Played some Mario U today why is it so damn hard lol + got the extended battery for the gamepad from Amazon not tried it alot yet but it'll probably be worth it when i start Zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Played some Mario U today why is it so damn hard lol + got the extended battery for the gamepad from Amazon not tried it alot yet but it'll probably be worth it when i start Zelda

Mario u is too easy not to hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mario u is too easy not to hard :(

Try Luigi U, it's insane in some sectons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Try Luigi U, it's insane in some sectons.

NSLU is all about timing, go full tilt but hold back a tad on jumps.
    The levels are designed to be cheap, so if you're not going fast enough you run out of time, but if you follow the flow of the level they stick a platform above a jump so you die.
    Pretty bad DLC imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

/\/ollog wrote: »
    NSLU is all about timing, go full tilt but hold back a tad on jumps.
    The levels are designed to be cheap, so if you're not going fast enough you run out of time, but if you follow the flow of the level they stick a platform above a jump so you die.
    Pretty bad DLC imo.

It was very lazy DLC, the exact same world map (including which levels had secret exits), the exact same bosses and I think the only reason they had the levels be 100 seconds is so that they could be really short with little put into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Wii Fit U is available from today? Anyone going for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

CastorTroy wrote: »

I put the trial on my watch list, going to download it later. Already pre-ordered the fit meter at amazon.de for 24 euro, cheapest I could find.
    Maybe I'll actually use it again now :p Haven't wii fitted in about a year.

Ah yeah the whole good intentions thing.

I've started exercising more anyway so will try it out and see how it goes. Have to admit, they're timing to have it available for all the New Year Resolutions. And the trial lasts just as long as those resolutions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

CastorTroy wrote: »

I tried one Smiths and one Gamestop today for the fit meter and neither had it on their shelves and neither had it on their stock list. I just ordered the fit meter from amazon.

Smiths will have the fit meter packaged with the balance board on 7 Dec and Gamestop expect the fit meter to be released on 29 Dec

Think it's just available on the eshop at the moment with the purchase of the Wii fit u meter unlocking the full game. Then it's available at retail next month

I tried one Smiths and one Gamestop today for the fit meter and neither had it on their shelves and neither had it on their stock list. I just ordered the fit meter from amazon.

Smiths will have the fit meter packaged with the balance board on 7 Dec and Gamestop expect the fit meter to be released on 29 Dec

The fit meter is listed on Argos.ie too, but I haven't found it in stock anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

abbir wrote: »
    The fit meter is listed on Argos.ie too, but I haven't found it in stock anywhere.

Yeah, they have the black one and the red one listed, but checkargos.com shows no stock of either in any of the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok so I dont have a Wii U yet.. but am gonna buy one for xmas.

I'm kinda wondering about what joypads to buy though.

It comes with the gamepad but say I have mates over and we want to play the new bowling game thats coming out. I'll need the wii nunchuck and wiimote for that right?

And then what about when the new mario kart comes along? Will I need a classic controller for that or say we wanted to play COD (unlikely) 4 player split screen...

Bottom line is I'm confused on whats needed for what.

My thinking at the moment is I'd need 4 wii motes and nunchucks.

And I'd need 4 of the new normal xbox360 looking controllers.

And lastly 4 classic controllers for classic games?

I'm sure there must be an easier way but I cant see it.

Console itself with the gamepad for 1 player stuff all looks great but its the local multiplayer stuff that Nintendo does so well that I'm looking forward to playing but its hard to know whats what.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You need
    1 x Control Pad
    4 x Pro Controller
    4 x WiiMote + 4x Motion+ or 4xWiiMote With Motion+
    4xNunChuck
    4xClassic Controller
    1xBalance Board
    2xMariokart Wheel grips (you will never find 4 people who want to use the wheel at the same time, 2 will cover you)
    1xGH Drums and 1xRB 2or3 Drums (with the additional cymbals - The guitars are cross functional but the drum layouts are different. Trust me, get both)
    2xGH Guitar
    2xWiiMote Pistol Grips
    2xZapper / Wiimote Rifle grip
    2xhigh heels with WiiMote heel straps if you're some kind of Bayonetta obsessive
    2xArcade stick. Make that 4, 2 Wii ones, 2 WiiU ones - not sure the Hori WiiU stick is backwards compatible.
    that ought to do you.
    Assorted plastic golf, tennis, sword, snooker etc grips that you will use only when drunk and playing WiiSports with extended family
    Oh, and a room to put that all in.

Banjo wrote: »
    You need
    1 x Control Pad
    4 x Pro Controller
    4 x WiiMote + 4x Motion+ or 4xWiiMote With Motion+
    4xNunChuck
    4xClassic Controller
    1xBalance Board
    2xMariokart Wheel grips (you will never find 4 people who want to use the wheel at the same time, 2 will cover you)
    1xGH Drums and 1xRB 2or3 Drums (with the additional cymbals - The guitars are cross functional but the drum layouts are different. Trust me, get both)
    2xGH Guitar
    2xWiiMote Pistol Grips
    2xZapper / Wiimote Rifle grip
    2xhigh heels with WiiMote heel straps if you're some kind of Bayonetta obsessive
    2xArcade stick. Make that 4, 2 Wii ones, 2 WiiU ones - not sure the Hori WiiU stick is backwards compatible.
    that ought to do you.
    Assorted plastic golf, tennis, sword, snooker etc grips that you will use only when drunk and playing WiiSports with extended family
    Oh, and a room to put that all in.

haha good post. I'll start building the extension so.

In all seriousness though. I can do without all the add on rubbish like a plastic steering wheel's and all the assorted rubbish but I do want the relevant controllers.

It looks to me that I'll need.

