Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

My tellys a 37" lg led.

But your right gamepad rocks.

Played nsmb earlier for over an hour on the gamepad. Finally at the frozen wintery Christmassy lookin level

Mine was a 92" 1080p screen and I still like playing on just the pad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Banjo wrote: »
    You have omitted a key piece of info required to answer the question : how good is your television?

Mine's a CRT : The Wii pad screen rules!

Likewise!

The pad is 480P, which beats out CRTs..feels weird :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

smokingman wrote: »
    Mine was a 92" 1080p screen and I still like playing on just the pad

92", Holy ****!

That would hardly fit in our living room.

I think Nintendo are really missing a great selling opportunity in the game pad. Look how Vita sales have spike with the release of the PS4.

Remote play is a huge selling point imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I think Nintendo are really missing a great selling opportunity in the game pad. Look how Vita sales have spike with the release of the PS4.

Remote play is a huge selling point imo.

Completely agree. I've played a lot of Mario over Christmas and even though I start off looking at the TV, every time I finish a level I find myself looking at the screen on the Gamepad. I don't even notice it happening!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Completely agree. I've played a lot of Mario over Christmas and even though I start off looking at the TV, every time I finish a level I find myself looking at the screen on the Gamepad. I don't even notice it happening!

I played 2 hours of nsmb wii u earlier whilst the missus watched some crap on the telly.

That's the sort of message they need to advertise somehow.

I actually looked at my stats earlier and it works out that I played around 30hours on the wii u so far 70% on the gamepad which if anything will increase as I won't be looking to see what a specific game would look like on the telly or playing multiplayer with mates like you do over Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I played 2 hours of nsmb wii u earlier whilst the missus watched some crap on the telly.

That's the sort of message they need to advertise somehow.

I actually looked at my stats earlier and it works out that I played around 30hours on the wii u so far 70% on the gamepad which if anything will increase as I won't be looking to see what a specific game would look like on the telly or playing multiplayer with mates like you do over Xmas.

Hackers reverse engineer Wii U Gamepad to play PC games

Sort of related. This could also be a good development for the Wii U. Nintendo could inadvertently undercut the Steam machine market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hi guys, is it possible to play Ocarina of Time on Wii U?

I haven't played it in about 10 years and really want to enjoy it on a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hi guys, is it possible to play Ocarina of Time on Wii U?

Yep! It'll be just the tiniest bit finicky, though.

Ocarina of Time isn't available yet on the Wii U eshop, but can be purchased from the Wii shop. And the Wii U is able to emulate Wii software.

So once you've set up your brand new Wii U, you'd start its "Wii" app, which presents you with an emulated Wii interface. From there, you'd start the "Wii Shop" app, and buy Ocarina of Time (for a tenner, if I remember correctly). Ocarina of Time would download and appear as an app within the Wii interface.

Now any time you want to play Ocarina of Time, you start the Wii U's Wii app, and then play the game from within that. I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it really is.

When (if?) Nintendo eventually makes OoT available on the Wii U shop, you'll be able to upgrade your purchase for a euro or two, if you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The above post is exactly how I have Majoras Mask on the WiiU.
    Haven't played it though, so damned awkward to access.
    I already have it though, as a gold cart on the N64 and as a part of the LoZ bonus disk on the GC.
    I'm hoping Nintendo see the sense in releasing it for the 3DS in the same manner as OoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm hoping Nintendo see the sense in releasing it for the 3DS in the same manner as OoT.

I'm really hoping that they do (and thinking that they will!)
    If you've played Link Between Worlds, there's a not-so-subtle nod to it hanging on Link's wall right at the very start:
    https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW5ElYyqg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Amazon lady

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me check the other thread and put in the settings I entered should work then took me 4 hours to get it sorted!
    Can anyone copy and paste it here as I cant find the other thread, its driving me crazy!

Can anyone copy and paste it here as I cant find the other thread, its driving me crazy!

I think this may be the info you're looking for.

Thank You the happyworm, still doesnt work, what a head wreck!
    :eek:

Damn. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about computer networking myself.

