Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

For anyone looking to get motion plus wiimote and nunchuck, I used www.dx.com to get one for 20dollars. I haven't got a link handy but I ordered 3 more of them after testing it last night and it worked fine. There's a few of them on there but the one I got was a staff pick and cost under 20dollars for both remote and nunchuck. Great value and works from what I can see.

edit - link... http://dx.com/p/remote-with-motionplus-silicone-sleeve-nunchuck-controller-set-for-wii-blue-2-x-aa-70788

btw I've never used a proper motion plus one so I cant comment on the difference. The plastic seems a bit cheap to me but it works perfectly for me anyway. No problem snyc'ing it etc like a few of the reviews mentioned. Battery life as I said I didnt have a Nintendo one so I dont know the difference. I'll probably buy a recharging set on dx.com though cause they're fairly cheap from what I can see. Its a pain looking for AA batterys the whole time. Between the 360 pad and now this.

On a side note played Rayman legends with the wife, yes the wife! last night. She loves it. Can't believe I'm playing co op video games with her. Thank you Nintendo for Wii U and thank you ubisoft for making such an excellent game.

Overall having a great time with console so far. So much for putting it under the tree again for Xmas day. And when I mentioned to the wife that I could put mario 3d world under the tree when it comes she said don't be silly. I think wii u may have awoken a gamer in her!! Lol

Great news! Rayman is best when played with at least 2 people! And Mario 3D World is multiplayer too... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Great news! Rayman is best when played with at least 2 people! And Mario 3D World is multiplayer too... :D

Yeah I think she's looking forward to Mario more than me at this stage and I cant wait!! The reviews and the adverts on telly just look superb.

As for Rayman at the start we didnt really get it but once the wife took the gamepad and was doing all the cutting of ropes and hitting the flaming eyes and left me to do the actual platforming it went down a treat.

I'd say we played it for well over an hour. It took sooooo long for the update it was late when we started playing. I pity kids on xmas morning with that update although it'll build the suspense I suppose.

Didnt even get to open Lego City Undercover yet. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Pics as promised...

Bloody things still uploading.

Amazon refunded the postage.

While I was on to them I mentioned the description had Nintendo and batman included so he said he send them out. Made me buy them while he was on the line and cleared the cost.

So delighted console and 4 games for £199 sterling. Nice.

I wasn't going to bother about the incorrect description having originally said to include batman and nintendoland (it's since been changed) so after about 10 emails back and forth to Amazon cs I go the extra 2 gratis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, what the latest on Gamecube games in the eshop. Is that happening?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads, what the latest on Gamecube games in the eshop. Is that happening?

Thanks a million.

No word yet but given that we are still waiting on N64 games I'd say we are in for quite a wait.

• Advertisement

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    No word yet but given that we are still waiting on N64 games I'd say we are in for quite a wait.

Thats why I still have my N64 under the telly. That and nostalgia. I loves me my N64! :D

I dont have a Gamecube under the telly though so would welcome some gamecube exclusives.

Two IP's I'd love to see come the Wii U are a new FZero and a new Lylat Wars/Starfox 64.

I wouldnt say either are likely any time soon though. :(:mad:

The gas thing is if they made a new lylat wars and made the gameplay as close to the N64 version as possible I'd say it'd be a cult hit.

People like me still play it on the N64 regularly for cryin out loud.

You'd think if they're resurrecting the likes of Pikmin surely Lylat wars would sell just as well if not better. I'd say a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Thats why I still have my N64 under the telly. That and nostalgia. I loves me my N64! :D

I dont have a Gamecube under the telly though so would welcome some gamecube exclusives.

Two IP's I'd love to see come the Wii U are a new FZero and a new Lylat Wars/Starfox 64.

I wouldnt say either are likely any time soon though. :(:mad:

The gas thing is if they made a new lylat wars and made the gameplay as close to the N64 version as possible I'd say it'd be a cult hit.

People like me still play it on the N64 regularly for cryin out loud.

You'd think if they're resurrecting the likes of Pikmin surely Lylat wars would sell just as well if not better. I'd say a lot better.