4x wiimote and wii nunchuck (for mario kart, wii sports, etc..)
    4x wii U pro controller (for the likes of super smash bros when it comes or COD for example... although not COD but an FPS of some sort)

and if I want to play any of the older games from the wii shop like Mario Kart 64 for example (dont even know if thats available) but if it is I would need the wii classic controllers x4?

I dont know. It seems like a lot of controllers and a LOT of money if you go with Ninteno branded ones. Deal Extreme do the wiimote and nunchucks for a reasonable price so thats that part sorted but the wii pro controllers are expensive and I cant seem to find unbranded ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

If you are playing Mario Kart Wii on the Wii U can you still play online multiplayer?

In all seriousness though. I can do without all the add on rubbish like a plastic steering wheel's and all the assorted rubbish but I do want the relevant controllers.

4x wii U pro controller (for the likes of super smash bros when it comes or COD for example... although not COD but an FPS of some sort)

and if I want to play any of the older games from the wii shop like Mario Kart 64 for example (dont even know if thats available) but if it is I would need the wii classic controllers x4?

I dont know. It seems like a lot of controllers and a LOT of money if you go with Ninteno branded ones. Deal Extreme do the wiimote and nunchucks for a reasonable price so thats that part sorted but the wii pro controllers are expensive and I cant seem to find unbranded ones.

If you're playing Wii U games multi player, you'd usually only need either the Wiimote + Nunchuck OR the Pro Controller.

The Pro Controller obviously won't work for any old Wii games, they'd need the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

The likes of Mario Kart / Wii Sports Bowling only need the Wiimote, they don't need the Nunchuck.

Wii Virtual console games vary, depending on the platform they were originally on. NES games work with just the Wiimote, SNES games need the Classic Controller. I'd personally not bother getting that though, unless you know for sure you want to play the Wii VC games, and they won't be coming to the Wii U VC.

If you're playing Wii U games multi player, you'd usually only need either the Wiimote + Nunchuck OR the Pro Controller.

The Pro Controller obviously won't work for any old Wii games, they'd need the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

The likes of Mario Kart / Wii Sports Bowling only need the Wiimote, they don't need the Nunchuck.

Wii Virtual console games vary, depending on the platform they were originally on. NES games work with just the Wiimote, SNES games need the Classic Controller. I'd personally not bother getting that though, unless you know for sure you want to play the Wii VC games, and they won't be coming to the Wii U VC.

Fair play for that. So sounds like I should get the 4x Wiimote and Nunchuck to start and see from there then so.

I'm worse than a kid. Can not wait to get the console now I have to say. Something about Nintendo and Christmas that just goes so well together. I'm such a big child really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

My advice would be to just pick up the wiimotes and leave the rest until later. Don't even bother with the nunchucks at first. You may find that you never really need to buy anything more.

There are loads of fun multiplayer games that need nothing beyond a few wiimotes. For example, of the classic Wii Sports games, only one required more than a wiimote (boxing, which needed an attached nunchuck). As Damo mentioned above, Mario Kart Wii could be played with just a wiimote, and I expect the same will be true of Mario Kart 8. The upcoming Super Mario 3D World is played with wiimotes. New Super Mario Bros U is played with wiimotes. Etc. (I'm pretty sure Nintendo are doing this as a matter of policy.)

So don't worry about all the other bits 'n' bobs. You can pick them up later, when (or if) you feel you need them. You certainly won't miss 'em on Christmas morning :)

Has anyone seen the Mario and Luigi remotes available? They're listed on the Smyths site as having come out on the 8th but not in stock in any of their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Banjo wrote: »

1276505724942.png

My advice would be to just pick up the wiimotes and leave the rest until later. Don't even bother with the nunchucks at first. You may find that you never really need to buy anything more.

There are loads of fun multiplayer games that need nothing beyond a few wiimotes. For example, of the classic Wii Sports games, only one required more than a wiimote (boxing, which needed an attached nunchuck). As Damo mentioned above, Mario Kart Wii could be played with just a wiimote, and I expect the same will be true of Mario Kart 8. The upcoming Super Mario 3D World is played with wiimotes. New Super Mario Bros U is played with wiimotes. Etc. (I'm pretty sure Nintendo are doing this as a matter of policy.)

So don't worry about all the other bits 'n' bobs. You can pick them up later, when (or if) you feel you need them. You certainly won't miss 'em on Christmas morning :)

That's cool cheers. Wiimotes it is for now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Look, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but I vividly remember the morning of Stephen's Day 2006 trying to find somewhere that was both open and selling Nunchucks so my family could Wii-Box the heads off eachother. Look in your heart - Sure, Golf and Bowling are great but you KNOW which one was the best sport... With Wii Sports getting relaunched on the WiiU, I would have 2 Nunchucks on hand at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Any decent games coming out for Wii U before xmas? I bought one months ago but hardly played due to the paucity of decent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Any decent games coming out for Wii U before xmas? I bought one months ago but hardly played due to the paucity of decent games.

Super Mario 3D World, which is out the 29th. There's a few pretty good games out now as well if you haven't got anything the last few months.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Super Mario 3D World, which is out the 29th. There's a few pretty good games out now as well if you haven't got anything the last few months.

Wonder what the chances of a bundle with mario 3d world are before xmas for €299 like the current zelda and mario offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

two Wii remotes with Nunchucks are all your are going to need right now.

Pro Controller will work with all Virtual Console games.

• Advertisement

Valentine1 wrote: »
    two Wii remotes with Nunchucks are all your are going to need right now.

Pro Controller will work with all Virtual Console games.

The Pro Controller won't work with Wii Virtual Console games, only Wii U ones.

Advertisement