It occurs to me that we haven't actually said what we're talking about here. The only reason I guessed your problem is that I think I had the same or a similar problem setting up my Wii U a couple of weeks ago. Maybe if you describe exactly what's wrong, some other forum user—one who's smarter than me—will be able to help?

Are you having that issue where the Wii U sees your wi-fi network, but won't connect to it? Even though your 3DS will quite happily connect to the network, using the exact same settings?

Hi thehappyworm. I started out with my wii u picking up my wifi net work but not connecting, now it has finally connected but still wont connect to the actual internet. Its very annoying, I have a wii,lap top and iphone connected to the same internet so I know thats not the problem. Jeez, I would have thought something so new and more modern would connect very easily but it seems lots of people are having the same problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hi thehappyworm. I started out with my wii u picking up my wifi net work but not connecting, now it has finally connected but still wont connect to the actual internet. Its very annoying, I have a wii,lap top and iphone connected to the same internet so I know thats not the problem. Jeez, I would have thought something so new and more modern would connect very easily but it seems lots of people are having the same problems!

When I set up mine initially, I found the problem was the security type on the router. For some reason it wouldn't connect to the WPA2 connection so I had to change the security type on my router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Thanks thehappyworm! One more question, are the controls awkward when playing n64 or gamecube games on the wii u since the controller is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Just a random Monday thought:

How great would it be if Nintendo revealed Timesplitters 4 as an exclusive similar to Bayonetta 2? If ever there was a Nintendo-like FPS that is it.

Fawk Nin wrote: »

How great would it be if Nintendo revealed Timesplitters 4 as an exclusive similar to Bayonetta 2? If ever there was a Nintendo-like FPS that is it.

:eek: Why would you ever raise these thoughts? Now I'm going to be plagued by them!!! D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Would anyone happen to know the cheapest placer to get a Wii U? Or best value?

• Advertisement

So I got three more wiimotes and nunchucks through the post today along with a protector for the gamepad and some screen protectors.

(The blue one outside the packaging I bought a few months ago as a tester, after it worked grand I ordered more)

Typical that the wiimotes and nunchucks didn't arrive pre Xmas but cest la vie I suppose.

Roll on mario kart and super smash bros!!

85F6AF72-F0F9-4890-A4C6-D6DBD2CF9A59.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fawk Nin wrote: »

There's already a Timesplitters coming, a F2P title on PC.

A few random thoughts..

1. I don't like the new music in the backround of the home screen. I rather the cheerful Xmas music.

2. In 3 days time I'll have owned a wii u for one full month. In this time I've clocked up just over 50hours, mainly gameplay mixed with a small bit of Internet usage and miiverse. The gamepad has made a massive difference to my gaming time. I'd have gotten nowhere near that type of usage on my 360.

3. And lastly I dont mind admitting that I miss Lego City. There i said it! Considering getting all OCD on it and collecting things, side missions etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Been using the Wii U in tv mode the last few nights...one thing that struck me, when the main screen is up on the tv, it puts the mii verse thing on the pad & I can't browse or move the cursor on the tv screen. The onyl way I can do it, is to swap the main screen back to the pad & navigate from there. Is this normal? I can't remember :o

Do you mean the plaza? If so, yeah, that's normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Do you mean the plaza? If so, yeah, that's normal.

Actually yeah I think it's the plaza, there's loads of little Mii's posting stuff etc. When I move the stick the camera just pans slightly, & I can zoom in & out. So I have to switch the icons to the pad to navigate? Cool, I blanked completely there & couldn't remember if this was normal or not :o

Yeah that's it. You can zoom in to the individual games and tap on the Miis to see their posts etc...

Still can't get over some of the drawings that people have done on it!

Yeah that's it. You can zoom in to the individual games and tap on the Miis to see their posts etc...

Still can't get over some of the drawings that people have done on it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Some serious artist on there.

Mario and Zelda stuff in particular has been done to a seriously high quality.

Then again I can only draw stick men so maybe I'm not a great judge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its one of the joys of Wind Waker HD, when you open up bottles of random art or hundreds of pics of Link taking selfies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone played scribblenauts on wii u?? Thoughts??

Advertisement