I totally agree, I'm not one for a load of HD remakes but I'd love if they did a HD upgrade of FZero GX. Missed it on the cube and it sounds like it was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi guys. If i buy a wii u console that includes new mario bros wii u what
    Do i need to buy to let me play 2 player multiplayer? I have a old wii

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi guys. If i buy a wii u console that includes new mario bros wii u what
    Do i need to buy to let me play 2 player multiplayer? I have a old wii

Thanks

To play multiplayer you need wii remotes, so if you have 2 of them with your old wii you're good to go.

abbir wrote: »
    To play multiplayer you need wii remotes, so if you have 2 of them with your old wii you're good to go.

I have 1 old one and the wii u comes with another so i should be good? Thanks again

• Advertisement

I have 1 old one and the wii u comes with another so i should be good? Thanks again

Are you sure the Wii U comes with another one? If it does come with another Wii remote (so you'll have two) then you're good. Most Wii Us only come with the Gamepad and then you will need another remote for multiplayer.

Bah. Good thing i asked so! Assumed player1 could use the controller and player2 a remote!

This is what turns me off the wii abit, too many different inputs for games. Will still be picking it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

New Super Mario Bros Wii U supports the included Gamepad as a controller so one person can use that, while another can use the old Wii Remote you already have. :) It depends on the game but many of them support using both the Gamepad and Wii Remote as a controller so may not be a need to splash out on another Wii Remote yet. :)

New Super Mario Bros Wii U supports the included Gamepad as a controller so one person can use that, while another can use the old Wii Remote you already have. :) It depends on the game but many of them support using both the Gamepad and Wii Remote as a controller so may not be a need to splash out on another Wii Remote yet. :)

Unfortunately with Mario U, you can only use the Gamepad for one player mode. In multiplayer mode you can't use the Gamepad. You need Wii remotes (or Wii U pro controllers) for every player in multiplayer.

Getting confused now lol.

Unfortunately with Mario U, you can only use the Gamepad for one player mode. In multiplayer mode you can't use the Gamepad. You need Wii remotes (or Wii U pro controllers) for every player in multiplayer.

Google agrees with you so good enough for me! Will get another wiimote. thanks

I don't understand why Nintendo did it but in New Super Mario Bros U if you're playing with two players, you need two wii remotes. You cannot use the gamepad for one of the players. I know this as I play the game regularly with my nephew and I have to use a Wii remote then, when I would much rather control using the Gamepad.

Batman arkam origins and Nintendo land just arrived via ups.

Gotta love amazons **** up

Wii u and 4 games for £199 sterling including delivery.

One happy Nintendo man here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

To further confusion, Super Mario 3DWorld allows player 1 to use the gamepad while others can use any of the other controllers as player 2,3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I don't understand why Nintendo did it but in New Super Mario Bros U if you're playing with two players, you need two wii remotes. You cannot use the gamepad for one of the players. I know this as I play the game regularly with my nephew and I have to use a Wii remote then, when I would much rather control using the Gamepad.

My bad, apologies! Ah Nintendo and their lack of basic logic...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

/\/ollog wrote: »
    In December the youtube app is supposed to be getting an update, it'll let you watch stuff on the gamepad then.

Using this now. It's miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The reason for the multiple Wii remotes in New Super Mario Bros U is that the screen on the controller can be used to tap in temporary platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I "have" a Wii U. Unfortunately for me, it is still residing in an Amazon warehouse. I ordered on Thursday morning in the lightening deal and was really hoping that it would leave on Friday and be travelling over the weekend.

I am getting Nintendoland, ZombiU, Sonic & All Stars Racing with the pack and I've added Mario 3D to that order.

I'll look to get a Wii meter and a balance board so i can get Wii Fit going on it. Pick up two Wii controllers second hand as well? And I can probably justify another game. Maybe Rayman or Zelda?

I've been torturing myself by looking at youtube videos and reviews. I really want Mario Kart.

I never owned a Nintendo console before, mainly Sega growing up, then the first playstation (ok) and the first Xbox (meh), and then skipped the last generation of consoles entirely in favour of my pc. The Wii U is an impulse buy, I had been thinking abut jumping back in with a PS4, but the more I read up on it, the more I think I've made the right decision for the immediate future. And the youtube videos remind me of how much fun i had when I borrowed a game cube for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

The reason for the multiple Wii remotes in New Super Mario Bros U is that the screen on the controller can be used to tap in temporary platforms.

That's only in boost modo, in normal play it didn't let you do that.
    Disclaimer: haven't played the game in months.

got my wii u! music is poor i have to say in nsmb u. the old 8 and 16-bit renditions were much better. so was the control in smw smb3. still like it alot though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was holding out for a PS4 but I bought a Wii U yesterday. Haven't been gaming in a while and glad I got it. Got Zelda bundle and Mario 3D world. I'll be having a look now but any recommendations for other games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before and on one hand I am tempted to get it, but I don't know, I wonder how suitable it'll be for solo play. I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on that, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

druss wrote: »
    I "have" a Wii U. Unfortunately for me, it is still residing in an Amazon warehouse. I ordered on Thursday morning in the lightening deal and was really hoping that it would leave on Friday and be travelling over the weekend.

I am getting Nintendoland, ZombiU, Sonic & All Stars Racing with the pack and I've added Mario 3D to that order.

I'll look to get a Wii meter and a balance board so i can get Wii Fit going on it. Pick up two Wii controllers second hand as well? And I can probably justify another game. Maybe Rayman or Zelda?

I've been torturing myself by looking at youtube videos and reviews. I really want Mario Kart.

I never owned a Nintendo console before, mainly Sega growing up, then the first playstation (ok) and the first Xbox (meh), and then skipped the last generation of consoles entirely in favour of my pc. The Wii U is an impulse buy, I had been thinking abut jumping back in with a PS4, but the more I read up on it, the more I think I've made the right decision for the immediate future. And the youtube videos remind me of how much fun i had when I borrowed a game cube for a bit.

Same here I've had very little contact with anything Nintendo (dismissing it as childish as such) and being a Playstation kid since 98, only playing a gameboy for Mario Kart (GBA) and Pokemon Red, Yellow, Silver (which all kids boys and girls were FANATICAL about at the time, that made the Twilight phenomonen look small)

Looking at the WII U has got me excited gaming in a way I haven't seen with the PS4 and everything just look so colourful and fun, and no pretensions. Reminding me why I got into gaming in the first place

I'll no doubt get a PS4 later down the road, but that the only thing that interests me FFXV and even that series sailed down river out to ocean about 10 years ago, but I keep coming back like an abusive relationship.

Plus the WII U has X from Monolithsoft which is most formely Squaresoft employees, so that's where the real talent went, that and Mistwalker as well.

On an unrelated side note: Its sad how the 3 big franchises/companies that started my gaming have all slid of in quality: Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and even Metal Gear, if I'm been honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Adamantium wrote: »
    Same here I've had very little contact with anything Nintendo (dismissing it as childish as such)
    Well, when I started I was a child. Been playing Nintendo consoles since the NES and have never gone wrong in purchasing any Nintendo console.
    On an unrelated side note: Its sad how the 3 big franchises/companies that started my gaming have all slid of in quality: Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and even Metal Gear, if I'm been honest
    Final Fantasy have always been the best known, but not the best JRPGs. Whether they come out with better stuff or not isn't so big a deal considering how quality games can be got elsewhere. The franchise isn't dead to me in the same way Resi is though, and I'll keep an eye out to see what is going on with Final Fantasy games.

Resi, pretty much been dead to me since 5. I don't expect anything good from that franchise any more.

Metal Gear, are you including 4 in that? I wouldn't, but I know a lot of people do. As for Revengence, wasn't interested enough to follow that. But a slide in quality? You must have seen the Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain stuff. Really think it looks to be a slide in quality? I have to tell you, I don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've never played a Monster Hunter game before and on one hand I am tempted to get it, but I don't know, I wonder how suitable it'll be for solo play. I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on that, actually.

On WiiU its not that pretty but if you can get past the mind numbing first 2 hours it's fantastic. It's like a solo mmo, grinding epic boss fights for rare drops to craft better gear to fight more epic bosses. There is online co-op but I never bothered with it, still got my money's worth.

Read the MH3 thread in games \ games for the full skinny on how to play - this is a game that has little patience for button mashers or newbies

Advertisement